Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #40: Beta Released!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Down with resource free healing!

Up with water for health!

Little American Flags for all!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, having watched a few live feeds, I don't see guys just sitting around, letting themselves heal up. People are using the healing items. Which says to me the mechanic is no OPd.
Just sitting there for 10 min waiting for health is boring, but that's the only downside boredom. Of course no one is going to stream them standing in place waiting for health.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Obviously no one will use it always... but you'll never again be in a situation where your party members are all injured, you have no healing items and the fight ahead is hard.... instead of pushing you to the limit and challenging you, all it will happen is that most people will just be AFK a while and return for aweshum battles in full health.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
but that's the only downside boredom.

You mean the only "downside" in a thing meant to be entertaining (a game) is "boredom"? I'd say that's a pretty big fucking downside and a reason why most people won't do it. A lot of game mechanics use "boredom" as a check against exploitation, and it works. Because people don't want to be bored when playing a game.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Obviously no one will use it always... but you'll never again be in a situation where your party members are all injured, you have no healing items and the fight ahead is hard.... instead of pushing you to the limit and challenging you, all it will happen is that most people will just be AFK a while and return for aweshum battles in full health.

Can you name one RPG where this occurs? Or rather, can you name one RPG where the developers don't give people an "out" to prevent getting stuck?

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
At any rate, a good compromise would be to keep automatic health regen, but it cut it off at a certain percentage. So, say, once you reach 25% of your total health, the regen stops. That prevents getting completely stuck, and also gives value to healing items.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Fargo needs to play one of the Soul's games.

DragoFireheart

At any rate, a good compromise would be to keep automatic health regen, but it cut it off at a certain percentage. So, say, once you reach 25% of your total health, the regen stops. That prevents getting completely stuck, and also gives value to healing items.

No compromising with Communists.

Maintain healing items. Run out? Tough luck, the wasteland is a harsh place that has no sympathy for popamole Biodrones.

Hearing that there's regenerating health in Wasteland 2 just officially ruined my day. Assholes.

9151.jpg

Fallout didn't. Only if you rested.

Yeah, I don't recall. Didn't you gain some hit points per day even without resting (most noticable in world map travel)?

You could also stop every day on your travel to attempt a new Doctor roll to fix your fucked up limbs.

tuluse

Arcane
Decado

This happened to me
In the first area you visit there are 2 encounters. You can easily beat one, go exploring for a bit, come back and fight the second one at full health.

The first encounter was trivialized due to health regen. I was only out the ammo used. So I would say it need to be adjusted in some manner.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Decado

This happened to me
In the first area you visit there are 2 encounters. You can easily beat one, go exploring for a bit, come back and fight the second one at full health.

The first encounter was trivialized due to health regen. I was only out the ammo used. So I would say it need to be adjusted in some manner.

I agree with you. There should at least be an option to turn if off, or scale it with difficulty level.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
DecadoThe first encounter was trivialized due to health regen. I was only out the ammo used. So I would say it need to be adjusted in some manner.

Those two encounters were piss easy even on "Ranger" difficulty. I had one character that lost about half health, just used a health pot and voila no problem.

I'm also surprised that Tigranes died to the frog.

tuluse

Arcane
Those two encounters were piss easy even on "Ranger" difficulty. I had one character that lost about half health, just used a health pot and voila no problem.

I'm also surprised that Tigranes died to the frog.
Sure but why even use the item when you could have just walked around looting and gotten the health back in that time.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

Exactly. You're removing much of the potential tension from the game, diminishing the enjoyment of combat by nearly eliminating the possibility of "sub-optimal" conditions for your characters.

Johannes

Arcane
but that's the only downside boredom.

You mean the only "downside" in a thing meant to be entertaining (a game) is "boredom"? I'd say that's a pretty big fucking downside and a reason why most people won't do it. A lot of game mechanics use "boredom" as a check against exploitation, and it works. Because people don't want to be bored when playing a game.
It's totally boring, yes, that's why it shouldn't be in. Idling and waiting is not something that players should be encouraged to do.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Didn't you gain some hit points per day even without resting (most noticable in world map travel)?

Hmm, I think you're right about the map.
That's not exactly health-regen as in W2, though.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I managed to solo the first area with a assault rifle character on Ranger difficulty, frog included. The I couldn't get past Highpool nor Ag. Center, weapons start to deal too little damage against armored enemies... I suspect that a full mellee character is the best to go solo, at least at the start.

My full party group on the other hand, is doing well. Agricultural Center is WAAAAY easier than Highpool, especially since in Highpool everyone can shoot through walls. Sham that since loot is random, ammo managedment is a bitch... I'm swimming in rifle and 12gauge bullets, but everyone else is out, having to fight melee...

DragoFireheart

These people posting in my topic on the W2 forum are breaking my heart. :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These people posting in my topic on the W2 forum are breaking my heart. :(

Well, you were being a bit hyperbolic there. Need to provide more concrete examples.

That SniperHF guy is pretty monocled, he makes cool Age of Decadence videos.

DragoFireheart

Well, you were being a bit hyperbolic there. Need to provide more concrete examples.

That SniperHF guy is pretty monocled, he makes cool Age of Decadence videos.

He seems alright I guess. Still irks me he wants to keep it in some form.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom