Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland Remastered Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: inXile Entertainment; Krome Studios; Wasteland Remastered

Back in 2018, inXile hired a little-known Australian indie developer called Krome Studios to finish the remaster of the original Bard's Tale trilogy that they'd promised to Bard's Tale IV backers and which Rebecca Heineman had failed to provide. Within less than a month, it was announced that they'd decided to contract Krome to develop a remaster of the original Wasteland as well. It was only later on that we realized what inXile had been so impressed by. Krome's Bard's Tale Trilogy remaster was great, but Wasteland is a significantly more complex title, which may be why it ended up taking a year longer than expected to complete it. A week after they announced its release date, inXile revealed the launch trailer for the new Wasteland Remastered.

Originally released in 1988, Wasteland brought the post-apocalypse to video games and inspired a genre. Play one of history’s defining RPGs with completely overhauled graphics, sound, and expanded musical score.

The year is 2087, nearly a century after an all-out nuclear war turned vast swaths of the Earth into a radioactive hellscape. You are a Desert Ranger, a band of stalwart lawmen who are the only hope left in what was once the American southwest, and good people’s last defense against hunger, sickness, ravaging raiders, and mutants.

Now something more secretive and sinister is menacing humanity, and it's your job to investigate. Recruit help and follow leads—the choices you make will shape the world around you. Choose wisely, your life and the lives of those you’re sworn to protect depend on it.
  • Wasteland Remastered retains the spirit of the original game while updating visuals and audio.
  • The original game’s physical storybook is available in-game, fully illustrated and with full voice over.
  • An expanded musical score from the "Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic" release.
  • Old bugs that have been around since Reagan was president have been fixed.
  • Survive the apocalypse from the comfort of your couch with game controller support.
  • Quality of life improvements that make the post-apocalypse a little friendlier.

Some of our users have found that low budget 3D graphics aren't as appealing to them in a top-down post-apocalyptic game as they were in a first-person fantasy game. Personally, I'm more disappointed that the remaster largely retains the original Wasteland's primitive user interface. Still, it's a good thing when any 1980s RPG gets remade and you could do a lot worse than Krome. Wasteland Remastered is available on Steam and GOG for $15, and you can also get it if you're subscribed to Microsoft's Game Pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The extensive use of green real does not help that 'new' UI.
giphy.gif

aratuk

Cipher
I have forgotten, is this included for Wasteland 3 Figstarter supporters? I know the Bard's Tale remasters were for backers of the new Bard's Tale game.

Asking for a friend. :M

o_dawg

Novice
Installed through Game Pass. "Combat Shooting" skill is still present, with no mention in manual. Have to delete pre-gen characters to create your own (no roster). Windowed mode doesn't work. With either created party or pre-gen, game effectively locks on first random encounter, won't accept any inputs to the game screen, but can pause and quit to menu.

UI is brutal - it was the same as BT, how do you screw that up?

0/10. Minus-1 point applied due to expectation of quality from Bard's Tale.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Odd. Mine didn't lock up on the enconters that first boot, but it did prevent me from logging out. In fact all i did was test world map randoms and camping.

you know, home ranger center is an old prison facility. Why the hell didn't this ever become a map instead of a sort of guild hall like bardstale? Prisons are usually big.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Besides Wasteland 3, Wth is inxile working on. I must say their forums are like the plague with little to nothing to read.

I'll kiss ass and say I'm glad the codex is active. One of my top 5 forums to visit.

Deleted Member 22431

The negative reviews are brutal

mplsmark
39 products in account
1 review

Not Recommended
44.4 hrs on record (11.6 hrs at review time)

POSTED: 27 FEBRUARY
Don't bother. Really. Other then a skin to make it look slightly better it's the same as the original but somehow the interface is more clunky. Five minutes in and already feel like it's too buggy to be playable. Switched weapons but the main screen doesn't show it. Took damage (nearly dead) and main screen shows CON still at the maximum. Serious bugs that should have been fixed before release.

Bugs\cons so far:
Cannot use keypad. You must use the number keys at the top of the keyboard.
Remove macro support from the original game
Character creation shows names in upper case. FAT BASTARD later shows in game as 'fat bastard'.
Resolution is unavailable at odd times requiring the game to be restarted before becoming available.

icon_thumbsDown.png
Not Recommended
3.8 hrs last two weeks / 3.8 hrs on record
Posted: 28 Feb @ 4:10am

Simply not enough quality of life improvements. The menus require far too many clicks to do things. Want to trade an item between characters? (Bear in mind this is outside combat and there's no chance of failing it or anything going wrong, so it adds no gameplay value beyond just logistics.)

Press button to select character.
Button to select the items menu.
Button to select trade.
Select item from list by scrolling.
Select person you want to trade it to.
Done.

That's one item, now imagine having to trade 10 clips of ammo between two characters.

Same thing with using skills on stuff in the world. Also a lot of clicks and that's for every tile you want to try your skill on. There's no repeat action function. And every time you've used said an ability the menu closes and you have to open it again and navigate through the entire thing again from scratch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom