Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

JDR13

Arcane
Witcher 1 is still the best of the trilogy despite the problems though.

I'm not sure if I could pick a best Witcher game. The series as a whole is definitely one of my favorites though.

I really like the plot in TW1, and it has one of my favorite soundtracks of any game, but the aforementioned backtracking does bring it down a bit.

TW2 has the most significant C&C and the best combat in the series. It's a little on the short side though, and the bestiary isn't as varied as the other games.

TW3 has the best writing and characters but is brought down somewhat by the terrible loot system.

Overall I think I liked 2 the best. The overall story has better pace and structure, although the highest point of Witcher 3 is better (The Baron and the witches arc).

I enjoyed the combat in both, although is very flawed. But for a RPG worked well.

Size of the areas in W2 were the correct one to avoid pointless hiking, but interesting to explore. The world in 3 was very well executed for its big size, but I'm not a big fan of open world games these days.

The worst aspect in W3 is the loot, I agree. The diablo style scaled loot was a shitshow. Whit a proper equipment and weapon system the exploration would have been much better. That would have improved the sense of the world. It was cool idea to search for areas with legendary witcher loot, but 1 hour after that equipment is obsolete, and not only that, but everthing you find is pointless compared to that witcher equipment, no matter what, really stupid.

Character progression was dull in both, but doesn't avoid game enjoyment. I have to make one day a potion build inW2, that seems the proper one and more fun than focus on magic mastery.

Overall the games are greater thant the sum of their parts. But except for story they are every inferior to the king Dragon's Dogma.

I agree with everything you said there except for the very last sentence.

Egosphere

Arcane
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.
Like the writing, but I hate some of the level design, especially the Silent Cathedral with the endless spawning spider-ghouls. Stuck in the drowned abbey now, can't make the jump across some pillars without falling into the water again and again.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Playing Dex right now. It's always about trying to return to those first great gaming experiences as a kid/teen for me, like a manic-depressive psychotic trying to return to its mother's womb. In this case, Neuromancer and Shadowrun (SNES version). I fucking loved those two games so anything that reminds me of them puts me in a happy place. Dex so far really captures the spirit of those two games. However, I'm not the best at twin-stick shooters but I better get gud if I want to succeed since that's the whole point of selecting and playing this game for me -- for the pure cyberpunk and that warm, cozy place in cyberspace battling AI and black ice that takes me back. Let's see how this goes..

cw8

Cipher
Starsector, blowing everything up with a carrier fleet which I built over sometime and watching the carnage from afar is so satisfying.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Still not finished Metroid Fusion. Vacation did wonders for focus and time to spend on gaming, but now that I'm back to the rat race I feel like thousands things trying to drag me into various direction and feel unfocused. Started playing a bit Persona (PSP version), never knew that portions of the game are dungeon crawler-like navigation.

Puukko

Arcane
Still not finished Metroid Fusion. Vacation did wonders for focus and time to spend on gaming, but now that I'm back to the rat race I feel like thousands things trying to drag me into various direction and feel unfocused. Started playing a bit Persona (PSP version), never knew that portions of the game are dungeon crawler-like navigation.
The original PSX version has a final dungeon that can take an hour, with no save point at the end before the final boss.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I heard the PSP remake is better, unlike the one for Persona 2a where they dumped down difficulty

Puukko

Arcane
I heard the PSP remake is better, unlike the one for Persona 2a where they dumped down difficulty
They changed the OST a lot though, with vocal tracks that can apparently get pretty repetitive. That's the biggest criticism people have for the remake afaik. I have a couple buddies who are playing the original at the moment - I'd probably personally play the remake.

Viata

Arcane
It goes like this:
Have you played the original? Yes, then you can replay it with the remake.
If not, go for the remake first. If you enjoy, you can always try the original(which is quite good, just that the american version sucks bad) for the superior OST and extra content.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It goes like this:
If not, go for the remake first. If you enjoy, you can always try the original(which is quite good, just that the american version sucks bad) for the superior OST and extra content.

I thought the PSP has extra content over the original, is it the other way round?

Viata

Arcane
It goes like this:

I thought the PSP has extra content over the original, is it the other way round?
Ignore it, I'm on drugs.
I was sure the PSP didn't have the Snow Queen quest, but it's the english version of PS1 that doesn't. So yeah, only for the ost then.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I installed both Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come Deliverance at the same time.
I dropped the latter and just finished the former.

I think Kingdom Come suffers from a pretty bad opening and Henry is such a boring protagonist. It has a much more in-depth alchemy system but most of the 'RPG' didn't really feel like RPG at all. It's not that TW3 is a better game with its beyond repair leveling and gear system. I just had more compulsion to play Geralt's story than Henry's. I did finish both games before.

I feel both games are suffering from 'samey gameplay' syndrome but in a way, TW3 fantasy setting made it easier for them to introduce new foes with new moves in their DLCs compared to KCD that had to rely more on set-pieces peppered with Cuman in Armor #1 and Bandit with Bow #37.

unknown.png

Puukko

Arcane
It goes like this:

Ignore it, I'm on drugs.
I was sure the PSP didn't have the Snow Queen quest, but it's the english version of PS1 that doesn't. So yeah, only for the ost then.

Here's an in depth comparison. The rest of this video series is worth watching as well.

Dramart

Learned
Icewind Dale. I played it a long long time ago. So far is not as good as Icewind Dale 2 or Baldur's Gate 2, the bows are broken compared to melee, you miss every attack with melee, bows rarely do, but they are so op that is not even fun to play. Still you need to invest on melee weapons with crushing damage otherwise you can kill certain types of enemies like mummies or shadows. It has a lot of enemy encounters, too much of them. Also, there are to many traps, way too many to the point is gets really annoying. Probably I'm not going to finish it. If you had a bad experience with the first Icewind Dale and never bothered with this series again, I recommend to give the second game a chance.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Today on Fuck You David W. Bradley: you would think the save button in Wizards & Warriors, which brings up the save menu and lets you save the game, always works the same way.

But it is not so. Sometimes, it becomes a load game button. The icon is in the same place, looks the same and brings up what looks like the same menu, but clicking on a save slot now loads the save instead of saving over it.

David W. Bradley, you card, you've done it again. :martini:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing Yooka-Laylee. So far so good. A Hat in Time made me happier, although the camera here is better.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Been playing some HoMM 3 user made maps.

Treasure of the Elves turned out to be impossible on Impossible, but when I played on Hard it kept crashing on the computer's turn after a while. Very annoying since it was a very promising map.

Fall and Rise of the Sharai is made by same mapmaker who made the classic Lord of War. I thought that was her last map, but she started using a nic instead of her real name.
Starts out as a story driven map, but turns into an epic war map, with you in the middle of the map. Starting as a Fortress you will never be able to get Town Portal in your own towns, and you can't afford to lose your own HQ, so you have to consider carefully where to expand. Very strategic map, being both open and dynamic, with some of the enemies being allied with each other and others being enemies, so anything can happen.
Excellent map which showcases how well the Fortress can defend against overwhelming odds.
ReadMe said play it on Hard, but should be doable on Impossible, since like in Lord of War you get lots of stuff through events in the beginning turns.

Grandmaster is very different. It's a a semi open (lots of quest guards and border guards) map with static enemies. But it's a tour-de-force of creativity and clever design, with a rich background story. The writing is good, and confined to hero bios (several starting as prisoners) and events, of which many take place behind Inns and Stables. Nice change of pace from too many maps that throw walls of bad fan fiction at you in classic Heroes Chronicles style. If there's one thing I really hate it's when a game uses dozens of pages to tell me what my character feels and dreams.
Anyway, this is probably the best HoMM 3 map I've played, with so much to explore and discover.
Not a map for casuals or if you want something you can finish in an evening. An extremely intricate map where it pays to play slowly and really plan ahead. I think it took me about a week to finish.

Next game on my play list is Icewind Dale. I've played it several times, twice with conventional parties (with and without a bard), once with a LOTR themed party, and once soloing a F/M/T. This time I'll play the original game without the expansion, and with a Sword&Sorcery power trio of Gray Mouser, Fafhrd and Cappen Varra.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Dex so far really captures the spirit of those two games. However, I'm not the best at twin-stick shooters but I better get gud if I want to succeed since that's the whole point of selecting and playing this game for me -- for the pure cyberpunk and that warm, cozy place in cyberspace battling AI and black ice that takes me back. Let's see how this goes..

Twin-stick shooter? Isn't Dex a 2D side-scroller, or am I thinking of the wrong game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom