Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played some more Tales of Maj'Eral. Starting to get it. The grind, though.

curds

Magister
I never really got ToME. Didn't like the cooldowns on skills or the Diablo-style itemization.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

I tried it for the first time earlier this year, you can probably find my posts in the 'official' Codex thread somewhere.

That said, with a bit of tinkering on your end this game may end up being fun to play.

Latro

Arcane

I tried it for the first time earlier this year, you can probably find my posts in the 'official' Codex thread somewhere.

That said, with a bit of tinkering on your end this game may end up being fun to play.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-codex-of-roguelikes.71097/page-78#post-6331273

The Red Knight 's mod list seems useful here, you can adjust the boss spawns so it's not simply doing auto-explore until you run into boss that randomly one-shots you.

curds

Magister
Might and Magic VI: the first party-based RPG I've played in which circle-strafing is a valid option in combat. Honestly, I am enjoying the game, but you can tell that New World Computing was attempting to cash in on the success of Doom. Between the RT combat and massive hordes of enemies this really does feel a bit like a FPS. Weird game.

Swigen

Arbiter
Gonna get baked and play Brutal Doom 64. Pretty excited, been waiting forever for this gaem. In fact, I bought a GeForce 1050Ti specifically so I can enjoy it at MAX settings!

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
After getting through some hurdles, I've revised my list of games on my plate now.
-Grimoire (active, primary)
-Bloodstained (active, primary)
-La Mulana (active, secondary)
-Shovel Knight new expansions (inactive, tertiary)
-Hollow Knight second playthrough and to play all of the DLC for the first time (inactive, tertiary)

Citizen

Thea 2 - very realistic family camping simulator
Necrovision - amazingly entertaining FPS, off the charts levels of anime and EPICNESS. One of the games that is so over the top it's actually awesome

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unkillable Cat I found your comments in the thread, and funnily enough your problem with it, the UI, is about the only thing I don't have a problem with. I've found it very comfortable to use, without requiring a comp sci course to operate, which is part of the reason why I decided to try this over other, more interesting-sounding roguelikes. The big problem is I'm just running through boring forests and dungeons (with one exception in the sandworm one) facerolling across the number keys to activate all the active abilities 95% of the time. And the loot system makes me want to go to work instead of dealing with it.
Re: mods, I think I'd rather go with a game that doesn't need fixing.

I dunno, I'll probably keep plugging away at it over Christmas. Maybe I'm Doing It Wrong by not playing a mage.

did the first mission in zombie driver HD

kb/m controls are questionable, although i could put that down to the shit vehicle they give you, and the fact im usually hopeless at these sorts of things

very easy, hope it gets harder

that being said, whats not to like about running over people in your taxi of peace

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Still playing Dying Light The Following EE and it's addicting and enjoyable. Love so much about this game and I think it does the sandbox/open world thing better than most. Haven't hit the The Following expansion yet, still on the main game (can't wait to ride buggies and find a new grisly way to spectacularly kill the hordes - both the living and the recently dead) but I wonder if having all the DLC & QoL tweaks makes this game almost a faceroll. I deeply regret that I can't change the difficulty slider from Normal to Hard after the start of a new game because it's actually way too easy right now. However, the sheer technical wizardry (for its time), excellent and varied kill-animations, variety of zombies, and its compelling gameplay makes it a joy to play and it feels like a classic. For me, definitely on the "100 Games You Must Play Before You Die" list, but, wow, is this fucker long. What a time-sink!

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Still playing Dying Light The Following EE and it's addicting and enjoyable. Love so much about this game and I think it does the sandbox/open world thing better than most. Haven't hit the The Following expansion yet, still on the main game (can't wait to ride buggies and find a new grisly way to spectacularly kill the hordes - both the living and the recently dead) but I wonder if having all the DLC & QoL tweaks makes this game almost a faceroll. I deeply regret that I can't change the difficulty slider from Normal to Hard after the start of a new game because it's actually way too easy right now. However, the sheer technical wizardry (for its time), excellent and varied kill-animations, variety of zombies, and its compelling gameplay makes it a joy to play and it feels like a classic. For me, definitely on the "100 Games You Must Play Before You Die" list, but, wow, is this fucker long. What a time-sink!

I, too, experienced the awe and wonder of the game within the first couple of hours. I remember being scared shitless running through the city at night.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I, too, experienced the awe and wonder of the game within the first couple of hours. I remember being scared shitless running through the city at night.

It's all too rare that a fairly recent release (in the grand scheme of things) gives you that good ol' fresh feeling that you had when you first started gaming so this must be something special. The scariest thing for me is when I make too much noise with my boom-stick then I hear the undead hordes roar their collective scream from a distance followed by relentless pursuit of three, four or more of the recently infected (5X faster than the normal shufflers) chasing me up a pole like Daniel Boone where the bear was bigger so he ran like a <insert or gently caress racist term here that rhymes with "bigger") up a tree. But, yeah, nighttime missions are nerve wracking. Though I play on normal, the game attempts to keep introducing stepped up challenges or increasingly aggressive behaviors from baddies in an attempt to make it more difficult instead of easier as you go along, like most cRPGs. Anyone know what Hard difficulty entails? Worth it or too artificial? DL seems like it could be quite replayable.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
The big problem is I'm just running through boring forests and dungeons (with one exception in the sandworm one) facerolling across the number keys to activate all the active abilities 95% of the time.
I can tolerate this grind somewhat thanks to the amount of classes this game offers, even if not all of them are fun to play as.
This is probably the reason why enjoyed the arena mode a fair bit.

I am also trying the Age of Wonders 2 and it's Shadow Magic expansion at the same time.
They changed a lot of things and introduced a bit more complexity in some places. There is now more town development options, you have a dedicated wizard character for all your spell needs and it seems that it's not so easy to make an uber warrior-hero as it was in the first game. I am going to miss my badass who used to leap over the walls and cleave through tens of enemy men all by himself.
I wouldn't call it ugly looking, but the first game overall looked better.
Edit: Now that i think about it i didn't say anything that hasn't already been said.

Last edited:
Anyone know what Hard difficulty entails? Worth it or too artificial? DL seems like it could be quite replayable.

Well, I only played hard difficulty so I don't explicitly know what the difference is, but I found it incredibly tedious starting out. Even common enemies were massive HP sponges, sort of like when you play an Elder Scrolls game on the highest difficulty (have to play very cat and mouse or abuse shit like standing on an unreachable ledge). One of the tutorialish bosses took several tries and a whole lot of whacking. Once you crafted the items and leveled a bit it felt pretty normal-y with enemies dying in a few hits. Basically you just had to always run around with those top-tier crafted elemental weapons.

Dying light was pretty neat from a gameplay standpoint but I found the whole plot and characters awful and things dragged on way too much. Dropped it shortly after reaching the 2nd big area where the usual suspect enemies ruin things.

EDIT: Actually, checking the game out again I think that I was playing on nightmare. Presumably Hard is in the middle

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Anyone know what Hard difficulty entails? Worth it or too artificial? DL seems like it could be quite replayable.

EDIT: Actually, checking the game out again I think that I was playing on nightmare. Presumably Hard is in the middle

There's a Nightmare mode in Dying Light? Man, you must be a masochist. I just remembered that the whimpering zombie baby-things with their powerful psychic attack, similar to the Controllers in S.T.A.L.K.E.R, were pretty freaky and scary when first encountered and

TEN times more deadly than the Controllers in at least one part of the game I've encountered.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing Bomb squad academy, a puzzle game. Quite short, I'm one hour in and I think it wouldn't take more than one hour to clear the remaining puzzles. It's based around electrical circuits (quite simplified, if my memories of high school physic serves me right), with the goal of each puzzle being to defuse a bomb, by routing electrical currents to the defusing part of it.
There are a few elements (AND,OR,XOR gates, switches, timers, capacitors, cables to cut) to which to use. Each element is brought in a series of levels of increasing difficulties. Each bomb is on a timer, but the penalty is nill, since you can start again that puzzle immediately. It's kinda easy, but I think the devs went that way on the difficulty so that the puzzles are doable in the time limit (between 30s & 2 mins). Also it's weird how a few time I successfully defused a bomb, but had to go back and do it again to understand how it worked.

I got it in the latest sale, I'd say it's a tad expensive at 4.99 for less than 2 hours.

I'm also still playing Tomb Raider: the last revelation, I suck so much (which is understandable since it's the first time I'm playing a platformer like this), but it's still fun.

I finished Tomb Raider 4. I've started on the first one, because why not. Not as good-looking, draw distance is way too short, but the basic controls haven't changed a lot, so I don't have as much difficulty as when I was starting, I'm just missing a sprint button.

Got the T-Rex

773EA1B81732D8052DB4AD6F668017BCF3F69A69

Last edited:

cosmicray

Savant
Well, I only played hard difficulty so I don't explicitly know what the difference is, but I found it incredibly tedious starting out. Even common enemies were massive HP sponges, sort of like when you play an Elder Scrolls game on the highest difficulty (have to play very cat and mouse or abuse shit like standing on an unreachable ledge). One of the tutorialish bosses took several tries and a whole lot of whacking. Once you crafted the items and leveled a bit it felt pretty normal-y with enemies dying in a few hits. Basically you just had to always run around with those top-tier crafted elemental weapons.

I've just started playing and I think you were describing the Hard difficulty since it's too similar to my experience. But maybe you're that good to play it on Nightmare.

I've just started playing and I think you were describing the Hard difficulty since it's too similar to my experience. But maybe you're that good to play it on Nightmare.

Get used to kicking guys into spikes for a few levels, game is basically a modern Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I think the blueprints and stuff you find in the store is level scaled.

Machocruz

Arcane
Biggest surprise about Dying Light is how big it is. 50+ yours played and i still have a good amount of main quest to go, and sidequests keep popping up. There seems no end to them. And I haven't even touched the extra challenges or collectible gathering.
:shredder:

I've died quite a bit too. More than any AAA game I've played in a long time. Falling deaths, explosions, getting into gangbang situations with regular zombies. Some of it is cheap, as there is an enemy that can instakill you if you are too close, and they like to have it pop out of locked rooms or around corners in tight quarters, or come behind a group of zombies, which obscures its presence. Sometimes you can hear it before you see it, sometimes you can't. Also I get a little tired of regular zombies spamming their grab more and more as the game goes on. The grapple and instant escape moves you can use to counter this don't seem to trigger consistently when I input the keys. Pisses me off sometimes.

I usually never finish open world games, and I have my doubts I that I'll finish this one, but damn I'm going to try . It's that good. May even 100% it. I can do this if I spread playtime over the course of a few months, to avoid burnout. All sidequests is the bare minimum completion I'm going for.

One thing I always thought was strange that I see in a few AAA games: why is there a progress bar for crafting? The crafting process is takes place in your pause menu, you can't be interrupted, you don't lose important in- game time (like in Cataclysm DDA) so why is there a time/duration factor? Is this stealth loading or something? Every other action with a duration you can be attacked during, which is how it should work.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom