Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Wasteland 2 RPG Codex Interview - Part 2: Michael A. Stackpole

Johannes

Arcane
Only in a 1st person or close-up 3rd person it can prove difficult to grasp your bearings.
I can remember getting lost and confused in various older FPS titles, but that problem had more to do with repetitive texture-schemes and intersecting corridor map design than any inherent difficulty in navigating from a first person perspective (after all, I've been doing it all my life). In an open-world game, no matter the viewpoint, getting lost is quite impossible because wherever you go, well, there you are. Characters are still piss-easy to find; yes, you have more of an overview top down, but you can't see as far as you might in an fps, so that balances out. Actually, I don't see how first person or 3rd person can be more difficult to navigate -- if anything your brain needs to do less abstract thinking to make the jump.
Nah, top down is definitely easier to navigate. Just think of oldschool FP dungeon crawlers vs topdown dungeon crawlers. Mostly with FP camera you need to keep track of your orientation, while topdown it's automatic. And unless the map turns completely black in areas out of your LOS, it's much simpler to backtrack anywhere in topdown. Those intersecting corridors won't confuse you when you constantly see where they go.
With FP (both game or real life actually) you've got to consult a map occasionally to find your way, and then you have to translate that map into how to work your way FP. With topdown looking at a map is basically just zooming out, without having a different mode for travelling.

So in that light, I don't think quest compass is really needed in a topdown game, even by the people who swear by it in an FPS.

hiver

I'm pretty sure when an engine is made nobody thinks about how I might feel about it, but y'know, once it's made I do feel about it one way or the other. How about this: if we're feeling emotional about things right now, does that mean the universe was designed based on our eventual emotions about it?
Do you mean a car engine or a game engine? Anyway, same answer.
You say yourself that you will "feel" about it. In terms of satisfaction or dissatisfaction with its performance, for example i believe?

- We dont know enough about universe or its creation to construct any kind of meaningful answer, at this point. So its an invalid example.

Your emotional depth is relevant since youre making these assumptions based on it.
:?
But of course. Not to say its the only thing, but it comes into equation.
Unless youre a terminator.

True about what AAA mass market games offer and strive for. Of course. They are designed for masses of morons after all.
But that doesnt mean that finer games do not stroke the strings of other, more refined, deeper and "smarter", more demanding "emotions".
How about an example.
Please... you gave examples yourself, although not directly from some games when you said:
"The games that don't try to emotionally engage their players, but rather construct interesting, open-ended scenarios and make people think about them as part of the interaction, are quite capable of awakening deeper, though more varied, emotions in the people that play them."

Lets say you make a game like that.
Isnt it true that you would be a game designed to engage players emotions? Or, according to your starting position, designed to avoid engaging emotions at all?
(of course it wouldnt be bloody designed only to do that but thats not the issue here so stick to the point dammit!)

Lets talk Fallout, 1 and 2.
Ive never felt so much pleasure and momentary and general long lasting satisfaction in playing a game again.
Sure, some came close but none of them did all those things so thoroughly and at once like Fallout did.

I enjoyed everything about it. From dialogues and story to how quests were set up to how i would eventually solve them to combat to visuals.
I shouted "nooooooo!" when Sulik moved right behind me or other ally with an smg. I shouted "Yess! Yes, baby!" when Myron would score a crit.
I felt satisfied and smug when i would execute an attack appropriately.
I cursed heavens when i realized i didnt save for a long long time and i would get afraid when i would then run into a powerful gang.
Or thank heavens if it turned out they were fighting another gang.
I cursed heavens multiple times in Glow, naturally, but ended feeling very satisfied with the whole experience and feeling very smug about it.
I felt sadness and pity for the the Master.
I enjoyed discovering locations and unearthing secrets in them. Enjoyed the stories or plots they presented, not just as progressions through something but enjoyed their themes and what they taught me in the end.
Enjoyed playing against factions or for them.
And so on, and so on...

It was all very satisfying.

Planescape Torment.
Didnt we all enjoy the Nameless One story? His journey to it, through it, the knowledge we gained?
Characters dialogues, allies and their stories, their secrets? Did we not laugh and even cry? Felt sadness, pity, excitement of adventure and old secrets of lifetimes upon lifetimes unfolding until our eyes grew big in wonder of it all?
Didnt we enjoy the pure power? Didnt we revel in it as most powerful of magics became ours to wield or a physical proves of a smaller god came back cursing through old blackened veins?

etc. etc.

Also true.
Then what's your problem?
Mostly that you mistake some extreme basic emotions for all emotions and assumption that i defend what the guy in interview said and what it implies or modern mass market games take on emotional engagement.

Is that a game?
You're saying it isn't?
:hmmm:

Pointless to this discussion.
Sure, but this discussion is pointless. I think you're just having trouble understanding what's being said here.
No, but you are having trouble understanding what exactly "emotions" encapsulate in their entirety, or what they are, thinking they are "feelings" then reducing it to just the most extreme and obvious ones, which you deem fit only for females, which makes you feel superior etc. etc.

hah... does this make you feel more manly?
I don't feel manly. I rationally deduce that I am. :M
[/QUOTE]
I asked does making such statements make you feel manly. Not how you feel or think about it otherwise.
;)

Shannow

Waster of Time
They revealed the Kickstarter tiers: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=114

As I hinted here and there, the $50 box is cool, the $100 CE very cool, especially with the novellas.

$15 is a very low entry level. Wish they'd have made the $30 more attractive. Digital copy being Steam-only is different from the proposal I saw. A little disappointing.
Dosn't say if the boxed edition requires Steam...:(

While I haven't bothered reading the last few discussion pieces on "emotional engagement", up to where I have read, most people didn't understand the issue:
Name a single game that was marketed with the the buzzwords "emotionally engaging", that
a) was good as a game.
b) had a good story.
c) didn't come along with ridiculously hamfisted attempts at emotioneeringl (My daddy leaves me! Whaaaahaaaa! Have you seen my father? Middle aged man?/ They killed my mommy, but before she died, she told me that she was very proud of me. I hope he ghost smiles down on me while I let Zevran sodomize my ass. *insert comment on DA2's shitty family subplots that were so boring that I can't even remember them* I hope their ghosts smile down on me while I let Fenris sodomize my ass./ So my foster father had a strained relationship to me because I had a sword up my ass and that prevented him from putting his dick there. Now my mother's ghost can't smile down on me while he sodomizes my ass :( / *insert MEh's emotioneering that was also so boring that I don't remember any*)

hiver

HAHAHAHAHAH!

AAAaaaaaaaa hahaha.... whoooeee.

-edit-
well ok, its obvious you really, really dont understand what emotion is at all. Toxic does to some extent but youre just completely clueless.
ill just leave that as it may be. either you will learn one day by yourself, or you wont.

i wasnt talking just about endgame there, dont separate my sentences like that.
carry on.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems that Knotalt has a different definition of what 'emotionally engaging' means. For him it's an extremely specific thing that Bioware tries to do. That is a part of it of course, but there's so much more to it. I was 'emotionally engaged' in Outcast for example, leaving the world with a real pang of sadness and regret and yet there wasn't a dialogue wheel or gay romance in sight.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm trying not to get emotionally engaged by this thread but the rage is creeping up on me. Since when is it a bad thing if games provoke/extract emotions ? Never mind how something is marketed, what impact does that have, apart from a impact on sub forum rules and names ?

Do you want Wasteland 2 to be a banal shit boring experience ? Wasteland 1 was never a Mondblutian (one might say, emotionless combat) game, like say KotC. It had humour and interesting quests, some memorable characters. If that can be reproduced, then great. If they market it as a modern cRPG with emotional engagement, then good for them, why would that prevent a good game being made ? (I'm not saying it is good already, time will tell)

What is this about "right" choices and this or that ending ? IF you want to play that way then great, if you want to play in-character then great, different styles for different people. If the game provides you with enough choices to actually matter what you do.

hiver

yu so smart! me no talkie talkie englesh... big sorry. i only know say go suckie suckie goat dicky stupid. great fortune yes? make many happy.

Shannow

Waster of Time
People understand that just fine. But Wasteland 2 isn't being marketed as emotionally engaging. It wasn't even used as a buzzword in the interview.
The dog puzzle, if you will, engaged players on an emotional level. That's not something that happens when you're killing ten orcs to get a key to unlock a chest which contains a scroll which will let you find a treasure which is the sword that lets you kill a monster. Why designers haven't stepped up to engage players emotionally is beyond me; though it may have to do with the difference between making puzzles and creating stories. Ultimately, creating stories is what we did with Wasteland, and what we'll do with the new Wasteland.
:hmmm:

So thinking that Wasteland 2 will now be bad as a game and include all that because one person involved with the project used the term 'engaging the emotions' to answer one question in an interview is a bit extreme.
That fails on two points:
1. What am I supposed to base my expectations on if not on what the devs say? I'm not like you that I can simply ignore bad sounding stuff and pretend it's not important/ wasn't meant the way it was said and cherry pick the good stuff. You don't run around saying, "Well, Fargo's just one of the guys involved. He may have mentioned that W2 was supposed to be TB, but that was just in reply to some inconsequential question. It's going to be a real time FPS, promise."
2. Where have I stated that W2 "will! now! be! bad!"? All I've commented on was that I don't like the way their marketing/priorities seem to go and that thus my interest has flagged, and that they should focus on improving W1's core-features instead of throwing Bioware-buzzwords around and adopting bad modern features.

And I'm still waiting on that list of good games that were marketed as "emotionally engaging". :M

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
The dog puzzle, if you will, engaged players on an emotional level. That's not something that happens when you're killing ten orcs to get a key to unlock a chest which contains a scroll which will let you find a treasure which is the sword that lets you kill a monster

If done right, killing those orcs and finding that scroll will engage players on an emotional level.

And yeah, it definitely sounds like he doesn't want puzzles in the game.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Why are you, guys still arguing about it? Was any of you heartbroken when killing the dog?

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Google has made puzzles obsolete
Your statement only makes sense if "puzzles" referred to something put in the game just to annoy or bore the player. Following that line of logic, I guess YouTube has made gameplay obsolete since you can just watch the cutscenes.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And yeah, it definitely sounds like he doesn't want puzzles in the game.

Google has made puzzles obsolete; sad but true.

You repeat this bullshit for the second time already, but I've yet to see you substantiate it in any way. People also refer to google for walkthroughs and FAQs; does that mean google has made all but reflex-based and roguelike games obsolete??

thesisko

Emissary
You repeat this bullshit for the second time already, but I've yet to see you substantiate it in any way. People also refer to google for walkthroughs and FAQs; does that mean google has made all but reflex-based and roguelike games obsolete??
If anything, easy access to walkthroughs should make the game designers focus more on creating enjoyable puzzle rather than trial-and-error "puzzles" created solely to pad out the game. The only reason someone who actually enjoys solving puzzles would consult a walkthrough is if it's illogical/unfair/tedious and shouldn't have been in the game in the first place.

Easy access to walkthroughs probably increases the appeal of an RPG with puzzles since those who don't like 'em can just skip 'em.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If anything, easy access to walkthroughs should make the game designers focus more on creating enjoyable puzzle rather than trial-and-error "puzzles" created solely to pad out the game. The only reason someone who actually enjoys solving puzzles would consult a walkthrough is if it's illogical/unfair/tedious and shouldn't have been in the game in the first place.

Well, personally I'm a HUGE fan of "unfair" sadistic kinds of puzzles (that in effect turn out to be fair and logical after you've figured them out, but not on first glance); they're what made such titles as Wiz4/5 and Dark Heart of Uukrul stand out, and one of the main reasons those games are among my personal top10 CRPGs of all time. Therefore, ideally, I'd like to see ALL kinds of puzzles make a return to CRPGs -- maybe harder puzzles could be made optional, or some such. That said, I certainly understand where you're coming from. My main problem with what you say is that "enjoyable puzzles" is a very vague thing and may lead to "puzzles that your grandma (or any 'casual' gamer) can solve without breaking a sweat", which makes the whole puzzle affair meaningless in the first place.

Still, even easier puzzles are better than no puzzles, that much is certain. Plus, discussing what a "good puzzle" is would require a lengthy thread derail, so let's not go there. :P

thesisko

Emissary
Well, personally I'm a HUGE fan of "unfair" sadistic kinds of puzzles (that in effect turn out to be fair and logical after you've figured them out, but not on first glance); they're what made such titles as Wiz4/5 and Dark Heart of Uukrul stand out, and one of the main reasons those games are among my personal top10 CRPGs of all time. Therefore, ideally, I'd like to see ALL kinds of puzzles make a return to CRPGs -- maybe harder puzzles could be made optional, or some such. That said, I certainly understand where you're coming from. My main problem with what you say is that "enjoyable puzzles" is a very vague thing and may lead to "puzzles that your grandma (or any 'casual' gamer) can solve without breaking a sweat", which makes the whole puzzle affair meaningless in the first place.
I see where you're coming from, but I didn't mean to imply that the puzzles should be "easy" in the sense that they would require no reasoning or investigation. I simply meant that there should be enough information provided so that there's a logical path of investigation and not just blind trial-and-error all across a huge map. Proper feedback and perhaps small hints when trying alternate, "wrong" but logical solutions for instance. Of course, even such hints could be made optional if you are truly masochistic :P

Johannes

Arcane
When people can consult a walkthrough, it makes it possible to include tough puzzles if anything. If someone doesn't like solving them, just look up the solution and they can proceed to the content they like instead of being stumped and quitting.

And it's not like it's anything new - I remember gaming mags featuring walkthroughs in 90's too.

Though personally I think the most rewarding puzzles are things you are actually optional and easy to miss - stuff that isn't a must to solve in order to proceed at all on the main quest, where you're really stuck until you figure it out. But if it's optional, I feel all witty and clever when noticing and solving it instead of just doing something everyone has to do. And I have the option to just ignore it, if I don't figure it out fast enough for my liking.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Definitely agree. Really satisfying to go back to a puzzle you were stuck on because the solution hit you while you were in the shower, in bed, at the grocery store or at work or watching TV or whatever it is you do.

And if you get stuck-stuck there's always the helpline. Or you could always duckduckgogo the solution.

Temaperacl

Erudite
Why are you, guys still arguing about it? Was any of you heartbroken when killing the dog?
Not heartbroken, but I've felt bad about killing Rex before, or avoided heading down there so I wouldn't kill him (the idea of JACKIE being ripped apart or starving down there never really bothered me) depending on my mood - other times I've gone down into the cave and gunned him down without a second thought.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Meanwhile back in 95:

Fargo : *storms into Interplay lunch room* Hay guise dis game just isn't emotionally engaging enough. Ramp that shit up. We want players to be engaged emotionally because that's what games are all about.
Cain: Wh.. What do you mean, like? We've got graphics, likeable characters, plausible world with lots of backstory, a bunch of various interesting scenarios and concepts and multiple ways for players to approach them. Y'know, like, rich gameplay that makes players feel involved in the story and the universe...
Fargo: Y.. Yeah look that's great right, but games are about emotional engagement. I just don't see you focusing on that for Fallout, y'know, I don't think you get it.
Cain: Well, I mean, sure games are emotionally engaging if they're good, but the reverse isn't necessarily true and it's not like you can focus specifically on being emotionally engaging and still have a game at the end. That's better saved for the theater, right?
Fargo: *pretends to be bad at english* yu so smart! me no talkie talkie englesh... big sorry. i only know say go suckie suckie goat dicky stupid. great fortune yes? make many happy.

Epilogue: Little did he know that soon his prestigious position would be outsourced to someone who actually spoke like that for reals.

album_pic5.jpg

likaq

Arcane
Remember Allen "Delsyn" Rausch ?

When it comes to Fallout fans, ignorance, stupidity and arrogance is bad combination, because this is a community that has all of those. Since I've already opened the door there, they're loathsome human beings, who I hope really get a horrible disease and die.

I can be rude too!

I hope that herve really get a horrible disease and die !

St. Toxic

Arcane
Say what you will about Herve, but he's def. emotionally engaging. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom