Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ What are the best storyfag JRPGs?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Anything From Software if you don't like when things are spelled out for you as if you're 5 years old.

:troll:

Swigen

Arbiter
Ohhhhhh! Just remembered, Corpse Party! That’s like the storyfaggiest jrpg I’ve ever played and I finished it so it must be good!

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most of these suggestions are complete shit do you even know what a good story is half of you.

Radiant Historia/Nier as some mentioned are really the peak, but games like those and Trails from the Sky are honestly really rare, there's a lot more games like Golden Sun that you go "oh a story was there" but it was cliche and not memorable.

Yakuza series certainly fills the *story* part, although not so much the JRPG part.

Last edited:

cosmicray

Savant
Avoid Persona 3 and 4 like a plague unless you like emo boys and dream of getting a langschwang between your apfelpfannkuchens.
Bullshit. You can make an argument about almost any JRPG that way. If you want storyfagging, Persona 3-5 is the way to go. At least worth trying. Maybe it's not "niche" enough here to recommend, but I will stand by my opinion.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Avoid Persona 3 and 4 like a plague unless you like emo boys and dream of getting a langschwang between your apfelpfannkuchens.
Bullshit. You can make an argument about almost any JRPG that way. If you want storyfagging, Persona 3-5 is the way to go. At least worth trying. Maybe it's not "niche" enough here to recommend, but I will stand by my opinion.
1515186685627.gif

Yeah, doesn't look emo to me at all!

Swigen

Arbiter
1515186685627.gif

Not any more emo den dis....
MI0002113690.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
1515186685627.gif

Not any more emo den dis....
MI0002113690.jpg
Ahh, the lifeless look meme.

Try reaching this first.
law.jpg

cosmicray

Savant
One character who doesn't even talk or have much personality because assumed it is you. That's the best you've come up with?
And here I though you were talking about about something more meaningful rather than "emo look".

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
One character who doesn't even talk or have much personality because assumed it is you. That's the best you've come up with?
And here I though you were talking about about something more meaningful rather than "emo look".
Emo look wouldn't bother me too much if the game offered more than visual novel shit combined with boring generated dungeons that pale in comparison even with P2 (which had terrible dungeon design).

cosmicray

Savant
It seems I'm one of the few who liked Tartarus dungeons. :)
Still, Persona 4 have better of everything. It's a good place to start. And I like visual novel shit.

Cromwell

Arcane
It seems I'm one of the few who liked Tartarus dungeons. :)
Still, Persona 4 have better of everything. It's a good place to start. And I like visual novel shit.

cant speak to 4 but 3 is shit. Story is slow as fuck and gameplay is boring. If you want persona and have ps3 or 4 go for p5.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played some of the more entry-level JRPGs like Chrono Trigger..
Not a proper JRPG, however, If you don't mind text adventures, and considering you've played Chrono Trigger, Radical Dreamers might catch ur interest. There's even a direct citation from Stephen King's The Dark Tower around.

I wrote a post about Persona 2: EP some time ago. TLDR Persona 2 is the kind of game where story is the only asset that really keeps a player pushing forward.

Xenogears is another jrpg you have to tap into your storyfag willpower in order to actually get throught it. Is heavily inspired by Freudian psychology and the "God is dead" statement from Nietzche, plus a evangelion fetish. The main character is schizophrenic and most guys from the playable cast are nothing short of messed ups too. The first half of the second disc kinda becomes a Visual Novel btw (they got a pretty tight budget because FF8 was in development at that time too), which curiously resembles the narrative approach of the ending chapters of envangelion anime. Is also quite fond of throwing a barrage of plot twists towards ur face, one after another. Yasunori Mitsuda's work is incredible, as always.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Isn't that most JRPGs? Hell, you'd probably have an easier time pointing out JRPGs that put focus on actual systems, difficulty and mastery thereof.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xenogears. I’ve just recently started Trails in the Sky SC as well and while cute, I can’t help but think Xenogears deals with a lot of the same themes but does it in a far more mature and exciting way.
because xenogears is alot compressed. Trails series, especially sky are a bit of slow burn. Shit gets real in crossbell and coldsteel saga.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Vagrant Story
FF series
Shadow Hearts
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
Persona/SMT
Xenogears

Just felt like listing those. A few are mechanically solid as well, but the story is what you are playing for. In the case of FF we used to play to get to the next cut scene at times.

Ysaye

Arbiter
If you are after something which is just a weird dark sci-fi story that breaks the fourth wall combined with "I don't know what you call those mechanics!?" battle mechanics try Ar Nosurge.

Isn't that most JRPGs? Hell, you'd probably have an easier time pointing out JRPGs that put focus on actual systems, difficulty and mastery thereof.

Yes but there are heaps that don't even have a story that are worth the effort; I took the idea of this thread of being able to be guided away from those ones....

Reinhardt

Arcane
try Ar Nosurge.
Actually playing it right now. I really like one pair of protagonists - Cass and Delta. And Nay. Especially Nay. But Ion "let's all be friends" and her robot are pure cancer. There is fucking war and genocide underway, but she's just running around and spewing banal "we can solve everything if we talk with each other". They are killing any motivation to play when i forced to switch to their side.

And it's from someone who loves Gust games and Ar series.

Ysaye

Arbiter
try Ar Nosurge.
Actually playing it right now. I really like one pair of protagonists - Cass and Delta. And Nay. Especially Nay. But Ion "let's all be friends" and her robot are pure cancer. There is fucking war and genocide underway, but she's just running around and spewing banal "we can solve everything if we talk with each other". They are killing any motivation to play when i forced to switch to their side.

And it's from someone who loves Gust games and Ar series.

I kind of know what you mean - I would sort of argue though that she is revealed to be in a dark place pyschologically later in the game which is probably linked to the whole overly-optimistic thing she has got going and the link with Nay that you are probably aware of from the early game....

Personally I felt Delta was a bit of a douche early on and was ready to give up on him but he sort of picks up a bit later.

Overall I thought the game was good though (no game is perfect), hence why I threw it up as a suggestion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom