Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News We Stripped Stuff Because Origins "Was Busted"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
Some modern FPS games (excluding CoDs and clones) can be pretty complex in terms of mechanics (damage calculations, accuracy, the way more scifi-sh weapons work, etc.), yet they aren't confusing.

I would add WoW to that as well.

The issue here though is that Bioware think that by changing their RPGs in just the right way people who don't want to play RPGs will buy them. That's not really making them more accessible, that's making them not RPGs. If they were simply trying to present stuff like DEX and AC in a better way I would have little issue with that. If they were trying to present tactical battles in a more exciting way, like removing the "shuffling" rogue back-stabbing they talked about, I would have little issue with that either.

Instead though they actively remove tactical battles, actively remove stats and equipment, actively remove real consequences from choices. They are not really making RPGs more accessible, they are diluting their RPGs to the point they are not RPGs anymore. You don't save something by killing it.

And the funniest part is that if they just make good RPGs they would sell just fine. They don't need this ass-backwards pandering shit. Fallout: New Vegas has the stat-based aiming every developer says people hate, stats and decisions out the ass, armor class, real consequences, no voiced player dialogue, full sentence dialogues and everything else Bioware insists must be removed for commercial success... and yet New Vegas sold like three times as many copies as Dragon Age 2. Stuff that up your ass Laidlaw and pay attention to your fucking market.

DraQ

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
DraQ said:
Some modern FPS games (excluding CoDs and clones) can be pretty complex in terms of mechanics (damage calculations, accuracy, the way more scifi-sh weapons work, etc.), yet they aren't confusing.

I would add WoW to that as well.

I wouldn't know.
:smug:

The issue here though is that Bioware think that by changing their RPGs in just the right way people who don't want to play RPGs will buy them. That's not really making them more accessible, that's making them not RPGs.
The scary part is that it seems to work for bethesduh.

If they were simply trying to present stuff like DEX and AC in a better way I would have little issue with that.

This. If your problem is reliance on muddled clusterfuck of ill-conceived stats to convey stuff to the player, then make those stats more logical and find more direct way to show what they're all about, rather than cutting them.
If they were trying to present tactical battles in a more exciting way, like removing the "shuffling" rogue back-stabbing they talked about, I would have little issue with that either. Instead though they actively remove tactical battles, actively remove stats and equipment, actively remove real consequences from choices. They are not really making RPGs more accessible, they are diluting their RPGs to the point they are not RPGs anymore. You don't save something by killing it.

And the funniest part is that if they just make good RPGs they would sell just fine. They don't need this ass-backwards pandering shit. Fallout: New Vegas has the stat-based aiming every developer says people hate, stats and decisions out the ass, armor class, real consequences, no voiced player dialogue, full sentence dialogues and everything else Bioware insists must be removed for commercial success... and yet New Vegas sold like three times as many copies as Dragon Age 2. Stuff that up your ass Laidlaw and pay attention to your fucking market.
:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom