Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Suz is amazing...usually...fluff is crated to explain away game aspects...but he creates fluff and wants game mechanics to follow it.

Christ...fucker takes Story Crafting and applies it to gameplay.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am quite perplexed. If forums had real impact on game development, we would not have so much shit around. Gathering ideas and suggestions has so far always been an opportunity to ignore them with a "Ya know, while this idea seems good on paper, I can do the fuck I want."

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So judging from this page and previous ones, if forums are to be taken into account, Wasteland 2 will be a liberal farmville with gay romances in which you can probably date a sheep and buy qorans.

Sounds pretty much like what I gave 50$ for. Isn't there still time to pull back that codex statue offer?

Do we even want to get into that territory?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1976&p=39953

Not quite sure what to make of this.

First time I've seen this line of thinking....for me...it seems he's talking about video games but completely neglects everything that has context in the genre.
It also sounds like he hasn't played any PnP game released this century. Simulation has generally given way to focused systems that emphasize the game's topic and abstract everything else.

deus101

BAH!
Can someone here please bash me for my overly romanticized views on RPGs.

deus101

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89&start=400

Achievement Unlocked:
340x_view_320200_1_1267208272.jpg

Advocated child killing.

I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS!

Oh well, if the consensus results in removeing children rather then having NPC's with god mode running around, that fine with me...

But why not just call them..."Youths" :smug:

God what a shrill and pointless issue, and arguing against god mode solution apparently makes me a Jeffrey Dahmer candidate.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It is a weird debate, and kind of pointless, because it's hard to know how much freedom inXile can permit here, even or maybe because they have no publisher (so they themselves would be liable for suits, and that is pretty dangerous).

So judging from this page and previous ones, if forums are to be taken into account,

Stupid ideas aren't being taken into account. I dunno why this hasn't been clear since day 1.

deus101

Brother None

Aw man...why did you have to remove my alibi when that thread is including into a grognard.txt

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, tell me BN, is there a thread that says "Please don't use Bioware/Bethesda as an inspiration for anything"? If there isn't, do you think there should be? No, I won't make it, don't worry. Kthx.

Johannes

Arcane
So, tell me BN, is there a thread that says "Please don't use Bioware/Bethesda as an inspiration for anything"? If there isn't, do you think there should be? No, I won't make it, don't worry. Kthx.
No, there shouldn't be. Both companies have made some games with some nice ideas in them, even if most of their games seem shitty overall.

How about make a thread that says "Please don't use bad ideas for inspiration" instead

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

No. And there shouldn't be, that's not discussing WL2 as much as just mocking other companies. Besides, BioWare and Bethesda CONSTANTLY get brought up as examples of doing it wrong in various thread, so I think it's clear enough.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"Please don't use bad ideas for inspiration"

Well, yeah, I was mostly joking, but who really decides what's a bad idea and what not?

And how about a "No minigames of any kind" thread? That there yet? Do InXile consider them a bad idea or not?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
And how about a "No minigames of any kind" thread? That there yet?

Yes. Been and gone.

Dunno if inXile likes em. I doubt it. Never once heard em brought up as an interesting mechanics, and the draft of the Vision Doc I have doesn't mention 'em.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yes I think InXile gets the fact that the majority of Wasteland 2 backers are trying to avoid the whole Bethesda and Bioware mass appeal direction. People are still fretting it seems. Still.

Anyway, Brian spends lots of time on twitter but with lack of updates so I take it the 'crunch' time hasn't started yet?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Never once heard em brought up as an interesting mechanics, and the draft of the Vision Doc I have doesn't mention 'em.

That's great! Now leak the document, plz.

Also, if you removed the thread about child killing, you could remove the one about gay characters as well. It's the same kind of pointless crap.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anyway, Brian spends lots of time on twitter but with lack of updates so I take it the 'crunch' time hasn't started yet?

Crunch is in a few months, when design is locked down. They're having regular meetings now, thinking up locations, writing out the vision doc, discussing and fabbing screenshots, look of the game, etc. They want to get details nailed down so the main design process isn't iterative, as iterative design is very time-consuming.

Fargo's job is kind of halfway between producer and PR, so he'll spend quite a bit of time doing PR stuff like social media and interviews. That just means the designers can focus on designing, so it's all good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom