Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

newtmonkey

Arcane
If you want to give more detailed information on how to get these games running on modern systems, feel free to post in the "Unofficial patches" thread, which always hungers for such information.

I would, but I don't know if it really fits in there, as it's just replacing an installer and setting up a DXwnd profile. I'll reply to that thread asking if the info would be worth adding as general advice.

Dedup

Augur
I couldn't sleep the other night so I dusted off my 3DS and started up a new game of Etrian Odyssey to play in bed. Maybe I'll actually finish it this time.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, i.e. Symphony of the Night II.

I succumbed to the hype without regrets, the game is great, the art is superb. Igarashi is making some golden balls, but the success seems justified.

Certain high-tiers backers should have removed their glasses for the portraits though, because it looks very retarded.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I just finished Fallout. Great game overall, no game has had me as hooked as it has in a long time.
Reminds me of my feelings when I played Gothic 2, Oblivion and Fallout: New Vegas for my first time, I played those day in day out.

I did have various gripes, as always:
-not being able to report Iguana Bob to the police
-getting the bad ending with the Khans despite all of them being dead (maybe cause I never talked to Garl, which meant a script didn't trigger)
-map encounters being really annoying
-AP ammo being seemingly useless
-some retarded solutions to problems (to disable Mariposa force fields you have to play a game of 21 with it until you win and then use a radio on it from the hold-click inventory menu that to my knowledge is used only once? Who came up with this shit?)
-inventory weight being bloody vexing despite being absurdly easy to break with backpack.

My character was boring and not that well thought out, I chose Fast Shot as my trait which turned out to be a big mistake that made combat a lot less interesting visually, and didn't allow me to use a lot of earlier guns in a fun way. I did choose Mutate as a perk to reassign that to something else, but it was too late by then because I was just using a minigun and rocket launcher at that point. I also chose First Aid as one of my tag skills, completely useless skill bloat is what that is. The game in general had a bunch of useless skill bloat.
cY9Cdag.jpg

Fallout Fixt crashed maybe around a dozen times throughout the playthrough, dunno why. There were some graphical glitches but those were minor.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Elminage: Original (3DS)
Restarted on 3DS after playing on PSP for 15 hours or so. I dunno why, the 3DS version doesn't look as good, runs slower, loads slower, etc etc. I guess I wanted to justify purchasing a 3DS and also the entire Elminage series.

I didn't even go with an interesting party, went with my usual two fighters, cleric, thief, and two mages (well, one mage and an alchemist). Strangely, I'm finding it to be a bit harder than the PSP version, but that might be due to the fact that I had two mages in the PSP version to start with, so I had some crazy offensive magic early on.

It's a great game, almost like an alternate Wizardry VI where Bradley decided to just stick with the formula and add more stuff.

Might & Magic III (DOS)
I started to get annoyed with M&M1 as I'm at a part of the game where it seems like most of the areas are far too dangerous to explore at my current level, but then again it's always hard to tell in this game if you are underleveled for a particular area of just running into some powerful fixed encounter. On the other hand, I don't want to just blow through all the Wizardry games one after another, so I decided to put both M&M1 and Wiz5 on hold for a bit and skip to M&M3. So far, so good. My first shock was how modern the interface is. This is amazing stuff for 1991; even better, you can play with mouse only, keyboard only, or a combination of the two. You could release this today and the interface wouldn't seem out of place.

I went with a Paladin, Barbarian, Ninja, Cleric, Sorcerer, and Druid. Rolling new characters is way more friendly than in M&M1, since you can swap stats around during character creation and you also typically get pretty high rolls quickly. Hell, it's more friendly in general. Enemies wander the maps and you can wear them away from a distance with missile weapons and even easily run from approaching enemies. This makes the early game pretty forgiving; you can step out of town, take down a few enemies and escape back to town without worrying about running into a random battle from which you can't run away. You can even save anywhere (though I could see that coming back to bite me in the ass).

I'm not too happy with the music, unfortunately. I mean, it's better than the PC speaker ditties you got in M&M1, but it's just pretty dull so far. Sound effects are quite nice though (on MT-32).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm a bit stuck in Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel. I've got lots of quests, but I'm not sure how to continue with quite a few of them. Having a blast with the game other than that. I've finally been able to finish some boss battles that were kicking my ass. Some new arts and some buffed up stats + items did the trick. I've rotated over 15 characters in my party, and I think that there are about 30. Doubt that I'll find all of them without a guide, which I can live with.

Persona 5. Fucking hell. I did the first palace in one go, except the final boss. That was some intense shit. What saved me was that I got so many different Personas to tackle many weaknesses. As long as you get in the surprise attack, you can be fairly safe, and the stealth mechanic is messed up. As long as you'r in cover, the enemy can tea bag you and still not be aware of your existence. Once I found that out, was when I decided to do it in one run. Gotta save the other days for social links and buffing up stats. I'm almost 10 hours in and only this palace done. I'm expecting 100-150 hours to beat this game.

Other than that, I'm just concurrently playing lots of games and also trying to finish up shorter games. In the past 4 years, I've completed almost 250 games and abandoned even more I think. My backlog is now down to 227.

Puukko

Arcane
Persona 5. Fucking hell. I did the first palace in one go, except the final boss. That was some intense shit. What saved me was that I got so many different Personas to tackle many weaknesses. As long as you get in the surprise attack, you can be fairly safe, and the stealth mechanic is messed up. As long as you'r in cover, the enemy can tea bag you and still not be aware of your existence. Once I found that out, was when I decided to do it in one run. Gotta save the other days for social links and buffing up stats. I'm almost 10 hours in and only this palace done. I'm expecting 100-150 hours to beat this game.

Sounds like you're playing on Hard and the first palace is indeed tough. The difficulty kinda tapers off after the second palace until it comes back during the last. Surprise attacks can still fuck you over at any given moment, though. I don't know what people who beat the game in 100 hours skipped because I took 160-170 and I don't think I was particularly slow.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Sounds like you're playing on Hard and the first palace is indeed tough. The difficulty kinda tapers off after the second palace until it comes back during the last. Surprise attacks can still fuck you over at any given moment, though. I don't know what people who beat the game in 100 hours skipped because I took 160-170 and I don't think I was particularly slow.
Yeah, Hard is fine. As long as you have enough SP restoratives, you're fairly safe. And yeah. I get two game over when I got in Succubus fights. I'm probably going to take 150+ hours from your comment. I'm a fairly slow player. Oh boy, I wonder if I can beat this during my vacation. I have 6 weeks off from work.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Might & Magic III (DOS)

This game is FUCKING AMAZING. I was up til 4:50am this morning playing this, and after waking up and finishing up some work due Monday, I was back playing it.

I was never into this series at all back in the day, in fact my first experience with M&M was either M&M6 or the Interplay "Ultimate RPG Archives" version of M&M4/5. Even so, I barely even touched those games as I was more into the Ultima games back then.

The interface is at least a decade ahead of its time. Beautiful ANIMATED VGA graphics with a full MT32 soundtrack (admittedly nothing fantastic; nice SFX tho) and a massive open world... plus an interface that is so intuitive that the game's manual doesn't even bother to explain it (note: it came with a reference card).

Want to hand over an item from character 1 to character 2? Just click on the item, and then click on character 2. Or, press the number of the item on the keyboard and then press F2. Or any combination of the two. This is insane for 1991. Ultima 7 would one-up it (I guess) the following year, but you cannot even compare the two imo as M&M3 is a genuine RPG like the days of yore, and Ultima 7 is some kind of adventure game (albeit AMAZING) with a clusterfuck of a combat system tacked on.

It's even got a built-in automap (just like M&M2) for the "drawing maps is hard" babies (alternately, for the "too drunk to draw straight lines" RPG connoisseurs). You could literally put this game on Steam with AI upscaled graphics (why not), change the title to "Get the Epic Lootz - WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M HAVING AN ADVENTURE????" and it would probably outsell Bard's Tale IV and M&MX combined.

Okagron

Prophet
Finished No One Lives Forever 2 and it's actually better than the first one and the first one is great. Pretty much blasted through it in three days because i was having so much fun. And that's not to say the game is short, the single player campaign is substantial in length (the same for the first).

Gonna play Contract Jack next.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Teamfight Tactics.

Very addictive. Will continue to play.

I'm also giving Risen another go and perhaps this time I'll stick with it. Graphics actually look very nice. Like a cell shaded parchment.

Obviously I'll play TFT instead. Fuck.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I finished Bloodlines again and I am suffering from post-Bloodlines depression. What should I play next?

Curratum

Seeing the sort of hideous old shooters people inflict on themselves in here, in a day and age when games like Dusk, Amid Evil and Ion Maiden exist is just stomach-turning.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Seeing the sort of nostalgiabait shit people eat up in here, in a day and age where 30 years of great shooters exist is just stomach-turning.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Seeing the sort of hideous old shooters people inflict on themselves in here, in a day and age when games like Dusk, Amid Evil and Ion Maiden exist is just stomach-turning.
I hope that by terrible shooters, you mean garbage like Call of Duty, don't speak ill of Blood and Duke Nukem, in comparison with Dusk and Amid Evil they are gods among men.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Replayed Baldur's Gate and I enjoyed it way more than my first playthrough. Probably because I rushed through the campaign the first time and skipped all the TotSC content as well as not understanding the ruleset. Next is either more Myth 2 or playing Icewind Dale for the first time.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished Kotor 2 for the first time, all was well and fine up...

...to the last planet. It was grindy, and it made no sense. There was zero pay off for that 50 hour journey. What the hell happened here? I guess it was rushed out. My gray Jedi kills Kreia and fucks off in his space ship. Apparently there is a canon story to it. Canon is a female light side Jedi, and she eventually joins Revan in some kind of conflict against the Sith. Very disappointing all and all. I expected to at least to get some kind of summery of what happened to my ship mates and the planets I visited, but nope.

U-8D8

Savant
I expected to at least to get some kind of summery of what happened to my ship mates and the planets I visited, but nope.[/spoiler]
I think you can ask Kriea about your companions' and the planets' eventual fates and she'll tell you how they end up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom