Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So after some preliminary testing for the games I listed:
-Baldur's Gate vanilla works but has that graphical glitch that renders the fog of war as weird rectangles. BG:EE works but since I can't turn off the extra story content, I really don't want to use it.
-Deus Ex launches fine.
-Fallout works if I use the widescreen patch the game comes with on GOG. Won't launch otherwise.
-Gothic doesn't work at all right now so if I wanted to do this I would need to do some legwork.
-Jagged Alliance 2 doesn't work either. Side note, do people here recommend the game in it's base form, or do they use some mod nowadays?
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R. seems to launch just fine. No idea how it will work afterwards.

Still don't know which one I'll do first. Might swap out Risen for Gothic if technical problems persist, or play original Diablo instead while I figure things out, since I bought that a while ago and never played it either.

Weird, I've never had any of those issues with those games. What OS are you trying to run them on?

Also, the extra story content in BG:EE is minimal. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.
Windows 10. I have 2 monitors so maybe that's messing stuff up. I'll try unplugging the second one and trying again later.

JDR13

Arcane
So after some preliminary testing for the games I listed:
-Baldur's Gate vanilla works but has that graphical glitch that renders the fog of war as weird rectangles. BG:EE works but since I can't turn off the extra story content, I really don't want to use it.
-Deus Ex launches fine.
-Fallout works if I use the widescreen patch the game comes with on GOG. Won't launch otherwise.
-Gothic doesn't work at all right now so if I wanted to do this I would need to do some legwork.
-Jagged Alliance 2 doesn't work either. Side note, do people here recommend the game in it's base form, or do they use some mod nowadays?
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R. seems to launch just fine. No idea how it will work afterwards.

Still don't know which one I'll do first. Might swap out Risen for Gothic if technical problems persist, or play original Diablo instead while I figure things out, since I bought that a while ago and never played it either.

Weird, I've never had any of those issues with those games. What OS are you trying to run them on?

Also, the extra story content in BG:EE is minimal. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.
Windows 10. I have 2 monitors so maybe that's messing stuff up. I'll try unplugging the second one and trying again later.

There are a couple of extra patches you'll want for Gothic. - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=820776570

cosmicray

Savant
W3 is pretty dumb when it comes to the main story, but it shines in side-content. Consider turning off points of interest and quest compass if you do play it.
I founf myself enjoying the game the most when I just loaded and decided to take stroll through the land and complete a contract or two and maybe then push the story a little forward.
Unfortunately, it's not really an option to turn marker off(in vanilla at least) since you aren't given enough info where to go even to receive a quest.

cosmicray

Savant
Tried Castlevania: Lords of Shadow today. I was in the mood for something with vampires, and the series has been sitting in my Steam library for years.

I thought it was ok but some of the platforming was hard because of the camera. I had high hopes for the series after the game was released, but apparently hardcore fans disliked it because they wanted more shitty handheld sequels, and LoS 2 was total dogshit
I thoroughly enjoyed it back in the day. Art direction and music were top notch. The style/themes might have been over the top(if I remember correctly there's even some Mayan/Aztec ruins), but at least the game was variable enough. Gameplay was adequate, nothing fancy, lots of loans from other games with no innovation, but I had fun.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Was playing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux because I never played a Myst-type game before where you dodder around like a patient on advanced heart medication where the purpose is to avoid any kind of excitement and just look at scenery and go, "Oooh, that's sooo pretty! Oh, and dere's a puzzle here with levers and everything!". Boooooring. Well at least I got that out of my system and won't be playing another in that genre anytime soon. If I can't kill things at least let me be chased by things that want to kill things (Penumbra, Amnesia)

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I began Ys 8 last weekend as my first Ys game blind and didn't know what to expect. It came off at first as similar to Ocarina of Time minus puzzles, a very AA game in every aspect, but has quickly formed its own identity with its great combat system, music, and setting. I'm almost 20 hours in.

JDR13

Arcane
W3 is pretty dumb when it comes to the main story, but it shines in side-content. Consider turning off points of interest and quest compass if you do play it.
I founf myself enjoying the game the most when I just loaded and decided to take stroll through the land and complete a contract or two and maybe then push the story a little forward.
Unfortunately, it's not really an option to turn marker off(in vanilla at least) since you aren't given enough info where to go even to receive a quest.

You can turn off the mini-map and just pull up the main map when you need to, and it makes the game a lot more immersiive imo.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Rome 2 TW as Pontus. The AI is still shit, but hey they introduced sun rays and a somewhat functional family tree. Better late than never, I guess.

blurbo

Novice
A Legionary's Life - It's a competently written text adventure game with nicely done turn-based combat set during the 2nd punic war (with permadeath!). Minimal graphics with just a handful of simple backdrops and no animations, but the soundtrack is pretty good. Half of the time goes to training your sword/shield skills, the other half is spent trying to win all the optional duels, some of which are triggered by random events.

Also, the skill thresholds for both the harder fights and some events in adventure mode (like winning the mural crowns) are very demanding, so you're basically forced to complete the game a bunch of times in order to invest the extra attribute points at the character creation screen for the next playthrough.

The meat of the game is in the duel mechanics though, because it strikes you with many options and it takes some time to figure out when to use them, nothing too complicated but still enjoyable. Anyway I had a lot of fun and it's like 7€ on steam.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember trying Fear and bouncing hard enough that I refunded the game on Steam. But then it was like 5 years ago (I didn't played it on release for some reason), so I don't remember why, maybe because I was more into popamole/regenerating health/"cinematic" shooters (ok, CoD) at the time, which plays rather differently. Maybe I'll have to give it another try.

I'd definitely give it another go if you're into more stuff now, it's in my top 10 shooters of all time. The complete collection with expansions is $2.99 right now in the GOG sale. You might like 2 and 3 more, as they're more like CoD.

I've started playing Fear and yeah, it's goddamn fun, except for the horror segments, which I'm not enjoying, but that's not surprising since I don't like horror games. The shooting feels solid, the weapons (like Penetrator and the shotgun) are fun to shoot, especially when using the slow motion. I've heard the IA of the enemies being praised, but I haven't seen anything spectacular or even above other shooters I've played; perhaps it was just compared to IA of other shooters released around the same time. I would also have preferred having more than 3 weapons, but that's better than 2. Anyway thanks for the advice, you were right.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, the first FEAR is great. The sequels...not so much. I think I went into a tirade earlier about them in the thread, but basically, they took everything awesome about the first game, scrapped it and replaced it with generic popamole shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've started playing Fear and yeah, it's goddamn fun, except for the horror segments, which I'm not enjoying, but that's not surprising since I don't like horror games. The shooting feels solid, the weapons (like Penetrator and the shotgun) are fun to shoot, especially when using the slow motion. I've heard the IA of the enemies being praised, but I haven't seen anything spectacular or even above other shooters I've played; perhaps it was just compared to IA of other shooters released around the same time. I would also have preferred having more than 3 weapons, but that's better than 2. Anyway thanks for the advice, you were right.

Glad you're liking it. I'm not really a horror guy either, I play it for the combat too. The shotgun is great the whole game, even at mid-range, and is my go-to weapon. The rifle is pretty required too. The third one I alternate. 3 weapon limit is kind of meh but I do like that it makes you choose sometimes. One kind of lame thing about the game (and the expansions that I am playing now) is that it always gives you a rocket launcher before a mech fight, so you know they're coming. No weapon limit would have avoided that.

Yeah, the first FEAR is great. The sequels...not so much. I think I went into a tirade earlier about them in the thread, but basically, they took everything awesome about the first game, scrapped it and replaced it with generic popamole shit.

Since he said he likes CoD style shooters I'd guess he'll like the sequels too. I remember FEAR 2's problem being more about being designed for gamepads than it being like CoD though, but I barely remember it. I might play it again after I finish the expansions.

typical user

Arbiter
Jagged Alliance 2 on Expert with Tons of Guns. Man nuXCOM doesn't match this game attention to detail and it was released in '98. Currently I am trying to assault Alma and have trouble with soldiers who must have NV goggles equpped by default. Although it is a sight to behold when you prep TNT next to hangar's wall and hit couple of enemies inside while also shredding them with lead and making gas barrels explode with stray bullets. Shit like that makes for unforgettable moments. Or killing squad of 15 in wilderness without single injury by lying prone next to trees in broad daylight while enemies run around in terror as they can't detect my mercs and are slaughtered each turn. I kinda wonder if I am going to make it but the sweet gear for my mercs should secure a win in this war. Without scopes, laser-sights, goggles and headphones it's hard to fight enemies who are accurate, can see you further at night and have superior numbers. Good thing they don't use illumination mortar shells or landmines as I would be fucked at night-ops.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Glad you're liking it. I'm not really a horror guy either, I play it for the combat too. The shotgun is great the whole game, even at mid-range, and is my go-to weapon. The rifle is pretty required too. The third one I alternate. 3 weapon limit is kind of meh but I do like that it makes you choose sometimes. One kind of lame thing about the game (and the expansions that I am playing now) is that it always gives you a rocket launcher before a mech fight, so you know they're coming. No weapon limit would have avoided that.

For the moment I'm using shotgun, rifle and penetrator, I'm finding it harder to use compared to the assault rifle, but much more satisfying when I successfully nail enemies to the walls.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Finished Legend of the Mystical Ninja (aka Ganbare Goemon 1) on the SNES, but honestly didn't like it as much as I did the first time around. The hitbox in the game is very ungenerous and often leads you get hit and stunlocked in really annoying ways and while the graphics are really neat and there's a lot of varied things to explore in the city levels, the core platforming didn't felt as good as in better platformers.

EPyGvW9U8AEfa7m

Now I have to see whether I go back to any of the thousands of games I started before or whether I start an entirely new game

Poseidon00

Arcane
Deathrow, a frisbee/action game for the Xbox with a few rpg elements. You can win by just kicking the shit out of the opponents team instead of playing, and then it turns into a brawl next round. Good for multiplayer.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Induction – It’s a 2d puzzle game where you need to get to the exit. You give commands to one character, and then you switch to another as the level resets, and the first character you controlled does a replay of your actions while you keep control the second character. So the first characters goes to stand on a button that opens a gate, you switch characters, and then the first character retraces it’s movement and goes to stand on the button, while your current character can pass through the gate and walk to the exit.
It’s an ok concept, but I’ve played it before. Echoshift and ECHOPLEX used it before (despite the name similarity, they were made by different companies).
The problem with this concept, that’s present in all three games, is that the puzzles are in real time and require you to coordinate actions between characters in real time.
So you need to press the button, estimate how long it would take the other character to pass the gate, and only than can you leave the button. So often puzzles are less about thinking, and more about estimating the time it would take you to do different actions.
The obvious solution is to make these games turn based. Sadly, Induction is in real time, so I can’t recommend it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

For the moment I'm using shotgun, rifle and penetrator, I'm finding it harder to use compared to the assault rifle, but much more satisfying when I successfully nail enemies to the walls.

The thing about the penetrator is that it has a lower rate of fire and slower projectile velocity, but it deals a lot more damage, especially against armored targets. I personally love that gun, and late game you'll get a lot of ammo for it. You'll need it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The thing about the penetrator is that it has a lower rate of fire and slower projectile velocity, but it deals a lot more damage, especially against armored targets. I personally love that gun, and late game you'll get a lot of ammo for it. You'll need it.

Yeah, it's very subjective though because the low rate of fire annoys me more than the slightly upgraded damage excites me. Also toward the end of the game you'll start getting a lot of the plasma type gun's ammo, and that thing is infinitely better.

Extraction Point adds a chaingun that has horrible recoil and a neat laser gun you barely ever see.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Yesterday I finally decided to give Underrails a go.
For the first time.

Oh my GOD. Why I have waited so long???? This game is ... is... I don't find the words.

:bravo:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
What do you like about it?
Differrent things, the setting, the rpg mechanics, the turn-based combats, the sense of exploration, a kind of (old) fallout feeling... However, I let speak a review I found on steam that clarify better how is the state of the matter:

Krotchey
0.2 hrs

POSTED: 1 FEBRUARY
No idea what's going on in this game.. tons of text boxes and all these stats and menus in your face. Probably really good for people who like really old rpgs from the 80's

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom