Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(close-up) dialog choices
The dialogue system will be the complex one used for TTON, tweaked slightly I think. The only difference is that the camera will go close up. It's OK if you hate a more cinematic camera but I want to make sure you're unhappy about what you mean to be unhappy about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The dialogue system will be the complex one used for TTON, tweaked slightly I think. The only difference is that the camera will go close up. It's OK if you hate a more cinematic camera but I want to make sure you're unhappy about what you mean to be unhappy about.
Sauce? Please.

Zombra might be drawing conclusions from the fact that they're using the Obsidian dialogue editor, which is also used in TToN. That doesn't mean much in and of itself, though. Obsidian use that tool in all of their games, including the ones with dialogue wheels.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've got an email from inXile and I can see how the Fig page will look like.

I believe this one haven't been posted yet:
medium.jpg

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sauce? Please.
The MMORPG interview.
MMORPG interview said:
Additionally, we’re utilizing the Pillars of Eternity conversation editor again, which is the same we used in Torment, which allows our writers to quickly mock-up and step through branching conversations. We're building on years of experience with the technology so that also helps let us do more. I think people will quite impressed when they see the video.
I guess it's possible that "doing more" means "dumbing down" - you never know - but I don't believe it. Sounds like it will be nice and robust just like in TTON.

I believe this one haven't been posted yet:
medium.jpg
Whoa, bullshot or not, that's gorgeous.

The only difference is that the camera will go close up.
There is a quote that implies the close-up is only for "key converstaions".
Perhaps it's only a partial disaster.
Remind me why a close up camera is decline? Honest question. I like looking at tiny isometric characters in normal gameplay, but that view doesn't exactly lend itself to dramatic characterization.
I also hope that a zoomed in camera will mean better facial options for PCs. I hated how the different heads in W2DC were all based on the same mesh.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Remind me why a close up camera is decline? Honest question. I like looking at tiny isometric characters in normal gameplay, but that view doesn't exactly lend itself to dramatic characterization.
I also hope that a zoomed in camera will mean better facial options for PCs. I hated how the different heads in W2DC were all based on the same mesh.

Don't know about decline, but I'm not so sure about the benefits of "dramatic characterization" when you are looking close up at a mute and lifeless group of people to whom a "dramatically characterized" NPC acts to according to the dialog prompts. Well, unless the cam goes all the way to a 1st person view in which case it'd likely feel less cumbersome if the transition zoom-ins were simply replaced with an enlarged window with an animated talking head over an appropriate background above the dialog UI (it'd probably even look better).

I have doubts on this thing really working for the benefit of the experience.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Don't know about decline, but I'm not so sure about the benefits of "dramatic characterization" when you are looking close up at a mute and lifeless group of people to whom a "dramatically characterized" NPC acts to according to the dialog prompts. Well, unless the cam goes all the way to a 1st person view in which case it'd likely feel less cumbersome if the transition zoom-ins were simply replaced with an enlarged window with an animated talking head over an appropriate background above the dialog UI.
I get it, you like Fallout, but I just don't understand why this is bad
but this is good.

I have doubts on this thing really working for the benefit of the experience.
Fair enough. It still doesn't make sense to me, but thanks for the explanation anyway.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
I get it, you like Fallout...

It's not really about Fallout. I would've liked Wasteland 2 and the series from thereon to be closer to Wasteland 1 than Fallout, but here we are.

About the pics. The first pic shows a group of people all taking part in the conversation, I doubt that will be the case unless the ranger team (+companions) is also voiced and animated. The lower example abstracts the team rather than depicts them as dummies.

dummies.jpg

Nothing really more to it.

Zombra

Patron
About the pics. The first pic shows a group of people all taking part in the conversation, I doubt that will be the case unless the ranger team (+companions) is also voiced and animated. The lower example abstracts the team rather than depicts them as dummies.

dummies.jpg
Ah, I get it. But I don't see why this*
makes the characters any less wooden. If it's a choice between dummies far away or dummies close up, I don't see what the problem is with dummies close up.

*(Not picking on Fallout, it was just an easy example that came to mind.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That screenshot/prototype art looks like it's showing some kind of cult. inXile game - gotta have cults.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron

dummies.jpg
Ah, I get it. But I don't see why this*
makes the characters any less wooden. If it's a choice between dummies far away or dummies close up, I don't see what the problem is with dummies close up.

*(Not picking on Fallout, it was just an easy example that came to mind.)

Suppose it has to do with detachment, dummies up close look like dummies. The distance blurs the details and just like with unvoiced dialog, you fill in the expressive blanks in your head if you want to (and provided the dialog itself isn't too "wooden" for that).

Zombra

Patron
Suppose it has to do with detachment, dummies up close look like dummies. The distance blurs the details and just like with unvoiced dialog, you fill in the expressive blanks in your head if you want to (and provided the dialog itself isn't too "wooden" for that).
I can dig it. Brofist.

I guess I want to zoom because I want to see the custom characters I made. And I'm hopeful that the graphics will be better than last time (even in W2, they were good enough I was happy to see them zoomed whenever I went into the character screen). Voiced dialogue is a very illustrative point, thank you; but of course there's a big difference between a graphically-customized character I made and some voice actor doing their own interpretation. If we had decent voice synth nowadays, I would want to give my characters custom voices and hear them talk a lot ... even if the effect was somewhat wooden. :)

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
I can dig it. Brofist.

I guess I want to zoom because I want to see the custom characters I made. And I'm hopeful that the graphics will be better than last time (even in W2, they were good enough I was happy to see them zoomed whenever I went into the character screen). Voiced dialogue is a very illustrative point, thank you; but of course there's a big difference between a graphically-customized character I made and some voice actor doing their own interpretation. If we had decent voice synth nowadays, I would want to give my characters custom voices and hear them talk a lot ... even if the effect was somewhat wooden. :)

No argument. I'm just more inclined towards a more abstract and interpreted depiction than an up close and detailed one. Also don't really care much what the characters might look like beyond the portrait the charactersheet image.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fun fact: Then it's guaranteed they're 2D renders (which is what they look like) and the actual game will look nowhere near that. But most people won't have a clue about it and donate thinking that's what they'll get.

Prototype screenshots... :lol: Also known as "we could never actually make it like this, but wouldn't it be totally cool if we could????"

This is worse than Bethesda level of lying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom