Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Wasteland 2 Progress Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, I know it's just an example, but you have to wonder why Brian used this one - after 6 months of writing - to illustrate the game's deep, mature, setting-appropriate choices.

To avoid giving out spoilers?

The entire "stumble upon ACSHUN scenario, make quick decision" thing is distinctly Biowarian territory. While Fallout had a fair share of events that sound similar on paper, their implementation didn't make the player feel jarringly de-immersed. BlahblahblahSPECIAL SEQUENCEblahblahblahSPECIAL SEQUENCEblahblahblah-

A true Fallouty game should treat everything matter-of-factly. This consistency should eat at the player slowly, keep them on their toes, and immerse them deeper in the world. Things just happen in the gameworld, none of them are propped up for display or labeled. Quests shouldn't have artsy names, like "Blood Ties" or "Exodus" or whatever. They should say "Find the generator", or "Rescue Jane from the necromorphs", because they are your character's notes as he goes along - not Todd Howard's. In Fallout world, shit just happens, and your character does what he can.

Well bro, I'm not ironic or something, as both you and Vault Dweller are game developers, Fallout fans, and I think have really smart and intelligent game design ideas, why not post this shit you post here to W2 devs, on their forums, (as Fallout also had his own "forum watch", they were even referred to as the "Unwashed Villagers" as I seem to recall from a special random encounter), and as I believe both you and Vault Dweller want W2 to be a great game and bring us what we have yearned for since the cancellation of Van Buren, you can actually, perhaps, improve the game. There are a lot of people here that would be great assets and guiding lines for their designers, why not give your intelligent advice, especially since you are indie devs too, and know some "insides" of game development.

/ramble

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I understand. But nitpicking something which was obviously not intended for the kind of scrutiny we might give a fully developed idea isn't going to get you there.
I have no idea what it was intended for. He could have said that they have deep and mature choices and consequences and I would have taken his word for it. But he provided an actual example and I don't want to come up with excuses perfectly reasonable explanations to make this example less jarring:

- he didn't want to spoil us, he's so thoughtful
- he didn't have time to write more, he's so busy
- it's obviously a metaphor for something deep and mature
- it's just an idea his writers didn't turn into something awesome yet
- it's better than nothing
-

Vault Dweller

Developer
Why don't you share your ideas on Wasteland forums Vault Dweller?
Sharing what ideas? That the kid example sucks?

In the absence of anything specific, "sharing ideas" would be like writing your own WL fan-fiction. The job of fans and gamers is to provide feedback, when the developer presents his design ideas and concepts, seeking feedback. Unfortunately, it's not the case here at all, so all we can do is hope that Brian will deliver.

Edit:

There are a lot of people here that would be great assets and guiding lines for their designers...
The designers should be open to it in the first place. That's what's disappointing about the whole thing. I thought that without publishers restricting the info and communication, the development would be very open and we'd watch how the magic happens, growing more confident with every passing day.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
- he didn't want to spoil us, he's so thoughtful
- he didn't have time to write more, he's so busy
- it's obviously a metaphor for something deep and mature
- it's just an idea his writers didn't turn into something awesome yet
- it's better than nothing
-

You forgot:

- he just isn't very good at this sort of thing

and

- maybe this game will be shit

No matter the reason, I repeat: nitpicking something which was obviously not intended for the kind of scrutiny we might give a fully developed idea isn't going to get you there. But, you know, since this sort of thing seems very important to you...keep going. You're making excellent progress in this thread!

almondblight

Arcane
No matter the reason, I repeat: nitpicking something which was obviously not intended for the kind of scrutiny we might give a fully developed idea isn't going to get you there.

Yeah, we should talk about all the other stuff we know about this game.

almondblight

Arcane
No, no. Don't get me wrong. I think its fun to jump to conclusions and get butthurt over vague ideas!

If Fargo released other stuff, we'd talk about it. Let's see:

- We talked about the engine to death. I think most people don't care that it's Unity.
- We talked about the music. I think most people like it.
- We talked about the portraits. I think most people like them.
- We talked about the vision document. I think most people felt it was OK but didn't tell us much.
- We talked about the screenshot. A lot of people thought it was bad, some thought it was fine.
- We talked about Brian's examples. A lot of people think those suck.

The only "butthurt" I've seen is people who think we shouldn't talk about the last two.

UnknownBro

Savant
Commissar Draco
...Morgan's music is...meh. The resonator guitar is compressed so much that it has a really powerful effect when the lower sweep synths make room for it very suddenly, but using the same sample twice without even trying to make them sound any different? Just get a real dobro player in for god's sake! These guys work for fifty bucks an hour! That piece is so simple you can get an amateur to do it for half.
This.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
The only "butthurt" I've seen is people who think we shouldn't talk about the last two.

Shouldn't? Man. If that's honestly all you've taken away from my last few posts you're not even trying. My point is that beyond "Well, that was vague, not entirely interesting and I guess I just hope he's too: (list any of VD or my excuses reasons here)" I don't see the point because what was listed as an example seemed purposefully vague.

And I was only half-joking. I mean, truly. What would this place be without jumping to conclusions and butthurt over vague ideas?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's it. The game will be utter shit.

5978.jpg

kazgar

Arcane
I think Brian should come here with his Volourn login and clear this up for the benefit of all of us.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I deleted it. It was needlessly defensive on a point I essentially agree on. I guess Vault Dweller already got it in the quote-box while I was deleting it though, his reply wasn't there as I was deleting or I wouldn't have bothered. Oh well. Sorry.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Why? Because it will rub too many people the wrong way.

You mean, like the idea of a turn-based top-down RPG in the year 2012?

Oh wait I get it you're extrapolating from your experience with AoD's reception

Vault Dweller

Developer
I deleted it. It was needlessly defensive on a point I essentially agree on. I guess Vault Dweller already got it in the quote-box while I was deleting it though, his reply wasn't there as I was deleting or I wouldn't have bothered. Oh well. Sorry.
Deleted mine as a courtesy to a bro.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
I'm finally installing XCOM Enemy Unknown. I wish the world would freeze for a week allowing more game time for me!

:troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
I'm finally installing XCOM Enemy Unknown. I wish the world would freeze for a week allowing more game time for me!

:troll:

XCOM EU combat system confirmed for Wasteland 2. :smug:

5978.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom