Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by turrican, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Yeah, it would be a shame if the SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY crowd ended up on a crusade against the game out of misguided butthurt. Fortunately there aren't really "a lot" of those, we just notice them in the W2 forums because they're pretty vocal and create threads about their romances, real time combats and gay characters.

^ Top  
  2. gaudaost Arcane

gaudaost
    The tme where games "could get away" with being 2D, was also a time where 3D-graphics largely did not exist or was at an extremely early stage of development. Also, games still get away with being 2D: There are plently of 2D games being made today, plenty high profile 2D games even (diablo 3, limbo, rayman origins, just to name a small selection). As for complicated interfaces and sharp learning curves... why is that necessarily good? Same thing can probably be asked for 2D: I think it has been proven times and times again by now that there is nothing special about 2D when it comes to the quality of a game.

^ Top  
  3. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

^ Top  
  4. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Its rare to get indie rpgs and Its even more rarethey dont sucks, this year will be considered as good cause we got one game so far(not played dragon's dogma yet) , legend of grimrock, and even that wont satisfy everyone , not the wizardry crowd of course.
    I dont think the devs never played a real rpg, its a lack of vision and overall lazyness, a need for easy profits.Theres nothing preventing more low budget titles like KOTC , but thats never going to happen, not when you can make some ipad casual apps for less effort and gaining considerably more money.

To sum up what can we look forward to, lets look at those pretty fungi : Wasteland 2,age of decadence , The banner , Shadowrun ,Dead state(very doubtful), FTL ,theres no guarantee on the release date of any of them nor the quality althought i am more optimistic about age of decadence now, oh and forgot surfsolar fallout conversion, in 10-20 years just after grimoire. Without kickstarter its really grim, in the mainstream eventually a new witcher , maybe some unknown hardcore japanese rpg i dont know yet about.

^ Top  
  5. Executer Phrenologist

Executer
    Project: Eternity
    Quoted for truth, but I'm hoping W2 atleast a good throwback and I didn't just piss away $85.

^ Top  
  6. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    What will happen when all the old school devs die off? When the most experienced devs in the industry are the ones that grew up playing Oblivion, Fallout 3, WoW and crap like that?

I think the darkest time for this industry is yet to come, 'cause at the very least we still have some really cool people still working in cool games, but that is going to end sooner or later. I just hope we won't be around to see that... Speaking of which at least now I'm sure that I want to be cremated, lest I start turning in my grave at the release of Elder Scrolls vs Mass Effect Arcade Edition.

EDIT: that was probably a bad choice of games to ridicule, since they don't need any external help to do that. Just trying to get my point across.

^ Top  
  7. Executer Phrenologist

Executer
    Project: Eternity
    I congratulate you Outlander just when I thought I couldn't be more pessimistic about RPGs you managed to open my mind to new levels of decline. Atleast I can watch ME3 fans complain about how much RPGs have declined in that space of time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    mmmm, we still have players who have played the golden age of rpgs or are at least receptive to them who in turn become independent developers, if by some crazy fluke they all die off the cumulative backlog I will have amassed by then will carry me through

since you don't need big production resources to do good squad based stuff/dungeon crawlers/roguelikes I'm not bothered on the gameplay front,
    a) those are made to be extremely replayable
    b) fucksake you can download a whole bunch for free right now

narrative wise suck it up and go read a book or take up playing interactive fiction
    be honest if you really exclusively love them narratives so damn much how did the frequency of those rpgs even come close to satisfying you, compare this to the amount of books you can read in one year and not come close to running out

once again you will do well to have more than just gaming as your hobby

and if nothing else remember that good strategy games have more c&c than the very best rpgs :cool::smug::cool:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. bminorkey Liturgist

bminorkey
    you are the james joyce of forum posting,

^ Top  
  10. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Don't forget about the Warsaw Pact countries. I'm sure they can bring us some good RPGs.

And only if North Korea made games...

^ Top  
  11. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    :what:

^ Top  
  12. thesisko Emissary

thesisko
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Sea, I am dissapoint. It's not been that long since last NWN2 expansions and DA:Origins, and I wouldn't exactly say that the interfaces of BG/Fallout were much more complicated than those. Hell, Fallout 1 has a simpler interface than New Vegas. Also, Fallout 1/2 only sold a few 100K copies if I'm not misinformed.

The RPG fanbase hasn't so much "moved on" as it's been mislabelled upon the millions of console gamers that consider Skyrim and ME to be finest examples of the genre. I'm sure a "traditional" RPG could sell Fallout 1/2 numbers, if not significantly more. No, not enough for a next-gen "have to sell 3M or flush our whole studio down the toilet"-game, but the market clearly has room for other types of games.

If anything, the market is a far better place for those kinds of games as it's possible to market and deliver them to your fans without spending a fortune on advertising and sucking retailer's cocks.

My prediction: Wasteland 2 will sell more than Fallout 1&2 combined.

^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I actually remember Baldur's Gate being considered a bizarre throwback by some of the Quake/Unreal multiplayer-fixated PC gaming crowd of that era. You had reviewers complaining about the lack of "multiplayer deathmatch maps".

^ Top  
  14. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Just proving that gaming journalists haven't declined, they've always been trendfag morons.

^ Top  
  15. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. What I meant to say was that while there is a traditional RPG audience, it's not really enough to sell millions upon millions that most publishers expect or want. Until the mainstream games industry realizes it can't continue exclusively with the "throw tons of money at something and hope it works to make up for everything else that flops" method of producing games, we aren't going to see publishers supporting those sorts of titles.

Those fans of more traditional RPGs haven't "moved on" so to speak, but there is a whole new generation of RPG fans who are used to the more modern titles of BioWare and Bethesda, and that's the new target market publishers are aiming for.

^ Top  
  16. Wyrmlord Arcane

Wyrmlord
    Well, if you see, the Wasteland 2 suggestions page, many of the people anticipating this game are not far off from that description.

^ Top  
  17. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    There surely must be a piece of the market pie for fans of the more traditional rpgs. As it was shown by Wasteland 2 kickstarter. It's just that most of the publishers aren't interested in making Fallout 2 kind of money anymore, everybody wants bazillion $$$.

^ Top  
  18. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Yep. On the other hand, gaming journalism snicker wasn't as prestigious pff as it is now, so at least they were more modest about their retardation ohoho omigawd

^ Top  
  19. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Bros, you live in a world where a gaming site will ask people what the most important games of all time are, and you will get at least 40 mentions of Angry Birds and Wii Sports, and maybe 5 of any Ultima game. Yeah.

^ Top  
  20. Father Walker Potato Ranger

Father Walker
    Fixed it for you.

Anyway, no need to be so post-apo guys.

^ Top  
  21. Cabazone Educated

Cabazone
    It was considered mainstream because it was a small industry compared to what we have today. By today standard, fallout and baldur's gate aren't at all mainstream, they all have a small budget (a few millions) and try to reach a not-so-big crowd (people who was playing role playing game on PC at the time). I doubt any modern producer think a game who are OK with 400 000 units sold as mainstream.

^ Top  
  22. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Publishers don't fund moderately profitable games, they just don't. They want huge hits. I'm tired of people saying RPGs are dead, they are not dead, and never will be, they are just not huge hits. In fact as some have pointed out, the hardcore RPG market has only been growing. Today you could probably hit 1 million copies sold. Wasteland 2 once it comes out will be very interesting for many different reasons.

^ Top  
  23. Cabazone Educated

Cabazone
    I doubt the explanation is that simple. The problem is that the traditionnal RPG market is a dark zone. Producers don't know if it exist and if that the case, what are their characteristics. You can have clues, like internet claims on forum, but it's hard to say if a person screaming on a forum (and you have to know about the forum) represent only himself or a thousand silent people, it's hard to say if what that person telling he want is really what he would buy, etc. Same goes with Wasteland 2 bakers : what the 60 000 bakers mean ? 60 000 potential constant buyers ? More ? Less ? Will they even enjoy the game and buy the next ? Producer just don't know what are the sizes of the market, what budget game on it should have, what they should be to be successful, how to market it, etc. Even if you believe the market exist (which most producers don't even think), it's a risk, you can have to try a few time before have it right, and when you have what you perceive to be a surer bet on the other hand, you generally chose the second option.

^ Top  
  24. Wise Emperor Cipher

Wise Emperor
    It wont be last breath - I think the best comparison to video game industry, is music industry. Everybody will say that good music was made in 19th century, 60's, 70's, etc - based on preferences - and now we swim in pool of crap. Still there are some great genre revival, obscure bands/composers - they are not just part of mainstream, you don't hear them in radio/tv, but they exist. You need to just dig deeper and spend more time for searching. People will always complain that new ones are much worse, but seriously isn't their opinion based(and biased) on cool childhood/teenage memories? Would Grimrock be much worse if released in the times of Eye of the Beholder?

^ Top  
  25. Cabazone Educated

Cabazone
    Bullshit, there is ton of stuff i was loving as a child or a teeneger that I despise today. The reasons I love Fallout today are different to the reasons i was loving it when i was 12. People still discovers and love Arcanum or planescape torment in 2012 (in fact, probably more than at the time). The values we attach on a cultural object is more complex than "loving it during that period of life, so considered it to be the best thing ever until the end of time".

^ Top