Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood - action-RPG adaptation from Cyanide

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In fact I had to cut my hair short because it was falling too much due to stress.
20307.jpg

You did p nice job.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Another old-ish interview.

Really, biggest reason for concern at the moment is that it's been a month or so since the deal was struck, and it's clear devs have no clear vision what the game is going to be like.
http://www.gamewatcher.com/interviews/werewolf-the-apocolypse-interview/12793

I attended the What’s Next de Focus event last week and had the opportunity to talk to some of the team that is working on Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Unfortunately, the game was not available to play at the event so please bear that in mind when reading this interview.

This was one of the strangest interviews I’ve ever had for a number of reasons. I was paired with another journalist, a journalist who happened to know an awful lot about the Werewolf series. I barely understood what Martin Elricsson had to say, mainly because the world of Werewolf is massive and, well, I don’t know anything about it. Also, the game is very early on it its development, so don’t be surprised to look back on this interview and be disappointed if something doesn’t make it into this game.

GameWatcher: Could we just get you to introduce yourself for us, please?

Martin Elricsson: I am Martin Elricsson, I am the Lead Storyteller of White Wolf, the reformed White Wolf. For years, we were owned by CCP, to do with the MMO World of Darkness, I worked as Senior Content in that and it completely broke my heart when that project went downhill, as some computer game projects do, of course. We left with a treasure of concept art and ideas, but now we are our own thing. We are financed by the Paradox group, we are not owned by Paradox but the money comes from the same place. We are very clear that we need to be our own thing in order to do our mature and complex stories about monsters hidden among us.

Martin Elricsson: Are you familiar with Vampire: The Masquerade?

GameWatcher: Somewhat, yes…

Martin Elricsson: This started in 1991 as a pen and paper table top roleplaying game which became the second bestselling roleplaying game during the 90s, after Dungeons and Dragons. Of course, it’s a game that pulls in a lot of women, a lot of goths and people with alternative lifestyles. It’s one integrated universe of monsters hidden among us, manipulating politics and being affected by us. It’s our world but under the surface, the nightmares are boiling. Twenty-five years later, we are updating the whole universe for contemporary times. Continuing the same stories that began in the 90s, we are now in the age of the apocalypse, we are in the end age.

The central question of Werewolves, “When will you rage? When have you had enough?” Our werewolves are nature’s revenge. They are born werewolves, they come from a tribal society that stretches back to the dawn of history. They were set on earth by Gaia, the living planet via the immune system of the ecosystem, if you want. For thousands of years they hunted us and made sure we stayed in small family groups, but they are both man and wolf. They were culling the herd and making sure we didn’t fuck up, but they showed us mercy, they kind of fell in love with us. They said, ‘let’s give the monkeys a shot’, let them have their time and see what they can build. Now, many thousand years later, they are severely regretting that decision. The thirteen tribes of the werewolves are now on the cusp of renewing the culling of humans.

The discussion is of course between the Red Talons and the Children of Gaia. This game is about the balance between wisdom and rage, it’s about saving the world but also asks what is the price of saving the world with violent activist action? It is clearly a game that reflects a lot of huge questions that are here and now, and that’s always what White Wolf has done with all of their games. The vampires explored the temptations of power and the temptations of variolation and being a predator on other human beings, so you could call them the 1% if you want. Of course, the werewolves struggle with the problem of violent activism; when is enough, enough? When will you rage? Our werewolves are deeply spiritual, they smell and feel and talk to nature in ways that humans can only dream of. To them a city is repugnant, unless they have lived in it their whole lives. Unless a werewolf is from the Glasswalker Tribe or from the Bone Gnawers Tribe, they often move out of the city into compounds or separate activist compounds. They may live outside in treehouses; the way protesters do. They are quite dangerous hippies, if hippies were three meters tall, had big claws, and had no moral qualms about killing humans. Not all werewolves think the best way forward is war against the humans. There’s the Glasswalkers, that believe technology can show us the way out. They would be highly supportive, or even be Elon Musk and Tesla and so on, having the idea that we can still change, we still have hope. But all of these different causes that the tribes represent give them conflict with each other but also with us and the shit we do.

This game will be set in North America, which is of course a place of great turmoil and great economic devastation. It’s the north part of the continent where you have fracking, you have polar ice caps melting, you have native reservations being infringed upon, you have pipelines, so there’s plenty of room for exciting conflicts that take place in pristine wilderness.

Random Journalist: To what extent do you see this game as a political statement?

Martin Elricsson: It’s a question, that’s the way I see it. It’s playing with the big question: What is the price of saving the world? They are monsters, but at the same time, they are kind of right! I think games have a unique position to ask questions rather than to make very blunt statements. It’s more interesting to explore this question than to make statements about them. Our Garou, our werewolves, they are surely on the side of civilisation, but what is the human cost? It’s also about their relationship to the spiritual world, because they are a shamanistic culture that see everything as alive. They talk to the spirits of extinct species, to ally with them to gain powerful gifts. A badger spirit could give them the ability to lock their jaws forcefully, whereas the oak tree spirit could armour their hide… so they do that verbal negotiation with nature.

Random Journalist: This also comes at a price, right?

Martin Elricsson: Maybe the blood of the loggers that have been cutting down the oak forest for instance, the spirits are not nice. The werewolves are nature, red in tooth and claw. They are not cuddly, furry Captain Planet heroes, they are also monsters. Where is the border between being a fighter for the ecology and being an outright terrorist? It’s not easy. The World of Darkness has never been an easy place. That’s kind of the point! It’s not the World of Slight Dimness. We take serious questions. A lot of the IPs that have dealt with werewolves and vampires have been teen oriented, they have been very safe and quite nice, this is not that. Twenty plus is our audience. Not only because werewolves rip private security forces to pieces and limbs are flying, but because the questions are sophisticated, and we don’t want to give easy answers. It’s not a good and evil proposition.

Random Journalist: Is there much of a role for the Weaver?

Martin Elricsson: The Weaver is the force of order and technology; law versus the creative chaos of nature. Some werewolves are hedging their bets that the Weaver can help them. There are different opinions on it. Some werewolves, like the Glasswalkers, talk to Weaver spirits, they talk to the spirits of machines, they speak to the spirits of the web. So they believe they still have the chance to do it. They are progressives that are working within the technological field.

Random Journalist: Can the player play as any of those tribes?

Martin Elricsson: You have to realise it’s been two weeks since we signed this, so it’s a bit too early to say that, but the core setting is the wilderness that is being encroached upon. Maybe there will be missions that take you to the city and so on, but in essence it’s a game about the wild. The wild in you and the wild you defend, so that gives us possibilities for vibrant landscapes, projecting into the spiritual shadow with The Umbra will give us the ability to have wild and trippy visuals. It can be a rich game in the way that a lot of horror games can be a bit drab, this can go all the way in beauty.

Random Journalist: How do you imagine this game?

Martin Elricsson: I think the veil is thicker today than it was in the nineties. We want to root this in the old shamanist traditions, so if I was to project into The Umbra as a werewolf I would maybe suspend myself in hooks and do the sun dance, or eat mushrooms, or use shamanistic methods to project into The Umbra, but it will be possible. Stepping in and out quickly during combat and so on, that is maybe something that is not super interesting to us now. In the combat, the shapeshifting is the key mechanic. Building up rage to shift into Crinos and then maybe regret the consequences of doing that at the wrong time, it’s like setting off a nuclear bomb.

Random Journalist: To what extent would you like this to be a combat game?

Martin Elricsson: Werewolf is a game about savage horror, and it has visceral combat at the core of it. Sure, there are lots of tribal politics, there’s loads of big political and philosophical questions, and that needs to be there in dialog, but the combat has to be kick-ass and action-RPG focused. I have a hard time seeing this as turn-based, I have a hard time seeing this as third person from above, we want to be in there, very close, and feeling the popping of bones, the shifting and tearing of flesh. It is the most combat centric game of the World of Darkness, and that’s how it should be.

KILLER BEAR

Educated
So the guy is the Lead Storyteller in White Wolf but do we know his position on Cyanide? Is he the creative director for the Werewolf game?

the_1990

Educated
Well the article talks about how werewolves are considering reconquering humanity and being their masters again.

Hawt.

In all seriousness I'm kind of bothered by this. I can't think one title they've published that has had mod-support.

the_1990

Educated
Still maintain my belief that Bethesda would have been the best people to handle a new World of Darkness game, even more so now after the success of Enderal.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I really want a "real" WoD game with the underlying desperation, hopelessness and the almost impossible to achieve hopeful goal of the "good guys". Is that even possible? With VtMTB we got there to an extent. With Werewolf its harder but still doable.

the_1990

Educated
Still maintain my belief that Bethesda would have been the best people to handle a new World of Darkness game, even more so now after the success of Enderal.
what success?

It's an amazing piece of work, an entire extra game completely for free for anyone who bought Skyrim, Bethesda is the only RPG making company that produces games where that kind of project is possible.

Remember the whole point of World of Darkness is that the people draw material from the game's lore to tell their own stories which they share with their friends, the closest a video game comes to that is providing mod support, the company that does that best for RPGs is Bethesda.

Ergo: Bethesda should make a World of Darkness game.

Lambach

Arcane
I really want a "real" WoD game with the underlying desperation, hopelessness and the almost impossible to achieve hopeful goal of the "good guys". Is that even possible? With VtMTB we got there to an extent. With Werewolf its harder but still doable.

Nah, Werewolf is basically just grittier D&D. Any remotely serious introspective, writing-based game would have to be based on Vampire.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A game featuring the post-millenial (2002 onwards or so) travails of a group social misfits who happen to be also cRPG enthusiasts would offer such setup with ease.

World of Decline (tm).

the_1990

Educated
Some Dev said:
So it’s not Captain Planet. It’s nature red in tooth and claw.

Actually it is when you get down to it, just Captain Planet with Furries.

the next logical step is to add a Hitler death-stare:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
what success?

It's an amazing piece of work, an entire extra game completely for free for anyone who bought Skyrim, Bethesda is the only RPG making company that produces games where that kind of project is possible.

Remember the whole point of World of Darkness is that the people draw material from the game's lore to tell their own stories which they share with their friends, the closest a video game comes to that is providing mod support, the company that does that best for RPGs is Bethesda.

Ergo: Bethesda should make a World of Darkness game.
the mod was incompatible with virtually every other mod. the mod was itself not modular. the mod suffered from cut scenes. i remember giving up on it very fast, but that's just me. what's important is that the mod cannot be called successful since it was for free. there is nothing to indicate how many people would have paid for it. the mod also offered an inferior experience to skyrim with other mods including but not restricted to loverslab mods (the way skyrim is meant to be played). the mod doesn't even have a thread here on the codex as far as i know, unlike requiem. and last but not least, as far as i know the mod did not change the flawed skyrim combat.

the_1990

Educated
the mod was incompatible with virtually every other mod. the mod was itself not modular. the mod suffered from cut scenes. i remember giving up on it very fast, but that's just me. what's important is that the mod cannot be called successful since it was for free. there is nothing to indicate how many people would have paid for it. the mod also offered an inferior experience to skyrim with other mods including but not restricted to loverslab mods (the way skyrim is meant to be played). the mod doesn't even have a thread here on the codex as far as i know, unlike requiem. and last but not least, as far as i know the mod did not change the flawed skyrim combat.

futurama-fry-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Also:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ew-project-enderal-the-shards-of-order.73191/

The mod is considered by most to improve upon Skyrim in virtually every way.

Also the fact that you think any mod at all is essential to a better Skyrim experience proves my point about Bioware's approach to modding.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

futurama-fry-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Also:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ew-project-enderal-the-shards-of-order.73191/

The mod is considered by most to improve upon Skyrim in virtually every way.

Also the fact that you think any mod at all is essential to a better Skyrim experience proves my point about Bioware's approach to modding.
most what? the thread has 7 pages and was dead at birth.
have you actually read the thread?
virtually everyone except fluent says it did not save skyrim.
some say it lacks content, others make my point about the combat.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Short interview: http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2017/061417b.html

Werewolf: The Apocalypse Impression - E3

It's damn near impossible to give all the background inherent in the World of Darkness, a staple of role-playing games for over twenty years, originating as tabletop games and having since stretched well outside of those bonds. The world is vast, and is perhaps known best in the realm of video games for the cult favorite Vampire: The Masquerade series. Taking place in the same fictional universe, Werewolf: The Apocalypse has its own tabletop beginnings, and is now being developed as an interactive game by the team at Cyanide. I had the chance to sit with Julien Desourteaux, a director on the project, and discuss some of the inner workings behind this game, and the universe as a whole.

The first lesson I learned from Julien: forget everything you ever thought you knew about werewolves in popular culture. World of Darkness follows its own strict designs and ruleset on the subject. In this universe, werewolves — Garou, as they are called in the lore — are the guardians of nature, "eco terrorists" as Julien jokingly calls them, whose goal it is to preserve nature and protect it from its imminent destruction at the hands of Homids — humans — amongst others.

The next thing I wanted to know is what was putting nature in such danger in this world? This question is not easily answered; the vast World of Darkness universe sees humans and supernatural beings exist side-by-side, and includes certain metaphysical concepts that have taken on an almost tangible shape — living metaphors. For example, the balance between man's expansion and nature has come to be called The Great Wyrm, and it is precisely this Great Wyrm that has turned its back on creation and engineered the game's titular apocalypse. This threat to existence, as well as mankind's general ongoing destruction of nature, is what the werewolves are sworn to protect.

Make no mistake: these werewolves may not follow lunar cycles or be the beasts we've come to know them as, but that doesn't make them any less ferocious as adversaries. The conceptual artwork Julien shared with me depicted violent, savage creatures who are not to be taken lightly. To ordinary humans, they are still the same feral creatures they've always been. This is evident in the game's combat system, which revolves around Rage Management, a way for the werewolves to control their fury. Powerful opponents by default, if a werewolf loses control, he goes into a frenzy. This gives him the advantage of making him significantly more lethal, but leaves him unable to distinguish friend from foe, turning his rage onto anyone near him. This can even happen outside of combat; should a werewolf be provoked into a frenzy during dialog, he may well rip the conversation partner limb from limb.

Of course, acting as a werewolf is only part of the game. As anyone knows, hidden within their furry shell is a human being, and when not transformed, that human is able to do some things the werewolves cannot, like stealthily sneaking and interacting with the environment in certain ways. Since the game has a modern-day setting, this includes operating computers. Due to the Garou's connection to nature, they can also tap into a spiritual power, the game's version of "magic", to give them yet another edge.

The World of Darkness is vast, and this presentation barely scratched the surface of it. The game is still in its earliest stages of development — in fact, this E3 is one of the first times it's been unveiled to the public in any capacity — so the team at Cyanide was unable to share much in the way of assets. There is no word as of yet of a targeted release date or platforms. However, the team is aiming to create an action RPG that is as user-friendly to newcomers as it is pleasing to long-time fans of the universe. Look for more information on Werewolf: The Apocalypse in the near future.

the_1990

Educated
You know that Enderal was not made by Bethesda, right?

Right?

No, but their approach towards modding enabled a talented, passionate team of individuals working in their free time to bring us Enderal.

Just imagine if the Witcher had proper modding tools, and similarly enterprising molders like SureAI got their hands on those, imagine the :incline:!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom