Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
No little extras like art posters (like the net isn't loaded with that. And how often are they going to keep using that original art asset for the box? I think we're running out of logical colors. What next? Pink puple rainbow?
29189-wasteland-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

c64

39542-wasteland-apple-ii-front-cover.jpg

appleII

692-wasteland-dos-front-cover.jpg

DOS

Wasteland_1_steam.jpg

Hmmm hmmmm :/

WastelandOriginal.jpg

ok???

wasteland_remastered_art.jpg

-.-!

Wasteland2art.jpg

Sooo greeen.

img.php

very... green

wasteland-3-wallpaper-4k-1600x1200.jpg

OMG!!! Its.... blue + vehicle.

miniatura_teledysku,C-0n5JQvbHc.jpg

Not wasteland....

and while searching why did this...
cave-story-hd-wallpapers-32881-9290080.jpg

Register as ...
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered HD Wallpapers?

seems odd to me.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's actually from American politics - one of the two big parties has an elephant as their logo, and this was said by a presidential candidate during the 2020 election hype in that famous video (you know the one) that ended up becoming a meme.

Political opponent: <Statement>
Presidential candidate: "Uh, that's an elephant."
Audience: <CHEERS AND APPLAUSE>

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/875800/announcements/detail/1698358391806484079

Wasteland Remastered – v1.01 Update

This update resolves a number of issues discovered at launch.

The first content update is now live. Track known issues and upcoming patch plans in the Wasteland Remastered General forum.
  • Fixed a display issue where the party display would not update after deleting and creating a completely new party
  • When playing in a language other than English you can now properly delete/create a party
  • Fixed a crash when burying a player and pressing a key that's unexpected
  • Player model now properly refreshes when deleting one of multiple parties
  • An empty skill list will no longer allow you to try to select a skill that doesn’t exist
  • Fixed an issue when entering combat with disbanded parties
  • Echoed text in conversation is now uppercase because we think it looks nicer

https://steamcommunity.com/app/875800/discussions/0/1750149787516891775/

Next Patch Plans (v1.02)
Hi all,

Thank you to everybody for your feedback and comments on the Remaster. It is greatly appreciated!

We’re working on some fixes for our next patch (the one <after> the build current in the beta branch is promoted to main), and we wanted to let you know the fixes and changes that we’re targeting. These will be subject to change based off our testing!

We'll update you again, when we have an expected release timeframe.

ITEMS WE'RE WORKING ON:
  • You can progress through character creation, without having to spend all your skill points.
  • Roster display doesn't update on weapon change, or taking damage, if you try to create a 5th character in Ranger Center and receive the "you cannot make any more characters" message.
  • Resolution and language selection dropdowns will now work on both the main menu, and in game.
  • Numpad numeric keys will now work for selections (if numlock is enabled).
  • Tweak to joystick control to resolve "double movement" on skill direction selection in some circumstances.
  • Fix for the name entry or password/question entry text not being able to be resumed, if you alt-tab; or open the journal, while the text entry field is active.
  • Name entry is now mixed-case (not forced to upper case on entry, then mixed case during the game) for at character creation and
  • The "Background Mute" option will now work, without having to restart the game.
  • Draw distances for fixed-encounter enemy models has been corrected.
  • Fix for column headers spacing in the shops.
  • Fix for the bug where after a conversation the bottom right text log doesn't always scroll to the bottom of the text, after we push all the conversation dialog to the window.
  • Fix for bug where the name of the character is rendered a 2nd time, after the promotion text
Cheers
Linds

o_dawg

Novice
*Resolution and language selection dropdowns will now work on both the main menu, and in game.*

Yeah, I had this one. WTF? How do you release a game with this broken? Among the other half-dozen or so bugs that should have been well squashed long before launch.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
*Resolution and language selection dropdowns will now work on both the main menu, and in game.*

Yeah, I had this one. WTF? How do you release a game with this broken? Among the other half-dozen or so bugs that should have been well squashed long before launch.
I was stuck with this for a few days, but then I noticed the wording is like a puzzle that gives away the solution: I can't change the resolution in the main menu, but I in-game I can change it normally.

Having done that, I played some more:

X5XkLPH.png

6twe55G.png

PUiiwzk.png

4IprWjc.png

8rhEols.png

I like the new cutscenes and artwork they added, and having the paragraphs in the game sure helps. I mean, it's surely better than this:

7UBHDZT.png

Some areas also have decent 3D graphics, like the Temple of Blood above, and it helps A LOT to have a bigger screen that always shows party status.

I like it overall, but there's always this disappointment with the UI lingering over... Wasteland is definitely a lot more complex than The Bard's Tale, but their remaster had things like tooltips to ease in players that are really missed here. Like, how the hell will a newcomer find out that a "Mangler" is an Anti-Tank Weapon? It makes this whole project more a fun thing for veteran to replay than an accessible remaster for new players.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Not gonna lie, that graphics filter is as offensive as anything done in the remaster. (Perhaps made up for by the use of default DOS font for the paragraph text though.)

Gregz

Arcane

I was stuck with this for a few days, but then I noticed the wording is like a puzzle that gives away the solution: I can't change the resolution in the main menu, but I in-game I can change it normally.

Having done that, I played some more:

X5XkLPH.png

6twe55G.png

PUiiwzk.png

4IprWjc.png

8rhEols.png

I like the new cutscenes and artwork they added, and having the paragraphs in the game sure helps. I mean, it's surely better than this:

7UBHDZT.png

Some areas also have decent 3D graphics, like the Temple of Blood above, and it helps A LOT to have a bigger screen that always shows party status.

I like it overall, but there's always this disappointment with the UI lingering over... Wasteland is definitely a lot more complex than The Bard's Tale, but their remaster had things like tooltips to ease in players that are really missed here. Like, how the hell will a newcomer find out that a "Mangler" is an Anti-Tank Weapon? It makes this whole project more a fun thing for veteran to replay than an accessible remaster for new players.

Most of what I've read so far has been disappointing, but those cutscene graphics got me hard again. Shame about the tooltips, seems like they were rushed or bogged down with the graphics requirement.

So, again, macros are nowhere to be found in the remaster?

Divinity: Original Sin
Never played old wasteland, because I always disliked the original EGA graphix... In fact, It's only recently that I've aquired a taste for EGA in general... Portraits in wasteland (original) are cool, but the overworld, places like high pool are so green that I can't associate it to a post apocalyptic setting. I think the C64 has the best graphical presentation, with black tiles like in ultima games, and an avatar that looks cool instead of a pixelated playmobil as in the DOS version. Player input in that game is really cumbersome by nowadays perspective, but it wasn't that which actually bothered me, since I can adapt to old games' control schemes with a bit of persistence. But of course I'd expect improvements in the remaster.

So the remaster: In some ways, it's even inferior to the DOS version: mouse is useless... in the DOS version, mouse works when you click characters name, in the overworld you can move with mouse and so on. In the remaster, you can use the mouse to make menu selections, but you can't use the scroll wheel to change pages. You click with the cursor on the map and nothing happens, you click on character sheet, nothing happens. Macros are not implemented (yet???).

In 2014, DOS wasteland was released with windows support and voiced paragraphs ingame, and high resolution portraits (that were static, but optional). Every time a paragraph would appear, a window and a voice would kick in. In the 2020's remaster, this is also implemented, with addition to cutscenes... in bigger paragraphs. But... small paragraphs appear in-game fully written, but they're not voiced - unless you go to you journal and listen. A minor nitpick, but it feels strange that there's a fully voiced recording of the paragraph that is not actually used other than in the journal.

The things I thing they should improve: Macros, more mouse suport, like right-click to make for an easier way of selecting skills, the ability to click on the character roster, and of course, make the mouse viable for movement arould the world. I hope they manage to do that in future patches.

Graphically, even though now we have a figurine as an avatar and graphics are 3d, I think it's an improvement to the EGA colorful wasteland, but it's far away from ideal... but it's functional and more appealing to modern standards and continuity with the sequels.

One thing though, I'm enjoying the playthrough, and I am actually playing the 2014 DOS version simultaneously, since DOS version is actually the same in regards to player input, with the advantages of macros and better mouse support.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/app/875800/discussions/0/1750149787520587644/

v1.02 Available on Beta Branch
Hey all,

v1.02 of the game is now available as a public beta, on the "beta" branch on Steam.
To access this, right click on the game in your Steam library, select "Properties", then select the "BETAS" tab, and then select "beta" from the dropdown menu.

Please note this is a snapshot build of latest, and hasn't gone through a QA pass at this point.
We've created a new subforum on Steam for any bugs found in this beta ("Beta Branch Bugs"), please report any issues there.

Cheers
Linds

Fixes in this build:
  • Fix for the roster not updating, if you tried to create a 5th player character in Ranger Center, causing it to not reflect any damage taken or equipment changed, until you loaded a save game.
  • Added support for ending the player character creation in the Ranger Center, without spending all your skill points.
  • Changed the character name input to supporting Mixed Case display – for player creation in the Ranger Center, and conversation dialogs.
  • Fixed the resolution and language pulldowns not working properly on the main menu.
  • Added support for numpad numerals, if numlock is set, for combat, conversations, etc.
  • Added a level up musical sting based off the original DOS tune.
  • Fixed the player’s name displaying twice in the promotion text.
  • Fixed spacebar closing the character stats, instead of changing to skills, when you were on the items tab.
  • Fixed some focus issues with controls, which were caused by task switching - during combat, or password entry, etc.
  • Fixed the Indian Male and Mexican Male models drifting off their base, when you entered an encounter (which added up over time).
  • Fixed the "background mute" audio option not working until the next launch of the game.
  • Fixed the “fullscreen” option not working until the next launch of the game.
  • Fixed a crash that occurred if you and reloaded the Las Vegas map multiple times.
  • Fixed the distance check for the display of fixed encounter enemies models, for example .
  • Fixes for erroneous rendering of some loot bags and other items, where the game thought you were in a zone different to the one you actually were, when playing with disbanded parties.
  • Fixed the spacing on the price / item headers in the shops.
  • Fixed a bug where the bottom right text log would not scroll to the bottom of the text, after all the conversation from a conversation dialog was added to the text log.
  • Fixed a few places where the combat text wasn’t clearing between actions.
  • Remove the “which way” direction select overlay, if you load a save game while it is on screen.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
A repeat last action macro would be great. (Ie) selecting char, use skill/stat, direction). You could then just move, macro, move macro or macro macro macro. Tedious as i recall. It's not the only game I recall doing this sort of thing before.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well they are calling it a remaster, not a remake.

It would be interesting to ask them why they chose this direction. Clearly the decision was made early on to be as purist as possible. I mean they didn't even make changes that would have been easier than implementing what was in the original (eg, longer inventory lists you don't have to page through).

Silentstorm

Learned
Well they are calling it a remaster, not a remake.

It would be interesting to ask them why they chose this direction. Clearly the decision was made early on to be as purist as possible. I mean they didn't even make changes that would have been easier than implementing what was in the original (eg, longer inventory lists you don't have to page through).
Maybe a remaster was easier than also designing new UI and whatever?

But that doesn't explain the entirely different graphics and new art that they made, that was a lot of work and time put into it, for something that almost everyone in the entire world assumed would add some quality of life changes to appeal to more modern gamers.

Everyone but Krome and something like 3 to 10 guys in the world that is, heck, one could argue that without macros, the game is actually worse to play than the classic Wasteland game you can buy and just play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom