Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've started SWAT 4, and I gotta say this plays a lot like a sort of first person X-COM, complete with hunting for the last alien hiding in a broom closet somewhere and waiting to spray you with lead.

The last alien killed me like 10 times already on different occasions. It is a little frustrating. Swat lyfe is hard.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm like 8 hours into Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I love the setting and music and although the story starts in a fairly typical way, I would like to see it through. I fucking hate the combat though and it's full of fetch quests

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Finished my Claire playthrough in Resident Evil 2 (PS1). I really am at a loss for words. I think Resident Evil 2 is a superior game to Resident Evil. But it is also the inferior horror experience. It also leaves a lot to be desired, since it repeats many of the flaws of its predecessor.
  • Enemies spawning out of nowhere because ???. And not even in somewhat logical, "you opened a door to a new area and monsters got in" kind of way. Literally crossed a door and crossed it back and there were four zombies around.
  • Annoying camera angles make it difficult to fight enemies.
  • More retarded puzzles.
  • More pointless puzzle items inventory management in the name of "survival horror" (keyword for "bad game design").
  • More poor, laughable voice acting.
The good things are still there, and are still the same: good atmosphere, good graphics, somewhat interesting story, tank controls. My playtime was allegedly 5 hours, but in reality it may have taken twice as much. Overall a solid 7/10.

I should get back to King's Field IV sometime; I'm already forgetting where I was and what I was supposed to do.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
annoying camera angles
retarded puzzles
pointless inventory management
i think it's just the game isn't for you.

The same could be said about anyone criticizing any game, ever, no? There's literally no defending none of those features. It's not that "puzzles are bad". It's that "puzzles that don't make any sense in the setting" are bad. It's not that inventory management is bad. It's that "inventory management of puzzle items for the sole purpose of slowing down a playthrough" is bad. It's not that camera angles are bad. It's that "camera angles that conveniently make the enemy stay out of the field of view" are bad. Resident Evil managed to convince people that bad game design is a whole genre in its own: survival horror.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've started SWAT 4, and I gotta say this plays a lot like a sort of first person X-COM, complete with hunting for the last alien hiding in a broom closet somewhere and waiting to spray you with lead.

The last alien killed me like 10 times already on different occasions. It is a little frustrating. Swat lyfe is hard.

On the other hand, there come times when there is only one cellar with holed up murderhobos left and you have enough nades remaining to do a flashbang-tear gas wombo combo insertion while spamming the mousewheel to yell POLICE HANDS UP GET DOWN HANDS IN THE AIR DROP YOUR WEAPON and shoopin' rubber bullets into anyone who still somehow refuses to comply.

d96.jpg

I bought Reassembly on GoG for the sale. Lego like physics game where you literally assemble 2-D starships which can either be controlled directly for arcade play or as an RTS. This game is going provoke my OCD in the worst (best?) sort of manner. It's an optimization freak's dream, or nightmare.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I PLAYED FAR CRY TILL THE BOSS LOLLOLOLOL I WAS TIRED OF THE MUTANTA AND HE WAS JUST THE LAST STRAW

I LIKE THE ROOM ALSO ONE OF THE ACTUALLY PLAYABLE GAMES ON MY PHONE

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Borderlands 2 GOTY ,my first looter shooter,I tried it at first some years ago and didn't like it,installed it again recently and liked it.Graphics hold up pretty well for an old game(played it before they released the 4k pack,was too bored to install it just for the last couple of hours,it will probably be a little better with it),story is just run of the mill but it does the job of moving you forward,writing is hit or miss,mostly miss.The gameplay is fun and better if you play with a friend.Spent 60 hours on the main game and dlcs and there are even more side quests and raids if I want to go back,lots of content in there,although it started getting a boring a repetitive near the end.Recommended for a sale(And I think it's still on sale right now)

wyes gull

Savant
Gave Generation Zero a go. Wish I hadn't. The sound is pretty fucking good and that's about it. It's skeleton of a game- and even that skeleton isn't much to look at. Made me wish I was playing Sir, You're Being Hunted instead. So I flung the imaginary BR through the window and got onto something else in the same ballpark- kinda.

Thus, Left 4 Mirror's Edge, aka Dying Light. Zombies again? Fuck off. Eh, this parkour is shitty. The movement sucks, Far Cry's was better. Call these idiots characters? Another fucking teeny-bop "resistance"?
And then night came. A cutscene ends and I regain control in the shithole tenement of the shithole part of a shithole city. And it's pitch fucking black. The zombie groaning in the background kicks up a notch, the music swells and you hear a distinct wail. And it's close. I start getting "hunting chimeras in Stalker" flashbacks. And I run (Iran is so far away). Into mobs, into cars, into fuck knows what while slapping the spacebar as fast as I could as I'm being pelted and losing health from fuck knows what. The only thing visible is the sky, outlining the buildings in front. Gotta get higher. Gotta heal. Gotta keep running. Gotta go f- not doing it. Suddenly a light. A green house in the minimap. Safety? Fuck, just run towards it. "PURSUIT EVADED". Sweeter words have never popped up on a screen. So I look back for the first time in a while as this bipedal abomination slinks into darkness. And the stars align. I reach enlightenment. My chakras have shed their falafels and achieved post-chtulhusness- Dying Light finally makes sense. Those were the best 2 minutes of playing in months (that's what she said).

It's far from perfect. The AI is kinda broken, as in they managed to get zombie runners (and volatiles) to follow you near perfectly, but everything else is crap- regular shamblers are supposed to be but others aren't- the bad guy's armed goons will often stand looking at each other as you pick them off with arrows, especially in open areas; in interiors, one of them sees you, all of them know exactly where you are; spitters will stand their ground as you close distance and stab them in the face instead of trying to reposition; those rebar-swinging hulks are truly figures of despair- stoically standing in place as you put arrow after arrow in their sad faces. What else? Ah, the inexplicable absence of a stamina bar. Why? No fucking clue. There's one for attacks in a game not about fighting. There's one for air if you're underwater in a game not about swimming. But one for running in a game that's about parkour? Nope. Expect to get tired when you least need and with it a couple of stupid, preventable deaths. Terrible inventory menu. How about a sort button? How about breaking up blueprints by type instead of rarity? Plot has some shitty moments, of significance is a death that really stings- partly to the game's credit in establishing the character, partly because unless I'm forgetting something, the MC is shown in a cutscene taking something that could've saved that person, which I don't remember him ever using. Oh and looting is a chore. If you only looted for money, fine, you could always cheat engine your way out of it. But you need the loot as ingredients for several items. Expect to see the MC's hands fondling everything in sight from zombie asses to trunks to backpacks and anything in between.

What good is there in it though, is really good. The maps (2 of them, different parts of the same city) are pretty fucking well designed. Planks that lead to railings that lead to rooftops that lead to overpasses that lead to poles that lead to lighting fixtures- virtually everything is climbable and virtually everything is placed so you can jump from one thing to the other and keep moving. With it, the grappling system is a gem. There's no wall that doesn't have 3 protuberances you can hang on to and even jumping blind and holding space will most often ensure you do although you are expected to time your jumps as well as your grabs to ensure you grip/land where you intend to- Assassin's "hold forward to traverse map" Creed this is not. Neither is it Mirror's Edge. However, one might think it unfortunate, but with the added problem of zombies and the bigger focus in combat, this parkour system is pretty much as complex as it needs to be. There's also a main character with a personality, for a fucking change. Of note is the (unfortunately not common enough) colour commentary that is surprisingly on point- had me chuckling a fair few times when the character told himself exactly what I was thinking (bonus point for telling the big bad to STFU when big bad attempts big bad banter during the final story mission). The grappling hook is impeccably implemented- strong enough to get you out of a jam but you only get two uses, after which it needs a recharge. But the best might be that one retarded Techland employee. Yes, that guy that's weird even by polack standards and who other Techland employees avoid. I love that guy. I love him because at one meeting he went "You know what this game needs? A dropkick." Someone went "That's retarded". Someone else went "This game is about movement, why the fuck would you have a move that renders the player immobile?". And then he threw an autistic fit and forced the team to put the dropkick in anyway. And the Lord said unto the zombie: "Thou shalt be dropkicked off the top of the roof and the people shall be merry". They were. And it's still amusing 30-40 hours in. It's retarded but it never fucking gets old.

On the whole, it's probably the unofficial ME sequel I never knew I wanted. Because fuck the official sequel. Two soles up.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II The Sith Lords.

32 h for the completion, Jedi Consular and then Jedi Master. It is still as amazing as it was nearly 15 years ago. And it was most certainly not a waste of time. ;)

Dux

Arcane
KotOR II: Kreia's Petty Vendetta. Sponsored by Xanax.

32 hours of pseudo-intellectual philosophical meanderings courtesy of the malignant walking tumour known as Kreia, a space witch who can't wait to tell me about causality and entropy and all the other hip subjects she picked up in community college. Don't forget a convoluted, nihilistic and bleak storyline that goes absolutely nowhere slow (even with the restoration patch), complete with the most contrived plot devices and resolutions you're ever likely to see in a game. There's also the vivid cast of characters including a sassy former groupie redhead with a wee rocket launcher on her wrist, a frustrated anime albino yoga instructor in heat, a spiky-headed alien dude voiced by a guy with his jaws wired shut, a Firefly reject sidekick with a stupid haircut who crack jokes and abuses droids but is actually really conflicted and sensitive inside because he did naughty things in his past and the dry humour is all just a cover and oh the humanity. Makes me cry every time. Then there's the wookiee who is more one-note than Zaalbar. The only ones who gets a pass is the blind waifu because Kelly Hu, and Mandalore because Mandalore. Lastly, a main character who is actually the manifestation of Force AIDS, spreading his influence all around him. Blargh, that is what I say to that. Humbug.

Not taking shots at your playthrough or anything but sometimes I just gotta do it, know what I'm saying?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm playing modded Morrowind but I'm not sure if I'll stick with it or it is one of those "play for a couple of hours -> uninstall" adventures.

Dux

Arcane
Ah, speaking of which. I recently reinstalled Morrowind with MGE and Rebirth.

Here's my stalwart hero of Vvardenfell:

ZeszKYc.jpg

Voted the fifth most handsome alcoholic in all of Hla Oad.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Purchased Warcraft 2: Orc v. Humans on GOG. Yes, played the hell out of it back in when it came out and remember it being fun. Maybe at the time it was, but now every mission is 20 minutes of waiting around for peons to have enough farms and goods, then kiting enemies and structures for 45 minutes. The enemy AI sucks, the pacing is grueling - here's a map where you get peons and build a farm. Now build a farm and a barracks. Now build a farm, a barracks, and a lumber mill. Now you get ogres. Now you get ogre mages. Now you get ogre mages and a second spell. Now you get ogre mages and their final spell... on and on.

It was something back in the day, but... hasn't aged well.

Purchased Warcraft 2: Orc v. Humans on GOG. Yes, played the hell out of it back in when it came out and remember it being fun. Maybe at the time it was, but now every mission is 20 minutes of waiting around for peons to have enough farms and goods, then kiting enemies and structures for 45 minutes. The enemy AI sucks, the pacing is grueling - here's a map where you get peons and build a farm. Now build a farm and a barracks. Now build a farm, a barracks, and a lumber mill. Now you get ogres. Now you get ogre mages. Now you get ogre mages and a second spell. Now you get ogre mages and their final spell... on and on.

It was something back in the day, but... hasn't aged well.

What? I played it quite recently and the pacing was quite quick with a lot to do on most maps, unless you weren't playing on the high game speeds (which I did have to do for some levels, IIRC the final human one mainly which is absolutely impossible without some extreme micro). Once you got your base down you could completely zerg the AI and annihilate them, 45 minutes of kiting is playing wrong.

I do agree that the early ones can be a bit of a slog though due to only having a few unit types. The Expansion campaign doesn't have this problem.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
What? I played it quite recently and the pacing was quite quick with a lot to do on most maps, unless you weren't playing on the high game speeds (which I did have to do for some levels, IIRC the final human one mainly which is absolutely impossible without some extreme micro). Once you got your base down you could completely zerg the AI and annihilate them, 45 minutes of kiting is playing wrong.

I do agree that the early ones can be a bit of a slog though due to only having a few unit types. The Expansion campaign doesn't have this problem.

The maps fall into three categories in the campaigns -
* 4 peons, a barracks, two farms and a town hall, or something like this. Destroy the other town - get harassed, build up everything, then complete objective.
* 12 units, no farms, 2 peons - that is, you have to have the peons slave to gather resources to build farms just so ... you have have enough peons to start the mission. This sucks, and is common.
* Many peons, 20 units, an objective to clear off the land across water. Ok, you build up your stuff, get harassed, then you build boats and then creep across the map taking out balistas and towers one by one.

I'm playing through the Horde missions and am almost complete. Not saying it's shit, far from it, but not quite what I remembered.

I'm not sure what you expected, a complex scripted campaign with custom units and minigames? It's an RTS, you build a base and destroy the others.

WC2 is somewhat unique in that there's basically no limit to the number of peons you can have working gold or trees. It takes a minute or two to get there on max speed but once you do there's no excuse if the game feels too slow, just build more peons so you can mine and produce faster. Most missions I win by just swarming 30 upgraded grunts or ogres into places (with destroyers or battleships for sea doing the same). It's not some great complex strategy game but if you enjoy building a base as fast as possible and getting an army as fast as possible, the fundamentals of RTS, it's got plenty to do.

Last edited:

Swigen

Arbiter
Really having a blast with Borderlands GOTY edition. I remember playing it when it first came out and being utterly bored with it but after 10 years of alcohol/drug abuse and numerous shots to the head I feel I am now at the correct intelligence level to enjoy this sort of game.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Mostly playing now?

Minecraft

Since 2010. Millions of blocks mined. All by hand. Never used Creative mode. I put the 'mine' in Minecraft.

Prior to that it was TrackMania. The original on PC. Thousands of hours.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm on a weeb binge.

I'm slowly making my through Steins;Gate on PS Vita. I do like the game, but it has taken me a long time to get to chapter 8. I rarely play on the Vita anymore, but it isn't the game's fault. It's the best visual novel that I have played. It's fucking mental.

On PC, I've resumed my Dragon Quest XI run. I played it a lot when it released, but stopped playing for some months. I'm getting back into it now. Just finished finding the first orb. I love the cheesiness of the game. It shouldn't work, but it does for me. I like the characters, the graphics and the overall exploration. With some Draconian Quests, the game is even hard enough for codexers. The game really succeeds in evoking that old school feel, while still allowing itself to be slightly modernized compared to earlier entries in the series. The only big drawback is the lack of music tracks, and the midi quality. Luckily, the mod that adds Orchestrated tunes, helps a bit.

On PS4, I am playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. On Hard, it offers an acceptable challenge, but that's mostly for boss fights. You can tell that the game was a cross-platform game (PS Vita), because graphics aren't exactly top notch. It basically plays like a SMT copy. Since we haven't been spoiled with those kinds of games, I'll take it. Story isn't amazing, but it's interesting enough for me to want to find out more. I had already played this, but my PS Vita saves got corrupted when I reached chapter 8. I'm now at chapter 6, in other words, I'm almost back to where I was.

For all of the above games, if you like Japanese games in general, I recommend all three. If you're not a weeb like me, stay clear, I suppose.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Started playing Dragon Quest VIII again, after letting it rest for over a year. Should have done it earlier, because this games makes me feel relaxed. You have to take your time to play through it and spend hours grinding, so you don't need to hurry through it. And when one character reached a level you feel that you achieved your goal for this day, so you can put it down. Besides that, I still found this quite charming in all aspects: It has a simple but intense story about pain and how to react to it, sympathetic characters, a fairytale atmosphere and the monsters are still creative and so CUTE. The atmosphere is optimistic without being dumbed down, the music is also good, the mechanics simple but effective. I just love it. Worth every cent and timeless, even after 15 years. Feels like coming home.

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
Shitposting on YouTube videos, triggering and arguing with stupid people.

More fun than new games. Actually, someone should make it into a game.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm playing modded Morrowind but I'm not sure if I'll stick with it or it is one of those "play for a couple of hours -> uninstall" adventures.

Well, I didn't last long. Made it to Balmora and uninstalled. This kind of shit bothers me a lot, because I spent a lot of time downlaoding stuff and setting it up just to grow tired of the game so quickly. This is why I prefer games with next to no mods.

I'm also playing The Witness, got it for free from Epic Games Store. The puzzles are nice I guess, but the map quickly opens up to something huge and it's easy to lose your bearings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom