Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 to use Unity

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I don't understand why they turned down Unigine, which was offered freely.

You would think resource management would play a crucial factor for a game with a relatively small budget.

Besides, I think that appealing to the whole Indie scene is to demonstrate what you can do with something offered for as little as possible.

Having said that, the Unity engine does look pretty flexible, so let's see what they can do with it.

Angthoron

Arcane
I don't understand why they turned down Unigine, which was offered freely.

You would think resource management would play a crucial factor for a game with a relatively small budget.

Besides, I think that appealing to the whole Indie scene is to demonstrate what you can do with something offered for as little as possible.

Having said that, the Unity engine does look pretty flexible, so let's see what they can do with it.
If the plan was to hire programmers to work on the engine from the start, Unity has a bigger pool of programmers to choose from than Unigine as it's an older and well-documented engine. Furthermore, getting a free engine could mean lower support priority and being forced to overlook problems because hey, you got it free. That, and the engine could've been offered free but support and service might cost a lot, and for a new-ish engine, those would undoubtedly be used a lot. And then there are engine limitations.

Finally, sometimes you just can't afford being stingy because it'll come back and bite you in the ass.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unity being chosen for a lot of small indie and casual games is because of the engine being easy to use and cheap for small teams, not because of any limited capabilities.
I made some engine evaluations at work as we were looking for alternatives and Unity turned out to be the best. Capable of pretty much anything, easy to code for (C# yay!) and support for custom made C++ libraries. And the performance is pretty good.

Maybe all of this is also offered by other engines, but not for that price and not with such a large community.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The biggest problem i see with with Unity is it doesn't run on Linux yet and inXile clearly promised a Linux port among other things. Also since most of these other games are really simple, available scripting complexity could become a real problem. Still, i'd imagine the level of support Unity staff would be willing to give inXile would be huge. They need a big successful posterchild to sell their engine as much as inXile needs a robust engine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Inb4 a year and a half of pessimism, disparagement and trolling from Drocon (and/or his alt of the month)

alx3apps

Educated
Humanity has risen! , Unity guys are working on Google Native Client support (it runs on linux in chrome), if they'll finish it, then W2 will run almost everywhere.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Recently RPGCodex is a lot about engine whining. In some cases it's justified ( AOD/DS ), in others it's not.

Not only DIY shovelware games are made with Unity, though I am a bit surprised about the decision (rumor?) too. But it's indication that they are serious with 18 month development time - Unity will help them get finished faster.

Don't listen to Drocon, he seems to be on a mission to condemn anything that isn't made with the C4 Engine. Don't know where this engine fanboyism is coming from. Perhaps people think engines are everything, like every game made with an engine is like a fucking mod for Unreal.

Why are games in corridors? Why are there few enemies onscreen? Why is HUD getting tinier with every game? Why is AI scripted? Why hitscan? Why health regen? Why do guys run so slow in most games now?

If you're into fps you should really give Tribes:Ascend a go

Off topic, yes i know

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
:decline:because Unity's Linux support is tentative at best and I wouldn't bet that the Unity devs will start working on bringing Linux support to maturity just because Brian Fargo promised Linux support for Wasteland 2. When will devs learn that using Wine to play games on Linux doesn't mean their game has Linux support!? I also do not give a flying fuck about Google Native Client support because I don't want to play my games in a fucking browser!
:x:mob:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
denizsi/villain of the story loves unity so this is wonderful news for that particular poster. I'm relieved it's not UE3 and Josh Sawyer likes Battleheart so I won't be pessimistic here.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
because I don't want to play my games in a fucking browser!

Get a non-whining-stuck-up-faggot OS and stop being a whining stuck up faggot. Nobody cares you can't play games on Shitnux.

EG

Nullified
because I don't want to play my games in a fucking browser!

Get a non-whining-stuck-up-faggot OS and stop being a whining stuck up faggot. Nobody cares you can't play games on Shitnux.

He's right, you know. None of us believe you're running a server . . . :smug:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I honestly thought we might actually make it to an actual screenshot before the butthurt came in. Oh well.

But should I be a coder or artist?

Definitely artist. P.S. I made you a new avatar if you want, Prosper:

crojipjip.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I honestly thought we might actually make it to an actual screenshot before the butthurt came in. Oh well.

Well, if Drocon really has any idea what he's talking about (who knows, he might actually have) then a screenshot wouldn't help that much.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
But at least it would be something beyond a vague understanding of a notion. People could complain about pixels, colors, sprites and all sorts of fun things!

TripJack

Hedonist
Best Unity games that I'm aware of are Arcen's, which don't appear to be listed? :retarded:

The biggest problem i see with with Unity is it doesn't run on Linux yet and inXile clearly promised a Linux port
this
Unity guys are working on Google Native Client support (it runs on linux in chrome), if they'll finish it, then W2 will run almost everywhere.
running it through some shit google software is the solution? :lol: no thanks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom