Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Warmachine: Tactics

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I quit 40k several years before WHFB because it was just a plain shit game through and through. There was never any substance to it.

At the very least, WHFB had movement rules that made mobility have more depth to it, stronger emphasis on mobility thanks to the powerful effects of a charge, focus on breaking the opposing unit through morale, and a fairly strategic magic system. You still needed a big fucking table with good terrain tho (yours truly specialized in having lots of modular terrain, from hills to rivers to buildings to woods; most of the stuff I had was generic so it could be recycled anywhere, now serving a Warmachine function)

Then the new edition shat on all of that and made it rock-em-sock-em megablocks.

So, it was shit, but you played it.

And did someone force you to play with the changes they made and didn't like?

Sounds to me like a typical case of "hurr company did something I didn't like i'll hate everything they ever did from now on".

Warmachine tabletop is way better than Warhammer/40k both in aesthetics

I may not know how these games play, but :lol:
Warmachine is animu steampunk. It looks like shit through and through. Not that I particularly like Warhammer's look, mind you.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Actually no, nobody did. I simply stopped playing when the new edition came out, and didn't buy any of the rulebooks afterwards. I've still got all the older stuff, so if the mood hits I can just unpack the 2k point armies I've got and play a game with the old rules. Haven't bought a GW product outside of some generic terrain and Green Stuff in ages.

I do enjoy derping about Warmachine being anime steampunk, when it only requires having an attention span slightly longer than that of a CoD fan to learn that only some of Cygnar models have spiky hair (which is the sole basis of these conclusions, every time)... Which is actually due to the fact Cygnar's warcasters and Stormcallers are pretty big on having a SHITLOAD of electricity around them. Otherwise the aesthetic style is more rooted in American comic books. And it also goes without saying that Privateer Press has higher quality model line.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I simply stopped playing when the new edition came out,

Yeah, see, that doesn't make sense.
I don't like the new edition so now I'll hate the old editions as well. It's like hating Fallout 1 because Fallout 3 sucked.

that only some of Cygnar models have spiky hair (which is the sole basis of these conclusions, every time)

Actually no, I didn't even see the spiky hair you're talking about. The whole things looks animu. The color schemes, the overall design, the fucking warjacks are animu to the core and not near as "cool" looking as they try to make them appear. The only thing missing is big eyes to be full on animu.

Snerf

Learned
"The color schemes" look animu? Now you're just spouting shit.

GW saw the anime craze years back and created an entire army capitalizing on mechas and animu aesthetics (Tau). Warmachine has been steampunk/WW1/high fantasy inspired from the start. But some how steam and human soul powered iron machines makes it anime? Riiight.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
"The color schemes" look animu? Now you're just spouting shit.

GW saw the anime craze years back and created an entire army capitalizing on mechas and animu aesthetics (Tau). Warmachine has been steampunk/WW1/high fantasy inspired from the start. But some how steam and human soul powered iron machines makes it anime? Riiight.

retribution-of-scyrah.jpg

Retribution-of-Scyrah-Hyperion-Colossal-2.jpg

Retribution-of-Scyrah-2.jpg

Warmachine-Scyrah-Destoren.png

:desu:

(God I hate Scyrah...)

Vaarna_Aarne

I simply stopped playing when the new edition came out,

Yeah, see, that doesn't make sense.
I don't like the new edition so now I'll hate the old editions as well. It's like hating Fallout 1 because Fallout 3 sucked.
I quite 40k completely because I reached the conclusion it was a shit game compared to WHFB. Having played more tabletop games since, I've also reached the conclusion WHFB was way, wayyyyyyy behind the curve even in its prime.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Welp. they broke one million kwabucks. But unless they answer the Kodex Kritikal Kuestions we sent them for the interview, I'm not pledging.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Kickstarter over.

$1,578,950 out of $550,000 goal.

Stretch Goals met:
- Khador and Cryx as playable factions
- Mercenaries as playable faction
- 8-or-so different hirable mercenaries
- Retribution of Scyrah (ugh) as playable faction
- Two single-player mission packs (one of which can be played co-op)
- Onslaught mode (co-op vs endless waves of enemies)
- Character colouring system a la Dawn of War
- Warjacks and Warcasters from Apotheosis

Goals that WERE NOT met:
- Replays and spectator mode
- Map editor

I'm a bit :x that the two most interesting goals were the last ones. How about we dump the elves and mercs and you give us replays, spectator mode and map editor, k?

On the bright side, they said a couple of updates ago that stretch goals that weren't met were planned additions that may come on their own down the line if the game is successful. Here's hoping.

Branm

Learned
Hmmm first kickstarter I have seen that removed their not hit stretch goals as soon as it funded....Weird.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Warmachine Tactics, to be released August 2014. Based on the table-top skirmish wargame of the same name.
Video game is turn based tactics. Not sure if squad or skirmish level. Base engine seems to be XCOM-like but it has special stuff like Warjacks (steam-powered mechs that are twice the size of XCOM MECS), and spellcasters.

Pre-alpha gameplay starting at ~8:00

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, I don't like it. It's like a more cartoony mix of WHFB and 40k. I mean the style, because the miniatures do look better than the GW ones (well they're bigger scale so they should anyway).

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They managed to get even more nonsensically oversized pauldrons than the Space Marines and Chaos warriors. That is a feat in itself.

Eyeball

Arcane
Could we please stop naming every game with minor strategic elements "Something: Tactics?" It wasn't clever when Final Fantasy did it, it ain't clever now.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, these make for dull titles, but are pretty accurate description of what you will do in the game : mostly tactical battles with no strategic element (FFT had none, Fallout:Tactics neither). Warmaching being a tabletop tactical game at its core, the Warmachine : tactics is redundant indeed.

Vaarna_Aarne

They managed to get even more nonsensically oversized pauldrons than the Space Marines and Chaos warriors. That is a feat in itself.
It goes to tongue-in-cheek levels too. Vladimir Tzepesci only gets bigger and bigger pauldrons. His second epic model's (newest one) pauldrons are bigger than his torso. Each.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well, these make for dull titles, but are pretty accurate description of what you will do in the game : mostly tactical battles with no strategic element (FFT had none, Fallout:Tactics neither). Warmaching being a tabletop tactical game at its core, the Warmachine : tactics is redundant indeed.
I just realized that Final Fantasy Tactics is considered a Strategy RPG.

Anyways, I think the Warmachine video game is smaller in scale than the tabletop game (or at least, the tournament point levels). So as the tabletop game is considered a Skirmish game, it's not redundant to say that a small-scaled Warmachine: Skirmish becomes Warmachine: Tactics.

Probably the bigger reason of the "redundant" name is that people who don't know about the tabletop game is don't know it's a tactical game. Most people's first thoughts would be towards Iron Man's "black best friend."

Off topic but I'm buying my first Infinity box in a few hours. I would've started Warmachine by now (my faction choice is clear, eh?) also but things have been quiet (so no games to watch/demo) because there was a recent big tournament.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Excidium said:
(well they're bigger scale so they should anyway).
Except it's the same scale..?

But I can understand your opinion. I myself find several of the factions of Warmachine painfully generic looking. It's only one or two factions I subjectively consider aesthetically interesting.

teehee

But IMO I think the light/medium infantry in Warmachine look really great. It's the heavy infantry that get cartoony, and of course warjacks have tiny ass legs.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You know, there are also new updates about the game. Well, sort of.

I couldn't be arsed to shift through all of them, the others might show more gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom