Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #40: Beta Released!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's health regeneration?! Why?

It's apparently very slow, not the "quickly recharge all health between battles" type of health regen.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's too fast imo. You can just sit there for 10 min waiting and regen most of your health after an encounter.

It should really only regen on the overworld map, so you are using water when you heal because there is no down side to sitting in spot waiting for health right now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's too fast imo. You can just sit there for 10 min waiting and regen most of your health after an encounter.

Ten minutes isn't that fast. Also, hmm, won't it get even slower as you gain more health at higher levels? There are some RPGs that set up a difficulty curve by doing that - low level, fast regen, high level, regen becomes practically meaningless.

Agreed that they should probably get rid of it entirely, though (although I seem to remember health always trickling back in Fallout, too, so you can't see this as an alien mechanic)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fallout was a different game, and *originally* there was time pressure so you wouldn't want to spend all day resting to heal up. What I've played of Wasteland 2 so far has no time pressure.

I think regen while walking on the overland map would be fine. That means you're spending water to do it.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
When is this supposed to be released again? Fall 2014? Not sure if i want to spoil myself for the release.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The regen is very fast, characters have like 20 HP and regen 3-4 HP every 2 minutes or so. And so far battles are far apart and there's a lot of talking and items (inventory don't pause the game), so you'll mostly heal all your wounds from one battle to another, especially on normal/easy.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I wish I could kill my companions and fire weapons outside combat at the ground and the surrounding objects.

You should be able to target objects outside of combat; there are Ag Center missions dependent on this.

Killing squad mates outside of combat was something that was debated internally; it's been on before. It's not on right now.

Healthregenerationpopamole

Game does not have FPS style health regeneration. Game does have Wasteland 1 style healing over time. A long time.

A reasonable debate could be had over the mechanic; but it is nothing if not old school.

On the XP balance stuff that may be a bug, we'll look into it.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
It is pretty slow.

IIRC, didn't the Bard's Tale have health regeneration? And wasn't it pretty slow?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's true that both Wasteland and Fallout had regenerating health. The "zero health recovery except healing and resting" is more of a D&D thing.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fallout didn't. Only if you rested.
I really don't remember how W1 worked. Hmm.

Anyway, this seems pretty slow to me. Waiting 10 minutes to get HP back (supposing it's 10 minutes) is not something I see myself doing.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer

Anyway, this seems pretty slow to me. Waiting 10 minutes to get HP back (supposing it's 10 minutes) is not something I see myself doing.

Agreed, it's pretty slow.

Wasteland 1 healing over time is functionally faster than Wasteland 2 because you can hold down ESC to wait for time to pass in the original.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Yeah, I don't recall. Didn't you gain some hit points per day even without resting (most noticable in world map travel)?

Here's something you can do MLMarkland - make the hit points regenerate only when the characters are walking/doing stuff/progressing through the world, so you can't just stand there and watch them go up. That's how it worked in the original game after all (well, except for ESC-ESC-ESC)

tuluse

Arcane

In the first area you visit there are 2 encounters. You can easily beat one, go exploring for a bit, come back and fight the second one at full health.

It's true that both Wasteland and Fallout had regenerating health. The "zero health recovery except healing and resting" is more of a D&D thing.
I suggested an improvement on the official forum. http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5125

As we're all well aware, Fallout had a lot of terrible mechanics which can be easily improved.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
In W2 it's slow, but so is exploring the areas, especially since there are those annoying dirt piles hidden for you to dig, so after clearing an area of enemies is only natural to do a search using perception... enough time for at least one or two healing procs, so mabout 10-20% of my character's total HP. Unless they were badly wounded, that's enough to get the whole party back to full health.

Worst even, the skills checks don't have critical failures like in Fallout. So you can keep trying to open a door/chest with 20% until it opens. And while you're trying, your health is regenerating. Since the events only happen when you arrive at them, there's no time restraints, you can spend a long time trying to pass a hard skill check, or just waiting for your HP to regen.

Saying that it was in W1 doesn't make it a good mechanic. Every Infinity Engine game allowed you to rest everywhere and spam spells with your wizards... it's cheesy, but A LOT of people did it. Same thing will happen here.. if your party's fucked up, just leave the game running for a couple minutes while you make a sandwich or so, and suddenly they are on full health.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Regenerating health is quite an unexpected choice.

:popamole:

:retarded:

Not even New Vegas has auto-health built in as a base ability. You can get perks to get health regen, but... What the fuck is the point of healing items? There's no risk what so ever that you may run out of healing after battle. Just sit around like a retard and go back to full health.

FML. I will never kickstart a game ever again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:lol: The game isn't out yet bro.

That's what was said about Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Now I have a reason to go on their forums and bitch about something.

All power to you. If enough people complain, it'll be removed.

I don't think very slow health regen is really a huge deal, especially as it diminishes in importance as your characters become more powerful, but it has too many bad associations and exploitability and it should probably be removed.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
:lol: The game isn't out yet bro.

That's what was said about Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Now I have a reason to go on their forums and bitch about something.

I don't think very slow health regen is really a huge deal, especially as it diminishes in importance as your characters become more powerful, but it has too many bad associations and exploitability and it should probably be removed.

If there was a hard to obtain/expensive implant/perk/thing then it's ok in that context because you must sacrifice something for it.

New Vegas did this with auto healing: there's an implant but it heals like 1 hp every 12 seconds and costs 12,000 caps. There's a perk for auto healing, but it requires investing in Survival. Granted, Stimpacks had no weight (duuuurrr...) so this is sorta moot, but at least the game attempted the concept of resource management.

Built-in auto healing is retarded. It breaks up game balance in so many ways.

Last edited:

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
At the very least, it should be a pretty easy thing for them to make toggle-able. You know, turn off health regen in hardcore or expert mode or whatever it is they are doing for difficulty levels.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer

That's not necessarily true. The vision holders of the game will make their best judgments based on fun, the core experience of Wasteland 2, backer feedback, loyalty to the original Wasteland 1, and other factors.

If a lot of people really don't like it that's a very relevant piece of information, but I think the barrier for change is higher here because this is a mechanic that is brought in directly from Wasteland 1 and we're careful about deviating from the original unnecessarily.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Also, having watched a few live feeds, I don't see guys just sitting around, letting themselves heal up. People are using the healing items. Which says to me the mechanic is not OPd.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom