Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Soooo... it looks like the real problem for you was not the use and abuse of slow-motion, just that it was too hard.

Hard isn't really hard... at least not as of Interval 6 where I am. If you pop slo-mo at the start of every fight and play the game almost entirely in slow motion then it's still easy. The problem is, I don't want to do that. It's fucking boring and even more "consolized" than the game already is.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
After replaying Icewind Dale again I felt a craving for more AD&D stirring in my...uh not loins excectly, but anyway I was inspired to resume my playthrough of the Realms Eastlands campaign for FRUA. I rage quit C1, Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan over a year ago due to unavoidable party death traps and generally the design constantly reducing HP from traps and events, while the monsters are pitifully weak, which is the excact opposite of what I prefer.
Adventure module C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan was not only adapted from a tournament adventure (not unusual for early AD&D adventure modules) but had a scoring system in which points were awarded for being careful and cautious and deducted for being rash and foolish, with large point awards made for the number of characters escaping the Shrine (alive) within the 2-hour time limit allowed by the tournament. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

I completed HSoT and decided it was the weakest Realms module I've played so far. Currently playing X3, Curse of Xanathon, which is an improvement, but it would have been more fun and challenging with a lower level party.
A classic D&D Known World adventure module! :obviously:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Decided to play Lords of Midnight again, now that it's free on GOG.
I practically lived this game when I was kid, and used to have Accept with Midnight Mover and Cold Winter Nights playing in the background.

Over the years I've tried several versions, and they all lacked in some respects. Either there were bugs or features missing, or no auto-map, or both.
So I had initially high hopes for the GOG version since it has quite a nice auto-map.
But then I got worried about the battle results. The fearless Lord Blood's 1200 Riders, who would usually kill 1275 of the Doomguard in the initial assault on the Keep of Blood, only killed like 200-300.

Same with other lords; kill rates seem to be 1/4 of the original Spectrum version.
Doomdark's troops seem to deal the same damage as before, though.

This means the game will be harder, which is a plus, but it will also mean a more drawn out affair, which is more of a minus.

So I'm giving up this game for the time being. Probably for good, since it doesn't look like it will get more updates.

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
The Guild 2: Renaissance with Fajeth's MegaMod Pack. Grindy and repetitive, yet charming and fun. This essential mod brings a lot of features and additions to the table, including a re-worked money lender specialization.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finished Titanfall 2 and Geneforge 1. I'll try to finish X-Com: Apocalypse within the next few days. Gotta clean up the backlog.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Kingdom Come Deliverance Royal Edition and liked it.Good graphics,good enough story and characters,gameplay was good enough although sometimes combat can feel a bit clunky,the world is nice too.The game goes for historical accuracy which is nice although there are some drawbacks to that,expect to see a lot of samey brown buildings/houses.Among the dlc I would say A woman's Lot was the best with both questlines being good,From the Ashes was the weakest imho. In the end it's a good game worth your time and money,recommended.

Also played Hitman Absolution for a few hours before giving up and uninstalling,it's not a good game,graphics are good and hold up surprisingly well but everything else,gamepley,mission/map design,story characters etc are sub par,not recommended

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Man, the FEAR 2 expansion pack "Reborn" is literally like an hour long. :lol:

Anyway, finished FEAR 2. All the issues with the game are rooted in the Xbox 360 honestly, if you take that stuff away that I ranted about last time it's not a horrible game or anything. It's ten times better than some shit that came out back then like Blacksite or Turok or whatever. Hard mode is a slo-mo and use cover kind of game by necessity, while normal can be played run n' gun style. I ended up switching back and forth multiple times, but played on hard mostly. The end boss is a pain in the ass on normal and hard, either way it's fucking stupid to give you the fastest enemy in the game and take away your slo-mo. Who the hell thought of that? Reborn is like an extra level of the same shit, set in the same crumbling city location as one of the main game's levels. Meh.

All in all a good game by "Xbox console port shooter of the 2000s" standards, but a hot wet urine stream to the face compared to the original.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Man, I own all the Civilization series but for some reason, the only one I seem to play is #3 :( I need to do something about that.

Also finished Ultima VII once again surprisingly without a lot of outside help (I think I used a walkthrough a lot when I did it last time ?) and am planning on starting Kentucky Zero tonight.

Also having lots of fun on PS NOW with Horizon Zero Dawn, which works flawlessly and I am starting to get fond of, even though it's nothing special.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Anyway, finished FEAR 2. All the issues with the game are rooted in the Xbox 360 honestly, if you take that stuff away that I ranted about last time it's not a horrible game or anything.

Before someone reads this and gets fooled - FEAR2 is in fact a horrible, horrible game. The "get sodomised with a jackhammer while having an icepick swing into your forehead" kind of horrible. The "kill your mother, rape your dog" kind of horrible. The "please put me out of my misery let it end already what have I done to deserve this" kind of horrible.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Spent a whole day playing Shadowrun Returns, what an absolute treat. Had I known it's based on Rifts, wouldn't have waited this long to play it. Mind blown.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Spent a whole day playing Shadowrun Returns, what an absolute treat. Had I known it's based on Rifts, wouldn't have waited this long to play it. Mind blown.

Issue I have, aside from limiting nature of the Unity engine they use, is the fact both Dragonfall and Hong Kong have a set cast of playable characters you're expected to use versus putting together a team of Runners on your own. You CAN do the latter, but your companions work for free and you'll need money to keep your arsenal up to snuff. It's not like they're bad characters or anything, though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Before someone reads this and gets fooled - FEAR2 is in fact a horrible, horrible game. The "get sodomised with a jackhammer while having an icepick swing into your forehead" kind of horrible. The "kill your mother, rape your dog" kind of horrible. The "please put me out of my misery let it end already what have I done to deserve this" kind of horrible.

You're like the poster boy for "no gradient enjoyment scales!" Codex angst, Darth.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Issue I have, aside from limiting nature of the Unity engine they use, is the fact both Dragonfall and Hong Kong have a set cast of playable characters you're expected to use versus putting together a team of Runners on your own. You CAN do the latter, but your companions work for free and you'll need money to keep your arsenal up to snuff. It's not like they're bad characters or anything, though.

Yeah, it would be nice if I could recruit friends for every mission and save money. But it's not too bad, often I have nothing to buy, then next mission I'm going solo because no money.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Anyway, finished FEAR 2. All the issues with the game are rooted in the Xbox 360 honestly, if you take that stuff away that I ranted about last time it's not a horrible game or anything.

Sorry, but there's no way I'm gonna play this game just to upscale your verdict, like I did the last time. ;)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The reason you don't go insanely overboard with the "horrible!" hyperbole on a game like FEAR 2 is that there are much, much, muuuuuch worse FPS games out there. For example: FEAR 3!

Just played the first two levels and my god, it's so bad. They went full Call of Duty popamole, with even a fucking cover system. The slo-mo is weakened and the enemies almost always stay at range, so you're constantly popping in and out of cover with an assault rifle looking for heads. I forgot how co-op focused it was too, with score pop-ups and "secrets" to find in plain sight that give you bonus points. It's that lovely kind of Xbox 360 brown too, at least for two levels, and looks pretty bland and ugly. Only redeeming quality (for singleplayer anyway) is that it's not as trash as shit like Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. Gradient scales go down low enough even FEAR 3 is better than stuff.

Not sure I'll finish this one, so... FEAR is a 10 out of 10 classic, amazing game. FEAR 2 is the same kind of game but heavily compromised by Xbox 360 design, your mileage may vary. FEAR 3 is total trash unless you're a co-op slut. Thank you and goodnight.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been replaying Fable 3. It's not very good. To keep the promises you made, you have to buy up the real estate of the entire kingdom and wait for ages on end for your income to accrue. I have the game running in a window while I do other things so I can get that cash bro. Horrible design.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Finished Kingdom Come Deliverance Royal Edition and liked it.Good graphics,good enough story and characters,gameplay was good enough although sometimes combat can feel a bit clunky,the world is nice too.The game goes for historical accuracy which is nice although there are some drawbacks to that,expect to see a lot of samey brown buildings/houses.Among the dlc I would say A woman's Lot was the best with both questlines being good,From the Ashes was the weakest imho. In the end it's a good game worth your time and money,recommended.

I think most players would struggle a lot with 'finding the fun' if they're not the patient sort. I certainly am losing interest rapidly after the first 1.5 hours of introduction. But once the game lets you off the leash, you're still left with a sense of 'what am I to do now.'

It took me a while to discover the dice game, training Henry's repair skills to save money and get better at surviving the combat. Eventually, I got into a routine where I'd just spend most of the time training in the morning, winning archery master competitions, playing dice games till the tavern closes before going on the main quest. I also discovered I don't need to learn Reading to start working on Alchemy. That was fun translating jumbled letters into words. And with Hardcore mode removing compass directions, the first hour of leaving town is spent getting lost until I realize I had to use the sun and landmarks to orient myself.

Wunderbar

Arcane
25232.jpg
this guy reads

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom