Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Weaboo Codex] An Umineko fighting game? Really?

Black Cat

Magister
Opening video.
A gameplay video.
Another gameplay video.
Yet another gameplay video.
And one last gameplay video.

It looks pretty cool and fun, and given it is was due for Comiket 79 (read: Right now) it should be appearing on torrents soon. A bit chaotic, maybe, but maybe it's because they are just trying to demonstrate cool and flashy moves. The artwork and animation is pretty cool given we are talking Doujin (are those guys still Doujin?) here, and it is delicious when put next to the horror that is (was?) Umineko's art up to where I stoped playing reading. I love the music, too, but then this is Umineko we are talking about.

However, and mind I am a bit out of date on my Umineko lore, why the bloody bleep are Battler and Shannon full magicians now? Wasn't Battler the jerk that went around, like, Beatrice just came out of a painting and is making people assplode with the power of her awesomeness and murdering people with her magical self-aware stakes of doom, but there must be a logical explanation for this. Also, I have just been abducted to the world of metaplot but, really, i'm sure there's a logical explanation for this too? WTF is this? Why is he casting shit and throwing light shows to people? What did I miss? :?

In any case, uhm, enjoy. Or not, and cry weaboo as hard as your lungs may, whichever you prefer.

Oaken

Novice
You've obviously haven't gone through all the answer episodes.

The blue sparkly magic is most likely a reference to the pointless blue text introduced in episode 4, or it might be referencing his time as the game master. (Although with the lack of the robe I doubt it.)

For Shannon I don't know how she got anything other than defensive powers.

Please forget that I posted here...

KalosKagathos

Learned
Very impressive visually (time to switch engines again, VD), and I'm not even being generous because it's an indie, but looks a bit too projectile-heavy to me. There must be a rushdown character or two on the roster, but I don't know how good they'll be at getting past all that crap others can put on the screen.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Umineko Beatrice spoilers.

Beatrice = Kanon = Shannon = child of Kinzo & real Beatrice #2 who herself is the daughter of Kinzo and Beatrice #1, an Italian.

Shannon can and does use her defensive shields to squash people to death. The lightning move is probably a call-out to the shrine mirror being 'smashed by lightning'.

Shannon did it with dynamite, though.

desocupado

Magister
Why are the female fighters so heavily dressed?

If there's one thing I come to expect from 2d fighters, is at least one scantily clad female fighters.

I'm not asking for much here, people!

KalosKagathos

Learned
desocupado said:

If there's one thing I come to expect from 2d fighters, is at least one scantily clad female fighters.

I'm not asking for much here, people!
Fourth video. Lucifer (yes) is constantly flashing everyone.

Felix

Arcane
Yawn, I don't get the appeal about this and higurashi except lolis being killed is kinda lulzy.

Mortmal

Arcane
A bit chaotic ? indeed i wonder what is considered really chaotic to you :)
I've nver heard of umineko before, i am probably too old , most of my anime references make me looks like a dinosaur.So is this show worth watching ?

KalosKagathos

Learned
Crooked Bee said:
Looks cool. Too bad I don't like fighting games.
If it supports online multiplayer that works in the version not-removed-from-the-inventory and doesn't lag too horribly, I can teach you what it means to love, Bee-kun. :oops:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
A nice thing to see more 2D fighting games, especially with proper 2D graphics. Very nice graphics considering it seems to be indie. Then again, doesn't seem to have a lot of characters judging from the videos. The character design isn't much though.

The gameplay looks a bit too much like MvsC spam-mash for my tastes.

However, it needs a console release if I'm going to play it, since fighting games aren't for PC.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Vaarna_Aarne said:
It lacks crazy mid-air MvC combos, though. Looks more like Melty Blood to me.
However, it needs a console release if I'm going to play it, since fighting games aren't for PC.
Why? Both of my arcade sticks work on PC as well as they do on PS3.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
KalosKagathos said:
Crooked Bee said:
Looks cool. Too bad I don't like fighting games.
If it supports online multiplayer that works in the version not-removed-from-the-inventory and doesn't lag too horribly, I can teach you what it means to love, Bee-kun. :oops:

:love:

Thanks, KK-kun. :oops: But I'm not really into fighting games, plus I'm already playing too many games at the moment.

(Also, I won't ever dare play against a pro like yourself, 'coz I'd be terribad and you'd be all FUUUUUU- and disappointed and won't ever luv me again.)

Vaarna_Aarne

KalosKagathos said:
Why? Both of my arcade sticks work on PC as well as they do on PS3.
For one thing, I prefers my fighting games sitting on a sofa and with a pad (I never liked the feel of arcade sticks), and with the new ones a big ass HDTV. There's also the matter of playing with your friends, which is far better done with that set-up.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Crooked Bee said:
(Also, I won't ever dare play against a pro like yourself, 'coz I'd be terribad and you'd be all FUUUUUU- and disappointed and won't ever luv me again.)
I'm pretty bad myself. Usually, I just memorize one simple-but-hard-to-punish combo and then spam the hell out of it. I also panic when dealing with aggressive opponents.
Vaarna_Aarne said:
For one thing, I prefers my fighting games sitting on a sofa and with a pad (I never liked the feel of arcade sticks), and with the new ones a big ass HDTV. There's also the matter of playing with your friends, which is far better done with that set-up.
Oh, I see what you mean. I don't have many IRL friends who like fighting games (or games in general, really), so there's no need for a big screen for me. Definitely give sticks another go, though. It took me almost a month to adapt, but now there's just no going back.

Black Cat

Magister
Oaken said:
You've obviously haven't gone through all the answer episodes.

You are right, indeed. I left somewhere along the begining of 2.2 or the end of 2.1, i believe, because some of the characters were really making me angry and was waiting for 2.4 to come out and be translated before going back to it. It has been a while, too, so I may have forgotten or mixed up many things.

KalosKagathos said:
There must be a rushdown character or two on the roster, but I don't know how good they'll be at getting past all that crap others can put on the screen.

From what I have seen being discused around given the game just came out, like, today, it would seem to actually be very projectile heavy, indeed. Both from the comments and the videos, however, it seems most, if not all, characters have ways of breaking through, and I remember watching Siesta rush through Virgilia's spam in a way reminiscent of Tasogare Frontier's graze move in the Touhou fighting games.

The game also seems to be pretty hardcore even on the single player campaign, given there were a couple of not weaboos getting their butts handed back at them on Easy while streaming live on, uhm, that japanese youtube like thingie. Ah, yes, Nico Nico Douga. Though I haven't watched it myself, just read about it around.

treave said:
Shannon can and does use her defensive shields to squash people to death. The lightning move is probably a call-out to the shrine mirror being 'smashed by lightning'.

Ah, you are right. When Shannon uses the lightning move it seems she even calls upon, or at least mentions, Beatrice, so maybe it is indeed reminiscent of the mirror and why it got destroyed.

desocupado said:

Well, I wouldn't call Lucifer and the Siesta girls heavily dressed, and, really, Ange's skirt is awfully short for this kind of activity she's involved in. Only the witches have those totally fabulous clothes, because they are awesome.

Felix said:
I don't get the appeal about this and higurashi except lolis being killed is kinda lulzy.

I guess it is mostly the combination of closed circle murder mystery, magical realism, and (truly) surreal weirdness, though some of the characters do get grating every now and then and I need to take a long vacation. But then I did not like Higurashi, so my likes and dislikes may not be generalized among those who follow this.

Or that plus the witches being totally awesome. :love:

Mortmal said:
I've nver heard of umineko before, i am probably too old , most of my anime references make me looks like a dinosaur.So is this show worth watching ?

It isn't really an anime. Or, at least, it wasn't, I don't know if they made an anime or not by now. It's a series of Sound Novels by 7th Expansion, which actually means they are just kind of Visual Novels with a truly awesome sound department making up for the lackluster visual one, though it looks like they finally got a very decent artist. Or, given Umineko almost complete lack of anything resembling reader interaction, I would say it's more like a japanese light novel, just on your PC and with images, voice acting, and music. And stuffies.

KalosKagathos said:

Can I watch?

Vaarna_Aarne said:

KalosKagathos said:
It lacks crazy mid-air MvC combos, though. Looks more like Melty Blood to me.

I have not played MvsC nor have I got anywhere beyond failing very much at Melty Blood so I can't say so myself from watching the videos and streams and reading the comments, but there have been some comparison between the game and both MvsC and Melty Blood in forums and imageboards while waiting for the torrent upload more news and information about the game, so I guess you two aren't that much off the mark, one way or another.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
The character design isn't much though.

A lot of really crazy and characterful Witches in cool dresses = Awesome character design, sorry.

I'm so simple minded. :cry:

Vaarna_Aarne

Black Cat said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
The character design isn't much though.

A lot of really crazy and characterful Witches in cool dresses = Awesome character design, sorry.

I'm so simple minded. :cry:
Well, I just have a big hang-up for the character design of KoF and Mortal Kombat.

Black Cat

Magister
In case someone's interested the game has been up for download for a bit now, so you can go and grab it if you want. Also, it is really pretty, the videos do not make it justice at all. The animation, also, is much smoother than it seemed on the videos. It is more than just a bit chaotic, though. At least for me it's too bloody fast. :cry:

It is hard as fuck, or i'm really rusty. The game's story mode is just a string of AI Bot battles, not anything so creative as Tasofro's puzzle battles, but those Bots really know how to play, and I don't, so screw them. It also has an online mode but so far no one in the west knows how to make it work. Long range spaming can be a problem against some characters, like Siesta, but it isn't any worse than Lucifer getting you into a stupidly long combo that switchs worlds halfway through and finishes with a pretty demolishing special attack.

All stages have a normal version and a meta version, and the characters are able to turn them at will by using certain techniques. Or at least it looks like it, but I have yet to do one of such switch myself. Where the normal versions look really pretty the meta versions look gorgeus, just like something straight out of The Dreaming or a fairy tale. And the music, as expected, is incredibly awesome.

The character rooster is not that big, however. You have, uhm, Beatrice, Evatrice, Virgilia, Kanon, Shannon, Ronove, Lucifer, Siesta, Ange, and Battler, and that's it. There's also said to be one secret character, but I do not know how to unlock her so whatever. At least all the characters they did add would at least have a fighting chance in such battles, instead of throwing in George or that retarded hotel chef guy in there just to be kicked for kicks. Most of them are really characterful, leaving aside the retarded moon rabbits and that boring Kanon guy.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Gragt said:
I'm still stuck at Waku Waku 7 :D

Holy shit, bro. Is that the game with the tank-bot piloted by a midget and a dog, that drops a large round bomb as it's super-attack? Not to mention a purple beast carrying around a little school kid? And a cute robot-maid? I've been looking for this game for ages!
Played it years ago when I was like 8-9 years old. Found it amongst my brother's rom collection.

KalosKagathos

Learned
@Black Cat:

Haven't played it for more than an hour myself, so can't tell you anything in-depth, but world switching is done by hitting all 3 attack buttons at once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom