Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FINISHED ALIEN LEGACY AGAIN

ITS ONE GAME I THANK THE CODEX FOR INTRODUCTIONING ME TOO

PLAYING SPACE ENGINE LOLOLLOLLOL IT ISNTA GAME BUT ITS AWESOME

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Been playing Tale of Wuxia for a while, and I have to say this game is surprisingly amazing and hilariously retarded. If you appreciate corny ninja movies and the like, it's definitely a must-play - though at the same time I also feel that appreciation of movies with flying chinks is an entry-level requirement to be able to like this game in the first place.

Apart from that it has VERY in-depth character building (it works a bit like a sort of princess maker I guess, except that raising your stats has practical application instead of just watching numbers rise) and pretty neat tacticool combat. It might just be tied for the title of RPG of the decade with ELEX and Grimoire if I do say so meself.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
My half year report.

Kenshi - 139 hours
Sekiro - 173 hours
Battle Brothers - 37 hours
The Stinking City - 18 hours (!?)
CS:GO - 250 hours (!?)

Best year evah.

:despair:

Vorark

Erudite
Purchased Pillows of Eternity II during the Steam sale. Booted it up, checked the POE1 save creator and then stared blankly at the screen: seems I've forgotten everything about the first game, lel. Anyway, chose one of the premade histories only to be greeted by a dwarf spouting flowery dialogue. Yeesh, I'm outta here.

I don't know why I expected it to be better.

Swigen

Arbiter
Jumped back in to Dungeon Travelers 2. Just beat the dungeon I left off at, got a new booty shot CG and added 2 new bitches to my team all while high as a kite. All in all a successful re-visit.

Endemic

Arcane
Got Neo Scavenger on sale. Searched a forest for equipment, encountered a feral dog, tried to fight it with just fists - got bitten several times before it took a chunk out of my character's head. 10/10 would die again. :P

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Total Party Kill - Cute idea for a puzzle game. You have a warrior, an archer and a wizard. Your job is to kill them in the right places so that one of them will get to the exit door. It's fun for the most part, but it's clear that the designer isn't very good at making puzzles. Hard puzzles rely more on niche engine interactions the player must guess than logical solutions. There's also very little progress in the mechanics, which isn't too bad since it takes around 2.5 hours to finish.

The Decline

Arcane
I just started playing Elex. It's got that euro jank feeling all right, but that usually means a fun rough around the edges game.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yakuza 0 on PC. My only previous experience with Yakuza games was with the first entry in the series on PS2 which I played in emulation but there were visual bugs that were too annoying to ignore so I quit after a few minutes. But I was intrigued by the fighting mechanics and game world so I decided to play what many fans consider the best in the series. It's okay so far but, man, what a shock with those loooong cut scenes but maybe I shouldn't be surprised since it is a Japanese release.

hellbent

Augur
Been playing Tale of Wuxia for a while, and I have to say this game is surprisingly amazing and hilariously retarded. If you appreciate corny ninja movies and the like, it's definitely a must-play - though at the same time I also feel that appreciation of movies with flying chinks is an entry-level requirement to be able to like this game in the first place.

Apart from that it has VERY in-depth character building (it works a bit like a sort of princess maker I guess, except that raising your stats has practical application instead of just watching numbers rise) and pretty neat tacticool combat. It might just be tied for the title of RPG of the decade with ELEX and Grimoire if I do say so meself.

After checking some gameplay videos on this, it looks like a p. fine hidden gem indeed. And of course, because it's a Chinese game, it involves a fetch quest with gathering a tiger penis. Now I must rush to give them my money while the summer sale is still on at Steam.

M3THq25.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beat the second palace in Persona 5. RNG messed me up on my first try. The boss randomly uses magic from different elements. He hit two characters with their weakness and I was screwed. My second attempt went much smoother. Wasn’t even hard. Funny how that goes.
I’ve played 25 hours and I’m in early June. In general, I like the game, but I’d like to see a Persona use adult protagonists again. P5 has been successful, so I doubt that my wish will be granted.
Dungeons are decent enough. So far, better than P3 and P4. Exploration in Tokyo is also okay. Just use fast travel when you don’t want to go on foot.
Not sure I like the characters that much. Don’t know if it’s the writing, voice acting or both.

EDIT:
Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel is also good. It’s more of a traditional jrpg/wrpg mashup. None of the simulation aspects.

Last edited:

No Great Name

Arcane
Yakuza 0 on PC. My only previous experience with Yakuza games was with the first entry in the series on PS2 which I played in emulation but there were visual bugs that were too annoying to ignore so I quit after a few minutes. But I was intrigued by the fighting mechanics and game world so I decided to play what many fans consider the best in the series. It's okay so far but, man, what a shock with those loooong cut scenes but maybe I shouldn't be surprised since it is a Japanese release.
If you were using PCSX2, then Software Mode fixes all of the visual bugs if your CPU is good enough.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
If you were using PCSX2, then Software Mode fixes all of the visual bugs if your CPU is good enough.

Thanks for the tip but I'd probably play the remastered versions of Yakuza 1 & 2 for PC (Yakuza Kiwami 1 & 2) using the Yakuza 0 engine over that.

the_shadow

Arcane
Finally finished Darkest Dungeon after shelving it for about 6 months. I previously dropped it after getting a bit burnt out and then being steamrolled in DD2. After researching the right party composition and looking at a map of the dungeon, I was able to clear it without losing any characters. After that it was only an hour or two of play until I wrapped up. Overall... it's a really good game. I didn't have any of the expansions, so I intend to replay it once they go on deep discount.

I'm currently replaying through Painkiller. I played it almost a decade ago, but without the expansion. It's amazing how fresh and enjoyable an FPS it is. Nothing complicated, just a bunch of interesting weapons, a variety of enemies, beautiful maps, and fast-paced action. I hardly ever used the Tarot cards when I first played it, but now I'm collecting and fiddling with them, and it adds a lot more enjoyment in how you can exploit them. I intend to play Overdose after finishing with it, should be interesting to see whether it's as bad as people say.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm having a go at the handful of titles that I bought during the Steam sale.

Gorogoa is a puzzle game where you have four tiles where a story unfolds about a boy collecting five fruits as an offering to an Aztec god, through various images of places that you can interact with. Said interactions include zooming in and out, panning around, stripping away the top layer and placing it in an empty tile, or linking up related images either horizontally or vertically to create a greater image. It's kinda hard to explain the whole of it in text, so the trailer should go a long way towards explaining things better. I enjoyed the game while it lasted, but therein lies the problem: I beat the game in 72 minutes, and even with a heavy discount it's far too expensive for the amount of gameplay on offer. Thanks for stopping by Gorogoa, hello Steam Refund Policy.

Super Panda Adventure looks like a kid's attempt at the Unity Engine at first, but give it a few minutes and you'll realize that this is a platformer with solid Metroidvania elements. You control Fu, a Panda trained to be the bodyguard to a panda princess, except you fail in the first minute as she's kidnapped by evil robots who are invading the land. My biggest gripe with the game is how plot-dependant progression is in the game: The main plot decides when you get the necessary upgrades to finish exploring every level and not your skill, so steamrolling through the main plot until you get all the upgrades makes more sense than taking your time to look around - and by the time this happens you're at least 2/3ds through the game.

I was also a little bothered by the tone of writing and how the game uses a lot of soundbank files that were used by Doom, but for a couple of bucks it's proven itself quite well.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Beat Tomb Raider. Very good game when it's not doing the QTE thing. Would prefer it without the Gears of War sections but they weren't awful really, just kind of out of place. Story was surprisingly solid, looking forward to the sequels but won't play them right away. Just installed Hitman 2 2. A little worried how it will run on my 1060 at 1440p, but we'll see. If it runs like trash I'll uninstall and wait.

Insert Title Here
Baba Is You. Solve puzzles as a cute sheep, still haven't beat it since the hype a few months ago. Fun little time waster for when you feel like procrastinating a bit, my old one was the original Spelunky but I know that game like the back of my hand now.

frajaq

Erudite
Warhammer Martyr is actually decent if you buy it on sale, a lot of different ways to play it, leaping around as an Inquisition Assassin and murdering everything while being kinda squishy is very fun

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hitman 2 2 runs like trash on a 1060 so I'll put it off, getting a new card soonish. I'm in the mood for FPS trash so I installed Battlefield 3, laughed at how bad it was, then uninstalled it 20 minutes later. Gonna try Titanfall 2 now, which a lot of people not on this "everything modern sucks" black hole of a site have told me is incline. We shall see.

Dedup

Augur
I decided to play Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon before tackling Ritual of the Night. I finished normal mode and have made decent progress through nightmare mode (I just beat the two headed dragon). I'm a bit surprised that nightmare mode isn't as punishing as I thought it was going be. The bosses are a bit harder but nothing unreasonable once you've figured out what to do. All in all it's a pretty fun throwback to the old Castlevania games.

-Edit-
I've now beaten Nightmare mode. The last boss wasn't too bad. Like the rest, once you know the patterns its not hard to take the appropriate actions. It also helps that right before the boss room there's a 1up so you don't have to worry about losing all you lives and starting the level from the beginning.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom