Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Really curious how No Man's Sky will turn out to be but I am afraid it will be one of those open ended games that really becomes a chore after a while like a few others I have been playing.

Dare to check the official Codex thread?

(Warning! Shilling ahead.)
For shame, Makabb , you have joined the ranks of gaudaost and Celerity.
Gotta find a niche to stay relevant in the shitposter olympics.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Got fed up with 'Witcher 3' after putting in like 100 hours. Keep fucking myself over like this, by being a 'completionist.' I stick my nose into every hole and just get burnt out. Not saying the 100 or so hours weren't filled with a lot of fun! But I didn't finish the game.

Been playing some 'FM 2016,' also beat 'Bioshock - Infinite and the first 'Burial at Sea' episode. I like 'Infinite' just fine, but returning to Rapture, if even for a sub-par and hurried adventure, was AWESOME! I'll jump on 'Part 2' tomorrow.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Got fed up with 'Witcher 3' after putting in like 100 hours. Keep fucking myself over like this, by being a 'completionist.' I stick my nose into every hole and just get burnt out. Not saying the 100 or so hours weren't filled with a lot of fun! But I didn't finish the game.

Same happened with me and Gothic 3.

iqzulk

Augur
Eradicator
Eradicator is a game I really do respect (mostly mechanics-wise, the unlocked FPS, the lack of even a single ranged-hitscanning enemy type, the flawless - compared to other 2.5 FPS games - implementation of mouselook, the drones gimmick, that makes you want to play without being hit even once, the hit detection, all the inventive weaponry, which trumps something like Blood like it wasn't even there, the how neat the game manages to look despite running only at 320x200, etc.), but for which I just cannot really say, that I happen to really like it. Because, ugh, the monotony, ugh, the platforming, ugh, everything being the fucking same over and over again. It's like "it shows its hand" in Episode 1 almost completely - and there is almost nothing to justify the existence of other two episodes (or were there not two, but three more? I don't even remember how much episodes were there, despite completing the game only half a year ago). And it's not like they didn't try - they very obviously did put a very considerable effort in making the game as good as it could possibly be (all the secrets, all the attempts at level scripting and varied mission objectives, the attempts to "aesthecize" the gaming experience through tidy visuals, moody ambient soundtrack and desolate surroundings) - and somehow, at least in my case, all of this apparent effort went sideways, with everything just mixing in one continuous blur.

Also, yes, mid-1996 was way too late. Late-1994/early-1995, alongside Dark Forces, System Shock and Marathon (all of which this game curbstomps as a 2.5D FPS game, mechanics and even leveldesign-wise (System Shock excluded)), this game would've been a blast as a sort of "this is how WE fix DooM". But, well, it happened the way it happened, I guess.

Also, thank you for linking that article. I haven't read it before, and it was an interesting and somewhat illuminating read.

Dux

Arcane
Same happened with me and Gothic 3.

Ditto. I think the proper way to go about these types of games is to decide early on what you want to do: do you just want to mess about in the game world or do you want to finish the game? Playing Gothic 3, my own indecision regarding these choices led to a bad burnout in the end. Too many irrelevant side quests and too much compulsory exploration, I guess.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Playing Company of Heroes now for the first time. I remember it getting 10/10s everywhere around release, but I would say it's really banal. Is there something I'm not getting here? I'm almost at the end of the Normandy campaign now, but all I keep doing is just select all + attack move and steamrolling through every map with absolutely no effort, which is not exactly super exciting.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Playing Company of Heroes now for the first time. I remember it getting 10/10s everywhere around release, but I would say it's really banal. Is there something I'm not getting here? I'm almost at the end of the Normandy campaign now, but all I keep doing is just select all + attack move and steamrolling through every map with absolutely no effort, which is not exactly super exciting.

SP CoH? SP CoH is boring and predictable. Sure, the maps have fine setpieces but the AI is shit and can't do a thing, and it's incredibly passive in defense and predictable in attack (common problems in RTS gaming). Are you expecting DIFFICULTY from a SP RTS? Play Total Annihilation on the hardest level, get the AI 20 min to build and enjoy the endless rain of nuclear strikes, I guess. Only RTS I ever found challenging in SP.

CoH "shines" in MP, where it's probably one of the most playable and innovative post Starcraft RTSs. Mechanics that you can simply ignore in SP (facing, set-up times, garrisoning, zones of control and lines of supply) are employed and make for a flexible and rather fun experience. Furthermore, CoH IS deeply innovative: cover that matters, artillery that apes RL models (mortars kill everything , just ask rawie dear).

Again, it boggles the mind why someone would play CoH in SP. The only barely-adequate games built on that engine where Chaos Rising and Retribution, mostly 'cause the retarded AI did not matter and Chaos Rising had some borderline well-built missions.

If you want too test MP, my name on Steam is the same, and you can punch a rusty fuck in the head instead of some autist who played nothing else for the last decade.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Are you expecting DIFFICULTY from a SP RTS?

No, but I'm expecting a campaign that is at least fun to play.

it boggles the mind why someone would play CoH in SP.

I'm not much interested in MP. Guess imma just play the last Normandy mission for a symbolic conclusion and uninstall in that case.

kazgar

Arcane
Pretty much finished with cardinal quest 2 (mobile) Cleared all the levels with all the classes at highest difficulty. Going to need a new commute timewaster.

Firewatch turned out to be a nice little game interactive short story. Haven't played one like it before, so maybe it's the novelty, but with so little actually happening in the game, the narrative still manages to be engaging the whole time. Good thing the VAs are great too, since it's definitely something that could make or break a game like this.

:4/5:

mastroego

Arcane
Is there a digital Monopoly, by chance?

I'm playing Talisman Digital currently. Delightful, loads and loads of fun (if a bit frustrating at times).

sser

Arcane
Developer
This is the Police

Gotta say... pretty excellent game. Gradual, perhaps too-slow, ramp up of "things to do", but damn is it always interesting. Lotta laughs snuck in there, too.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS PLAYING WAY TO MICH NBA JAM ON MAME LOLKOLO SCOTTIE PIPPEN IT MUST BE THE SHOES!!!11

CONTRA 3 TOO FUCKINH HAD TO CHANGE EMULTORS

LOLOLOK PLAYED RIVER CITY RANSOM AND MADE A SAVE STATE MIGHT EVEN FINISH IT AGAIN

PROBABLY STARTING MM6 THIS WEEK

MY GIRLS ARE TOTTALLY INTO ECCO THE DOLPHIN

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Monopoly is a game best played by 3-4 people. 2 player Monopoly will take too long and lack much of the charm of the trading/auctioning, while 5+ players will lead to players quickly going bankrupt.

I once played a 16-person Monopoly game during a local boardgame tournament. After 4 hours and only 5 turns we were down to 12 players, but seeing as 3 of the 4 bankrupt players had lost to the same player, a clear leader had been established and people thought it would be good to quit then and there.

hajro

Arbiter
Adults play "come into my castle" instead :russiastronk::cheersmate:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Also playing Caesar 3 and Lost City of Atlantis as my laptop games.

I forgot how aggravating it was to contain all the fires in those early city builders. Godfuckingdamn. Still very entertaining.

Indiana Jones is just one of the best. Some pretty :retarded: logic here and there, but that's expected. I had to look up the gum under the desk --> use it on the ramp to climb up the coal chute. Probably never would have gotten past it otherwise as I actually checked that fucking desk a number of times, but apparently missed the gum pixel.

Deleted member 7219

Also playing Caesar 3 and Lost City of Atlantis as my laptop games.

I forgot how aggravating it was to contain all the fires in those early city builders. Godfuckingdamn. Still very entertaining.

Indiana Jones is just one of the best. Some pretty :retarded: logic here and there, but that's expected. I had to look up the gum under the desk --> use it on the ramp to climb up the coal chute. Probably never would have gotten past it otherwise as I actually checked that fucking desk a number of times, but apparently missed the gum pixel.

What's Lost City of Atlantis?

Naraya

Arcane
Taking a break from Lands of Lore - mines took a toll on my sanity...

I finally got to play The Last Story on Dolphin, and holy crap... I am currently just before the final fight and have to say that I really loved the journey up till now. Fighting system is easy to grasp and various skills are actually fun (in contrast to Xenoblade Chronicles, in which IMHO it's overly complicated). Inventory management is simple, not a hassle at all which is extremely important for a hoarder like me. Difficulty feels just about right. The story is dynamic and fluid, even if somewhat a cliche. Characters are very likeable and the game doesn't overwhelm you with fedex quests (again, Xenoblade was ridiculous in this subject). Side quests are quite original and short. Graphics are top notch considering it's a Wii game.

Are there any similar games for PC? I remember playing through all Prince of Persia games in the past (up till the abomination from 2009) but that's more or less it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Picked up a copy of The Room on STEAM. I had heard of it before but I happened to see it on the STEAM page, and saw it was only $5. I said what the fuck, i'll give it a try.

VERY fun "puzzle box" puzzle game. I finished the Tutorial and first Chapter in around 79 minutes. I believe there are 5(?) chapters total. Very fun game so far. <3

EDIT: Finished it in 4 hours, again the cost was only 5$. VERY fun puzzle game. Downloading Part II. <3

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom