Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Weaboo Codex] An Umineko fighting game? Really?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
For some weird reason it reminds me of Rozen Maiden.

Black Cat

Magister
KalosKagathos said:
Haven't played it for more than an hour myself, so can't tell you anything in-depth, but world switching is done by hitting all 3 attack buttons at once.

:love:

That's why you are my favourite MiniKalos.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
For some weird reason it reminds me of Rozen Maiden.

Must be the dresses.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
anus_pounder said:
Holy shit, bro. Is that the game with the tank-bot piloted by a midget and a dog, that drops a large round bomb as it's super-attack? Not to mention a purple beast carrying around a little school kid? And a cute robot-maid? I've been looking for this game for ages!
Played it years ago when I was like 8-9 years old. Found it amongst my brother's rom collection.

The same, and for Neo-Geo! And the bonus stage is a fight against a punching bag called Bonus-kun, and the last boss is a big black ball with a silly smile and stupid cute-but-scary laugh called Fernandez.

I'm not a fan of fighting games but I love that one. Probably because of all the crazy stuff happening.

waku4.gif

Felix

Arcane
lol I just played Waku Waku 7 with my cousins the other day.

Melcar

Arcane
Yeah, Waku Waku 7 is fucking awesome. Simplistic and shitty as fuck of a fighter, but awesome nonetheless.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
anus_pounder said:
It is!! I loved that game! How do I run MAME?!?

There are many versions of MAME but I prefer to use the official one. Don't let the command-line name fool you because it actually has a nice simple GUI. Many prefer to use the version with a Windows GUI but I always found it ugly and less functionnal.

Assuming you use the official binaries (you can pick the 64-bits executable if you got a 64-bits OS), here's what you can do. If you want basic use of MAME, simply unpack the binaries you downloaded somewhere and place the rom in the roms directory. Start MAME, select the rom and off you go.

Else there are ways to configure MAME if you want to improve the graphic quality. You can use the command-line but the easiest way I found is to create a config file (mame.exe -createconfig) and then edit it. You can look around the doc for some explanation on the various switches but what I change is basically set cheats to 1, prescale to 2 and triple buffering to 1. Enabling cheats is useful to be able to access the overclocking options within the emulator, which is great for a badly optimised game like Metal Slug 2.

Well that's just a lot of info. If you're not comfortable with the base MAME version, you might want to look around for MAME32 or whatever it is called these days. Else if you want some specific help, you can ask here. Heck, you can even post your mame.ini content if you feel lost.

As for the ROM, well, I know that I get mine from Underground Gamer. Mame has a handy internal verification tool to check if you got the lastest and correct version of a rom. To do that, simply make sure you got your roms in their folder and launch MAME with mame.exe -verifyroms

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
Are ya ready kids?
Aye aye Goldsmith!
I can't heeeeear you!
AYE AYE GOLDMSITH!
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
WHO LIVES ON AN ISLAND OFF BY THE SEA?
KINZO GOLDPANTS!
SPONTANEOUS AND DRUNK AND A SORCERER HE BE!
KINZO GOLDPANTS!
IF SACRIFICING YOUR FAMILY IS SOMETHING YOU WISH!
KINZO GOLDPANTS!
THEN JUMP OUT THE WINDOW AND GO FUCK A WITCH!
KINZO GOLDPANTS!
READY?!
KINZO GOLDPANTS! KINZO GOLDPANTS! KINZO GOLDPANTS!
KINZOOOOOO! GOLDPAAAAAANTS! HA! HA! HA! HA! OH DESIRE!

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks like a damn good game. I have recently played the new Street Fighter and honestly this looks better and more interesting. Dapper too.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, the only real problem with Street Fighter 4 series is that it COULD have been HD 2D... But it isn't!

KalosKagathos

Learned
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Well, the only real problem with Street Fighter 4 series is that it COULD have been HD 2D... But it isn't!
Ultras made supers redundant, the meter is only used for EX specials now. Inability to cancel into ultras makes it far easier for characters with good juggle potential to actually land the blasted things (hello, vanilla Sagat's forward+HK into ultra). Inputs for FADC should have only involved buttons (see Roman cancels in GG and Rapid cancels in BB; at least Capcom got it right with X-Factor cancels in MvC 3), as the dash part tends to screw up subsequent joystick inputs (quarter circle forward is often read as the shoryuken motion, for example).

Oh, yeah, links are the only way to combo normals for a good deal of characters. That's right, comboing LP into MP requires you to memorize arbitrary timing and takes frame-level precision. Even if Capcom felt that allowing chaining everything into anything would be too Darkstalkers in an SF game, why not give everyone a ton of target combos a la SF 3? Even that would be better than what we have now.

On a related note, while you can chain together light attack, you can't actually cancel chained attacks into anything else. Bloody WHY? Why can't Rose do a Soul Spiral after 3 crouching LPs that were chained together, if she can do it when they were linked to each other?

Someone in Capcom mistook artificial execution barriers for depth, methinks.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Black Cat said:
In case someone's interested the game has been up for download for a bit now, so you can go and grab it if you want. Also, it is really pretty, the videos do not make it justice at all. The animation, also, is much smoother than it seemed on the videos. It is more than just a bit chaotic, though. At least for me it's too bloody fast. :cry:

It is hard as fuck, or i'm really rusty. The game's story mode is just a string of AI Bot battles, not anything so creative as Tasofro's puzzle battles, but those Bots really know how to play, and I don't, so screw them. It also has an online mode but so far no one in the west knows how to make it work. Long range spaming can be a problem against some characters, like Siesta, but it isn't any worse than Lucifer getting you into a stupidly long combo that switchs worlds halfway through and finishes with a pretty demolishing special attack.

All stages have a normal version and a meta version, and the characters are able to turn them at will by using certain techniques. Or at least it looks like it, but I have yet to do one of such switch myself. Where the normal versions look really pretty the meta versions look gorgeus, just like something straight out of The Dreaming or a fairy tale. And the music, as expected, is incredibly awesome.

The character rooster is not that big, however. You have, uhm, Beatrice, Evatrice, Virgilia, Kanon, Shannon, Ronove, Lucifer, Siesta, Ange, and Battler, and that's it. There's also said to be one secret character, but I do not know how to unlock her so whatever. At least all the characters they did add would at least have a fighting chance in such battles, instead of throwing in George or that retarded hotel chef guy in there just to be kicked for kicks. Most of them are really characterful, leaving aside the retarded moon rabbits and that boring Kanon guy.

Ok, so I acquired this little puppy just to see what this is all about. It is strangely captivating in unhealthy sort of way. Quite fun to be perfectly honest (another guilty pleasure :oops:)

And some of the soundtrack is quite good though somewhat unfitting a beat'em-up game.

Here a question arises, How on Earth do you block in this game? I saw enemies do this but cannot figure out for the love of the god almighty how to make it happen.

Also, is it just me or does this game fail to identify keyboard as the major controller. I have to use my xshit pad for it to play at all.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
KalosKagathos said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Ultras made supers redundant, the meter is only used for EX specials now. Inability to cancel into ultras makes it far easier for characters with good juggle potential to actually land the blasted things (hello, vanilla Sagat's forward+HK into ultra). Inputs for FADC should have only involved buttons (see Roman cancels in GG and Rapid cancels in BB; at least Capcom got it right with X-Factor cancels in MvC 3), as the dash part tends to screw up subsequent joystick inputs (quarter circle forward is often read as the shoryuken motion, for example).

Oh, yeah, links are the only way to combo normals for a good deal of characters. That's right, comboing LP into MP requires you to memorize arbitrary timing and takes frame-level precision. Even if Capcom felt that allowing chaining everything into anything would be too Darkstalkers in an SF game, why not give everyone a ton of target combos a la SF 3? Even that would be better than what we have now.

On a related note, while you can chain together light attack, you can't actually cancel chained attacks into anything else. Bloody WHY? Why can't Rose do a Soul Spiral after 3 crouching LPs that were chained together, if she can do it when they were linked to each other?

Someone in Capcom mistook artificial execution barriers for depth, methinks.
Actually, I'd say supers were made redundant by the fact the gauge now takes multiple rounds to fill and the supers themselves are pretty weak. Actually, some characters can cancel into Ultras. Namely, Ryu and his Close HP/Crouch HP/Forward HP + Shoryuken + super or either of the ultras. And yea, the whole thing with the EX Cancel dash is extremely annoying at times, though for me it's more of the fact that there's a bad habit of there being a SECOND dash when you execute some moves.

Yea, I don't really like Capcom's emphasis on frame-level accuracy combo things, but then again I don't like combos of that type either. Pass on the good old target and cancel combos please. I guess it's just Capcom trying to make their quite frankly quite pointless medium punch/kick used more, since those only matter in their everything-chains-to-everything titles, which I don't really enjoy much (way too buttonmashy for my tastes).

Black Cat

Magister
Mrowak said:
Here a question arises, How on Earth do you block in this game? I saw enemies do this but cannot figure out for the love of the god almighty how to make it happen.

If the enemy is to the right, move left and you will block her attacks. If the enemy is to the left, move right. I would prefer a block button, myself, given it is somewhat bothersome to have to pull back to block when you, as Beatrice, and AI Virgilia are one on each corner of the screen spamming projectiles at each other while trying to block the enemy ones.

Mrowak said:
Also, is it just me or does this game fail to identify keyboard as the major controller. I have to use my xshit pad for it to play at all.

It does, actually. The game should have a key assigned to each of the combinations (A+B, B+C, A+B+C) but they actually don't work for most people, though I have seen some who made them work somehow. This makes the game basicaly unplayable on a normal keyboard, given the game has many techniques that require three or more keys being pressed at the same time and those will not register. I had to ask my brother for one of his controllers to be able to play, given otherwise I couldn't switch worlds nor use any special, just basic attacks and techniques.

Amusingly enough, once you get a controller the problem is kind of solved twice given not only you can do the combinations but you also can configure the unused buttons to act as A+B, B+C, or A+B+C, and those will work in a controller, while not in a keyboard. :roll:

But most fighting games are basicaly unplayable on a keyboard so it did not came as much of a surprise.

That aside, has anyone been able to use Ange at least to some small success? What is she suposed to be, a grappler with assists and multidirectional projectiles? WTF where they thinking! Weirdest character ever, or almost. :?

Also, Evatrice and Virgilia are quite OP. I don't mind given I'm playing this game for the witches, myself, but it's quite a diference between playing them and playing Ange or Ronove, for example, who can't do shit without a lot of practice.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Black Cat said:
Mrowak said:

If the enemy is to the right, move left and you will block her attacks. If the enemy is to the left, move right. I would prefer a block button, myself, given it is somewhat bothersome to have to pull back to block when you, as Beatrice, and AI Virgilia are one on each corner of the screen spamming projectiles at each other while trying to block the enemy ones.

Thanks for the tip. It works!!! Muhahahaha!!!

Mrowak said:

It does, actually. The game should have a key assigned to each of the combinations (A+B, B+C, A+B+C) but they actually don't work for most people, though I have seen some who made them work somehow. This makes the game basicaly unplayable on a normal keyboard, given the game has many techniques that require three or more keys being pressed at the same time and those will not register. I had to ask my brother for one of his controllers to be able to play, given otherwise I couldn't switch worlds nor use any special, just basic attacks and techniques.

Amusingly enough, once you get a controller the problem is kind of solved twice given not only you can do the combinations but you also can configure the unused buttons to act as A+B, B+C, or A+B+C, and those will work in a controller, while not in a keyboard. :roll:

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Saves you a lot of trouble with grapling and shifting dimensions.

On the side note, shifting dimension and the depiction of the other reality - darn, that's impressive. Really it's worth playing this just to see visuals.

But most fighting games are basicaly unplayable on a keyboard so it did not came as much of a surprise.

Yeah but it would still be useful to have ability to use it. Otherwise you need to pads to play with someone else.

That aside, has anyone been able to use Ange at least to some small success? What is she suposed to be, a grappler with assists and multidirectional projectiles? WTF where they thinking! Weirdest character ever, or almost. :?

Also, Evatrice and Virgilia are quite OP. I don't mind given I'm playing this game for the witches, myself, but it's quite a diference between playing them and playing Ange or Ronove, for example, who can't do shit without a lot of practice.

All characters in the game seem to be imbalanced powerwise. The older witches beat the crap out of everyone. Eva and Virgilia are especially murderous but Beatrice follows them close and then that Battler fellow. Kanon is surprisingly strong as well.

And yeah, Ronove and Angie suck arse in comaprison with the rest.

Perhaps I'm wrong given I only played little and in reality fighter games are not my cup of tea.

Still this thing has very eerie charm to it. I'll give it a better spin tomorrow.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Actually, some characters can cancel into Ultras. Namely, Ryu and his Close HP/Crouch HP/Forward HP + Shoryuken + super or either of the ultras.
No. You can super cancel a Shoryuken, but to combo into an Ultra you have to FADC it, then juggle.

Also, people deciding tier lists 3 days after the release of a game ITT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom