Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Project Update: Vision Document

Some butthurt from escapist forum:

After watching Spoony gush over Ultima IV, and then seeing that it was free on GoG, I grabbed it up, installed it, opened it...and as hard as I tried, couldn't stay with it. I tried, honestly I did, but it is hard to focus on just text when the Skyrims and Mass Effects and Dragon Ages have spoiled us with Oscar-winning voice-acting performances.

The same thing happened with the beloved Baldur's Gate as well. As hard as I tried, the sheer complexity of it all, along with some serious confusion about where to go and what to do, made it hard to immerse myself in the adventure.

Hopefully this project can combine the complexity of a big world and engaging characters with an easy GUI and controls scheme. That's my hope.

Doesn't matter to to if you're afraid of text, what DOES matter is if you're afraid these artwork "constraints" and voice-over expenses. You know what makes a believable NPC? Decent animation and voice acting. It would be a shame if Fargo ended-up overlooking some of the real technical advances in RPGs in favor of giving us a relatively the bare-bones presentation of the nineties.

Just when you thought escapist user's couldn't be any more retarded - they always delivers.

What did you expect from mostly moronic gaming journalists of large gaming sites?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

After watching Spoony gush over Ultima IV, and then seeing that it was free on GoG, I grabbed it up, installed it, opened it...and as hard as I tried, couldn't stay with it. I tried, honestly I did, but it is hard to focus on just text when the Skyrims and Mass Effects and Dragon Ages have spoiled us with Oscar-winning voice-acting performances.

The same thing happened with the beloved Baldur's Gate as well. As hard as I tried, the sheer complexity of it all, along with some serious confusion about where to go and what to do, made it hard to immerse myself in the adventure.

Hopefully this project can combine the complexity of a big world and engaging characters with an easy GUI and controls scheme. That's my hope.

Doesn't matter to to if you're afraid of text, what DOES matter is if you're afraid these artwork "constraints" and voice-over expenses. You know what makes a believable NPC? Decent animation and voice acting. It would be a shame if Fargo ended-up overlooking some of the real technical advances in RPGs in favor of giving us a relatively the bare-bones presentation of the nineties.

Just when you thought escapist user's couldn't be any more retarded - they always delivers.

Post this kind of stuff on the BTE. And you should provide links so we can see if he at least gets flamed by some righteous soul in response.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...an-Fargo-Releases-Wasteland-2-Vision-Document

likaq

Arcane

What did you expect from mostly moronic gaming journalists of large gaming sites?

Absolutely nothing, I quoted them just for fun.

likaq

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Post this kind of stuff on the BTE. And you should provide links so we can see if he at least gets flamed by some righteous soul in response.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...an-Fargo-Releases-Wasteland-2-Vision-Document

BTE -> What is it?

Best Thread Ever in General Gaming

But fuck it, I guess it's okay to have it here too. I didn't realize it was a direct response to a news item about the Vision Document.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
While the threat to the world is a serious one, there are plenty of light-hearted moments along the way, just like in the original game. From gangs of Midwestern-style housewives packing arsenals of guns, clown gangs, robots with the slow drone of a modem connection establishing as they roll in to attack... all of these things are dangerous, but also intended to remind you of the light-hearted nature of the world you're in.

Yeah.

But W1 had some really retarded shit too, so I'm not exactly raging over this. Could have done without it, though.

While the threat to the world is a serious one, there are plenty of light-hearted moments along the way, just like in the original game. From gangs of Midwestern-style housewives packing arsenals of guns, clown gangs, robots with the slow drone of a modem connection establishing as they roll in to attack... all of these things are dangerous, but also intended to remind you of the light-hearted nature of the world you're in.

Yeah.

But W1 had some really retarded shit too, so I'm not exactly raging over this. Could have done without it, though.

I thought in W1 there were hicks with shotguns and monstrous clowns already. :? I just hope that they don't overdo it. I like Fallout 1 in terms of story, humor, and world alot more than F2 with it's attempts at humor. So you can say I'm a seriousness-fag. :smug: Subtle dark humor like I said in F1 is good.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I thought in W1 there were hicks with shotguns and monstrous clowns already.

Which is what I said.

Point is: Fargo thinks killer clown gangs are funny.

Which is what I said.

I thought they were bizarre, and unsettling, not an attempt at humor. If he really thinks it's funny, and intends to put in shit like that as an attempts to humor, someone should rectify it and tell him in the name of the Codex and fans.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm printing this right now, perfect fapping material to have with me at all times!
Well, I have printed it and was reading on the train on my way home from work - then, behold, the person next to me asked "good game?"

And there it was, my own chance to spread word about the decline, and the rebirth of RPGs - I educated him on W2 still being in development, a sequel to a classic from 20 years back.. when he asked "are they working on in it their spare time?" I felt pity for his soul, for the sacrilege would not be forgotten. But I explained the budget, the planned release date, the fact that a game like that could no longer be made these days through normal channels.. I was crying manly tears on the inside for I was doing the work of incline.

At the end, I thought about giving him the documents, but I did not know the dude well enough to share my fapping material with.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
At the end, I thought about giving him the documents, but I did not know the dude well enough to share my fapping material with.

this must be how activists feel when they engage in dialog with the common man

I see you purposely avoided asking him what rpgs he likes

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Which is what I said.

I thought they were bizarre, and unsettling, not an attempt at humor. If he really thinks it's funny, and intends to put in shit like that as an attempts to humor, someone should rectify it and tell him in the name of the Codex and fans.

Bros, you don't get it. MCA is afraid of clowns, that's why he is forced to work on them, that's why they are in the game. No joke.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
MCA is afraid of clowns, that's why he is forced to work on them, that's why they are in the game. No joke.

this is why just like with the PST romances chris will give us the best clown npcs and encounters of the rpg genre

and of course my friends the next logical step is clown romances

feel free to tweet this request to him you have my support

Alex

Arcane
To tell the truth, I don't know about the other designers, but the humor in wasteland did remind me of Tunnels and Trolls a bit, so maybe Fargo isn't the culprit here. That said, I did like the wild atmosphere of the game, so I won't really mind if they do the same type of stuff in the second one.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
C'mon now, isn't MCA going to be doing a good chunk of the writing/designing? Bad jokes and writing are about the only thing I'm not worried about on this project.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not sure about writing.

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/arti...ctor-and-co-owner-obsidian-entertainment-inc/

Mark: I imagine things have been pretty exciting for you now that you’re going to be involved in Wasteland 2. Can you tell us a bit of what you’ll be doing and what kind of role you might be playing in its development?

Chris: I’m doing a bunch of things so far, more than I expected. I’m helping with the vision doc, designing opening areas and the area design process, and helping build templates for dialogues and area specs. My contribution isn’t nearly as much as Fargo, Findley, Keenan and the rest of the inXile team, however.

When not doing physical design, I offer feedback and critiques and forward any random tidbits and elements I’ve dug out of my latest Wasteland 1 playthrough (“Remember when there used to be a West Germany?” “Hey, Reagan had a hover tank named after him!” “Needles used carrier pigeons as their communications center?!”).

Overall, I’m at inXile about 1.5-2 days during the week, either in design meetings, checking out Unity, or typing away on my headphones, and I love it.

hiver

cmonn... we all know he will gets sucked in more and more and end up working at inxile and leaving Obsidian.
it isnt like he is doing anything on South park, or anything else, right?

Johannes

Arcane
The prologue with the meteors is kinda derpy, since meteors hitting tons of satellites doesn't make much sense. Did they have it that detailed in the original? I remember it not saying what caused the satellite blackout, I preferred it that way, it's not like your squad would know the exacts either (if anyone did).

The prologue with the meteors is kinda derpy, since meteors hitting tons of satellites doesn't make much sense. Did they have it that detailed in the original? I remember it not saying what caused the satellite blackout, I preferred it that way, it's not like your squad would know the exacts either (if anyone did).

It's the story from original. I.E. it's the story of Wasteland post apoc setting and how it came to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom