Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

AdolfSatan

Arcane
They nailed the radioactive part of the wasteland judging by those screenshots.
I can already feel the eye cancer setting in.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hated the ridiculous random encounter rate of the PC version when I attempted to play it about 10 years ago . Take one step forward - POP! Random encounter. Two steps backward... COMIN' RIGHT At YA! Random encounter. Do a little dance and step sideways -- guess what? Yep. Random encounter. This was a huge problem I had with the original Bard's Tale 3 release that forced me to rage-quit. The remastered version by Krome corrected the problem and made the game enjoyable, at least until I got bored by the game's original design. I fully expect the same with the remastered Wasteland. I originally attempted to play Wasteland on my C64 around 1990 but was stymied by the difficult (to a kid at least) puzzles and couldn't seem to progress. But I'm a lot wiser now (or dumber, depending on how ya see things) and feel confident it will be fun this time around.

I played Wasteland a few years ago and I don't recall excessive random encounters, and I had quite a bit to complain about https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...eland-1-re-release.88170/page-13#post-3433510

The only thing I'd take back is that I don't care so much about the "series of unrelated vignettes until the plot actually starts" (especially considering I became guilty of this very thing in Wannika 2).

Why did they split message box in half? It looks weird.

So your character stuff is always on screen. Screens are wider now, so it can all fit fine.

TigerKnee

Arcane
ZO2chhA.jpg
9LC9W79.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't recall the random encounter frequency either but you do have different platforms so I can guess they're not all the same.

Platforms
Apple II, Commodore 64, DOS, Linux, Macintosh, Windows

Damn mobygames had limited screenshots and most were dos. The windows reboot i got on gog had that smoothed out gfx shit and maybe a few shortcuts. I didn't play it that much as it felt wonky to me.

was the gothic remark a joke or something? I find this DE-MAKE god awful ugly as sin. Jesus. A serious WTF!?!
RZjEtfT.jpg

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
As long as people are talking about Wasteland, how the hell do you get the c64 version running in VICE? I've tired it over the span of several years and all I get is an I/O Error.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
As long as people are talking about Wasteland, how the hell do you get the c64 version running in VICE? I've tired it over the span of several years and all I get is an I/O Error.
Sounds like it may be the disk image you are using. I'm using C64 Forever which uses the Vice plugin and the game fired up. Do you get the initial game screen or do you get I/O errors when trying to start the game? I just launched it now to see if it was working and ... fired right up. No special tricks.

upload_2020-1-24_19-54-19.png

Either way, looking forward to the game, but I'm concerned they'll screw it up somehow. I really like this game.

Old Hans

Arcane
I have a hazy memory of playing this back when I was kid and getting a party stuck somewhere they couldnt get out of. So I created a new party disk which somehow rescued the other party. Is that even possible? was I on drugs?

I sort of remember it may have had something to do with a locked door. The new group unlocked the door which effected the other groups game

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have a hazy memory of playing this back when I was kid and getting a party stuck somewhere they couldnt get out of. So I created a new party disk which somehow rescued the other party. Is that even possible? was I on drugs?
I can't exactly remember either, but something was fucked up about how you had a data disk and a load disk. I think the game was actually permadeath iron man by default, except if your party got killed you could yank the disk out of the drive before it saved and it would be fine. It seems quite possible that you could have a disk copy with your party on it, then make a new party and go on the data disk and unlock the door, then reload the game as your first party but the changes to the data disk would be saved. Truly we grew up in a time of legends.

agris

Arcane
Patron
What are the chances that this is Win10 only? I’d guess 95%. Anyone want to poke the hornets nest on twatter?

Harthwain

Magister
It will be interesting to see what in the gameplay they do change.
They said it will be "Still very true to the original as far as design/gameplay", so I don't expect anything to change in this aspects of the game. This looks like they're doing a remaster, not a remake.

Cat Dude

Savant
There are too many remasters and remakes over the years.Why not a remaster of text adventure games for a change?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They said it will be "Still very true to the original as far as design/gameplay", so I don't expect anything to change in this aspects of the game. This looks like they're doing a remaster, not a remake.
Creating the same game from the ground up makes it a remake, a very faithful one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As Roguey says it'll be very faithful, but Krome's very faithful and well-received Bard's Tale Trilogy remake changed some stuff too. That's why they added the Legacy Mode. So I assume there will be some similar changes here as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom