Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Was Obsidian the Smart Choice for Fallout: New Vegas?

MetalCraze

Arcane
merchant's skeleton said:
Not key people by any stretch but credit where credit is due.
We were talking about key people, not janitors.

Blackadder said:
FU worked on FO1. I believe he did a lot of work on the Boneyard, and also polished a lot of the Hub.

Really? I was under the impression that he stayed away from the 'budget' team doing Fallout and let them do their own thing so long as it didn't interfere with the 'Big Budget' games like Baldur's Gate.

In his own words.

tunguska

Liturgist
Blackadder said:
FU worked on FO1. I believe he did a lot of work on the Boneyard, and also polished a lot of the Hub.

Really? I was under the impression that he stayed away from the 'budget' team doing Fallout and let them do their own thing so long as it didn't interfere with the 'Big Budget' games like Baldur's Gate.

You are aware that Baldur's Gate was a Bioware title, right? At least it was developed by Bioware and no one else. BIS/Interplay was just the publisher.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
tunguska said:
You are aware that Baldur's Gate was a Bioware title, right? At least it was developed by Bioware and no one else. BIS/Interplay was just the publisher.

Considering that none of the internal Bioware-people had much experience with games, since their first game, Shattered Steel, was released just before BG and they made them partially in-tandem - we can safely say that Interplay helped them along the way more than just what the credits account.

Plus Interplay did all the audio, both music and sounds and VA for BG - Bioware's own guy, John Winski, just programmed them into the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"All the key people who worked on F1/2 are also working on NV."

Bullshit.

"Considering that none of the internal Bioware-people had much experience with games, since their first game, Shattered Steel, was released just before BG and they made them partially in-tandem - we can safely say that Interplay helped them along the way more than just what the credits account. "

Bullshit.

BIS/Interplay was the publisher. They did what all publishers do. Overlook the project and give aid where they think they need it.

BG is BIO's baby for good or bad. All FU did was do his job as a publisher employee.

humorguy

Novice
Do people not understand? It's been 5 years now for goodness sake - ever since Jade Empire, so you should have got used to it - the old school cRPG is dead when it comes to the major North American publishers like Bethesda and Bioware!

It it wasn't for the Europeans, with their Witcher's and Two World's and Gothic's and Space Ranger's and Drakensang's and Sacred's and Spellforce's all we would have had that was an old school cRPG in the last 5 years was Fallout 3! And if Fallout: New Vegas is going to be more action based then chalk another death of a PC cRPG franchise due to the 'multiformat' market!

.... And let's not forget, the silence from Bethesda on Elder Scrolls V means it is probably going to be a MMORPG that won't actually be an RPG at all!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It it wasn't for the Europeans, with their" Witcher's"

Shit

" and Two World's"

Awesome

" and Gothic's"

Shit.

" and Space Ranger's and Drakensang's and Sacred's and Spellforce's"

Shit.

I also find it hialrious that you find the above games as 'old skool' even if you think they are good. You must be trolling.

humorguy

Novice
@Volourn because of the number of posts, I would say you are the Troll!

I give one example of why you are wrong, because I cannot be bothered to answer someone who is probably an FPS/Console idiot....

Space Rangers 2 has a User Review Score on Metacritic, with over 100 posts, of 9.8 out of 10!!!

Space Rangers 2 rules.

Honestly, Euro developers are the only ones developing anything resembling RPGs these days, and most of the games aren't half bad, either.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Space Rangers 2 has a User Review Score on Metacritic, with over 100 posts, of 9.8 out of 10!!!"

That is a hilarious cumback. Espicially on the Codex. Fuckin' hilarious to a tee.

Hey, guyz, professional reviewers love a game. It must be fuckin' good. FUCK YEAH!

DriacKin

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Space Rangers 2 has a User Review Score on Metacritic, with over 100 posts, of 9.8 out of 10!!!"

That is a hilarious cumback. Espicially on the Codex. Fuckin' hilarious to a tee.

Hey, guyz, professional reviewers love a game. It must be fuckin' good. FUCK YEAH!
It'd be even more hilarious if it came from a regular Codexer and not from someone with < 25 posts.

tunguska

Liturgist
GarfunkeL said:
Considering that none of the internal Bioware-people had much experience with games, since their first game, Shattered Steel, was released just before BG and they made them partially in-tandem - we can safely say that Interplay helped them along the way more than just what the credits account.
We don't really have to assume. Feargus has actually talked about how much help they gave to Bioware and it wasn't much. Yes, they did give Bioware some guidance as their publisher and maybe helped them with voice talent and some logistics. But they didn't write any code or produce any art assets for Bioware. IIRC, Feargus did choose the name "Baldurs Gate" though. Apparently it was also someone at Interplay who suggested that Bioware should convert their strategy version of Baldurs Gate to an rpg. If that hadn't happened then maybe Bioware would now be famous for their RTS games instead of their RPGs. All in all it didn't vary much from the traditional role as a publisher though. Bioware really should get the credit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"It'd be even more hilarious if it came from a regular Codexer and not from someone with < 25 posts."

He's likely an alt anyways.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I love SR2.

One of a few games where the gameworld was indeed living and progressing with nothing and nobody being spawned out of an ass 50m away (like in a certain piece of shit discussed in this topic). A true sandbox :smug:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
SORRY BRO FOR REAL THOUGH WHAT THE FUCK SAINTS ROW WAS OK LOLLLO.LOL BRO I GFORGOR IS THIS THE SAME BRO WHO LOVED KOTOR2 AND 99 PERECENT NWN BRO OKAY SORERY BRO

Felix

Arcane
Apparently it was also someone at Interplay who suggested that Bioware should convert their strategy version of Baldurs Gate to an rpg. If that hadn't happened then maybe Bioware would now be infamous for their RTS games instead of their RPGs.

Imagine RTS with IE pathfinding.

humorguy

Novice
So if you have posted 1000 totally idiotic posts, they are somehow more correct than someone with 25 posts that tries to give thoughtful comments.

Someone with fewer posts probably has a real life so is more mature and thoughtful than someone who 'lives' on the forums!

And surely, over 100 User Review scores on Metacritic is more pertinent than 5-6 'professional' reviews?

humorguy said:
And surely, over 100 User Review scores on Metacritic is more pertinent than 5-6 'professional' reviews?

That depends on how codexian you are. Allow me to illustrate:

User reviews for Fallout 3 on Metacritic said:
I can't believe this is only an 8.5 for user votes. Must be some haters bringing the average down. I think it deserves at least a 9. It's not perfect - what game is? - but I'll rate it a 10 to compensate for the haters.

Simply the most immersing and compelling game in history, that is, if you have half a brain.

Take the best Deus Ex and mix in a good serving of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and you have Fallout 3.

I am about 40 hours in and at this point I can safely say that in my book, this is definitely game of the year. While it does share some of Oblivion's style and perspective, Fallout 3 is unquestionably it's own game. The combat is great fun with it's mix of V.A.T.S. and real time first person shooting making dealing with groups of enemies feel fresh and unpredictable.

Jan 6, 2009DominicL 10 Best game ever. I haven't played any other previous Fallout games. But i have to say this is 1 of the best games I have ever played. Perfect 10 i'd say. It's realistic, the graphics are great, different variety of weapons and the list goes on. This game was worth every single cent of my money and i wouldn't have it any other way. A true masterpiece.

One of the best games ever, hands down. The world is huge, the characters are all different and you can interact with most of them. I loved the VATS thing because it's a happy medium between turn-based fighting and FPS shooting. The main quest is nice and long, but you probably won't notice because you'll be too busy exploring the Capital Wasteland. Bottom line, buy it.

Probably deserves a 9.6 in reality. Played the "specially aquired" version and love it so much I'm definitely going to support Bethesda by buying it on the 28th. The main quest storyline is AMAZING and side quests are plentiful and easily found.

While this is a game definately NOT for the casual gamer, or even your average FPS fan, for those who seek a little more substance in their gaming diet, this is simply phenomenal. I was a big fan of the original games back in the day, and I'm glad to say this is a very worthy (and quite probably better) successor. The level of immersion is second to none as you really have a feeling that absolutely everything you do has an effect of some kind on the excellently-designed post-apocalyptic wasteland that your dude/dudette calls home. Genuinely, my only wish is that there was more of it. The interface does exactly what I presume Bethesda intended it to, keep the feel of the originals while adding the functionality of a next-gen game. The VATS system is solid, and a brilliantly-implemented compromise between the older-games fight mechanics and Oblivion's FPS-like combat. Essentially, what Bethesda have done is achieve the impossible; keep the fans of the original Fallout happy, while once again revolutionising the genre in a similar way to Mass Effect this time last year. Purely awesome.

Um... What the hell? I really, really don't see why anyone would call this game boring and the shooting element bland. If this is boring, then why play great shooters like Modern Warfare 2 at all? Anyways, to the point of my review score - 10/10 - One word: CHOICE. Not even Mass Effect (which hurts me to say) has the impact of decisions that you make; we have to wait for ME2. Playing through the first time on the Hero morality took me several weeks to beat, at which point I was greatly dissapointed by the ending...until Bethesda came out with Broken Steel, and renewed my love for this game. If you "hate" this game, don't play it and say bad things about and, in turn, have it defended by the actual gamers. -Number 3 on my list-

These are all 8.00 to 10.00. The first one in particular shows how trustworthy and pertinent these are.

I don't really have a strong opinion here, just telling you that "little guy" reviews aren't automatically safer to trust than profeshnul ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom