Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Wasteland 3 Developer Diary & Panel Discussion on Game Stack Live

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Brian Fargo; David Rogers; inXile Entertainment; Tim Campbell; Wasteland 3

Last week, in response to the cancellation of GDC 2020 due to the coronavirus epidemic, Microsoft announced that they'd put together an online replacement conference called Game Stack Live. We were a bit surprised to discover that there was a Wasteland 3 segment on the second day of the event. The topic of the segment is iteration - the process by which inXile continually replay and refine their games during development in order to hopefully make them more fun. It begins with a fancy ten minute dev diary-style video featuring Brian Fargo, game director Tim Campbell and lead designer David Rogers, followed by an additional twenty minute panel discussion with the latter two. The dev diary was also uploaded as a separate video:

Although it doesn't go into any deep detail, I found this to be a fairly insightful session. However, grognards may be upset that inXile's process of iteration in Wasteland 3 has led to the discarding of certain hardcore mechanics from the previous game.

• decline decline x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    Wasteland II was okay, but not exceptional. I don't know what those 'hardcore mechanics' are, nor do I care, but if that's out then the situation cannot be too good.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    What hardcore mechanics? The stat system wasn't even thought through carefully enough...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Watch the panel: https://youtu.be/_eja9uy_C_0?t=3690

But it's like I said:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Don't care bout mechanics, as long as writing and story is GUD

• Shit Shit x 3
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    The designer looks and sounds very enthusiastic about what he's doing. And he also sounds like he has a process in mind in regards to how to make the game fun. I don't know, maybe it's because he is a millenial, but I think I get what he's doing: he's adapting the game to be as best as he can make it with the tools that he is given, which is commendable.

The director seems to be... a seasoned man, but really just happy to be there...? He came across as superfluous. Maybe it's just his personality. I don't know.

It's really sad Fargo blew his reputation, if he hadn't maybe I would've been excited for this. Right now, I'm just cynical. :|

• Agree Agree x 2
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    The lead designer of Wasteland 3 for most of its development was G Ziets. David Rogers must have stepped in after he left in July. Seems like in practice they might be focusing on different things, though. David is more of a systems design guy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Diggfinger Cipher

Diggfinger
    Looks pretty good.

Little talk about RPG-mechanics though, guess it's more a strategy-experience.

Hope Brian's OK, he looks a little swollen.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Van-d-all Arbiter

Van-d-all
    After W2 could you blame them? People don't give a fuck about InExile altogether. You are loosing grip on reality Infinitron...

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)