Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
About to finish Saints Row IV. Bought it the other day when Steam was basically giving it away. I didn't expect to like it this much but man is it fun and funny! I remember trying the first one years ago and man, what a steaming pile of GTA wannabe shit. Are any of the other SR games this good? I have to admit running up buildings and jumping all over the place is half the fun here so I kind of doubt it. Speaking of GTA is V leaked for PC yet? Want to play it asap but I'm always allergic to $60 price tags.

SR 2 and 3(the third) are pretty fun as well. GTA 5 is on steam but it is expensive.

Deleted member 7219

Finished Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut.

Combat is a lot better than in the vanilla game and there is a bit more content here and there which adds on about 5 hours of playtime.

Best RPG of 2014, although I am yet to finish Wasteland 2.

When I played the DLC version I kept the AI alive, freed Feuerschwinge and joined up with Lofwyr. This time, I shut down the AI, let Fueurschwinge die and told Lofwyr no. No difference - maybe some of the text on the single ending slide changed, but I expected more. I thought the whole point of the Director's Cut was to flesh out the endings. That was a little disappointing.

The rest of the game is still very good, though. Not sure if it is an all-time classic, but it has a better narrative than Divinity: Original Sin, the Codex's favourite RPG of 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Stalker CoP Misery 2.1 + Les Miserables that cut off some bullshit. Out of the hobo phaze already. It's easy to drop it now when you can have everything. Running is a bitch unless you sniff some :kocaynumarnie:. Luckly it didn't spolied me and make other mods less enjoyable. Hope the SGM 3.0 will be ready when I finish it.

Mutavore

Literate
Playing through the first Unreal game for the first time. I don't know what to think about it because it alternates between excellent and terrible level design, especially toward the end. While the Sunspire, Bluff Eversmoking and Nali Castle are very impressive and fun to explore, the whole Skaarj Mothership is an absolute pain in the ass from start to finish. In fact this complex, along with the Cellars at Dasa Pass, is the combination of the biggest issues I have with the level design in Unreal : shit indication of the switches, very little visual feedback on which switch opens which door, and too similar-looking corridors everywhere (not to the point of copypasting like in Halo, I'll give them that).
I've never wished I had an objective arrow like I did on this game. Not to mention the more you progress, the more every single enemy you encounter is a very unfun to fight dodge-spamming bullet sponge. Damn, even the pupae are bullet sponges.

In short, definitely worth it for the atmosphere alone and a lot of visual features that still look amazing to this day, but the levels alternate between great and extremely confusing.

EDIT : The last boss could have been great, except that there's no pre-indication of where it's going to teleport (sometimes right behind you so that you can't even walk away and lose half your health) and of course they couldn't resist scattering small annoying enemies across the arena.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Check out the expansion, Return to Na Pali. I found it to be a little different from the main campaign.

Deleted member 7219

Completed Ryse: Son of Rome. Wasted 6 hours of my life on it. I would urge fellow Codexers not to touch this one.

currently losing myself in wasteland 2

loving it

great voice work

at the red skorpion hideout now; totally destroyed a bunch of clowns who tried to tax my weapons can you believe that shit?

this was at the very start of the camp so im anticipating some ~encounters~ so to speak as i progress

saved the ag centre; left those whiny bitches at highpool to fend for themselves YOLO

ALSO

played the char creation and a few minutes of D:OS and between the two games i would say the camera from W2 is superior; and theres a janky, clunky screentearing going on when i move the camera in D:OS but maybe thats just me not tweaking my settings so take that point with a grain of shite

W2 is a good game

Cadmus

Arcane
currently losing myself in wasteland 2

loving it

great voice work

at the red skorpion hideout now; totally destroyed a bunch of clowns who tried to tax my weapons can you believe that shit?

this was at the very start of the camp so im anticipating some ~encounters~ so to speak as i progress

saved the ag centre; left those whiny bitches at highpool to fend for themselves YOLO

ALSO

played the char creation and a few minutes of D:OS and between the two games i would say the camera from W2 is superior; and theres a janky, clunky screentearing going on when i move the camera in D:OS but maybe thats just me not tweaking my settings so take that point with a grain of shite

W2 is a good game
Both cameras annoyed me, the angle just seems wrong. More so in Wasteland than in Div, I just can't tell at all where I'm going to and need to be moving the camera a lot. I'm waiting for W2 to get fully patched cuz the bugs pissed me off and I'm hoping they'll do something about the combat. Or at least add some fucking formations or something.

turul

Augur
It's hard to find any game to play, especially browsing among the fairly new ones, as well as Steam's early-release shovelwares. What happened to quality control? Jesus Crist...Steam, now it's really like digging in a steaming horse manure, with all the crap games shoved out and piled on the front page, to "recommend" it to me. Maybe I'm getting too old, or maybe the games just suck bad. Portal and Portal 2 feels fun for a while. Replayed Wither 2's first few missions. Then quit..The Witcher sucks too.

Keldryn

Arcane
I've been spending my daily commutes playing Bravely Default (3DS). This is better than any Final Fantasy game of the past 15 years. I'm late to the party, having just gotten this game this past Christmas, but I'm quite enjoying it.

On those rare occasions that I can monopolize the TV at home, I'm still working through Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut, both on the Wii U.

I've also been playing a bit of Civilization IV now and then.

Oh, and Mario Kart 8. My five year-old loves to play it, so I play it with her fairly often.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Got the 1.1 patch for Elite: Dangerous and wanted to give it a little spin. Lost my entire evening on it. Lots of polish in little details like the sound department and the way planets look. Don't really like how they implemented city lights but clouds look glorious now. Saw there was a big community event for the building of a new starport at Yembo and decided to go and have a look. Only thing being that Yembo was 70 or so lightyears away from my initial position. Longest journey I took and because I messed around trading, missions and some interaction and exploring along the way it felt like a real oddyssee. Ran into a wreck with a shitload of ancient artefacts floating around, delivered illegal contraband, took some coffee for decent money and got jumped by a pirate who quickly regretted doing just that.

Perhaps it was due to the patch just being released, everybody heading the same way or improved matchmaking but every system seemed to have a number of human players in it. Made traveling in a paltry sidewinder through anarchic systems quite the exciting affair. Once jumped into a seemingly unimportant system along the way that had 20 human ships. Perhaps they where a group of players or the system held something special I couldn't see. I made sure to keep out of their way. Also had some fun looking at what was obvious a new guy trying to land his ship at an outpost by repeatedly flying in all directions and crashing into walls. All said and done it was a fun evening of gaming.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Another Century Episode 3 (3rd person robot shooter with Gundams/Macross/Getter Robot/etc.) on my PS2 emulator. Not it's not anything like Dynasty Warriors: Gundam. Because ACE3 is made by FROM SOFTWARE!

Also playing SRW Z2 Saisei-hen on PPSSPP. Amazing. Too bad SRW Z3 is on PSV only.

Sunless Sea. Great exploration and huge amount of contents so far. The sailing is slow and boring but not an issue for me because I like watching TV while playing it anyway.

Gonna try Darkest Dungeon.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've just started a communist revolution and got called a hero of the working class in Ultima Underworld 2 :russia:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Second attempt at trying to finish Dark Souls, first attempt kind of died after I got the lordvessel because, hell if I know why. It kind of did. Also HDD format happened.

Finally no piece of shit games for window live :incline:

Either way went with a bandit again, only took the master key when starting this time. Holy shit, it is a lot less hard after all the dying on my first attempt. Probably because I knew now that pumping stamina early to be able to block more damage with the shield is a very good idea. :M Also just shows that this game is more about knowing how to fight than just stats and gear, though both help.

I raped the gargoyles on my first attempt, no phantom. Capra Demon was piss easy after I dodged and killed his hounds. Didn't get cursed by the damn basilisks even once. Hollow thieves are as fucking annoying as I remembered. Blighttown was as annoying as usual. Killed spidertits with the help of a phantom.

Progressing a lot faster than on my first playthrough, that's for sure.

spekkio

Arcane
Tried Alpha Protocol

Problems:

- clunky as fuck controls (M+K)
- skills looking retarded (stealth = invinsibility)
- shitty gui (you have to confirm everything with mouse, quickmenus have delay, "escape" doesn't work most of the time)
- shitty fov
- popamole things you can't turn off (markers)
- retarded dialogue system (WTF did I just say?) with some sentences feeling totally disconnected
- stupid minigames, with the hacking one being the most retarded thing i've seen in years
- writing is stiff and uninteresting
- so are all characters
- autosave + savepoint system - you can save at any time, but only from the latest savepoint - I'm sorry, but PS2 was 15 years ago...

Verdict:

tumblr_inline_mrnfm5CiCy1qz4rgp.gif

Compared to this POS, Deus Ex - Invisible War is polished and well thought-of game and Desu Ex - HR is a fucking masterpiece.
Jesus Fuck.

grudgebringer

Playing through the first Unreal game for the first time. I don't know what to think about it because it alternates between excellent and terrible level design, especially toward the end.
In short, definitely worth it for the atmosphere alone and a lot of visual features that still look amazing to this day, but the levels alternate between great and extremely confusing.

All levels were made by different level designers, so they're bound to differ. As far as I recall at the start of each map you can even see which one was made by whom, so you kinda approach every map as an author's work which is quite unusual for FPS genre today where everything is so generic and impersonal.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've just finished Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut, which I backed on KS back in the day. Well, it was a little underwhelming, especially compared to other arcade flight "sims".

On the plus side, it is very intense, action packed, and the strike suit mechanic (you can transform into a mech) is fun and works well. The soundtrack (made by the composer of Homeworld) is nicely done. My biggest gripe is that the difficulty is all about the AI throwing dozens and dozens of ships at you. The last fight stages you against 200!!!!!! fighters, a dozen capital ships and lots of torpedos. It is exciting, but monotonous at the same time. Targeting subsystems is present, but are barely working, you can't cycle between the diffrent subsystem, you have to face the exact turret, and hit target. Hitting the next target button sometimes selects a subsystem, sometimes not, it is totally unreliable.

What made me a little angry is that a very important thing was not explained in the campaign at all. Meaning that if you target specific parts of the capital ships, they go down faster. But this was only explained in the DLC missions, which I only tried after beating the main campaign.

Overall, it was fun for the 7 hours it lasted, but I won't go back to it ever.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I WAS VERY SDKEPTICAL ABOUT DRAGONS DOGMA AT FIRST BUT NBOW I LOVE IT

SEVERAL REASONS

IT REWARDS EXPLORATION
YOU GET STRONGER WEHN YOU LEVEL UP AND PROGREASS SEEMS TANGLIBLE
THE VOCATION SYSTEM IS JSDUT FUN
THERE IS A SENSE OF DANGER LIKE HOLY FUCK I GBETTER HAVE ENOUGH HEALING SHIT AND GET HOME BEFOER NIGHT OR ILL HAVE TO RESTART AND LOSE MY PROGRESS

BROS I LIKE IT MORE AS AN RPG THAN DARK SOULD BUT OVERALL NOT SURE YET
DOES THAT MAKE SENSE BROS LOOLLOLLOL MAYBE I AM WRONG

BROS ALSO I HAVE FALLEN FOR DARK MESSIAH OF MGIHHT AND MAGIC BROS I JUST LOVE FUCKIGN KICKING IMPALING BURNING AND OTHERWEISE IMPALING MOTHERFUCKERS

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
K, so, playing Saints Row III. Just started. Question: If you eliminate a "gang operation" is there a way to stop the gang from infinitely coming after you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom