Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Well I gave it a try...

tomdressen

Novice
I tried the game after seeing someone raving about it on another board.

The first time I entered combat, the game crashed Win2000 Pro forcing me to reboot. I was not impressed.

Shareware authors rarely get a chance to make a FIRST impression, I'm certainly not going to give it a SECOND.

Tom

Deathy

Liturgist
So you read the bit where they say that Windows 2000 isn't supported, huh?

If you're that annoyed, think about all the commercial games that do the same thing.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sounds to me like someone needs to buy a console. Like Deathy said, even those lovely $50 commercial, off the shelf games crash - especially the nice 3D ones. In fact, the only recent games I've had that have never crashed would be the Spiderweb games, and they're fairly simple in terms of their graphics. Avernum series use GDI for drawing, if I'm not mistaken.

Jed

Cipher
Somebody's missing out on one the great games of this year. I just registered last night, and worth every penny.

Jed

LCJr.

Erudite
Actually what the page says is "(Prelude does not Officially support Windows 2000, but it usually works)"

I use W2K Pro also and couldn't keep it running for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time before it would massively flake out. I was able to get out of it a several times but gave up after the second time I had to do a reboot. Sorry I'm going to risk corrupting my data for an unstable game. Maybe I should buy a console too huh?

XJEDX I think you missed the really missed the point. If the game doesn't run on your system its not going to be "the greatest game of the year" from your viewpoint.

WildBill

Novice
win

SP made a good point. Large development houses like EA can't guarantee stability across all those stupid windows operating systems. So how can a small company do what million-dollar development budgets cannot?

Fact is that you have to put some fo the blame on the people who release 3 incompatible operating systems per year. Win2000 is, in microsoft's own words, not recommended for gaming. I have no idea about XP Pro ( 'Pro' usually means that you pay more for the same thing). But binaries are not completely compatible across all the different windoze variants, especially when DirectX and 3D acceleration is taken into account.

As as for crashes trashing your data, maybe it's time to move to a grown-up OS like solaris, NetBSD, OSX or linux. If you use windows that's what you get (along with tons of worms and viruses). Your choice of OS is indeed _your_ choice.

Maybe ZS should release for console.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
tomdressen said:
The first time I entered combat, the game crashed Win2000 Pro forcing me to reboot. I was not impressed.

Shareware authors rarely get a chance to make a FIRST impression, I'm certainly not going to give it a SECOND.

Well, Tom, here is the thing. As Saint_Proverbius pointed out, there are very few games that don't crash. It's a shame that the game crashed before you had a chance to enjoy it, but it happens every now and then.

However, what made me reply to your post is curiousity regarding your attitude. Unless you are a professional drama queen, stop making these ridiculous comments like "...rarely get a chance to make a FIRST impression, I'm certainly not going to give it a SECOND."

Relax, dude, and give hardworking people of Zero-Sum a break. If somebody in gaming industry deserves a second and may be even a third chance, it's a shareware developer who gives you a chance to play a game before you buy it so you can be absolutely sure that both you and your OS like the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom