Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout What does Fallout make you think?

When it comes to Fallout, what describes you the best?

• Todd Howard is Godd! (Bethestard)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Bethesda ruined Fallout in every way. (Interfag)

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • New Vegas! Did I say New Vegas yet?! (Obsidrone)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • War. War never changes. (Welcome to RPG Codex... How in the hell did a normie get on this forum?)

• I think they all have their pros and cons. (Open-minded)

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Indifferent (I hope you find Atom)

• Me want bawls. (Ok)

• 1, 2 and New Vegas are the only good ones.

Votes: 44 43.6%
  • Fallout sucks! (You have stupid spirits)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Fallout series ends after Fallout 1 (monocled opinion)

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Never played them. (Try the originals, please!!!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Please, if you want, tell everyone your thoughts in detail. Personally, I am a bit of an Interfag. I have always loved the originals the most, and they are my favorite video games ever. I do also love NV.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
All fallouts have pros and cons. No fallout game was perfect, and no, the originals are not the masterpieces most retards believe.

The original 2 fallouts had cool fights, great dialogue and story, they were openended and they gave you tons of freedom to go where you like, you could even speedrun them in 10 minutes...

BUT, build variety was abysmal, most skills and perks were useless or at the very best semi-useless, battles could take forever, companions were shit in combat, controls where shit, and bugs galore, especially Fallout 2. The games was mostly about just buffing small guns and getting some power armor and then it was a cake walk.

Fallout Tactics was a great linear tactical game. It was no RPG, and it had some faults, like for example the uneven difficulty and the mediocre story. It was very hard and at times the difficulty was tiring. Still worth one playthrough, that is how many times i completed it anyway. Forgetable afterwards.

Fallout 3 was a great FPS Action-RPG. It was light on the RPG part but overall it was a good game, definitely GOTY 2008. It had great graphics for its time, and it was so much fun witnessing the fallout universe in first person 3D. It had shitty story though and most characters sucked, as per usual with Bethesda. Still Bethesda managed to make some skills useful, like repair and science which were used far more often in FO3 than in earlier fallouts.

Fallout New Vegas added some pseudo C&C on the FO3 formula and was a nice improvement, plus it had better characters and slightly better story. Too bad it was released semi-broken and Bethesda got the opportunity to influence certain reviewers to bomb the game so metacritic score went under 85 and avoided giving them a bonus. Slick

And last but not least, Fallout 4 was a mixed bag. It has vastly improved gunplay and i mostly liked what they did with power armor, but their world building was empty. Instead of filling the world with interesting places, bethesda artists got bored and created a minecraft clone so you can fill the world with towns yourself. Plus dialogues were mostly shitty and the story was complete nonsense. Still a good game but it is not really an RPG anymore.

Lurker47

Savant
Fallout 3 was a great FPS Action-RPG. It was light on the RPG part but overall it was a good game, definitely GOTY 2008.
I hate this meme. Just look at S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Fallout 3's gunplay had zero personality or intelligence. The AI was dumbshit and the environments weren't designed around fun fights. I don't understand anyone trying to defend FPS Fallout's gameplay because nothing made it seem like any of them gave a shit about being a good FPS. It's the definition of pop-a-mole gameplay. :popamole:

Black

Arcane
9qgltnt.png

Lurker47

Savant
Interesting reveal. Hopefully one day some kind of documentary could be made about all of the different perspectives butting heads during the making of the first two Fallout games. The production cycle explains its kind of otherworldly, hyper-specific tone and identity. Unfortunately, that'll probably never happen.

Matticus

Educated
Fallout 2 is one of my favorite RPGs. I only played a few hours of FNV and about an hour of Fallout 3 before losing interest - this was near release of both games. I haven't picked them up since.

Started playing Fallout 1 for the first time ever this weekend.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Realistically "1, 2, and New Vegas" are the only good ones, but I did "ends after 1" anyway.

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Hey, I'm new here, so I did not know you could somehow add an option. Thank you for correcting my mistake! I already love this forum after a bit of comment-reading.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Fallout What does Fallout make you think?
I enjoy fallout. It makes me think.
When I use stimpak, I think to myself "yes".
When accidentally drink toilet water, I think to myself "no".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom