Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Watch some goblins get barbecued in Realms Beyond

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Goral don't forget the UrWelt Engine which will allow modding through a map editor, script system and dialogue editor. So theorically, that will allow advanced modding.
This is telling me the planned dlcs won't be some shitty ones.

It would be good to have more infos about UrWelt Engine though : a stretchgoal for the coming KS campaign?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It would be good to have more infos about UrWelt Engine though : a stretchgoal for the coming KS campaign?

UrWelt Engine is the name of our own engine on which we develop the game. We have several in-house tools with which we develop our content, such as a level editor and a dialogue editor, and adding new 3D models into the game is relatively easy.
We might add it as a stretch goal in the KS campaign, since the #1 priority is to finish and polish the game first and foremost. Our order of priorities would be: finished and polished game > mod tools > post-release expansion content

Goral don't forget the UrWelt Engine which will allow modding through a map editor, script system and dialogue editor. So theorically, that will allow advanced modding.
This is telling me the planned dlcs won't be some shitty ones.

DLC is such a general term it could mean anything from red dye to a 20 hour adventure, but there's an expectation it'll be the former because the well has been poisoned by major publishers. Many folk won't even look at this stuff on a case by case basis anymore. The Witcher 3 was savaged on the GOG forums for using the term 'expansion pass'. People shat on one of the best consumer-friendly deals in gaming because of the terms cd projekt used to describe it.

Yes. As I just said in my last post, our DLC will be expansion-sized DLC and not just some shitty low-effort cash-in. Goral, you seem to be really put off by the term DLC - and then mention CD Projekt as a company to emulate, which I have actually mentioned in my post (Witcher 3's expansions).

Just to clarify it again: when I use the term "DLC" here, I mean the kind of DLC that is more akin to traditional expansion packs rather than the small stuff that has become popular nowadays. The addition of a sizeable new area with a whole bunch of locations to explore, quests to do, new types of monsters to fight, and new items to equip.

We don't have any concrete plans yet because we're way too early in development to think about post-release content, right now our focus is on fleshing out the areas that will be in the initial release.
But the fact is that the fantasy world we created consists of more countries and cultures than those we can depict in our initial release, and if the game is successful we would like to create some expansions to show off these cultures and kingdoms. Simple as that.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
You're not being consistent here.

First you're saying:
we release expansions and DLCs
Which suggests that DLCs are DLCs and expansion packs are expansion packs. Also, since we're talking plural it also suggests that they won't be that big but you're planning to go with quantity not quality (only now you've specified that you have 1-2 DLCs in mind but it seems to me like damage control at this point).
when I use the term "DLC" here, I mean the kind of DLC that is more akin to traditional expansion packs rather than the small stuff that has become popular nowadays
Then call it expansion pack not DLC, seems like you're changing your story now.
like the DLCs of New Vegas or Witcher 3, or Skyrim's Dragonborn DLC
Yes, I've already commented on this, read with comprehension.

Anyway, announcing plans for multiple DLCs before your game is even released seems like a dumb move to me, that only tells me that I should wait with buying your game until all DLCs will be released, especially when we're talking about a no-name studio which is yet to prove its worth.

Actually, I am in favour of DLC as a concept (not of the current way this concept is handled, of course) and in the indie project I'm working on, we already have included DLC as a business plan (DLC meaning at least 5 hours of gametime with new quests and locations, no shitty "lol we sell u new swoahd for a dollah" crap).
I rest my case.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yes. Expansion-sized DLCs, as I've always said. New quests, new locations, more hours of gametime. 5 hours was probably an understatement back then, but I'm a relatively fast player who can play through the entirety of Arcanum in 10 hours. Case in point, Steam tells me I spent 24 hours in Age of Decadence, which I have played through 4 times, each time a different path through the game.

I guess you'll see what I mean later, when we unveil our gameworld and you can see the size of the different regions in the game.
What we want to do after the game's release is to work on expansions which each have the size of one major region in the game.

Anyway, announcing plans for multiple DLCs before your game is even released seems like a dumb move to me, that only tells me that I should wait with buying your game until all DLCs will be released, especially when we're talking about a no-name studio which is yet to prove its worth.

Since the expansion DLCs will be sizeable new regions with all-new content, you can buy the base game on release, play through it, save your game, buy the expansion DLC when it comes out a year later or so, load the savegame, and continue on with your old party, exploring a completely new area with its own independent content.

Nowhere have I mentioned simple add-in DLCs that somehow modify the base game.

Anyway, this discussion is rather pointless at this point since the only thing that we have in mind concerning expansions right now is "once our game is released, we'd like to work on other regions of the world and add them in as DLC/expansion packs".
There's no grand DLC milking plan or whatever you're imagining, we just love the world we've created for Realms Beyond and would like to explore other regions of it after the game has been released.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
oaSKoj7.png

C'mon Goral , is it really so hard to look at stuff like Underrail's Expeditions DLC as an example?
There's no need to go full autismo over this kind of thing, especially before the game is even close to being done.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yes we're planning on designing a nice physical collector's edition for the Kickstarter, with a cloth map like back in the old days.

Of course, the game on the boxed edition won't just be a Steam key but you can install and play from the DVDs, no registration with anything required.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Dimensions aside, the box will be thick cardboard with two parts like the SSI Goldbox games. You can place it in the same row on your shelf as your oldschool collection and it won't look out of place!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes we're planning on designing a nice physical collector's edition for the Kickstarter, with a cloth map like back in the old days.

Of course, the game on the boxed edition won't just be a Steam key but you can install and play from the DVDs, no registration with anything required.
Wait what KS? DIdn't you say that there would be no KS?

Mustawd

I'm also confused. Didn't they also say previously that all developer tools would be released by default. Now it's a KS goal? My erection is losing some steam here tbh.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
JF is a RPG developer now? From crude wizard cartoons to this?

Yeah I had other things to follow....

Not sure what to make of it....would have preferred him to make a Thief expansion given his passions :negative:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Dunno where you got that impression, we decided pretty early on that we'd like to start a KS campaign when we're ready, but it hasn't been officially announced yet of course (but I mentioned it in several places already, so it's no secret).

I'm also confused. Didn't they also say previously that all developer tools would be released by default. Now it's a KS goal? My erection is losing some steam here tbh.

Modding/authoring tools will be definitely released no matter what stretch goals will be reached (our official forums already offer boards related to those). But a stretch goal could enable us to hire one additional coder who will exclusively work on our tools while the rest of us will be still working on finishing the core game itself.

The stretch goal would essentially make the difference between receiving more polished and enhanced mod tools at release and receiving more basic tools that aren't as easy and powerful to use. They're an important element of the game to us, but we need to focus on finishing the game first and foremost, so having a dedicated programmer working on the mod tools would be a stretch goal. If the stretch goal isn't met, you'll essentially get the same tools we've been working with. If the stretch goal is met, you will receive tools that are optimized for modders, easier to use, with a detailed tutorial on how to use them, and so on.

Mod tools - either barebones ones or advanced ones, depending on the stretch goal - will definitely be out right away on release, because the sooner the community can work with them, the healthier the modding scene will be!

JF is a RPG developer now? From crude wizard cartoons to this?

Yeah I had other things to follow....

Not sure what to make of it....would have preferred him to make a Thief expansion given his passions

I'm still working with Dromed occasionally in my free time, don't worry. :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom