Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you call this fucking annoying accent?

Cadmus

Arcane
Guys what the fuck is with the accents in this game? Ciri has it the worst, Yen just a little bit, Keira is horrible (that why I decided to
fucking murder her
it's like an american accent trying to sound British or sophisticated or something. I can't stand it.

That queen regent in Game of Cocks also has it. It doesn't sound natural at all, only annoying. Is this how some people really speak?
I wish there was a Czech dub again :(

Please no spoilers, I'm lvl 19 but many quests are still unresolved.

Cadmus

Arcane
Jesus christ, you're an idiot. RP is a real accent that is taught in the finest british schools, used on bbc, and by royal family. In fact, the use of RP by those characters is a fantastic example of characterization in this game. Here, do something about your ignorance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation
I know what RP is and that sounds nothing like RP, more like fake shit attempt at RP by americans, so again I'm asking if anybody actually speaks like this or only pretentious failures.
EDIT: why the fuck would even a peasant raised girl like Ciri even speak like this when she lives among the shittiest population of thieves and unclefucker mongrels, no matter if she's a princes or not.

Last edited:

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Only english and irish stage actors, actually trained to speak in RP/neutral. But I guess you know better anyway, so let me level with you. NO man potato cannot into real english and it's fitting, retarded failure of an accent to retarded failure of a game.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Brits and Irish actors that sound american while they are trying to speak with an RP accent.

I'm done here.

Perkel

Arcane
Maybe you should switch to potato mode with eng subtitles ? It is the best version in therms of voice work and how players should play their game.

Cadmus

Arcane
Maybe you should switch to potato mode with eng subtitles ? It is the best version in therms of voice work and how players should play their game.
But eh....Potato sounds mentally challenged, retarded, redneck idiot illiterate monkey to me. I can't help it.

Azarkon

Arcane
It helps you believe that this is medieval Europe and not 2015 San Francisco.

I know, stupid, but Hollywood.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A propos accents: While I really loved the Nilfgaardian accent, I hated the Skellige one. Wtf is this supposed to be? A weird congestion of Scandinavian people trying to speak english and Irish?

Beggar

Cipher
All this accent bullshit gives cancer. Well, if you are a simple man then you'll speak as american. But if you're lady/peasant/troll/alien etc - british accent. It's so dumb and uncreative:bunkertime:

English accents give me hemorrhoids.

Except for this one.

That's a Yorkshire accent or an attempt at one and being a Yorkshireman myself I can say that Harry Enfield pretty much nails our blunt arrogant early 20th century attitude.
A typical night out in a Yorkshire city or town sounds a bit like this...

A propos accents: While I really loved the Nilfgaardian accent, I hated the Skellige one. Wtf is this supposed to be? A weird congestion of Scandinavian people trying to speak english and Irish?

I think most of the Skelligers are supposed to be Northern Irish or Nord Iron like Cerys.

I do actually like the accents in the game, the educated characters tend to speak in the universal RP with slight regional variants, Radovid and Djkstra (Yorkshire) have strong accents but pronounce their words properly, as does the Baron (Black country). The sorcresses are upper class twits (especially Phillipa with the lisp). Whereas the common folk usually just talk shit in regional accents, whilst the dwarves are Scotch and the elves are posh hoiti- toiti twats.

The American accents do jar, though I can handle Geralt for the "I'm too old for this shit." weariness, Triss' accent is like so valley girl, it's off putting.

Cadmus

Arcane

I think most of the Skelligers are supposed to be Northern Irish or Nord Iron like Cerys.

I do actually like the accents in the game, the educated characters tend to speak in the universal RP with slight regional variants, Radovid and Djkstra (Yorkshire) have strong accents but pronounce their words properly, as does the Baron (Black country). The sorcresses are upper class twits (especially Phillipa with the lisp). Whereas the common folk usually just talk shit in regional accents, whilst the dwarves are Scotch and the elves are posh hoiti- toiti twats.

The American accents do jar, though I can handle Geralt for the "I'm too old for this shit." weariness, Triss' accent is like so valley girl, it's off putting.
It's one thing to accept that the characters themselves try to sound educated thus they sound retarded but overall it all comes across as pretentious and annoying.

It's one thing to accept that the characters themselves try to sound educated thus they sound retarded but overall it all comes across as pretentious and annoying.

I understand what you mean in the case of someone like Radovid, as his accent does conflict a little with proper pronounciation, but if you've ever seen Sharpe as in the clip I posted he through the series gets made up to be an officer and begins trying to speak properly and it does sound pretentious though it suits his development. In the case of Radovid and others in the game though I think it's because if he spoke in a broad accent, he would be unintelligable.

Radovid:- Reet Gerald' yev to go t' pub t'find owt if the blind bitch is knocking about. If folk ill be like cagey and shite, then break ther bleedin' neck, that owl bint owes me for t'pint and a pie.

The others like Phili and Yen who talk "posh," are pretty accurate to many people who I've met who speak that way, in what I would call a university/student accent and yes they do sound pretentious, but it does suit the character of sorcresses as they are trying to pretend they are better than they are and from the aristoricracy, rather than the bastard daughter of a miner and a barmaid.

In Britain we still discriminate based upon accents, somebody with a broad Lancastrian/Yorkshire/Black Country accent is seen as dense, honest and humerous, no matter how they look or dress or how much intelligence they have. Cockneys are seen as liars/wideboys, the West country jovial inbreeders, Highland Scots and parts of Ireland as romantic/poetic/lyrical drunks, People from Edinburgh as single malt sophisticates, those from Glasgow drink turps and fight their wives/ children and neighbours for sport.

Basically what I'm getting at is for a character to have a specific accent it is shorthand to prejudice them, so those RP accents shared by Ciri and the sorcresses seem pretentious and a facade because they are.

All this accent bullshit gives cancer. Well, if you are a simple man then you'll speak as american. But if you're lady/peasant/troll/alien etc - british accent. It's so dumb and uncreative:bunkertime:

It's just, I think, that Geralt is representing the player and the biggest English language market is America so that's why he has an American accent, Conneticut Yankee and all that. But Triss on the other hand is unexplainable.

Cadmus

Arcane

I understand what you mean in the case of someone like Radovid, as his accent does conflict a little with proper pronounciation, but if you've ever seen Sharpe as in the clip I posted he through the series gets made up to be an officer and begins trying to speak properly and it does sound pretentious though it suits his development. In the case of Radovid and others in the game though I think it's because if he spoke in a broad accent, he would be unintelligable.

Radovid:- Reet Gerald' yev to go t' pub t'find owt if the blind bitch is knocking about. If folk ill be like cagey and shite, then break ther bleedin' neck, that owl bint owes me for t'pint and a pie.

The others like Phili and Yen who talk "posh," are pretty accurate to many people who I've met who speak that way, in what I would call a university/student accent and yes they do sound pretentious, but it does suit the character of sorcresses as they are trying to pretend they are better than they are and from the aristoricracy, rather than the bastard daughter of a miner and a barmaid.

In Britain we still discriminate based upon accents, somebody with a broad Lancastrian/Yorkshire/Black Country accent is seen as dense, honest and humerous, no matter how they look or dress or how much intelligence they have. Cockneys are seen as liars/wideboys, the West country jovial inbreeders, Highland Scots and parts of Ireland as romantic/poetic/lyrical drunks, People from Edinburgh as single malt sophisticates, those from Glasgow drink turps and fight their wives/ children and neighbours for sport.

Basically what I'm getting at is for a character to have a specific accent it is shorthand to prejudice them, so those RP accents shared by Ciri and the sorcresses seem pretentious and a facade because they are.
I didn't think to look at it this way. It actually seems logical that they would be supposed to sound pretentious then. The problem is that this makes the characters annoying to listen to and I want to like them. Ciri is totally ruined by her fucking accent.

Cadmus

Arcane
Ciri is totally ruined by her fucking accent.
Ciri is ruined by being a womynz.
I still don't understand why she's got that eyeliner but whatever.
I don't remember if it's also described in the books but I just got to the part where she uses her power in the Kaer Morhen defense and the effect is exactly the same as what her mother did in the TV show (that nobody but me likes). Pretty cool, huh!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
salaciousbcrumb Here are the Witcher 2's accents: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/7063-The-Accents-of-the-Witcher-2

This isn't going to be an in-depth commentary on the politics or the themes or the writing style of the Witcher 2, it's just something I've found really interesting when playing through the Witcher 2. It's also something that I commend CDPR highly for, especially considering that their based in Poland rather than Britain (where most of the accents come from). This is the fact that they've given each 'faction' or at least each cultural group their own accent (in the English version of the game at least although I'm not sure if the same is true for the other languages that the game was produced in).

Temeria

The accents of the Temerians in this game resemble that of the ones found in Southern England. These vary from the more working class accents found in Flotsam to the more 'refined' ones of the Temerian noblemen. Commandant Loredo being a prime example of the first with King Foltest being a better example for the latter.

Aedirn

The main Aedirnian accents in this game resemble various Welsh accents. There are two distinct versions in the game. The one spoken by the common folk (which is most obviously seen when they form a rabble) is one found in the South Wales Valleys (where I live) which is a former heavily industrialised area. The accent held by Saskia and Stennis however is far less 'nasally' and is more representative of the 'official' Welsh accent (i.e really bland and not as distinct as other Welsh accents).

Furthermore, in Flotsam we see an interesting mix of culture. It's explained in the game that Flotsam was stolen from Demaved by Foltest and this division is also seen in game. Within the port the majority of the populace are Temerian and thus hold Temerian accents. However, in Lobinden the townsfolk are still Aedirnian at heart and thus have an Aedirnian accent to match.

Kaedwen

The Kaedweni accent is probably the most obvious one to the majority of people. Nearly everyone in the Kaedweni camp has a strong Irish accent. The only people without this accent is Sile and Dethmold with even King Henselt having as strong an accent as his soldiers (which maybe a representative of his character).

Redania

Although there aren't many Redanian characters in the game CDPR have still given them the same accent. This is a Northern English (or Northerner) accent which King Radovid holds. This is of course a change from the original Witcher in which he had a far more annoying and a far less convincing accent.

Others

As for the other groups seen in the game I can see that the Dwarves share the trope of having a nice vibrant Scottish accent and the Nilfgaardians all speak English as if their first language is German.

Then we come to the weakest part of CDPR's covering of the accents in TW2 this being the accents of many of the major characters. Mainly the random american and [posh] british accents strewn throughout the game and in many of the major characters. This is understandable with characters like Geralt who travel all over the continent and thus create an accent of their own. On the other hand the major mages usually stay at one court or another for a long time so it's a it of a mystery as to how Dethmold hasn't grown a Kaedweni accent or how Triss has an accent similar to Geralt.

Of course this whole argument is far too nitpicky and only exists due to how good the rest of the accents were in the game but it's something that if resolved could make TW3 that little bit better. Even if this isn't possible I hope to godMelitele that the accent scheme is continued in the next title (mainly because I can't wait to hear their interpretation of Crach an Craite and the Skelligs).

I hope you enjoyed this pointless bit of typing and all feedback is enjoyed.

How consistent is Witcher 3 with this?

Cadmus

Arcane
salaciousbcrumb Here are the Witcher 2's accents: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/7063-The-Accents-of-the-Witcher-2

This isn't going to be an in-depth commentary on the politics or the themes or the writing style of the Witcher 2, it's just something I've found really interesting when playing through the Witcher 2. It's also something that I commend CDPR highly for, especially considering that their based in Poland rather than Britain (where most of the accents come from). This is the fact that they've given each 'faction' or at least each cultural group their own accent (in the English version of the game at least although I'm not sure if the same is true for the other languages that the game was produced in).

Temeria

The accents of the Temerians in this game resemble that of the ones found in Southern England. These vary from the more working class accents found in Flotsam to the more 'refined' ones of the Temerian noblemen. Commandant Loredo being a prime example of the first with King Foltest being a better example for the latter.

Aedirn

The main Aedirnian accents in this game resemble various Welsh accents. There are two distinct versions in the game. The one spoken by the common folk (which is most obviously seen when they form a rabble) is one found in the South Wales Valleys (where I live) which is a former heavily industrialised area. The accent held by Saskia and Stennis however is far less 'nasally' and is more representative of the 'official' Welsh accent (i.e really bland and not as distinct as other Welsh accents).

Furthermore, in Flotsam we see an interesting mix of culture. It's explained in the game that Flotsam was stolen from Demaved by Foltest and this division is also seen in game. Within the port the majority of the populace are Temerian and thus hold Temerian accents. However, in Lobinden the townsfolk are still Aedirnian at heart and thus have an Aedirnian accent to match.

Kaedwen

The Kaedweni accent is probably the most obvious one to the majority of people. Nearly everyone in the Kaedweni camp has a strong Irish accent. The only people without this accent is Sile and Dethmold with even King Henselt having as strong an accent as his soldiers (which maybe a representative of his character).

Redania

Although there aren't many Redanian characters in the game CDPR have still given them the same accent. This is a Northern English (or Northerner) accent which King Radovid holds. This is of course a change from the original Witcher in which he had a far more annoying and a far less convincing accent.

Others

As for the other groups seen in the game I can see that the Dwarves share the trope of having a nice vibrant Scottish accent and the Nilfgaardians all speak English as if their first language is German.

Then we come to the weakest part of CDPR's covering of the accents in TW2 this being the accents of many of the major characters. Mainly the random american and [posh] british accents strewn throughout the game and in many of the major characters. This is understandable with characters like Geralt who travel all over the continent and thus create an accent of their own. On the other hand the major mages usually stay at one court or another for a long time so it's a it of a mystery as to how Dethmold hasn't grown a Kaedweni accent or how Triss has an accent similar to Geralt.

Of course this whole argument is far too nitpicky and only exists due to how good the rest of the accents were in the game but it's something that if resolved could make TW3 that little bit better. Even if this isn't possible I hope to godMelitele that the accent scheme is continued in the next title (mainly because I can't wait to hear their interpretation of Crach an Craite and the Skelligs).

I don't know which accent is which but the different nations do have different and quite consistent accents. The nilfgaardian accents surely is like that of a native german's. I wonder what the accents are in in Polish. I still wish there was a Czech localization, it would make the world 300 times more believable. Pfff.

Temeria

Aedirn

Kaedwen

Redania

Others

Well Temeria is basically Roache, Thaller and Ves. Thaller and Ves are both Cockney and Roach is Stage English so they are all southern English.

Aedirn, I don't know if we see any Aedrnians, but the ladies of the wood are Welsh as were the Aediernians in Witcher 2 (Saskia)

Kaedwen isn't much represented though Skellige has Northern Irish accents as previously mentioned.

As mentioned before Redanians seem to speak in a Yorkshire, or sometimes Lancastrian accent, which is what many people refer to as the North of England, though it's less North than Newcastle and Cumbria, both of which have strong accents. And to the south of the typically Scottish dwarves.

As for the peseants, many of them seemed to have West country accents, which is southern/midlands and as the game is set in Temaria, holds to the rule, while the Baron is from the midlands as is the woman blacksmith at crows perch, so if this war is on the northern border of Temeria, then it places the accents about right as the more southern accents are from southern Temerians a.k.a Ves and Thaler and the Redianians are Northerners bordering on the midlands (Northern Temeria)

The game could use a Mansfield (near nottingham) accent though as a girl from Mansfield told me the other day (the day before christmas eve) "They'll be faaarting (fighting) over the turkeys tommorow."

Got bored and left

I don't know which accent is which but the different nations do have different and quite consistent accents. The nilfgaardian accents surely is like that of a native german's. I wonder what the accents are in in Polish. I still wish there was a Czech localization, it would make the world 300 times more believable. Pfff.

The Polish version does not really utilize any accent variation, as far as I can tell. Even Nilfgaardian characters, when not actually speaking Nilfgaardian, sound fairly normal. Various peasants do sometimes speak with a generic "redneck" accent, but generally, the birthplace/education/level of pretentiousness of various characters is established primarily through vocabulary and syntax - mostly because, well, Poland just doesn't have too many distinct accents (although I'm sure Polish Highlander and Silesian accent could be used here in some capacity), but you can really go crazy with word choice and word order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think the Nilfgaardian accent doesn't really sound German. Rather Dutch with some German sprinkles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom