Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, Reached base cochise yesterday.

What I can say is that it's a 1:1 clone of the original PC version, with new graphics minus macros. Even the quirks/exploits are present, the exception being the superlootbags. I don't know how changed the gameplay mechanics are, but i guess it's the same as in the original DOS.

The graphics may seem horrible on screeshots, but it doesn't bother when actually playing and it grew on me. It is actually quite nice and atmospheric, a thing I never felt by the time I tried the original. One thing that adds to it is the soundtrack, which is the same as the rerelease inxile put on steam in 2013, but now it changes in context to the game scenarios. The soundtrack is really good.

The thing is that in this day and age, they should have put some context menus with right mouse clicks where you could select items/skills, modernizing the UI a bit, making it more intuitive. The main atraction here are the paragraphs with cutscenes, though they are a bit badly drawn, it's a nice addition.

Well, Reached base cochise yesterday.

Is healing without macros a pain? Especially multiple uses of Doctor, etc.?

A bit of a pain in the ass using medic/doctor, (and lockpick, climbing) but I managed to live with it. And to heal the rangers, I prefer to go to the world map where time passes faster. Because there's a "camp" button that makes time pass, but the healing rate is too slow when used inside cities/settlements/bases.

One thing though that makes things a bit less frustrating is the option to quicksave and have lots of save slots. So if you have a battle that makes your characters health get to critical, you may try again, so you don't have to click use, character, skills, medic, injured character.

Also about macros, the steam forums have a developer community member answering about bugs, glitches, improvements, but they always remain silent when asked about macros. I've seen someone made some scripts for autohotkey, but I didn't care too much.

Saduj

Arcane
One of the updates made the Camp button much more useful. You can now spam it by fast clicking and it makes the whole process much faster.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/875800/announcements/detail/1699485648800467989

Wasteland Remastered – v1.07 Update
This update resolves a number of issues discovered since launch.

The second content update (v1.07) is now live, and includes the improvements and fixes from our previous Beta builds. We will continue to track known issues and upcoming patch plans in the Wasteland Remastered General forum.

Improvements:
  • When you are selling items, equipped items are now highlighted in the store.
  • Scaled up the user stats/combat window popup to improve overall text size for that UI.
  • Joypad now automatically selects the previous item on a page when the current one is deleted.
  • Added level up audio for the
Fixes:
  • Fix for when the roster would not update; if you tried to create a 5th player character in Ranger Center, it would result in causing the roster to not reflect any damage taken or equipment changed, until you loaded a save game.
  • Added support for ending the player character creation in the Ranger Center, without spending all your skill points.
  • Changed the character name input to supporting Mixed Case display – for player creation in the Ranger Center, and conversation dialogs.
  • Added a level up musical sting based off the original DOS tune.
  • Fixed the player’s name displaying twice in the promotion text.
  • Fixed the Indian Male and Mexican Male models drifting off their base, when you entered an encounter (which added up over time).
  • Fixed a crash that occurred if you and reloaded the Las Vegas map multiple times.
  • Fixed the distance check for the display of fixed encounter enemies models, for example .
  • Fixes for erroneous rendering of some loot bags and other items, where the game thought you were in a zone different to the one you actually were, when playing with disbanded parties.
  • Fixed the spacing on the price / item headers in the shops.
  • Fixed a bug where the bottom right text log would not scroll to the bottom of the text, after all the conversation from a conversation dialog was added to the text log.
  • Fixed a few places where the combat text wasn’t clearing between actions.
  • Remove the “which way” direction select overlay, if you load a save game while it is on screen.
  • Fixed the crash some users were experiencing when talking to Faran Brygo.
  • Fix for bug in Luck, Dexterity, Strength and Agility that was affecting the result of combat in Hand-to-Hand and Ranged combat modes.
  • Fix for bug in Unjam code that would auto-unjam a weapon in certain circumstances.
  • Fix for issues with the item list display, not appropriately displaying the 4th page of items (and a few other issues).
  • Fix to lock out being able to save in combat, when selecting a "run" or "use" direction.
  • Fix for double-movement when using controller. We now have two repeat delays, the first is longer and used only for the first press, the second the same as in previous builds, for the 2nd (and further) repeat. This allows finer control of single click movement (eg when using a climb skill on the rocks in Highpool caves), but still the smooth movement when holding the direction down.
  • Crash fix for when you exit while in combat, while wearing high-level armor and taking damage.
  • Crash fix for when an encounter begins, when checking if the encounter is hostile.
  • Fix for player stats not being cleaned out when creating a new character, when making a new character later in the game.
  • Selling all items from page 2 (or later) of the shop will now move back to the previous page correctly.
  • Added wait/screen clear after the "you have too much on your mind to learn anything" message in libraries.
  • Disabled all scroll in the top right text display except for combat text (fixes scroll glitches).
  • Fix for being able to save during combat if looking at the map.

Well, finishid it:

It's nice that they've put cutscene/static screens telling the aftermath for each of the locations, pretty much emulating the end of fallout. It even states that the rangers evetually change their base to the guardian citadel, the location where wasteland 2 rangers are located.

Saduj

Arcane
Gregz not sure what is going on with Camp feature for healing. I was able to spam it in Mushroom Temple but when I moved on to Sleeper Base, it is back to taking a second or two between clicks registering. Not sure why this changed.

I dont consider healing a giant pain but didn’t want to mislead anyone on how useful camping is.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Finally got around to trying it (and Wasteland itself for the first time), managed to just about deal with the bunny man, then camped the rail yard and woke up to Too Many Guns. Oh well, I had fun! Definitely going to take a bit to get used to typing U, 3, 1, 8 etc. over and over and over.

From an accessibility point-of-view, I found the new journal/log to be huge. Not just because you don't have to write down shit manually, but knowing when you've actually dealt with an issue from the update notification is really helpful given how little feedback there is sometimes in these old titles. I think having that will save me from relying on a guide too much, which is pretty cool and not what I expected. :)

I really love the music, even if the visuals are no less odd — would be cool to have an option to use the old graphics alongside the other improvements? (Though I assume it's like not akin to something like ADOM where there's effectively just a fancy tileset on top, and this would be too much effort for too little gain).

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally got around to trying it (and Wasteland itself for the first time), managed to just about deal with the bunny man, then camped the rail yard and woke up to Too Many Guns. Oh well, I had fun! Definitely going to take a bit to get used to typing U, 3, 1, 8 etc. over and over and over.

From an accessibility point-of-view, I found the new journal/log to be huge. Not just because you don't have to write down shit manually, but knowing when you've actually dealt with an issue from the update notification is really helpful given how little feedback there is sometimes in these old titles. I think having that will save me from relying on a guide too much, which is pretty cool and not what I expected. :)

I really love the music, even if the visuals are no less odd — would be cool to have an option to use the old graphics alongside the other improvements? (Though I assume it's like not akin to something like ADOM where there's effectively just a fancy tileset on top, and this would be too much effort for too little gain).

imo the the john carpenter/ennio morricone-inspired soundtrack is probably the best part of the remastered version

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/123533-wasteland-remastered-reviews.html

GameSkinny 7/10:

Major graphical overhauls and a massive change to the text create the best way to experience this classic post-apocalyptic title, although it's still mired in old-school mechanics.

WayTooManyGames 7.5/10:

I always enjoy seeing a true classic get a new lease on life, especially when they look as nice as this one. Some parts have aged better than others, but I think it’s a true testament to Interplay’s genius just how playable Wasteland remains overall. It can take a few minutes to get used to and it’s not an easy game, but it’s worth the investment. There’s also some issues with bugs (something else this shares with WarCraft III: Reforged…), but the beta patch fixed most out the door with a full patch release incoming very soon. With Wasteland 3 fast approaching, and the Fallout franchise descending to questionable quality levels, now’s as good a time as any to give the franchise a shot.

NAG 50/100:

If you’re looking for something old-school, and a game like Fallout 2 is just way too intuitive, then this might be just for you. If not, you probably won’t enjoy a game that forces you to meander around for hours in a big wasteland without a clue about your objective while dealing with sluggish combat, jarring humour, and an outdated dialogue system. But at least the game doesn’t hold your hand, I guess.

TheXboxHub 3/5:

If you’re a veteran of the genre, or an old-school player who loved the original, then you’ll be very pleased with what’s on offer here. Wasteland Remastered on Xbox One is quintessentially an Apple Two/Commodore game re-painted and re-released on a modern day console. It’s very difficult for me to recommend this to any newcomer though, unless they are specifically interested in it from a historical perspective. It’s not a bad game, frankly it’s excellent, but it is an aged game and that ruins the appeal for many. The experience feels like it has aged horribly and that is something it will never escape from. There are so many more great modern role-playing games on Xbox One that it’s hard to see why a new player would pick this, but then maybe it was never for them in the first place.

Saduj

Arcane
Anyone know how exactly Armor works in this game? I've read that every point in AC "negates" 1d6 of damage. Does that mean that the attacker literally rolls one less dice for every point in AC and if my AC is equal to or higher than the attack's damage dice, the attack can't cause damage? I don't think that is the case because I've noticed situations where sometimes my characters take no damage and sometimes they take a little damage during the same fight. But maybe that is caused by the attackers using different weapons with different damage dice. I think it would be cool if the attacker rolls for damage and then my character rolls AC * d6 to see how much is negated but I don't think that is what is happening either.

Edit: Also, whatever they were doing in the original, they should have kept it for W2, assuming their goal was to make armor important.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The patching continues: https://steamcommunity.com/app/875800/discussions/0/1869497226792095406/

Wasteland Remastered - v1.09 in public Beta
Hi all,

We have a new build out in the public "beta" branch!
Please let us know anything you see.

Cheers
Linds

IMPROVEMENTS
REORDER
Added the ability to reorder your skills and items. In addition to being able to reorder items as per the original release, we've added a few other improvements to the system:
  • You can do partial reorders, then use the "fill" button to fill in the rest of the list with whatever the existing order was.
  • Inventory Sort button options for "equipped", "alphabetical" and "inverse alphabetical". Note that "equipped" sorts the equipped items first, then groups the other items such that it shows weapons, then armor, then ammo, then everything else, based off some feedback from some test users.
  • Skill Sort button options for "level", "inverse level", "alphabetical" and "inverse alphabetical"
BUG FIXES
  • GAMEPLAY: Fix for radiation suit not working if in slot 1 of the inventory.
  • GAMEPLAY: Fix for disbanded party not healing.
  • GAMEPLAY / CONTROLS: Set up Yes/No selections to only accept 1, 2, Y, N, ESC.
  • GAMEPLAY / CONTROLS: "Use these combat option?" now only accepts Yes/No; so that you cannot skip through this question accidentally.
  • GAMEPLAY / CONTROLS: Fix for numbers being usable during direction select.
  • CONTROLS: Made the lock-out on the right trigger only check the right trigger release before disabling the lock-out.
  • UI: Fix for missing translations on the player rank names
  • UI: Fix for the skills text alignment (so that if a skill goes to level 10; the names of the skills don’t have bad formatting)
  • UI: Fix for buttons changing from a key to button after one frame when using joypad.
  • UI: Added window clear if ESC pressed while selecting shot type (Single, Semi, Auto).
  • UI: Fix for combat content getting pushed to the bottom right window.
  • UI: Fix for character name not being displayed at end-of-game special level up.
  • UI: Fix for the last page of the character’s items while in a shop not updating, if you sell all items on that page.
  • UI: Scott's Bar: added conversation tag to a couple more lines of the Riddler's (Scott's Bar) conversation to fix the wrong image displaying in the conversation.
  • AUDIO: only play the "end of combat" sting if you were in a <real> combat (not just doing an encounter round when not in combat to reload, etc).
  • GAMEPLAY: Temple of the Mushroom Cloud: Fix for issue where the main entrance doors to the mushroom temple would not visually close after opening them with the passwords, but then blowing up the security camera (Discord report)
  • GAMEPLAY: Temple of the Mushroom Cloud: fixes for explosion offsets on the doors
  • GAMEPLAY: Needles Police Station: linked up missing events for one door in the police station

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyone know how exactly Armor works in this game? I've read that every point in AC "negates" 1d6 of damage. Does that mean that the attacker literally rolls one less dice for every point in AC and if my AC is equal to or higher than the attack's damage dice, the attack can't cause damage? I don't think that is the case because I've noticed situations where sometimes my characters take no damage and sometimes they take a little damage during the same fight. But maybe that is caused by the attackers using different weapons with different damage dice. I think it would be cool if the attacker rolls for damage and then my character rolls AC * d6 to see how much is negated but I don't think that is what is happening either.

Edit: Also, whatever they were doing in the original, they should have kept it for W2, assuming their goal was to make armor important.

That is correct. It narrows build options though; everyone in Wasteland should be wearing power armor and rolling with meson cannons, ion beamers, and proton axes because nothing else is viable.

Boomer_007

Novice
Yesterday I finished original Wasteland for the first time. And it was great.
Old graphic is charming if you were playing with right mindset. But this remake with these miniatures looks so unattractive for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There was another beta update: https://steamcommunity.com/app/875800/discussions/0/3971554833162367561/

Wasteland Remastered - v1.18 in public Beta
Hi all,

We have a new build out in the public "beta" branch!
Please let us know anything you see.
The below build notes are the full fixes since v1.07 (the current live fully released build)

Cheers
Linds

IMPROVEMENTS
REORDER INVENTORY AND SKILLS
  • Items can be sorted by: equipped, alphabetical, and inverse alphabetical
  • Skills can be sorted by: level, inverse level, alphabetical, and inverse alphabetical
  • You can click on (or select with d-pad and A-button) or select by number to construct your own order, then fill with the remaining items keeping their existing order
  • Mouse wheel will change the page of the right hand window
Multiple Item Trade
  • On the items tab of a character select the new "Trade" button (help is now removed from "items" tab)
  • You will then be able to select whom you want to trade to; and what items, with it showing you how many slots are available at the recipient
  • All the trading functionality (like NPCs refusing) should still occur with this system

BUG FIXES
  • Fix for disbanded party not healing
  • Fix for missing translation on player ranks
  • Fix for the skills text alignment (so that if a skill goes to level 10; the skill names are formatted correctly)
  • Made the lock-out on the right trigger only check the right trigger release before disabling the lock-out
  • Fix for buttons changing from a key to button after one frame when using controller
  • Added window clear if ESC pressed while selecting shot type (Single, Semi, Auto)
  • Fix for radiation armor not working if in slot 1 of the inventory
  • Set up Yes/No selections to only accept 1, 2, Y, N, ESC
  • "Use these combat options?" now only accepts Yes/No
  • Fix for combat content getting pushed to the bottom right window incorrectly
  • Fix for character name not being displayed at end-of-game special level up
  • Fix for the last page of the character’s items while in a shop not updating, if you sell all items on that page
  • Temple of the Mushroom Cloud: Fix for issue where the main entrance doors to the mushroom temple would not visually close after opening them with the passwords, but then blowing up the security camera (Discord report)
  • Temple of the Mushroom Cloud: fixes for explosion offsets on some doors
  • Scott's Bar: added conversation tag to a couple more lines of the Riddler's (Scott's Bar) conversation to fix missing or incorrect cameos in conversations
  • Now only plays the "end of combat" sting if you were in a <real> combat (not just doing an encounter round when not in combat to reload, etc)
  • Needles Police Station: linked up missing events for one door in the police station to fix a door that does not animate
  • Fix for numbers being usable during direction select instead of WASD / ESDF (or controller direction)
  • Added support for mouse wheel to all menus item and skill selections
  • Fixed multiple problems with map sizing
  • Pool and Divide now retain highlight position on menus
  • Removed pool and divide from the Buy/Sell select menu
  • Fix for random nameless cameos when forcing combat. Have replaced with current player to clean it up
  • UI: Fix for "$..." being displayed when Pool or Divide is used on the BUY/SELL selection
  • Fix to solve some invisible enemies
  • Fix for save game loading while in combat, so that the next combat you have after the load doesn’t have additional enemies
  • Fix for "press any key to continue" not fitting for non-English languages

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Behold the new menu interfaces: https://steamcommunity.com/games/875800/announcements/detail/2207270855254832746

Wasteland Remastered – v1.18 Update

Wasteland Remastered's third content update (v1.18) is now live, and includes the improvements and fixes from our previous Beta builds. We will continue to track known issues and upcoming patch plans in the Wasteland Remastered General Discussion forum.

IMPROVEMENTS

REORDER INVENTORY AND SKILLS
  • Items can be sorted by: equipped, alphabetical, and inverse alphabetical
  • Skills can be sorted by: level, inverse level, alphabetical, and inverse alphabetical
  • You can click on (or select with d-pad and A-button) or select by number to construct your own order, then fill with the remaining items keeping their existing order
  • Mouse wheel will change the page of the right hand window

4548093c2708ac2d8d94bf12c27ba93b52a26751.gif

MULTIPLE ITEM TRADE
  • On the items tab of a character select the new "Trade" button (help is now removed from "items" tab) you will be able to select whom you want to trade to; and what items, with it showing you how many slots are available at the recipient
  • All the trading functionality (like NPCs refusing) should still occur with this system

40c4d2a306983d73fb7536d0fb10961f604f1250.gif

BUG FIXES
  • Fix for disbanded party not healing
  • Fix for missing translation on player ranks
  • Fix for the skills text alignment (so that if a skill goes to level 10; the skill names are formatted correctly)
  • Made the lock-out on the right trigger only check the right trigger release before disabling the lock-out
  • Fix for buttons changing from a key to button after one frame when using controller
  • Added window clear if ESC pressed while selecting shot type (Single, Semi, Auto)
  • Fix for radiation armor not working if in slot 1 of the inventory
  • Set up Yes/No selections to only accept 1, 2, Y, N, ESC
  • "Use these combat options?" now only accepts Yes/No
  • Fix for combat content getting pushed to the bottom right window incorrectly
  • Fix for character name not being displayed at end-of-game special level up
  • Fix for the last page of the character’s items while in a shop not updating, if you sell all items on that page
  • Temple of the Mushroom Cloud: Fix for issue where the main entrance doors to the mushroom temple would not visually close after opening them with the passwords, but then blowing up the security camera (Discord report)
  • Temple of the Mushroom Cloud: fixes for explosion offsets on some doors
  • Scott's Bar: added conversation tag to a couple more lines of the Riddler's (Scott's Bar) conversation to fix missing or incorrect cameos in conversations
  • Now only plays the "end of combat" sting if you were in a <real> combat (not just doing an encounter round when not in combat to reload, etc)
  • Needles Police Station: linked up missing events for one door in the police station to fix a door that does not animate
  • Fix for numbers being usable during direction select instead of WASD / ESDF (or controller direction)
  • Added support for mouse wheel to all menus item and skill selections
  • Fixed multiple problems with map sizing
  • Pool and Divide now retain highlight position on menus
  • Removed pool and divide from the Buy/Sell select menu
  • Fix for random nameless cameos when forcing combat. Have replaced with current player to clean it up
  • UI: Fix for "$..." being displayed when Pool or Divide is used on the BUY/SELL selection
  • Fix to solve some invisible enemies
  • Fix for save game loading while in combat, so that the next combat you have after the load doesn’t have additional enemies
  • Fix for "press any key to continue" not fitting for non-English languages

Darkzone

Arcane
I have bought it as it was on GoG sale, therefore i have only played the Bug Fixed version 1.18, but now i recommend to everyone the Wasteland Remastered by Krome.
And if we can get enough people to buy this version then perhaps we can get a true Wasteland sequel since everything is there for it. So buy it !

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I have bought it as it was on GoG sale, therefore i have only played the Bug Fixed version 1.18, but now i recommend to everyone the Wasteland Remastered by Krome.
And if we can get enough people to buy this version then perhaps we can get a true Wasteland sequel since everything is there for it. So buy it !

I'm not sold just yet, any Codex in-depth review?

Darkzone

Arcane
It's Wastland. It says it on the main menu. It is a official Wasteland! (a "Tribute" reference)
Music is Ok. Sound Effects are Ok. Everything else is 1:1 Wasteland. So what do you want more?
Graphics could be better, but you get used to it. Different Nationalities have different portraits what makes it actually more difficult to confuse one Ranger with an other. And the Ranger figure displays now the equipped weapon and the nationality of the first in order Ranger.
I never had problems with using skills like Picklock, Medic and Doctor without macros therefore it is not mandatory for me. It was only tedious in Guardian Citadel to use safe crack. So what else? I don't know if they have done something with Combat Shooting or not. The journal is also a nice convenient thing and the camp button functions quite good now.
Bugs:
Have encountered just one awkward bug and that is that i could not raise the swim skill of one self created Ranger. The other Rangers have reached very fast Swim 6. This could play a role in Las Vegas Max mission ( for some ).

So you decide if you give this a chance and perhaps by extension a chance for a true sequel or not. I bought it just for curiosity and completionist reason, and i do not regret this.

Gregz

Arcane
It's Wastland. It says it on the main menu. It is a official Wasteland! (a "Tribute" reference)
Music is Ok. Sound Effects are Ok. Everything else is 1:1 Wasteland.

You're already wrong.

1) The art is obviously different
2) No macros

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, i found that gameplay video, battle encounter timestamp.

Seriously, this is another lazy remaster, they didn't even try to turn the combat into something actually tactical or enjoyable, a simple chessboard with tokens would have turned the game into something fun.

Instead, this lazy menu, faithful to the original ... Sure, turn the graphics into modern garbage but keep the garbage combat and hope for the best...

Darkzone

Arcane
You're already wrong.
1) The art is obviously different
2) No macros
Point 2 was addressed in my statement with: "I never had problems with using skills like Picklock, Medic and Doctor without macros therefore it is not mandatory for me."
Point 1 was quite discussed here and as i stated: "Graphics could be better, but you get used to it." And yes i include here in this statement the marginal changes to the "Rat" and other artwork too. And if we go by this then you can play only one "true" version of Wasteland (PC or C64 or Apple II), while i have played already 3 different versions with different artworks for each of the systems.
Please read at least the whole statement before you get your autistic spasm. I know that you go off on this, but how do you come around renovating your domicile or changes in your work place?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom