Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Wasteland 2 and the rpg genre is the dying old man on death bed who is grasping his last breaths.
It's the last chance for us, gamers to play the last true RPG and for Fargo to deliver it and place himself with MCA on pedestal of RPG gaming.
Anyone seriously believes that this silly kickstarter with Fargo and his small rebellion can go up against the imperial overlords at EA-Activision-Zenimax?
Savor all the small moments that will come, because what you see is history in the making.Wasteland 2 will be the last real RPG that anyone of us will play.
After this, you will be telling your grandchildren stories of games that used to have 'choices' and 'consequences' which involved something more than choosing between gay elf sex and dancing with locos.

-Grandpa Codex tell me once again about RPGs and MCA, about the gaming industry, how games were fun and created by gamers for gamers who enjoyed their craft and not by corporations that only have their eyes set on profit and metacritic....

ME3Ending001.jpg

Wasteland 2 and the rpg genre is the dying old man on death bed who is grasping his last breaths.
It's the last chance for us, gamers to play the last true RPG and for Fargo to deliver it and place himself with MCA on pedestal of RPG gaming.
Anyone seriously believes that this silly kickstarter with Fargo and his small rebellion can go up against the imperial overlords at EA-Activision-Zenimax?
Savor all the small moments that will come, because what you see is history in the making.Wasteland 2 will be the last real RPG that anyone of us will play.
After this, you will be telling your grandchildren stories of games that used to have 'choices' and 'consequences' which involved something more than choosing between gay elf sex and dancing with locos.

-Grandpa Codex tell me once again about RPGs and MCA, about the gaming industry, how games were fun and created by gamers for gamers who enjoyed their craft and not by corporations that only have their eyes set on profit and metacritic....

ME3Ending001.jpg

Sad thing is, you're probably true. Maybe there will be some good indies though. But I predict this goes to retardo. :salute:

Mortmal

Arcane
Not the the dying old man last breath , hes been rotting since years, more like blooming fresh mushrooms using the corpse as nutrients. That assuming wasteland 2 will be good, theres absolutely no guarantee of it , codex statue in it or not , it may very well turn to be another stonekeep or descent to undermountain level of disapointment.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Who the fuck wants traditional CRPGs to become mainstream anyway? I don't think a single person waiting for Wasteland 2 is thinking "gee, I really like this Wasteland thing, but what if it was a shooter instead."

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not the the dying old man last breath , hes been rotting since years, more like blooming fresh mushrooms using the corpse as nutrients. That assuming wasteland 2 will be good, theres absolutely no guarantee of it , codex statue in it or not , it may very well turn to be another stonekeep or descent to undermountain level of disapointment.
I admit I wasn't on line much during the mid nineties (or at all, really), but I do not remember Stonekeep being any sort of disappointment.

Who the fuck wants traditional CRPGs to become mainstream anyway? I don't think a single person waiting for Wasteland 2 is thinking "gee, I really like this Wasteland thing, but what if it was a shooter instead."

Was it bad when it was time of Fallout and Baldur's gate, and when they were considered relatively "mainstream"?

And can't believe you guys want drama more than a proper crpg. I dream of a good post-apocalyptic rpg to succeed Fallout 1 and 2. :decline:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Was it bad when it was time of Fallout and Baldur's gate, and when they were considered relatively "mainstream"?
They also came from a time when most games could get away with being 2D, having complicated interfaces and sharp learning curves. They're excellent games but in a lot of ways, the games industry and expectations for games has moved on. The obsession with ease of use, streamlining/simplification, cinematic cutscenes, Hollywood-style storytelling and moving away from tabletop-style rules means that the current RPG market and its fans are different from what they were 10-15 years ago.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Most RPG fans of today only really care about immershun. They want a game in FPP or 3rdPP with gigantic landscapes and architecture. And they want to decorate their house and play dress up doll with their virtual wife. Everything else is secondary. I wish I was being a smart ass trying to be funny, but this is the truth.

quasimodo

Augur
The hope of WL2 is not to somehow fix the mainstream RPG genre, it is to build a stable niche somewhat bigger and better than Jeff Vogel/Spiderweb games.

aris

Arcane
What if W2 ends up being shit? Just imagine the drama, 'twould be glorious.
Would easily be worth the 15$ I spent on the game
Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Realistically, I think the best we can hope for is a decent, competently put together RPG. But that is good enough, damnit. And we will also get some good drama between the apologists and the disappointed people that expected the divine coming of the best RPG of all times.

What if W2 ends up being shit? Just imagine the drama, 'twould be glorious.
Would easily be worth the 15$ I spent on the game
Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Realistically, I think the best we can hope for is a competently put together RPG. But that is good enough, damnit. And we will also get some good drama between the apologists and the disappointed people that expected the divine coming of the supreme RPG.

I don't think that people expect that. I expect a competent crpg in range of quality of Fallout 1. And that IS divine coming of the supreme RPG in these days. :smug:

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Why not both?
If it is a proper RPG, it will probably bring drama too. Judging from the Wasteland 2 forums, there are a lot of people that gave money without having the slightest idea what Wasteland was. It has the potential to bring huge amounts of butthurt and drama.

I hope it won't be us again.

Yeah, it would be a shame if the SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY crowd ended up on a crusade against the game out of misguided butthurt. Fortunately there aren't really "a lot" of those, we just notice them in the W2 forums because they're pretty vocal and create threads about their romances, real time combats and gay characters.

aris

Arcane
They also came from a time when most games could get away with being 2D, having complicated interfaces and sharp learning curves.
The tme where games "could get away" with being 2D, was also a time where 3D-graphics largely did not exist or was at an extremely early stage of development. Also, games still get away with being 2D: There are plently of 2D games being made today, plenty high profile 2D games even (diablo 3, limbo, rayman origins, just to name a small selection). As for complicated interfaces and sharp learning curves... why is that necessarily good? Same thing can probably be asked for 2D: I think it has been proven times and times again by now that there is nothing special about 2D when it comes to the quality of a game.

Mortmal

Arcane

It's the death of corporate run RPGs and birth of a thousand fungal blooms of less budgeted but more fan focused RPGs. Most of them will still suck because too many devs have never played a real RPG but it just takes one successful old school RPG and that will change.

Its rare to get indie rpgs and Its even more rarethey dont sucks, this year will be considered as good cause we got one game so far(not played dragon's dogma yet) , legend of grimrock, and even that wont satisfy everyone , not the wizardry crowd of course.
I dont think the devs never played a real rpg, its a lack of vision and overall lazyness, a need for easy profits.Theres nothing preventing more low budget titles like KOTC , but thats never going to happen, not when you can make some ipad casual apps for less effort and gaining considerably more money.

To sum up what can we look forward to, lets look at those pretty fungi : Wasteland 2,age of decadence , The banner , Shadowrun ,Dead state(very doubtful), FTL ,theres no guarantee on the release date of any of them nor the quality althought i am more optimistic about age of decadence now, oh and forgot surfsolar fallout conversion, in 10-20 years just after grimoire. Without kickstarter its really grim, in the mainstream eventually a new witcher , maybe some unknown hardcore japanese rpg i dont know yet about.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
Most RPG fans of today only really care about immershun. They want a game in FPP or 3rdPP with gigantic landscapes and architecture. And they want to decorate their house and play dress up doll with their virtual wife. Everything else is secondary. I wish I was being a smart ass trying to be funny, but this is the truth.

Quoted for truth, but I'm hoping W2 atleast a good throwback and I didn't just piss away $85.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What will happen when all the old school devs die off? When the most experienced devs in the industry are the ones that grew up playing Oblivion, Fallout 3, WoW and crap like that?

I think the darkest time for this industry is yet to come, 'cause at the very least we still have some really cool people still working in cool games, but that is going to end sooner or later. I just hope we won't be around to see that... Speaking of which at least now I'm sure that I want to be cremated, lest I start turning in my grave at the release of Elder Scrolls vs Mass Effect Arcade Edition.

EDIT: that was probably a bad choice of games to ridicule, since they don't need any external help to do that. Just trying to get my point across.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom