Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
So many releases in august and september, I bet half of them will be delayed again. This has to be the worst fucking year to have a PC especially with this damn virus gang banging around.:negative:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Fucking bullshit..

Anyway, use the time to make the game GUD.

The beta was a bad sign imo, because of how muc hjstuff still seems WIP 2 months before release.

Wasteland 3 Hands-On: Better Than Fallout?

We go hands-on with inXile’s Post-Apocalyptic RPG.

I had just started taking my chosen two-person team on their apocalyptic adventure and lost six (non-playable) allies in the opening encounter to a large, quadrupedal behemoth that was packing some serious firepower. We managed to hold off the enemies and, thanks to an enormous cannon of our own, vaporise their heavy armour.

Continuing our mission to find the rest of our Ranger buddies, we came across a private being held hostage, a gun pointed at her head. Engaging in conversation with the marauder holding her hostage, a number of speech-checks came up, including one that was accessible to my team, “Nobody has to die, just leave.” – “What’s the worst that can happen?” I thought. Success! The marauder released my fellow Ranger, shouting back about how he was going to tell his friends we were coming. Meh, could be worse. After a quick chat with our new friend, we set off in pursuit of the marauder. As we enter the area where the rest of his cronies are holed up, we can see that they are holding other hostages. Great! Hero time again! Before we can even think about rescuing them, though, the marauder from earlier has told everybody we are on our way, so they decide to just shoot the rest of the hostages in the head right then and there… Well, shit.

After exacting a swift dose of justice, and eliminating a couple of stray enemies, we arrive at our soon-to-be new home in an abandoned military base. We meet a few new characters, are issued a load of primary objectives to get our base up and running, and are invited to explore the base before setting off on our quests.

During this exploration, we discover a prisoner held in a cell and strike up a conversation. He’s a jovial chap, and quite clearly, more than just a touch mad. It’s unclear how long he has been in there for, but he informs us he has been surviving by licking water from the walls that is dripping through a crack in the roof, and eating mushrooms that he has “self-fertilised”. He wants us to let him out, and though he seems harmless enough, I’m still acutely aware now that an apparently low-risk decision can have harsh consequences. There’s also some pretty convincing evidence from the corpse in the room that he’s not as harmless as he may appear, so I decide to play it safe, planning to revisit him later in my playthrough.

Wasteland 3 may be a tactical, turn-based combat game, but first and foremost it is an RPG. It has more in common with games like Fallout than its chosen genre would have you believe. Even within the confines of the demo, you are confronted with choices that have significant consequences. My earlier decisions when saving someone’s life caused many more to die, and it made me consider my choices much more carefully later in the game.

The characters you meet are varied and interesting, and they are reasonably well voice-acted. As such, I found myself becoming drawn into the story and quests way more than I expected to be. It’s definitely NSFW, with frequent ‘effing and jeffing, and some decidedly dark humour. It is, however, very funny. Your interactions with NPCs offer some great repartee. If you choose the sarcastic responses or those that give a bit of ‘tude, they will call you up on it, and in addition to some witty or comedically annoyed responses, it can also affect your relationship with their faction.

As someone new to the Wasteland series, I wasn’t expecting the level of depth, humour, deep character customisation and interaction that is usually only reserved for big-budget RPGs. I’ve played a lot of turn-based combat games over the years, but this is unlike any that I’ve played before. For the majority, they shoehorn the story in as a means of setting up the next encounter, but with Wasteland, the story is front and centre. That’s not to say that Wasteland 3 doesn’t have excellent combat, because it genuinely does.

I may not have played the first two games, but I can appreciate that the combat mechanics have clearly been very finely honed. In fact, this is where Wasteland really differentiates itself from the likes of Fallout. In Fallout, the stories, cast and locales are the hook, but I don’t think anyone could reasonably argue that it plays well as a first-person shooter. If it wasn’t for VATS, many fights would be a lopsided affair, resulting in your swift death at the hands of a lowly bloatfly as you struggle to actually hit the bloody things. In Wasteland 3, the turn-based mechanic really lends itself well to the RPG setup. You have time to assess, plan and execute your attacks, but it still has a tangible intensity to it. This pacing is helped along by AI enemies that make their moves swiftly. There are no tedious pauses as you wait for enemies to make their attack, and it helps maintain a great flow of action.

I found myself experimenting with loadouts and varying my team members (you can take four Rangers, and two additional characters you meet or that are mission-specific), and there are a whole load of options available to you that affect not just combat, but free-roaming abilities too. Having a variety of skill sets within your team allows you to do things like pick locks or hack computers, gaining access to areas you may not be able to reach or to bypass difficult combat situations by shutting down defences. The amount of choice available is exceptional, and it really feels like you are living your own story, your way.

The Wasteland 3 beta is quite short – only a few hours – but it took less than half of this to get me absolutely hooked. I’ve played through twice now, and I’m gearing up for a third try with custom created Rangers, as there are some areas I couldn’t enter because I lacked skills in certain areas, there are also more dialogue choices I want to try out, and I really want to release that poo-mushroom (shiitake?) eating prisoner just to see what happens.

I played the beta on Steam, and system requirements are very accessible for anyone restricted to lower-powered hardware. My Radeon RX560X equipped laptop ran Wasteland 3 with ease, with the majority of settings cranked up. It’s not a graphically intensive game, but it still captures the apocalyptic wasteland feel very well. As someone who is a sucker for a pretty pixel, I was surprised that I never found myself lamenting the lack of flashy effects and richly detailed textures – It’s all about the story and gameplay, and Wasteland 3 delivers this by the bucketload.

On the beta, you are restricted to mouse and keyboard controls, and they are very simple to use. There are keyboard shortcuts for accessing inventories, loadouts or switching characters, but the majority of it can be executed with a click of the mouse on the relevant icon. It’s a very streamlined system, but never feels restrictive. Controller support will be added, too, as Wasteland 3 is destined for release on consoles as well as PC. For anyone who enjoys big-screen gaming, the simplicity of the controls should translate very well to a controller, but we will have to wait for the full release to confirm this.

Even if you don’t normally play turn-based combat games, this game has amazing levels of tactical depth that the simplicity of the controls belies, yet remains very accessible for newcomers to the genre. If you are a fan of the dark humour and world-building of the Fallout games or The Outer Worlds, there’s a lot for you to enjoy, too, and I highly recommend you give it a try.

I can’t wait to continue my journey through the American Wastelands when the full-release hits storefronts.

https://totalgamingaddicts.com/wasteland-3-hands-on-better-than-fallout/

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 3 Hands-On: Better Than Fallout?
I can appreciate that the combat mechanics have clearly been very finely honed. In fact, this is where Wasteland really differentiates itself from the likes of Fallout. In Fallout, the stories, cast and locales are the hook, but I don’t think anyone could reasonably argue that it plays well as a first-person shooter.
Jesus fucking christ.

Wasteland 3 may be a tactical, turn-based combat game, but first and foremost it is an RPG. It has more in common with games like Fallout than its chosen genre would have you believe

In Fallout, the stories, cast and locales are the hook, but I don’t think anyone could reasonably argue that it plays well as a first-person shooter. If it wasn’t for VATS, many fights would be a lopsided affair, resulting in your swift death at the hands of a lowly bloatfly as you struggle to actually hit the bloody things

And then they ask us why we are angry.

Lemming42

Arcane
Haha, I haven't gotten properly angry about videogames in a long time, but that shit about "as a turn based game you might not expect it to have much in common with Fallout" really got me pissed. :lol: Congratulations, "TotalGamingAddicts", you fucking idiots.

Codex Year of the Donut
Co-owner and Editor in Chief of TGA, Gary has been playing since the '80s.
p4VJHkd.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Haha, I haven't gotten properly angry about videogames in a long time, but that shit about "as a turn based game you might not expect it to have much in common with Fallout" really got me pissed. :lol: Congratulations, "TotalGamingAddicts", you fucking idiots.

You'd think that's some masterful trolling, but then you look at how the site is called...

And they haven't even released an actual re-boot yet (just wait until the next game is called just Fallout) and still Todd is now the creator of Fallout and Fallout is a first-person game. Bethesda sure knows how to leave some serious skidmarks.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More previews & interviews:

https://segmentnext.com/2020/03/29/wasteland-3-preview/
https://www.savingcontent.com/2020/03/30/wasteland-3-preview/
https://gamingbolt.com/microsoft-ac...resources-and-more-time-wasteland-3-developer
https://gamingbolt.com/wasteland-3-...-dialogue-tools-from-obsidian-inxile-confirms
https://gamingbolt.com/wasteland-3s...mersion-and-delivers-greater-emotional-impact
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/wasteland-3-for-pc
https://onlysp.escapistmagazine.com/wasteland-3-interview-inxile-entertainment/

“We Want [Players] to Feel Cold” — An Interview With Wasteland 3 Developer inXile Entertainment

The Wasteland series has evolved significantly since the original release in 1988. The upcoming Wasteland 3 offers a whole new experience by throwing players into the snowscapes of Colorado and featuring a dialogue system created by the team at Obsidian Entertainment for The Outer Worlds whilst maintaining its original post-apocalyptic core design. inXile Entertainment studio head Brian Fargo has been at the helm for over 30 years. Fargo has woven his Dungeons & Dragons and Warhammer tactical gameplay experiences to create fresh new RTS game mechanics including spending “quite a bit of time on animating ‘gruesome’ deaths.”

In an interview with OnlySP, inXile Entertainment’s Brian Fargo spoke about becoming a Microsoft first-party studio, the evolution of the Wasteland series, and much more.

OnlySP: Why was it important for inXile to develop a new game in the Wasteland series, rather than an original title?

Fargo: Wasteland has always been near and dear to our hearts, and we were excited to build upon the success of Wasteland 2. Post-apocalypse is a fascinating genre and it allows us to get our dark humor and interesting NPCs rolled into its weird and brutal world. But we’re working on new IPs as well.

OnlySP: inXile Entertainment has built up a strong identity developing intense, innovative narrative-driven RPGs. Where the inspiration for the deep stories and tactical, strategic gameplay come from?

Fargo: Our love of tactical combat comes from our experiences with [Dungeons and Dragons] and tabletops like Warhammer, while the stories come from the thousands of books and movies we all collectively read and see. We are all heavily steeped in the storytelling from all mediums.

Screenshot_2020-03-25-Wasteland-3-%E2%80%93-Now-Available1.jpg

OnlySP: inXile has an impressive track record of crowdfunding several games including Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, and The Bard’s Tale IV while also engaging closely with its backers. How important is crowdfunding as a development strategy for your studio? Will all future titles also be crowdfunded?

Fargo: Crowdfunding was critical for us. I don’t think we would have ultimately found the success that we did if it wasn’t for technology allowing fans to fund us directly for the kinds of games they wanted to play. Microsoft has been extremely supportive in allowing us to work on and make the kinds of games we want to make, and fortunately, that leaves us in a position where we don’t need to use the crowdfunding model any longer.

OnlySP: With the global pandemic of COVID-19 sparking mass panic buying and severe financial retractions similar to an archetypal apocalyptic story, is it surreal to develop and release a post-apocalyptic game when these events are happening in the real world?

The timing of the game does feel a bit surreal but fortunately, we are offering an escape from the real world. The good news is that people pull together more often than going to a dark side—we are wired for social strength.

Screenshot_2020-03-25-Wasteland-3-%E2%80%93-Now-Available2.jpg

OnlySP: Wasteland 3‘s beta is due to release next week for some who backed the project on Fig. As Wasteland 3 is due to release in May, do you anticipate that the beta responses may change the game’s content or to fine-tune existing content?

Absolutely. We’re going to be very focused on feedback, as we were with the Alpha, to see what players think, how they’re playing, and adjust as necessary. Feedback and iteration are critical for us as developers.

OnlySP: Wasteland 3 boasts a revamped, intricate dialogue system influenced by Torment: Tides of Numenera whereby the dialogue options can react to the player’s choices and open up branches depending on skills that players have invested in. How does this system add to the replay value, and will the different narrative branches lead to multiple endings?

It’s a pretty critical component to the storytelling in this game. We have a much tighter and intersecting narrative than we would have been able to have before, and that’s thanks to the Obsidian guys and the dialogue tool they developed that we’re using for Wasteland 3. If you played The Outer Worlds then you’ll have seen how well it works.

Screenshot_2020-03-25-Wasteland-3-%E2%80%93-Now-Available.jpg

OnlySP: inXile made a bold decision to branch away from its roots by basing the game in the snowscapes of Colorado instead of a dry and desolate location whilst also increasing the sense of isolation. How do you want players to feel as they journey across the environments? How likely will it be for a future Wasteland game to be set outside of America?

We want them to feel cold! It’s a bleak existence, but actually it also serves as a really nice juxtaposition when you finally get inside. You’ll be driving your Kodiak through a snowstorm, you’ll run your rangers over ice and through a blizzard, and then you come across an interior and the color palette changes, it’s warm and inviting, and it actually makes you feel cozy.

As far as future Wasteland games… we’re focused on getting this one finished!

OnlySP: Enemy combatants are aesthetically stunning, especially the gigantic, arthropod- and arachnid-inspired mechanised robots. What inspired the animation of the enemies and how the art design brings the world together?

The Scorpitron has been a defining enemy since the original Wasteland back in 1988, of course the design has evolved quite a bit. When we’re looking at a game that’s a split of deep RPG story and tactical turn-based combat, it’s important for characters you’re speaking with to look good (our first-person cinematic conversations help with that) but it’s also important on the combat side for enemies to be impressive, move and react in combat in interesting ways, and then (most importantly) die in some spectacular ways. We spend quite a bit of time on animating ‘gruesome’ deaths.

Screenshot_2020-03-25-Wasteland-3-%E2%80%93-Now-Available1.png

OnlySP: In 2018, inXile was acquired by Xbox Game Studios as a first-party studio specifically to make engrossing role-playing games. How has your studio benefited, and what challenges have you encountered as a first-party studio?

The benefits have been pretty drastic and immediate. A lot of what you’re seeing with Wasteland 3 is a direct result of additional resources and time. Our visual fidelity took a big jump up, we have a fully voiced game, our soundtrack is really incredible, and we’re taking advantage of the internal testing and user research labs to help improve things like controller support. Those are really just a few of the benefits that are directly improving this title already, and we’re looking forward to really taking advantage of the full Xbox experience in future titles.

OnlySP: Can you reveal any details about how long the campaign will be?

We set out with this game trying to be more focused, to keep some of the sprawl we had in Wasteland 2 in-check, but in true RPG fashion, we probably failed a bit. We’re estimating around 50 or 60 hours for the average player. Of course, there’s a lot more in there if you want to take your time and explore it all.

Last edited:

soulburner

Cipher
So... is there a short Codex summary somewhere about the beta? Is it any good and worth waiting for the full release? Is it like Wasteland 2 but improved or is there a huge decline? How bad is the performance (I know it's bad, it's Unity ;))?

Codex Year of the Donut
Much like the past couple of installments, Wasteland 3 also pays tribute to the original Fallout by sticking to the same isometric role-playing principles in a post-apocalyptic setting.
Something else new in Wasteland 3 is the camera which breaks away from the isometric perspective for conversations, especially when speaking with someone important. Fallout has been doing this for years but it’s a first for Wasteland.
image.png

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So... is there a short Codex summary somewhere about the beta? Is it any good and worth waiting for the full release? Is it like Wasteland 2 but improved or is there a huge decline? How bad is the performance (I know it's bad, it's Unity ;))?

No.

General reactions are that the systems are a bit more streamlined and the content is a bit more interesting, but there isn't enough to judge the game by in the beta.

norolim

Arcane

No.

General reactions are that the systems are a bit more streamlined and the content is a bit more interesting, but there isn't enough to judge the game by in the beta.
Also, here is a summary of the full story of the game:

In the prologue you meet The Patriarch, who asks you to fetch his children. He says they rebelled against him, because they are evil and want to destroy everything he built. After a while you find his two sons. They turn out to be women hating, racist psychopaths that will not surrender without a fight. You have to kill them. In their hideout you find clues as to the whereabouts of their sister. When you finally find her, it turns out The Patriarch was lying. She describes him as a sadistic fascist, that terrorizes the working people of Colorado into submission. She also tells you that, when she rebelled against his tyranny, he tried to force her into obedience by raping her. She managed to escape and since then has been building an army of Antifa(scists) in order to start a revolution. At this stage you have to make the most important choice in the game. You either join her and help her defeat the tyrant and free the working people of Colorado, or you decide you don't trust her. If you choose the later, she overpowers you with the strength of her muscles and forces you to join her and help her defeat the tyrant and free the working people of Colorado. After you assists her in killing The Patriarch, she takes his role as the leader of Colorado and becomes a virtuous gay Matriarch. The end.

Last edited:
Hi there! I'm the author of this piece.

It's true, I came into this preview with absolutely zero experience of the Wasteland games. I was offered code to help fill some time in during this extended lockdown, so I wanted to offer my experience with the game.

There are surely many people like me who aren't long-time fans of Wasteland, and who have become familiar with Fallout from its console iterations, and I just offered a take from my personal perspective. I will say I have downloaded Wasteland remastered to play through now, so by the time the full game releases I will be much more up to date with the lore.

I have not played the first two Fallout games, but I am (was?) a huge fan of Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4. As each game has come and gone a bit of series fatigue has crept in though, and as asdaaaaaaa mentioned, Fallout became more reliant on graphics and the open-world experience, and less on story and characters. From my admittedly limited experience with Wasteland 3's beta, it had all of the elements that originally made me fall in love with the Fallout games, and I enjoyed every minute.

"Better than Fallout?" is, admittedly, a bait title, but I would never claim it to be better without having played the full game. The title was, in part, intended to get the attention of Fallout fans who may otherwise overlook Wasteland 3 because of the turn-based mechanics, when the majority of the experience is very similar in terms of RPG structure.

It may, for me, turn out to be a better game, but that's entirely subjective anyway. I did however thoroughly enjoy the beta and noticed more than just a few parallels in the way skill trees, character interactions and dialogue options worked.

It has been very interesting reading through the discussion here, thanks for taking the time to read it anyway. :)

I disagree; although Fallout (these days anyway) plays from a first-person perspective and Wasteland is a turn-based strategy, it shares the same RPG elements; branching dialogue options, repercussions for actions, similar skill tree systems, dark humour etc. As a Fallout fan, I enjoyed Wasteland 3's beta for exactly the same reasons I enjoyed Fallout. It's a gripping sci-fi game and one that many will overlook because they don't usually play turn-based strategy games. This is purely based on my time with the beta, but I loved Wasteland 3, and I'm from the "I don't usually play turn-based games" camp. If I hadn't been given preview code, I may not have given it a second glance, so hopefully, the article will get more people to give Wasteland a look too.

better than what? fallout1? I would hope so.

better than modern fallout games? it's not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fs5ebf/wasteland_3_handson_better_than_fallout/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.impulsegamer.com/wasteland-3-preview-gameplay-impressions/
https://gamingbolt.com/wasteland-3-interview-player-choices-story-multiplayer-and-more

Wasteland 3 Interview – Player Choices, Story, Multiplayer, and More
inXile Entertainment studio head Brian Fargo speaks with GamingBolt about the upcoming RPG.
wasteland-3-cover-image.jpg

inXile Entertainment have been among the frontrunners of the cRPG genre for years now, and one of their most beloved and well-respected properties – Wasteland, which they have referred to as their Fallout – will be making a return soon. Wasteland 3 is looking like the ideal sequel, as it improves on its predecessors in significant ways and carries on with their biggest strengths, and in spite of the recent delay, anticipation surrounding the game is high. Recently, we sent across some of our most burning questions about the game to its developers- you can read our conversation with studio head Brian Fargo below.

Meaningful choice and consequence mechanics are often among the most important aspect of any cRPG, and that’s an area where inXile games – Wasteland 2 included – have been very successful. Can players expect the same kind of reactivity from Wasteland 3, or perhaps something at an even larger scale?

Absolutely. Aside from combat, the deep RPG decisions and narrative choices are a hallmark for the series, so we’ve spent a lot of time on them. Our close relationship with the guys at Obsidian mean that we have access to their dialogue tools that they used for The Outer Worlds, and we’re using that to create a much deeper and interwoven story than we’d been able to in the past. We also have a team of writers on this project, where for Wasteland 2 it was essentially just one guy—Wasteland 3 is a far deeper game in the way it pays off player choice.

Wasteland 3’s multiplayer promises a lot of exciting ideas, but the fact that players playing together can affect each other’s playthroughs through their own actions is perhaps the most exciting. How far does the game let players go with that, and how much work was it for you as developers to just keep all of that straight, given how many more variables you have to deal with when it’s more than just one player?

It’s probably the biggest hurdle for us right now because, you’re absolutely right, in a game where you can make any decision and we have a response to it—including outright murdering quest NPCs—we have to figure out the additional complexity of how that plays out when there are two players in there, and they may have different objectives or ways they want to play. We need to handle quite a number of edge case scenarios.

How much impact does the addition of full voice acting and the new camera angles during dialog impact the game from a storytelling perspective?

Having our first fully voiced game is extremely exciting because it increases immersion and delivers greater emotional impact. Bringing the camera in for the first-person cinematic conversations ups that even further, and our animation team is continuing to add and refine those to ensure we’re pushing our visuals further than we’ve ever been able to before. All of these things together are hopefully going to create a more engaging story.

Can you talk about vehicles, how they function, and what areas of the experience they’re going to have the most impact on?

The Kodiak is your vehicle throughout the game, and you use it to drive between locations on the world map, and in combats you might come across or through key boss fights—and there’s a whole customization and upgrade system that goes along with it. We see the Kodiak as the 7th member of your Ranger squad, and so we have some pretty fun ways it integrates in the story and the gameplay we hope players discover and enjoy.

How large is the world of Wasteland 3?

The world map for Colorado is much larger than that of Arizona from Wasteland 2 and the story and characters are denser than the previous games. We know players want to be able to wander the Wasteland and try to take on challenges earlier than they should, and we of course support that kind of gaming. I’m especially pleased that the content never gets repetitive, and that player are going to experience new events and enemies all the way to the end.

Can you talk to us about the hub locations, especially the Rangers’ base of operations, and how in-depth the system of slowly building up that hub throughout the course of the game is?

The Ranger HQ is your place to come back to in-between missions, or when you feel like swapping out squad members, fixing up your Kodiak, and engaging with the story there. It’s one of the more satisfying parts of the game, rather than customize walls or drapes, the player decides who comes back to the base and a social fabric develops at Ranger HQ. You’ll find some groups that don’t’ get along, which forces the player to make more choices based on the dynamic. It was a fun new aspect to dive into.

Did Microsoft’s acquisition of inXile have an impact on Wasteland 3 in any way?

More resources and more time are the sweetest words any developer can hear. We’re a small studio and so we cherish every week and day we can have on a milestone or deadline. They’ve also been a huge benefit in offering us additional testing and user research, as well as allowing us to expand and increase the quality across the board. Fully voiced dialogue being one of those.

Of late, we’ve heard some XGS studios talking about how their game being released day and date on Xbox Game Pass has changed their approach to development in terms of things like accessibility. Is that true for Wasteland 3 as well?

We definitely look at how Game Pass players engage with games there, and specifically how important the first few minutes of a game are. When you can download and dip into and out of a game almost instantly, it’s even more important to ensure those first few minutes of gameplay are welcoming and captivating.

How has your acquisition by Microsoft allowed you to grow as a studio?

We’ve been able to ramp up the talent here in a big way, the future is very exciting.

Roughly how long will an average playthrough of Wasteland 3 be?

We estimate the average playthrough is going to be around 50-60 hours.

Will the game will feature Xbox One X and PS4 Pro-specific enhancements? Is 4K/60 FPS on the cards?

We’re still working on optimization, but yes, we’ll be taking some advantage of the Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
"Absolutely. Aside from combat, the deep RPG decisions and narrative choices are a hallmark for the series, so we’ve spent a lot of time on them. Our close relationship with the guys at Obsidian mean that we have access to their dialogue tools that they used for The Outer Worlds, and we’re using that to create a much deeper and interwoven story than we’d been able to in the past. We also have a team of writers on this project, where for Wasteland 2 it was essentially just one guy—Wasteland 3 is a far deeper game in the way it pays off player choice."

:hmmm:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah, he mentioned an RPG you don't like. Doesn't matter, Obsidian's dialogue tools are good. It's the same tool they've use for all of their games going back years.

Codex Year of the Donut
"Absolutely. Aside from combat, the deep RPG decisions and narrative choices are a hallmark for the series, so we’ve spent a lot of time on them. Our close relationship with the guys at Obsidian mean that we have access to their dialogue tools that they used for The Outer Worlds, and we’re using that to create a much deeper and interwoven story than we’d been able to in the past. We also have a team of writers on this project, where for Wasteland 2 it was essentially just one guy—Wasteland 3 is a far deeper game in the way it pays off player choice."

:hmmm:
Outer Worlds shined in exactly one area: reactivity. This could be a very good thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom