Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Project Update: Vision Document

SerratedBiz

Arcane
So dude, maybe you could fathom the thought that some people do appreciate the possibility of using custom portraits, and that the developer's decision to communicate such an option to them is sensible. You know, letting people know that something they want is in the game.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Compared to games that don't allow custom portraits, the ability to do so is definitely a feature (i.e. a non-non-feature). Not that it's a big and significant feature that deserves much spotlight time, but you're a few light years off the mark there.

"Import your own character portraits" is a shitty poor man's replacement for actual ingame portrait customization

+

Whether the stock portraits will be good or whether there will be any at all is totally irrelevant to that point.

=

Why the hell are you even posting this non-computing shit?

Tigranes

Arcane
Baldur's Gate was shit because you could import your own portraits, never mind it gave you about fifty you could choose.

Codex: Now breeding morons that can't read

:balance:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
In any case I'm glad that majestik12 has no issues with the portrait importing system on these very forums
:greatjob:

majestik12

Arcane
Codex: Now breeding morons that can't read
This. But you really should try to learn. Reading can be rewarding, you know.

For instace, you might try to actually read and understand this:
1. The devs are not providing ingame character customization.
2. This is fine.
3. The devs are providing stock portraits.
4. This is good.
5. The devs let you load third party portraits as an addition to the stock portraits.
4. This is fine too.
5. The devs inform people that they would be able to add third party portraits.
6. Sure, why not?
7. In the process, the devs hype the ability in question as a super-duper customization feature.
8. This is not fine, because an ability to add your momma's photo to the game is not such a feature.

Simple enough?

majestik12

Arcane
visions, this particular "discussion" had nothing to do with stats, skills or any other aspects of customization other than portraits.

1. The devs are not providing ingame character [portrait - as explicitly stated in the initial rage-inducig post] customization.
2. This is fine.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Redding is teh hard, butthurt is strong.

It's very simple. The vision document touts importing portraits and editable biography as required RPG features. Basically, it says that W2 will be a better RPG because of those, which is bullshit, plain and simple.

But, that seems to be PR aimed at Biodrones. I guess Fargo doesn't really want to alienate EVERYBODY.

Either that, or he's a LARPer.

majestik12

Arcane
Redding is teh hard, butthurt is strong.

It's very simple. The vision document touts importing portraits and editable biography as required RPG features. Basically, it says that W2 will be a better RPG because of those, which is bullshit, plain and simple.

But, that seems to be PR aimed at Biodrones. I guess Fargo doesn't really want to alienate EVERYBODY.

Either that, or he's a LARPer.

OMG, a person who can read! :incline:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, I thought you had proof they don't intend to let you customize your PC's actual avatars in the world.

Since when is "true portrait customization" a desired oldschool feature and why the fuck are you even mentioning it as a superior option? (even if you do think not having it is "fine")

In any case, your premise is flawed, because there simply isn't any "super-duper hype" here. They're just advertising the return of a quaint feature from the Infinity Engine games, what's wrong with that?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Since when is "true portrait customization" a desired oldschool feature and why the fuck are you even mentioning it as a superior option? (even if you do think not having it is "fine")

Seriously. Lrn2read.
Nobody said it was a desired oldschool feature. He just said that importing portraits is simply a poor man's version of that. I don't really agree, though, because I don't know of any game where in-game customization (and for the reading challenged among us, by customization I mean actually editing a face like in Betharda's games, not just selecting another portrait from a list) had any other results besides fugly mutants.
But yeah... his point is that it's a very unimportant feature that is touted to be more than it is.

They're just advertising the return of a quaint feature from the Infinity Engine games, what's wrong with that?

From the vision document:
Even simple RPG elements such as the ability to write your own character’s bio (frequently lost in the console generation), importing your own portraits of your characters that you like better than what a developer gives you,

What's "wrong" is they're saying those are RPG features. They're not. Writing the biography... seriously. Who the fuck ever did that? In a single-player game on top of that? :retarded:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They are features that used to be common in RPGs, hence they are RPG features. :smug:

Anyway, they admit that those elements are "simple" - again, that's not hype, that's not touting.

majestik12

Arcane
I don't really agree, though, because I don't know of any game where in-game customization (and for the reading challenged among us, by customization I mean actually editing a face like in Betharda's games, not just selecting another portrait from a list) had any other results besides fugly mutants.
One needs a certain degree of artistic skill and mastery of the tools to make a decent face in a facegen-like editor. Most players don't, which leads to the abundance of fugly mutants. On the other hand, there are more fool-proof systems that replace sliders with pre-generated face parts that can be combined. This approach leads to far greater percentage of fine looking portraits. By the way, there's a sprite version of such a system in Battlespire which works great.

The problem with "import your shit" system is that it requires a far higher level of artistic skill than even facegen. If you are not a professional artist who cares enough to draw his own character, the feature is only good for importing your momma's photo and other people's art. Also, the portraits must not only be good on their own, they also must be relevant to the art style of the game. With ingame generators this problem is solved automatically. With "import your shit" it raises another barrier. No matter how much you fap to Luis Royo art, it won't fit into Arcanum or Icewind Dale or Wasteland 2. Neither IE nor ToEE communities have managed to create a decent pack of original portraits in the last decade. They are still stuck with cross-porting stock portraits between games and fugly/irrelevant shit that is worse than having no portraits at all.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I don't know about you guys, but i look forward to importing pictures of my cock and my wife's tits. I mean, it is called a party after all. My party is going to be a swinger party.

Johannes

Arcane
I was browsing the document, one thing that caught my attention is that you can import your mommas pic to use as a portrait. Cool.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Box art? Where?
I believe it was this one.

wasteland2boxart.jpg

DSW

Novice
Not sure about writing.

It sucks already. They reintroduced old shit (altruistic motivation to help "undeveloped" communities to survive by the price of their own lives):
Because they had such success in constructing a new community, they felt compelled to help other survivors rebuild and live in peace.
And added new one, an explanation of satellites falling. Will wait for quest writings to compare with rotted titles.

UnknownBro

Savant
This is going to be the best RPG since 2001. There is no way that's not happening.
They have the money, the crew, the experience and the motivation to do so. Cannot wait...
:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom