Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ivan

Arcane
Wasteland 2, particularly the LA section was great. Fingers crossed for this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://cogconnected.com/feature/wasteland-3-interview-with-jeremy-kopman/

TALKING LEVEL DESIGN AND MORE ON WASTELAND 3, AN INTERVIEW WITH INXILE’S JEREMY KOPMAN

Late last month, COGconnected was provided the opportunity to go hands on with Wasteland 3. As noted in our preview, we found that “Wasteland 3 looks to take everything players liked from Wasteland 2, and just make it better.” We also had a chance to speak with Lead Level Designer, Jeremy Kopman who took us through the demo. Subsequently, we were able to ask Jeremy a number of questions pertaining to inXile Entertainment and Wasteland 3.

COGconnected: We are here with Jeremy Kopman, Lead Level Designer on Wasteland 3. Jeremy, for those that may not know, Jeremy, could you give a brief rundown on what your role entails for Wasteland 3?

Jeremy Kopman: As Lead Level Designer, I’m responsible for coordinating and directing the other level designers. Early in the project that means prototyping level and gameplay content (e.g.: exactly how do we set up a locked door – a much more complicated problem than you might expect), setting standards for how we build and implement our levels, and working with our narrative design team to make sure that dialog writing and mission design work well with our plans for layouts and gameplay. Now that we’re deep in production, I spend most of my time working with the level designers to iterate and polish the levels we’ve built.

There has been a bit of a resurgence of CRPGs, or isometric turn-based, RPGs in recent memory, with Wasteland 2 being one of the first in the latest wave. Was there something that inXile saw in the genre that lead to the Wasteland franchise being revived?

I think Brian recognized that there was a hunger for this type of game a few years ago. There hadn’t really been any entrants in the genre for several years, but the fan base was still out there. More importantly, though, this is just the kind of game that Brian and the team at InXile are passionate about. We love RPGs and that’s where we want to live.

As for your role in particular, is there something about RPGs of this nature that makes level designing more interesting? Is there anything about it that is limiting?

Wasteland games, and most CRPGs in general, live and die on the strength of their narrative choice and consequence. Since the level designers are responsible for scripting all of the variables and conditions that allow that reactivity to exist, tracking and implementing those elements takes up most of our days. For the right type of brain, that kind of complex logic and problems solving is super fun – though it can also be maddening when you have a particularly pernicious bug.

Wasteland-3-top-700x394.jpg

Wasteland, relative to other games in the genre, takes place in a unique setting. What sort of cues can you take from other games that are generally Fantasy oriented, and what do you find is easier or harder to do in the context of Wasteland 3?

The relatively grounded post-apocalyptic setting of Wasteland lets us use modern tech like guns, rocket launchers, and vehicles. In addition, the cobbled tech invented by the post-apoc survivors and the energy weapons and crazier inventions hidden in pre-war secret laboratories lets us heighten things more. That selection of equipment has a big impact on how we design our combat systems, putting the focus on tactical positioning and cover in a way that might not work as well with a swords-and-spells system.

Narratively, the world of Wasteland is much darker – and grimly funnier – than your average fantasy setting, so the characters and missions spring from the conflicts that naturally arise at the end of the world.

We know that the acquisition of the company by Xbox game studios is huge and allows for some more freedom to do what you want. How has the development process changed since the time of the acquisition, whether from an overall or level designing point of view?

The biggest impact has been increased time. The additional time we could afford after the acquisition has let us polish the game’s systems and add features like full VO that really bring the game to life.

The genre that Wasteland operates in is somewhat niche, but there is definitely a hardcore audience. In development, is there any emphasis on making the game more appealing to the mainstream audience?

We’re absolutely committed to keeping the same depth in both the game’s systems and story as we had in Wasteland 2, so hardcore players will feel right at home. With all of the skills, perks, and quirks we’re planning, there will be lots of toys to play with. At the same time, we’re working hard on how we introduce and scaffold in the game’s mechanics so new players can grok things quickly and organically.

For our last portion here, Jeremy, is there anything you would like to share with Wasteland 3 fans? Something we didn’t get to touch on, or something you feel needs to be known about the game?

I just want to say that we’re really excited to get the full game into folks’ hands next year. The demo we just released to our alpha backers is just an amuse-bouche for the whole experience. There’s so much more cool stuff coming.

wasteland-3-feature-700x409.jpg

Releasing in early 2020, Wasteland 3 is just around the corner.

Last edited:

Neerasrc

Learned
We’re absolutely committed to keeping the same depth in both the game’s systems and story as we had in Wasteland 2, so hardcore players will feel right at home. With all of the skills, perks, and quirks we’re planning, there will be lots of toys to play with. At the same time, we’re working hard on how we introduce and scaffold in the game’s mechanics so new players can grok things quickly and organically.

I took note of that. I'll remind them why the weight system isn't.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1046

Factoring Feedback
POSTED: 10/22/2019

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F21%2F764b0254-6c6d-456c-8877-da7ae82dc7db

It’s been a couple of months since we released the backer Alpha, and while game development continues, we’ve been incorporating bug reports and feedback. While most of the results are being kept in-house so we can work on them, determine best steps forward, etc. we have a few fun highlights to share with you further down this update.

Alongside the Alpha, Wasteland 3 was at gamescom, where we debuted a new trailer, had hands-on with the game both behind closed doors with press and in the Deep Silver and Xbox booths, and were ecstatic to have been awarded “Best RPG” at the show.

If you missed it, here’s the trailer we revealed, and if you have seen it, it’s worth watching again.

X019
We’re happy to announce that we will be attending X019! Tickets are still available to purchase. If you’re going, be sure to stop by and say hello, and of course don’t miss the Inside Xbox livestream at 12pm PDT on November 14 for plenty of Xbox Game Studios news and announcements.

More info on the X019 page here: https://www.xbox.com/x019

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F21%2F10a8b3ad-86d7-49a0-b965-a506b3a5d5d7

Look close and you may spot a familiar robotic arachnid.

Steel Horse
The Kodiak is your vehicle in Wasteland 3, and as you can customize and outfit your team of Rangers, so too can you upgrade and outfit your vehicle to get around Colorado. We think of the Kodiak as a full-fledged member of the team, and it’s a big part of your play experience. It gets you around the world map, but even more important are its capabilities in combat. Changing paint schemes and visual appearances is awesome (and will offer a ton of customization), but making it tougher and more formidable against your enemies will be what transforms it from a junker to a high-end war machine.

We’re going to give you a little sneak peek of some concepts for the turrets you can attach to the Kodiak in Wasteland 3—which is the most powerful weapon slot type you can equip. The Railgun you’ve likely already seen from the Alpha, but there are a few new ones below.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F21%2Fad333eb2-bb54-4197-a317-296bfe6a770f

It slices! It dices! And it launches spinning chainsaw blades too! What a value!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F21%2F19ca56ac-4d6d-4a27-89d9-23a73d418772

Rugged. Reliable. When you absolutely, positively need a job done right the first time. [Ad paid for by Findley-Tek]

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F21%2F72d83c71-8ec3-4d58-9c05-69417a91ef5d

A huge freeze gun that fires a beam of cold energy. You've seen freezer burn, but this is ridiculous!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F21%2F4b11a0df-43e8-4f1c-a11e-f8b1dddcfa30

This turret spits plasma bolts like your ratty old uncle spits tobacco. Smells just as bad too.
More from Cologne
There was also a ton of coverage from gamescom from Brian Fargo and Game Director Tim Campbell, as well as interviews from Lead Level Designer Jeremy Kopman who we sent out to San Francisco to get the game in front of US press sites.

Here’s just a small smattering of the coverage that came out of it:
And because the event was such a fun, successful time, a few more pictures before we close the book on gamescom 2019!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F21%2F7e3baba9-da0f-48ff-b59b-ed4d2a49323f

Like Where’s Waldo, see if you can spot inXile’s Micah Whipple waiting for a new build to install on the demo machines.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F21%2F1048867b-cb5e-4c86-a180-44bb2820428e

The Wasteland 3 demo at the Deep Silver booth proved a popular destination for gamescom attendees!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F21%2F0331d10b-2091-4289-879d-038b1c1ae83c

inXile’s Thomas Beekers with the crew from Cultic Games, who just last week released their Lovecraft-inspired RPG Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones! Good luck, guys!

With that, we’ll move onto some of the feedback data we received on the Alpha. For those of you looking to avoid spoilers, here’s your time to duck out.

Backer Alpha Feedback Survey
We sent a survey to Alpha backers allowing them to easily provide feedback on a number of topics from the demo. While the majority of them discuss specific areas where we are looking to improve the experience, we thought it'd be interesting to share a few of the broader ones.

Time spent between starting the Alpha and reaching the final confrontation in the level:
  • 77% reported playing for 1 hour or more before reaching Vic
  • 33% reported playing for around 30 – 60 minutes before reaching Vic
Note: When we began developing the Alpha we estimated the length to be around 20 minutes.

Did players find the hidden bunker?
  • 52% said they DID find it
  • 32% said they DID NOT find it
  • 16% said they weren’t sure/didn’t remember
Did Alpha players take the left path or the right path?
  • 57% said they took the left path
  • 33% said they took the right path
Note: The likelihood of finding the Bunker and experiencing the left path were also, not surprisingly, higher for those who reported a longer play time.

How did Alpha players resolve the showdown with Vic?
  • 41% chose to arrest Vic
  • 35% chose to recruit Vic
  • 12% had Vic kill himself
  • 9% shot Vic
Thanks for reading, and we’re looking forward to seeing you at X019!

Last edited:

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Don't act like you look radically different than an average white guy, and if you aren't white you're fat, these are just facts

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well... Admittedly when one plays a turn-based CRPG rarely does he look like he's enjoying something.
At least I don't. I probably look like I'm doing work with occasional outbursts of anger (because of some missed roll or sth)

soulburner

Cipher
Well... Admittedly when one plays a turn-based CRPG rarely does he look like he's enjoying something.
At least I don't. I probably look like I'm doing work with occasional outbursts of anger (because of some missed roll or sth)
This is why turn based games are great to play at office work. People think you're analyzing a serious problem, while you are just thinking about whether to use an aimed shot or not.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far so good ...
Let's hope the equipment power curve was fixed, the previous one was almost exponential.
I hated "tiered" equipment in Wasteland 2 as well. Shooting someone in the face with a normal Rifle does nothing, shooting them with a Rifle +1 kills their whole family. Once you move to a new area you have to wait for a character to find a new weapon before they can participate in combat. Garbage.

I doubt this will be "fixed" though as some people think this is how RPGs are supposed to work.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I was all "This isn't funny" until it got to the ending. Beekers salvaged the moment at the end there.

They're certainly taking advantage of all that Microsoft money when it comes to dialogue animations. Wasteland 3, the new Bloodlines.

Jinn

Arcane
Is...is Wasteland 3 actually going to be good? I want to believe, but it's just so hard to after T:ToN and Bards Tale 4.

Ever since the announcement I liked the idea of a post-apocalyptic setting in the winter of Colorado. I would be pleasantly surprised to see this brought to fruition.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
It's ineptile bros, they'll fuck it up one way or another. It's inevitable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom