Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are some great MAME games?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Battletoads YES.

Early 3D beat'ups suffer from slow speed, bad camera and overall clunkiness but Die Hard Arcade is a glorious exception to the rule - meaty moveset, fast-paced combat, excellent controls mad this geam worthy successor of its 2D bros. Since Saturn emulation still sucks ass MAME is the only way to go. Its only flaws are QTE's (in 1996!) and blocky graphics but gameplay mechanics is so good that they don't really matter.

Die_Hard_Arcade_-_1997_-_Sega.jpg

Cannon Spike vel Gunspike is an awesum top-down shooter with characters from various Capcom games, I recommend it especially to Take No Prisoners and Shumps fans - CS/GS is like something between them:
Gun_Spike_-_2000_-_Psikyo.jpg

cannonspike-05.png

And if you manage to run this one below you'll have a lot of fun , it's a hell worth of try. Spawn is basically and arena deathmatch (botmach) seen in third person perspective, a heavy PC-centric geam. Personally I haven't manage to run it a few yeas ago on MAME but there is an alternative in decent Dreamcast port.

ps2-795-21311370678.jpg

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Early 3D beat'ups suffer from slow speed, bad camera and overall clunkiness but Die Hard Arcade is a glorious exception to the rule - meaty moveset, fast-paced combat, excellent controls mad this geam worthy successor of its 2D bros. Since Saturn emulation still sucks ass MAME is the only way to go. Its only flaws are QTE's (in 1996!) and blocky graphics but gameplay mechanics is so good that they don't really matter.

Die_Hard_Arcade_-_1997_-_Sega.jpg

Its sequel Dynamite Cop was great too,I don't know if they have managed to emulate it with MAME properly

A user named cat

The only gaem in existence that reached similar level of quality is Cadillacs & Dinousars:

7231544fbd200a0e79130c3dddcd214da4c4_33.png
Just played through that yesterday actually. Pretty fun still.

Most of players know Battletoads as NES platformer infamous of its brutally hard difficulty but this one is 1994 arcade game beat'em up with violent/gory finishing moves. It's pretty obscure for a RARE game though. Do not be deceived by its cartoonish look, B1994's just one big splatter massacre.

Battletoads_arcade.png
This is one of those games that is finicky in MAME. For anyone wanting to play it, make sure to also grab bsmt200.bin (Google it) and just stick the zip in the same folder as the game. If it still doesn't run, try grabbing the game off a different site.

There are a few others which will require extra files like that in order to run, so keep your Google Fu ready. They're usually for audio emulation.

Also this game, along with others like from Midway, are way too quiet in MAME. So hit tab and go to slider settings after starting the game, then adjust to 2.00db for each channel and it should save.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Not exactly about MAME but someone remade and improved the Outrun engine and it’s a pleasure to play the game that way; aside from fixing some bugs, it’s just the right blend of enhancements and faithfulness. You need the original ROMs to play it.

687474703a2f2f322e62702e626c6f6773706f742e636f6d2f2d6b56304e31397a71324f4d2f5550784b526673656148492f41414141414141414168672f434f334e454d6261487a632f73313630302f68697265735f6d6f64652e706e67

https://github.com/djyt/cannonball/wiki

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO DIEHARD ARCADE RUNS LIKE ASS IN MAME FOR ME BUT GREAT IN SSF

SATURN ENULATUIN IS A LITTLE HIT AND MISS BUT IVR GOT PLENTY OF GAMES RUNNING FINE

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Wow, what a response. Thanks a lot everyone. There has been a much bigger and better amount of recommendations done than I ever imagined. Pretty awesome. What’s also awesome is to play a lot of the classics I remember seeing and sometimes even having played in the arcades back when. Many of whom have aged considerably well. The art of 2d games especially has hardly been surpassed. The amount of amazing fighters is also a big surprise. Capcom was king here in the west and with the NeoGeo being bloody expensive I pretty much only knew fighting games like the many Street Fighters. To find out there are so many more, with some even better than those classics is amazing. Games like Last Blade II and Garou: Mark of the Wolves are any way as good as the classic SF games. Also nice to finally be able to play SFIII: 3rd Strike. Awesome stuff.

Pretty much everything good has already been mentioned, but I just want to add a bit of further incline here. At the MAME ADDICTS forums there is a pretty decent thread with game recommendations with good descriptions thrown in. Check it out: http://mameaddicts.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=271

Thanks to this and that thread I now have got a MAME library up and running with games like Parodius, Last Blade 1+2, Cadlillacs and Dinosaurs, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Windjammers, The Punisher, Metal Slug and Spy Hunter. I'm sure I'll find many more new favs.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LAST BLADE IS MY FAVORITE FIGHTER BUT HERE UIS ONE THAT STANDS OUT BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY ONE AS WELL ANIMATED AS SF3

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Here's a good Contra and Metal Slug-ish run and gun shooter(has the same graphic style as the latter)

The original isn't too shabby either.

The two helicopter shmups Twin Eagle were mentioned previously, here's another pair of helicopter shmups.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I would recommend the few Cave shooters that made it on Mame as well, especially DoDonPachi. Awesome 2D graphics, great art direction and no bullshit hentai crap (lol) like their more recent shooters.

A particularly classy early Cave offering is Guwange.

I'm partial to Raizing shmups though, probably my favourite is their first game, called Sorcer Striker in the west (Mahou Daisakusen); it's got an awesome soundtrack, great background interactivity and tons of personality, plus it spawned a lot of sequels, most notably Dimahoo:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I like Cave because i know hipster faggots want to be different and think stuff like DoDonPachi is beneath their superior tastes.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Here's one of my top arcade favorites, I would actually go the local arcade to just play this game back in the day. You play as four distinct characters, two humans and two predators.

And here's another decent beat 'em up.

circ

Arcane
A lot of SNK games, let me try and remember a few...

Metal Slug +sequels
Alpha Mission
Samurai Shodown
Art of Fighting
Fatal Fury
King of Fighters
Last Resort
World Heroes

Not SNK, forget developers/publishers

Bionic Commando
R-Type
Salamander
Galaxian/Galaga
Elevator Action (think there were sequels too..)
Rolling Thunder I/II
Side Arms
Strider
Shinobi
Asteroids (remake is more interesting: Blasteroids)
Xenophobe
Solomon's Key
Dig Dug
Mr Do's Castle
Golden Axe
Gauntlet
Street Fighter II
Space Harrier
Rastan Saga

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
A lot of SNK games, let me try and remember a few...

Metal Slug +sequels
Alpha Mission
Samurai Shodown
Art of Fighting
Fatal Fury
King of Fighters
Last Resort
World Heroes

Not SNK, forget developers/publishers

Bionic Commando
R-Type
Salamander
Galaxian/Galaga
Elevator Action (think there were sequels too..)
Rolling Thunder I/II
Side Arms
Strider
Shinobi
Asteroids (remake is more interesting: Blasteroids)
Xenophobe
Solomon's Key
Dig Dug
Mr Do's Castle
Golden Axe
Gauntlet
Street Fighter II
Space Harrier
Rastan Saga

Yup.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Here's several games from the third person shooting gallery genre(not many of these kinds of games exist).

And lastly, we have one of the greatest oddball arcade classics ever made, Alligator Hunt, that takes this genre into whole new territory. This involves two skateboarding kids whom end up piloting starfighters against alien alligators.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Updated my "must play 7th times" list.

Battle Garegga.

Everythings seems to be all right for a shooter. Difficulty is on a good level. But here comes the level 4, with the boss that takes tons of ammo and has eye raping attacks. Later on he makes a come back as a mid boss. Plust the soundtrack is awesome. Many games from the subgenre don't have memorable tracks but this one is great. Rule #1 - Don't blink!

rR51ml9.jpg

5xOd1s9.jpg

uyPtbQe.jpg

Hi there little fellow, It will just take a minute or two.

3yq3Yxc.jpg

:shredder:

9Inpza8.jpg

RF5iTOT.jpg

Here is the soundtrack.

Old One

Arcane
Joust, a timeless classic.
Krull, especially if you enjoy the movie.
My favorite fighting game was Yee-Ar Kung Fu.

I always liked Discs of Tron, but I'm not sure it's playable because it had a special dial controller for aiming. You could turn it left and right, but you could also pull it up and push it down to aim up or down. Maybe someone has figured out a way to simulate that by now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom