Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Why does everything take so much more time and effort than it did back in the day? They had to fit everything in 64kb of RAM, floppy disks, and get a goddamn book printed on paper that matched the disks they were sending out. I cannot fathom why in the hell it would be more difficult to adapt these ancient games to modern computers than it was to make them in the first place.

apostrophe

Novice
why in the hell it would be more difficult to adapt these ancient games to modern computers than it was to make them in the first place.

They are making them from scratch, they have art and graphical assets now, optimization, multiple platforms, etc.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They had multiple platforms, probably more than now in the late '80s and harder to port. They had to do insane optimization to make anything work at all. And now you just use some library to show a JPG on the screen without writing it yourself. I really don't get it.

apostrophe

Novice
They developed Wasteland 5 years and was at the time AAA title. It was designed with Apple2 in mind, so it was fairly easy to port it to C64 that had significantly better hardware. And now a lot more time gets "wasted" on design, there was no need to debate certain aesthetical choices when everything is made from brown blocks. People now have much higher expectations from things like UI and general usability and figuring out how to make great UI while staying true to the original also wastes time.

Efe

Erudite
what kind of optimization do you need for wasteland?
game design is same. multiplatform 2d engines are readily available.
what more do you need?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
multiplatform 2d engines are readily available.

Isn't this gonna be 3D and look like SHIT? I remember seeing some horrifying screenshots that by any standards looked worse than the original and they were made in a 3D engine.

Not that it excuses the development time. That's probably down to being developed out of the pocket change of Fargo's kids.

Edit: Ah, duh, the screenshots are in this thread. They're not as bad as I remembered them, but still.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can think of reasons why this game could take long to develop. Maybe it's being worked on in a part-time basis. Maybe its art is outsourced and there are delays related to that. Maybe after Microsoft acquired inXile they decided to pour some more money into the project and otherwise it would have been out by now.

It's possible that the game has been ready on PC for a while now and has been awaiting console certification. Perhaps something will be announced at the X019 event next week.

Gregz

Arcane
shit, i thought it was going to be like bards tale remasters..
:negative:

The original Wasteland art assets are too rough by today's standards (although I still love the pixel art, obviously). The bards tale remasters only had to refresh the GUI and avatars, Wasteland requires a complete overhaul of the overhead map elements.

Krome does fantastic work, but art assets are always a nasty bottleneck for any company.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More screenshots!

EJbvHOmVUAAT-2a
EJbvHOlUcAAP11K

Murk

Arcane
Hopefully that blur/softglow/bloom/whatever can be disabled.

Though I appreciate how 1-to-1 those screenshots imply it will be.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Why does everything take so much more time and effort than it did back in the day? They had to fit everything in 64kb of RAM, floppy disks, and get a goddamn book printed on paper that matched the disks they were sending out. I cannot fathom why in the hell it would be more difficult to adapt these ancient games to modern computers than it was to make them in the first place.

I suspect a large part of the reason why is simply worse management, worse office practices, worse collaboration, too many people that have to sign off on something that in turn is required for being able to do something else; etc.

EDIT: Also all the stuff that Infi mentioned. Yeah.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
This looks worse.
Depends on the personal subjective preferences. So to speak i agree with you, but ... let me elaborate .... It strays away from the art of the cover and the WL box, that was delivered with the Game. This 3d environment and textures lack the 80s touch of the post apocalypse. The oveall color scheme of the 80s post apo ranged from sand color to rust (inspired by Mad Max 2), and is quite good caught by the original cover art. The roofs of Quartz should therefore be more grayed out or more of the color of the covering, like old dark wood or rust indicating metal sheets underneath the grayed out paint, due to the Sun, Rain and Sand. Who paints his house and the roof in the post apo?
Then the streets with their markings. This street markings would not survive 40 years without people constant renewing it,
because plastic and rubber becomes brittle due the UV rays from the sun, while paint is slowly rubbed away by the wind carrying small sand or washed slowly away by rain. In the core of my criticism is the simple fact that the errosion is not shown by the texures of this assets.
Don't get me wrong they have made a good job with the BT series, but and especially the australians should know this, since Mad Max originates from Australia.

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It looks pretty ugly tbh, the original game wasn't good looking outside combat but this doesn't look much better, and I really doubt they can improve the enemy portraits, which were beautiful.

Not that it would matter to me though, all I want are new quality of life features, a better control scheme, some obvious fixes, and not having to read paragraphs from the manual.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
They had multiple platforms, probably more than now in the late '80s and harder to port. They had to do insane optimization to make anything work at all. And now you just use some library to show a JPG on the screen without writing it yourself. I really don't get it.
There's a lot more overhead these days. My guess.

SniperHF

Arcane
blur is shit and I have yet to see an example in a video game that actually looks like blurry peripheral vision in real life. I don't understand how so many developers over the last 20 years can't manage to realize it looks like trash and stop using it.

and tile based.

It might still have a grid of some sort though it just probably hides it.
Otherwise the gameplay would just be totally different. Encounters would be different, skill use, splitting the party. Wouldn't even be the same type of game at all.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Looks like shit. Should have focused on expanding the color palette of the original and improving the sound effects.

Gregz

Arcane
Honestly it's hard to say, I think it makes sense to choose an art style that leaves as much to the imagination as possible. Not an easy task.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom