Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch Dogs: Legion - wacky adventures in dystopian London

Zibniyat

Arcane
Lol. The premise of the story is so unbelievable considering the reality that the supposed "parallels" with real world are hilarious... and hilariously misleading.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Played the first. It was only really fun when you got involved in police chases and hacked stuff to raise barricades and caused mayhem. The storyline missions were fairly dull.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SJW: we want strong women
LGBT community: we want gay/bi/trans/"whatever has -sexual suffix" representation
Game critics: we want colored people
Gamers: we want tough white dudes/dudettes
Ubisoft: here, take Watch Dogs Legion, you can be whatever you want, including a grandma :happytrollboy:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SJW: we want strong women
LGBT community: we want gay/bi/trans/"whatever has -sexual suffix" representation
Game critics: we want colored people
Gamers: we want tough white dudes/dudettes
Ubisoft: here, take Watch Dogs Legion, you can be whatever you want, including a grandma :happytrollboy:

The grandma character is pretty good though.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I am serious though. The second game was good, doing stuff like infiltrating some NSA building by calling in a gang war on one of the security guards is fun, and flying over a gang compound and dropping a bunch of sticky bombs in various places and killing everyone in one click is very fun. I didn't like the desperately millennial cast but other than that, it is really promising.

The GTA games could be really good. Look at GTA3 with more serious mafia stories and San Andreas with more interesting gameplay like having a harrier, jetpack, long country roads to open up your fast car, etc. It could be a great series. The problem is like all games, they dumb it down to the simplest level for the lowest common denominator audience, which sadly is the biggest audience in the world. In other words, GTA stopped trying almost 20 years ago and just pump out the same shit over and over and it gets worse each time. Watch Dogs is the only thing close to some competition. If the two could end up competing with each other, maybe with a bit of help from Saints Row or something, they could all be fighting for a huge mainstream audience. They would have to innovate and do a good job.

Egosphere

Arcane
Played the first one and hated it. A joke of a story about some guy and his magic phone than can shut down everything. Might as well give him a fucking wand.

wblocksidge

Barely Literate
Watch Dogs 1 totally treats the whole concept of hacking as a joke. The game is hilarious. Every major character is a paranoid psychopath whose 'hacking' ability is just an extension of their willingness to break kneecaps. Then on the other hand you have the Anonymous-hacktivist dudes who make all these righteous speeches and never actually achieve anything, whose only place in the story is to call you up at the end and ask nicely if they can be involved.
Watch Dogs is a hacker story where the 'hacker' ideal is shown to mean nothing. People who say Aidan is unlikable just don't get the joke.
There's this one mission where it has you facing off against a rival hacker, and it's set up as this battle-of-the-minds in an elaborate futurist art show.. and then he just runs off and you have to chase him down and murder him in the street. Hilarious.

Watch Dogs 2 wants to take the Anonymous losers and say that actually this is who we should care about, and what would really be funny is just... having them tell lame jokes all the time. Great. Here's hoping WD3 has a decent vision.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Played the first one and hated it. A joke of a story about some guy and his magic phone than can shut down everything. Might as well give him a fucking wand.
I gave the first one about 2-3 hours. There was an extremely exciting police chase where I hid under an overpass for ages, praying, and eventually a chopper or something caught site of me and the 15 minute police chase ended up continuing. I had no idea how to end the chase... Just zig zagging a few blocks like GTA didn't work at all. I ended up getting out the car and climbing up on to some shops, the chopper found me and lead the ground team to me and I think I died. But I appreciated it because police chases in GTA are meaningless.

That said I quit not long after because the rest of the game was really bad. But Watch Dogs 2 is like a completely different game.

Egosphere

Arcane
I gave the first one about 2-3 hours. There was an extremely exciting police chase where I hid under an overpass for ages, praying, and eventually a chopper or something caught site of me and the 15 minute police chase ended up continuing. I had no idea how to end the chase... Just zig zagging a few blocks like GTA didn't work at all. I ended up getting out the car and climbing up on to some shops, the chopper found me and lead the ground team to me and I think I died. But I appreciated it because police chases in GTA are meaningless.

That said I quit not long after because the rest of the game was really bad. But Watch Dogs 2 is like a completely different game.

My favorite mission in the first was a 2 way car chase: you're chasing down some guy whilst some gangsters chase you. Quite a memorable and challenging mission. Now that I think of it, Watchdogs probably would have been a cool game if it focused on the car chases, like some high tech need for speed, but with guns and gangsters. All those abilities to turn off traffic lights, or put up barriers, would have been the main focus rather than a side dish.

Hellion

Arcane
Theoretically, you could choose to only recruit white male skinheads and create an in-game right-wing death squad.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's the FarCry 2 game director, he said in some interview this game definitely has something to say. So it is political unlike the rest of Ubisoft apparently.

Not sure if it's the same guy but I read someone from Ubisoft saying the other day that by "not political" they mean not having a specific agenda, but they're fine presenting political situations to the player for them to decide on. Which is a good way to do it, IMO.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why don't some of you like Watch Dogs 2? I never finished it because it started feeling too repetitive by the end but I've been playing these sorts of games right since the start so... I didn't really need 100 more hours of it. But I did play the game for a long time and had a lot of fun. One minute I doing a tricky puzzle under the Golden Gate Bridge where you have to use a drone to fly up into the supports and rewire some wires to unlock something. Then I'm racing around which feels good and is fun, getting chased by cops etc.. and hacking traffic lights to cause mayhem or blowing up grates and things. Fun times. And then there are a bunch of really solid missions too, and buildings with big interesting interiors. Much more interesting AI and locations than GTA. And I liked the world too, there were some ghetto parts and I liked the silicon valley region, fast cars to steal.

To me it only needs a few tweaks to be something I would love. I would prefer a more grown up realistic story and characters, and I'd like them to rework the talent tree and some of the gameplay mechanics to either shrink it down and streamline it into a quantity over quantity thing. Fewer things but more focused and interesting ones. For example I never enjoyed using the ground based drone to go through vents and flick a switch. I doubt anyone on the planet did either, so don't waste resources on the various things like that. And instead spend them on making the flying drone that can drop bombs and things, even better. I'd also like it to be a bit more difficult in general, and for dying to mean something, etc. Not so much to alienate the player, just a bit so they feel motivated to play the game more seriously. We already have GTA for just holding forward and driving through street lights and everything to get to your mission asap. I think a lot of people would appreciate something more realistic.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I came here to watch dogs as thread promised but i don't see any. Ban topic starter!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom