Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Gave up on Spiderman. Too much samey bullshit.

Starting on Code Vein today (The trial/demo). Should have the full game in a couple days.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Starting on Code Vein today (The trial/demo). Should have the full game in a couple days.

First impression is...This game is not very good.

With the waifu creator, I cannot create a skinny, big tittied wifu. Only a generic body size.
And another, I create a face I like...then have to put on a Mask...WTF, Pointless.

I guess there is a "bonfire" mechanic, but it never explains it. If I happen to die, I am at the beginning of the level.

I'm getting the game via Gamefly on release...but looks like I'll be returning it early.

Demo Rating
:1/5:

Zep--

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity would be nice if the combat wasn't shit.
Ever had an asshole DM who swarmed the players with mobs if they tried exploring, or because the DM just wanted a big dumb action moment?
That's what the combat in this game feels like. Its not fun, its not interesting, its frustrating as hell and it pisses me off.

Seriously, as soon as you step 10 steps past the Caed Nul or whatever entrance you get swarmed by spirits. If you walk to the right you get swarmed by spirits. If you enter that building with the throne you get swarmed by spirits who stunlock you. If you go downstairs you get swarmed by spiders. If you go a bit further you get swarmed by spiders and beetles. Its bullshit.
Like, the combat in old CRPGs were tough, but they weren't complete fucking gauntlets where you can't leave and can't avoid combat, and at least you got EXP for your troubles, and at least the AI wasn't completely retarded. In Pillars you get nothing except rage and lost time.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seriously, as soon as you step 10 steps past the Caed Nul or whatever entrance you get swarmed by spirits. If you walk to the right you get swarmed by spirits. If you enter that building with the throne you get swarmed by spirits who stunlock you. If you go downstairs you get swarmed by spiders. If you go a bit further you get swarmed by spiders and beetles. Its bullshit.
This is probably the worst combat part of the game though. The whole initial Caed Nua scene is very annoying especially in harder difficulties

eXalted

Arcane
Hail to The King

Another fan-made Heroes III scenario. Very linear but doesn't matter. I enjoyed the good story and straightforward no-bullshit writing.
octavius I'm curious how you won the last battle. The one with the stacks of skeletons and zombies. I had to use Frost Ring to destroy my own catapult and block the gate with Force Field so I can reduce their numbers with archers until I run out of arrows. Slow didn't work because the AI was casting Haste immediately after that.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
This is probably the worst combat part of the game though. The whole initial Caed Nua scene is very annoying especially in harder difficulties

Its not just that though, Raedric's hold is pretty much the same, except with Vessals. The temple in Gilded Vale also has a tendency to swarm you with spiders and spirits, and in one room you fight like 2 of those weird goblin king things and his entourage.
Its like Obsidian wasn't sure they wanted to make Diablo or Planescape Torment, so they went for both. It doesn't work.
I have never played a RPG that punishes the player this hard for exploring and trying to play it. Like, there were some hard encounters in Planescape and Fallout, but they tended to be pretty rare and at least you got something out of it.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Its not just that though, Raedric's hold is pretty much the same, except with Vessals. The temple in Gilded Vale also has a tendency to swarm you with spiders and spirits, and in one room you fight like 2 of those weird goblin king things and his entourage.
Its like Obsidian wasn't sure they wanted to make Diablo or Planescape Torment, so they went for both. It doesn't work.
I have never played a RPG that punishes the player this hard for exploring and trying to play it.
Yeah they really got it wrong initially. Gets much better in the DLCs and in PoE2. But PoE "trash battles" are really... trash

Codex Year of the Donut
Another thing that drives me nuts is that I can't use my party's stats. Like, I have Dwarf with survival 6, and I can't use it. What's the point of having a party if you can't use their stats for dialogue options?
Using a party member's stats for dialogue options is shit because you essentially can pass every dialogue option without fail.
This is how Deadfire (sort-of) works, and essentially what I describe happens.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Played through the first chapter of Painkiller, then I uninstalled. It was a bit of a disappointment to be honest, I expected something which is closer to Doom with its gameplay.

But what it was is a bunch of arenas connected together with a door. Everytime I entered a room, the door closed and a dozen enemies spawned. After I killed them, I went through the next door, which closed behind me, and another dozen enemies spawned in the room. The gunplay was alright, but it's just so barebones. I'd rather play the original doom again, with is better level design.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Another thing that drives me nuts is that I can't use my party's stats. Like, I have Dwarf with survival 6, and I can't use it. What's the point of having a party if you can't use their stats for dialogue options?
Using a party member's stats for dialogue options is shit because you essentially can pass every dialogue option without fail.

Except that's how a traditional RPG works, and CRPGs are supposed to be based off of it. If someone in your party has a skill, he uses it.
If balance is what you are worried about, you should at least be allowed to use a part of a party member's stat. Like half of it or something in addition to yours.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Except that's how a traditional RPG works, and CRPGs are supposed to be based off of it. If someone in your party has a skill, he uses it.
If balance is what you are worried about, you should at least be allowed to use a part of a party member's stat. Like half of it or something in addition to yours.

That's a common misconception, CRPGs are inspired by P&P RPGs, and a few of them are based on them, but only a marginal number

Desolate Dancer

Educated
The way I see it, and how it should be separated is the following:
- Dialogue: If we are talking about a party-based game where you are representing only one character, the lead character, then I'd argue that this character should be the only one to influence dialogue outcomes in a direct way (in an indirect way, party-members can ofc interject). This also means that you can roleplay your current character in the game knowing that you must be consistent all thruout the game and consequently, this increases replayability. In order for this to work for every build, all attributes, races, classes and factions should be considered for the dialogue options (to a varying degree).
- Interaction: An interaction e.g. climbing up a cliff, crawling thru a crack, jumping over a destroyed bridge etc... can be complete by any character. This is legit since as a lead character you can 'instruct' any of your party-members to attempt such a task, but they are never really the initiators here either.

The problem with allowing them to interfere in dialogues in a direct way is exactly the fact that you can circumvent tension and obstacles in the game that way. Imagine you having to convince someone, and the only way to reach the best result is thru high CHA. Well, you don't have it, but you know this to be the case so you use your Bard to do that. I think it reduces roleplay value if we allow that, but Interaction does not, since the latter only simulates what one can imagine to be the part of dungeoneering... as for dialogues, one always imagine's that it is the 'lead' or the 'hero' or the 'protagonist' that handles the talking and thus, consequently the flow of the narrative. You can ofc deviate from that basic assumption, but is is not recommended.

HansDampf

Arcane
Celeste got a free new chapter. It's the longest and hardest chapter according to my time and death count (over 2000). But I also hadn't touched the game for 9 months and had to get used to the controls again.
It starts off a bit mediocre with some confusing gimmicks. But after 1/3 or 1/2 it introduces wavedashing, a "hidden" movement tech that is otherwise only used in speedruns. Now it is required throughout the remainder of the chapter. The devs put a lot of effort into explaining this tech with a ppt presentation, several tutorial screens and a ghost player showing how it's done. And yet, it's still not a complete explanation. Here is a tip: You can also diagonally dash into the ground from a standing position, but then you have to delay the jump by a few frames. Wavedashing is difficult to master, but really fun if you can string a few of them together. The chapter ends with a typical looooong C-Side-type of challenge that could take you an hour to get through. :salute:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Played through the first chapter of Painkiller, then I uninstalled. It was a bit of a disappointment to be honest, I expected something which is closer to Doom with its gameplay.

I'd suggest to endure the first Chapter of Painkiller: it's essentially an arena shooter but the Painkiller level design and amusement can be aptly described as a hill: after a frankly mediocre start it gets better and better until it starts becoming worse and worse and then nosedives in the last levels and the expansions are trying to dig a bunker.

But the "good levels", when you get enough weaponry and special cards to spice it up, are quite good.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember Painkiller being lots of fun when it first came out. I especially remember the witches flying around on brooms. Yet at the same time, I had no desire to play the sequels/expansions so it didn't have that certain something that makes a game classic.

YldriE

Learned
I guess Doom and Duke Nukem 3D levels were a succession of arenas spawning waves of trash mobs until the door opens when the last monster dies. I mean, everyone was in awe at how oldschool Painkiller was, a throwback to the good old days, a heartfelt hommage to the Doom days, surely they knew what they were talking about.

Painkiller is trash that shows almost everyone who claims to like old games is a poser who wants to appear cultured. It's not a throwback to how shooters used to be, it's what someone who never played them imagines they were.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Kickle Cubicle - it's a cool block puzzle game with some real time elements. The first three worlds are really basic, and after that the game slowly ramps up difficulty. The post game puzzles are really hard in a good way. Sadly the real time elements relate less to solving the puzzles, and more to dodging the enemies that roam around the map trying to kill you. Most of them don't interact with the puzzle elements, so they don't add much to the game beyond forcing restarts, which can be annoying in some of the longer puzzles. Overall, the puzzles are good so the game holds up.

Puukko

Arcane
Did people consider Painkiller a true successor to FPS of old? I always kind of treated it as its own thing, inspired by those games for certain but by no means claiming to be authentic to them.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mini-golf games on home computers seem to suffer from two problems: They age badly and their physics and mechanics tend to be pretty poor. Through the years I've tried my hand at Crazy Golf (1982) on the Spectrum, Mini-Putt (1987) in DOS and Zany Golf (1989). It's only in the past five years that mini-golf games have seemingly solved the second problem, so that's progress. But at least these mini-golf games were fun back in the day, but time has been really hard on them and only curious nostalgiafags will have any reason to even play them anymore. Which is precisely the reason I dug up Fuzzy's World of Miniature Space Golf (1995) and gave it a go... and it is no exception to the above.

The premise is (as always) to play a round of golf through miniaturized courses that usually have some traps gimmicks going for them. In Fuzzy's case the gimmicks are two-fold: A retro sci-fi theme, and that the golf course is located out in space. Sadly that doesn't mean that the golf ball is unaffected by gravity or inertia... quite the contrary. I'm guessing the ball is magnetically held down onto the course or something so that it doesn't shoot off into space, because at no point can the ball be launched off-track, nor even be made to fly any amount of distance, no matter how hard you whack it. Combine this with the game's wonky psuedo-isometric perspective, and you'll find that aiming the ball actually becomes quite challenging, but at least the golf-swinging interface is easy to use.

About the only upsides to this game is its aesthetics: It looks nice and the music is OK, but the gameplay is not that great. Also there are only 18 holes to play, and no further holes or editor available to extend that, so there's little replay value here.

Last edited:

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Abzu - it's an hour long walking simulator where you play as a diver who swims between corals and fish, looking at the pretty sights. The art direction is top notch, the music is great, and the game constantly hits you with beautiful sights. There's some collectibles if you're into it, but it's not worth mentioning. It's not a terribly deep game, but it definitely holds up as a short experience.
Sadly the controls are somewhat confusing for how simple the game is - the mouse is used to look around, wasd turns the swimmer around, and right click swims forward. The controls wouldn't be an issue for anyone here, but the game seems perfect for children and adults new to gaming, with how simple and short it is. I can see why this control scheme was picked, but outside of cinematic scenes there's no situation in which the player is required to swim in one direction while looking at another. Should have been one joystic / mouse to look, right click to swim, and left click to look in a different direction while swimming. In the few cinematic sequences they could have disabled camera control while keeping the player swimming.
The game should have also been about a mermaid instead of diver. It's so colorful and fantastic that a mermaid would have been a perfect fit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom