Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Wasteland 2 to use Unity

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Zed, May 12, 2012.

1. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment

There was some speculation as to what engine inXile would choose for Wasteland 2. Brian Fargo was previously offered a free engine license for Unigine, which sounded like a pretty good candidate. But, it would seem inXile turned down that offer, as they're now hiring programmers with Unity experience.

If you have a passion for post-apocalytic goodness, experience working with Unity and amazing programming skills, please send your resume to jobs[at]inxile.net. We thought we’d put this out on our blog and forums first, before opening up the search further. Feel free to spread the word if you know of the perfect person.

We are looking for experienced engineers and engineering interns.​

I can't recall ever playing a Unity game, but there sure are a lot of them.

Spotted over at NMA.

Update - Brian Fargo confirms with an official announcement on Twitter:

I can officially announce that we've chosen the Unity engine for Wasteland 2. It meets all the criteria we need. First screens looking good.​

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Oh god...

^ Top  
  3. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    Looks like a very popular casual game engine. :smug:

^ Top  
  4. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    The only game I have heard of on that list (not played though) is AAaaaAAaAAAaaAA or however that thing is spelled

^ Top  
  5. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Well, apparently Unity is really easy to use and has great support plus there are a lot of libraries for it. I don't see what's wrong with it.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Cool. Unity is a powerful and very well-supported engine, and extremely capable of just about any type of game, so I'm sure it'll work great for them... not to mention it'll make mutli-platform versions that much easier, too. iPad incoming? :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Do they have to pay a lot for it?

^ Top  
  8. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    ^ Top  
  9. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    I had no idea what games had used Unity so I figured I'd include that list. I'm pretty cool that way.

I only found one desktop (I assume they mean non-browser based Windows) RPG game - http://www.rimelands.com/
    "A dice-based steampunk roleplaying game" running a failing indiegogo* fundraiser: http://www.indiegogo.com/rimelands
    Oh, there's a demo.

* not using a "flexible funding" campaign, so kudos to them.

^ Top  
  10. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    biggest names on there:

AAAaAAAaa
    Desktop Dungeons
    Rochard
    Unstoppable Gorg

Lots and lots of D-list indies. Sure bets are that Unity is cheap and can be made to look pretty. Don't know about potential downsides, I haven't heard any horror stories about these four games though engine wise.

but of course we would all love for this to be on the prestigious unreal engine IV

http://dungeonempires.gamigo.com/en/gallery/

^ Top  
  11. joeydohn Savant

joeydohn
    The Graveyard by Tale of Tales of The Path 'fame' is on there.

^ Top  
  12. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Are you shitting me? This is the Codex. It is imperative we maintain rabidly negative and irrationally harsh opinions of things before said things exist!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. joeydohn Savant

joeydohn
    It's not really a game but it is on there.

^ Top  
  15. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    http://nightmaremode.net/2011/08/tale-of-tales-interview-9730/

belgium y u do dis

^ Top  
  16. joeydohn Savant

joeydohn
    I did notice they are very pretentious when reading interviews and such but I like The Path in the same way I like classical music. I've only played/heard a little of it. What a great comparison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game

^ Top  
  17. Black Arcane

Black
    Well, at least the name is appropriate since it's Fallout successor.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. crojipjip Developer Übermensch

crojipjip
    I will apply on Monday. Going to write up my resume asap. But should I be a coder or artist?

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  19. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    I understand that codex WILL hate because, after all, it's the codex, but unity is quite a nice engine, especially for a turn-based game - I can tell you, I'm a member of a team that uses it. Now, I'm not a coder so I can't tell much about potential downfalls, but they're really short and using unity saves a lot of development time, so I personally approve their choice to use this engine. Oh, and it's relatively inexpensive - it's 1.5k $$$ per user and since they'll have what, 30 users tops, it won't set them back as much as other engines round the block.

^ Top  
  20. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    A flexible engine that can be what the developer makes of it. A good choice, IMO. When I read this topic title I thought they had gone with Unigine and that would have been fucked up for sure.

^ Top  
  21. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Yeah but Unity doesn't have the street cred for AAA titles. It has the cred of little stupid online web-plugin games with poor mechanics and semi-dodgy graphics. It's only recently that more "decent" looking stuff has come out, like Battlestar Galactica Online.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. OuterSpace Scholar

OuterSpace
    Unity's biggest strength is its asset pipeline. Its really easy to create models or textures and get them into the game quickly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. hiver Guest

hiver
    ^ Top  
  24. hiver Guest

hiver
    ^ Top