Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #40: Beta Released!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm glad this is turning out to to be the travesty I said it'd be.

You're trolling of course, but if you'll notice, the Codex is on the whole receiving the beta remarkably well (better than even my optimistic self expected) so a travesty it really ain't.
Really, because I'm seeing "boring combat, dumb and negligible C&C, lies about the fixed camera angle."

Our main thread is here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/wasteland-2-beta-release-thread.88397/

Mainly complaints about the UI, and some sustained nitpicking from the usual suspects.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
*critical failure*
*reload*

This whole approach is fundamentally flawed. Man who could have foreseen something like--oh right.
And is it better to let people with 10% chance to keep trying until they get it, with no penalty whatsoever besides boredom? Using hard checks like AoD makes much more sense. Either you can, or you can't, otherwise it's just a matter of save-scumming or patience.

Unless you've got everybody but felipepepe on ignore I'm going to go ahead and say "try harder".
I AM enjoying the game, but it has some glaring issues that should be pointed out now, while we can.

And is it better to let people with 10% chance to keep trying until they get it, with no penalty whatsoever besides boredom? Using hard checks like AoD makes much more sense. Either you can, or you can't, otherwise it's just a matter of save-scumming or patience.

I think what Roguey's referring to is that in PE, you'll be able to go a certain amount beneath the hard check, but at greater resource cost (at least I think so), which is a way in which you both keep it deterministic and avoid hard limits that can't possibly be passed without rerolling a character.

Of course, depends on how much you want to avoid these hard limits whether you like this approach.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I AM enjoying the game, but it has some glaring issues that should be pointed out now, while we can.

I haven't played the beta, but I agree with the sentiment. There would be no point in releasing a beta if people didn't give them feedback, both positive and negative.

I think what Roguey's referring to is that in PE, you'll be able to go a certain amount beneath the hard check, but at greater resource cost (at least I think so), which is a way in which you both keep it deterministic and avoid hard limits that can't possibly be passed without rerolling a character.

Of course, depends on how much you want to avoid these hard limits whether you like this approach.

A bit like the effort stuff they plan on having in Torment?

A bit like the effort stuff they plan on having in Torment?

Is effort going to be a finite resource (didn't really get how that worked, imagined it a bit like the fate points in Arcanum)? I remember it being more that you need to buy certain tools, and those tools deplete if you're below the required skill level.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Is effort going to be a finite resource (didn't really get how that worked, imagined it a bit like the fate points in Arcanum)? I remember it being more that you need to buy certain tools, and those tools deplete if you're below the required skill level.

Good question. I'm not sure if effort is a finite resource or if you'll have x amounts of effort to use at any given time.

I'm liking that P:E system, it makes sure the game is not 100% inflexible when it comes to checks while still having a downside to not make it retarded easy, assuming of course those finite resources aren't piss easy to come by.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played the beta, but I agree with the sentiment. There would be no point in releasing a beta if people didn't give them feedback, both positive and negative.

Well no shit, Sherlock. I was only jibing, for one. For another, I mentioned 'pepe because he seemed the most vocal about not liking much at all. I'm using the beta Centre to report bugs and ideas myself, naturally.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Well no shit, Sherlock. I was only jibing, for one. For another, I mentioned 'pepe because he seemed the most vocal about not liking much at all. I'm using the beta Centre to report bugs and ideas myself, naturally.

:thumbsup:

I worry a bit because I have seen "dude, it's a beta" being used as an excuse for poor design and/or bugginess far too many times.

Last edited:

MrEvilGuy

Educated

Lexx

Cipher
Yeah, because this is the real life and shit, and not a game.

Man, sometimes realismfanatics are really, really annoying.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Im just annoyed that I didnt get a link to the beta even with my $100 donation on Kickstarter and I even got an email to give my computer specs.

Yeah, because this is the real life and shit, and not a game.

Man, sometimes realismfanatics are really, really annoying.

What does it matter whether you use a gamist or a simulationist argument against health regen? The end result is that you don't get health regen either way.

Last edited:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That's the idea, and it's worth highlighting the Codex is pretty much hitting the same notes we did, the ones Brian explicitly mentioned in his update, ones I hit on myself while testing and doing level design passes. It's not perfect, it needs work, but believe it or not it's good to see we're on one line on a lot of this stuff. It means we all have the same basic sensibilities, and that's great.

Black

Arcane
I saw some people complaining about fonts being too hard to read.

AstroZombie

Arcane
That's the idea, and it's worth highlighting the Codex is pretty much hitting the same notes we did, the ones Brian explicitly mentioned in his update, ones I hit on myself while testing and doing level design passes. It's not perfect, it needs work, but believe it or not it's good to see we're on one line on a lot of this stuff. It means we all have the same basic sensibilities, and that's great.

On that note, please remove the health regen.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Holy shit, this bitching about health regen is so laughably juvenile. no matter implementation, no matter how it affects gameplay. The concept is shit because... because!
- slow regen out of fight doesn't give you advatage in fight
- it also doesn't give much of advatage between fights on the same map
so what is the point?
yes you can exploit the system by waiting for 10-15 minutes doing nothing. yeah, what a time well spent, repeatedly. You know what? I would rather use some medicine. If someone wants to wait for full regen after each fight, why bother? The system doesn't force you. It allows you to do boring tedious shit by exploiting system or to roleplay and behave properly.

-> no need to remove health regen. maybe slow it down just a bit more.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
- slow regen out of fight doesn't give you advatage in fight
- it also doesn't give much of advatage between fights on the same map

Suppose that's true.. why is it there then?

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
to make the the beginning of the game a bit easier? (given the regen rate stays the same the whole game)
to reduce pointless handling with items for sake of raising a number which is used only in fights without affecting the very fights?
to evade a chance of running into deadlock no-matter-what-you-do-you-lose conditions?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
felipepepe

I thought of a great way to handle the auto-health regneration. Remember Dragon's Dogma and the white health bar meter?

What if that were implemented in this game? You can auto-heal up to the white health bar, but if you take a serious wound you don't auto-heal through it since the white health bar is shorter.

If the health bar regeneration is useless on higher levels, then at the final stages of the beta it should already be useless, as it's length represents 20% of the whole game. Does it becomes so or not?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
to make the the beginning of the game a bit easier? (given the regen rate stays the same the whole game)
to reduce pointless handling with items for sake of raising a number which is used only in fights without affecting the very fights?
to evade a chance of running into deadlock no-matter-what-you-do-you-lose conditions?
Disagree, health management isn't limited only to the combat phase.

Without health regen you might use different combat tactics because you know there are gonna be more fights and you have only so much health boosting items. So you might avoid bumrushing enemies with a machete and instead sniping them from afar. Or you might avoid soloing certain parts and instead take on a companion or two. Or maybe you know you're going to explore a vast ass dungeon infested with enemies so you stock on health packs which means you have less money left to spend on other things etc.

Health regen is for fags.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom