Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Was the vision on Korriban DEEP?

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMUU_Ypz200

Could this scene be interpreted as a conflict of collectivism and individualism?

Siding with Kreia = anti-collectivism
Siding with the rest = pro-collectivism (then again among them is atton rand)

Is Chris Avellone a randroid? Are his beliefs being smuggled inside his games in a subtle way?

Gasp.

Captain Shrek

Kindly explain how did you see any collectivism here at all???!!!

Did you just watch Atlas Shrugged.

Topher

Cipher
It may be deep but I'm certainly not seeing any pro/anti-collectivism angle.

Probably reading too much into that. Kreya was nicely written, and her running commentary on your light/dark -side decisions was interesting (she was the voice of philosophy 101), but I don't think they went to particular lengths to hide issues. And I doubt they would have done it for something as pedestrian as collectivism. Now if it were some contentious religion/sex/politics -related stuff, then I might be inclined to read between the lines.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nothing Assellone does is deep. It just looks that way because his primary competition amounts to little more than this:

18f8gj.png

I don't care how derp it is but it's more interesting to hear than "You can't possibly understand because we're beyond understanding 'cuz we're robots", "Have you seen my middle-aged guy" or "We have to kill the archdragon or every last one of us is doomed!". Interesting perhaps because the character is pretty well made. I also liked Goto, all that "For the good of all" business. Nothing I haven't heard before but it works for the character and the delivery is good.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Befuddled Halfling said:
Probably reading too much into that. Kreya was nicely written, and her running commentary on your light/dark -side decisions was interesting (she was the voice of philosophy 101), but I don't think they went to particular lengths to hide issues. And I doubt they would have done it for something as pedestrian as collectivism. Now if it were some contentious religion/sex/politics -related stuff, then I might be inclined to read between the lines.

Captain Shrek

Mastermind said:
Nothing Assellone does is deep. It just looks that way because his primary competition amounts to little more than this:

I thought the Codex was a mature, smart dude, who ain't afraid of no one.

Of course its not deep. You wouldn't get it if it were deep. Let me put it this way:

"To what extent can truth stand incorporation? This is the question, This is the experiment."

Can you make any sense out of this statement? This is non-entry level philosophy. A grown up would NOT want it in his game. He'd want Kreia.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Captain Shrek said:
Mastermind said:

Of course its not deep. You wouldn't get it if it were deep. Let me put it this way:

"To what extent can truth stand incorporation? This is the question, This is the experiment."

Can you make any sense out of this statement? This is non-entry level philosophy. A grown up would NOT want it in his game. He'd want Kreia.

You don't need philosophy at all to add depth (though it's one way of doing it). Sawyer was ranting about the lack of subtext and other literaturefag shit on his formspring. To him that's depth. To me, depth is a complex plot. It can be built on simple or complex philosophy or not built on philosophy at all like an entertaining crime novel. As long as the philosophy in it, if any, stays coherent, I really don't care.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Mastermind said:
Captain Shrek said:
Mastermind said:

You don't need philosophy at all to add depth (though it's one way of doing it). Sawyer was ranting about the lack of subtext and other literaturefag shit on his formspring. To him that's depth. To me, depth is a complex plot. It can be built on simple or complex philosophy or not built on philosophy at all like an entertaining crime novel. As long as the philosophy in it, if any, stays coherent, I really don't care.

Tell me more about your plebeian lack of regard for culture

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Serious_Business said:
Mastermind said:
Captain Shrek said:
Mastermind said:

Stuff your culture up your dick. I play games to beat challenges, not to ponder issues some loser who thinks he's Aristotle because he took Philosophy 101 thinks are deep.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Mastermind said:
Serious_Business said:
Mastermind said:
Captain Shrek said:
Mastermind said:

Stuff your culture up your dick. I play games to beat challenges, not to ponder issues some loser who thinks he's Aristotle because he took Philosophy 101 thinks are deep.

Mastermind, tell us more about your plebeian refusal to challenge your...

....mind

:smug:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
ghostdog said:
Mastermind said:
Serious_Business said:
Mastermind said:
Captain Shrek said:
Mastermind said:

Mastermind, tell us more about your plebeian refusal to challenge your...

....mind

http://www.mah-jongg.ch/mastermind/mastermind.html
Strange, no philosophy there. :smug:

If Avellone's philosophy challenges your mind then you're probably a lobotomy patient anyway.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This the true meaning of this scene: Apathy is Death!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r63CsrHZ ... re=related

Kotor 2 has some philosophy ( as the art of wise living) not gamin' with words and postmodernist philistry you get on commie infested unies. Good philosophy shud have real utility not deep for the sake of being deep. In this case the hero must pick the side, any side or perish.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Captain Shrek said:
Mastermind said:

If Avellone's philosophy challenges your mind then you're probably a lobotomy patient anyway.

Its ok Mastermind. Enjoy your Skyrim and leave us in Peace. I am sure you find the philosophy of 'Pus ro Dah' challenging.

There is no real philosophy in TES. It's why the series is vastly superior to anything Aveshit has produced. No philosophy > shit philosophy. But by all means pretend that playing KOTOR2 makes you some sort of intellectual juggernaut. :lol:

Captain Shrek

Mastermind said:
Captain Shrek said:
Mastermind said:

Its ok Mastermind. Enjoy your Skyrim and leave us in Peace. I am sure you find the philosophy of 'Pus ro Dah' challenging.

There is no real philosophy in TES. It's why the series is vastly superior to anything Aveshit has produced. No philosophy > shit philosophy. But by all means pretend that playing KOTOR2 makes you some sort of intellectual juggernaut. :lol:

You have succesfully argued MM that nothing >>>> Something.

A true mastermind. I accept defeat.

All hail King of the losers!

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Captain Shrek said:
You have succesfully argued MM that nothing >>>> Something.

A true mastermind. I accept defeat.

All hail King of the losers!

Hey Captain Shrek, what is better, nothing or getting a cock stuck in your mouth?
Captain Shrek: Cock please, nothing is for losers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom