Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I 100%'d Nier: Automata. What. A. Game.

I did the last few endings yesterday, saving ending E for last, which wipes out all your saved data.

The story, is as Yoko Taro fans know, pretty wild, but it was fairly tame compared to some of his other games. I will pat myself on the shoulder and say that I did guess right at some of the bigger plot points. It's more how he lays them out for the player that I enjoy. Couple that with the superb soundtrack (even better than the first game) and the overall atmosphere of the game, and everything gels in a great way. Most likely, if you don't like JRPGs, you probably won't care much for this either.

Gameplay is solid. Character action combat with bullet hell mixed in, even if it's much simpler than something like the best character action games out there, it works well. Some sections are side scrolling and others are from a top-down view. Overall, it's a nice mix of things. There's also the hacking mini game that plays like a twin stick shooter. None of the combat styles are bad. Side Quests are mostly about helping people. It can be everything from, go beat that machine, to go get me this or that, or to get me photos of these places. I like the quests because oftentimes, they build up the world or lore of the game, even if some of them could be better from a design perspective. The world isn't annoyingly big and there are teleporters scattered around the world, which helps to mitigate travel times.

I'd like to talk more about the story, but I don't want to ruin it for possible newcomers to the game. In general, a great game with cool plot and good gameplay. Well worth your time if you don't hate Japanese games or action games.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I just finished Betrayal at Krondor.

There are hundreds of great reviews of this game out there everyone can read if they want to know what this game is, so I'll spare the details. Let me just say, it's as good a game as people say it is. Some of the best writing in any videogame, period. Plus, good combat, good exploration, fairly decent presentation for a game from 1993. The last third of the game changes things up enough to keep it interesting when otherwise fatigue could start setting in. It's the real deal, a true classic. Very much still worth playing.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Finished phoenix wright trilogy relases for steam.

Good:
-Updated art retains the original charm while upping the resolution.
-No changes in the original script.
-You can have multiple saves

Bad:
-Some animations look wonky
-Keyboard and mouse interface are not perfect.There is plenty of wonkiness when it comes to the mouse.
-No extra stuff like cg viewer or music mode
-Dlc is just a small selection of songs
-No added quality of life features.
Like text options(speed or history) or no refinement of the horrible movement system

All in all a rather lazy port from capcom. But it is still phoenix wright,probably one of the better vn games to actually play.Even if you remember who dunnit there is still dealing with he little details during testimonies that make the games repayable even months after you played them already.

People who already own the games on ds should not bother,especially since the rest of the games are still on ds.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I just finished Betrayal at Krondor.

There are hundreds of great reviews of this game out there everyone can read if they want to know what this game is, so I'll spare the details. Let me just say, it's as good a game as people say it is. Some of the best writing in any videogame, period. Plus, good combat, good exploration, fairly decent presentation for a game from 1993. The last third of the game changes things up enough to keep it interesting when otherwise fatigue could start setting in. It's the real deal, a true classic. Very much still worth playing.

I love posts like this! It's really helpful to hear about the merits of old games without nostalgia's obvious influence.

Running (slowly) through Baldurs Gate EE with an Archer Elf.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Beat Diablo 1 for the first time. Great atmosphere, stellar sound design and a beautiful UI. It's a tight, well-designed package and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Glad I have a trackpad or else I would probably have developed an RSI.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Pathfinder: Kingmaker sadly crashes my pc, so rather than trying to solve it I decided to play THE LONGING.

THE LONGING – A combination of an idle game and an adventure game. You play as a black little guy who has to wait 400 real time days until the king wakes up. You can do all sort of things to pass the time, or you can reopen the game a year and fifty days from now to see the ending. While you wait, you can explore the caves around you and find all sort of items.
The concept is really neat, and it’s worth checking it out on GoG. The game nails the visuals of the world and the interface, and a few screenshots are enough to get what the game is about.
Sadly there’s not much more beyond that because the devs didn’t really get the point of idle games. Most idle games aren’t about waiting, they’re about optimizing a robust system to finish goals with as little waiting as possible. This game is about waiting.
You control an avatar, you tell it where to go. It walks there really slowly. When exploring new territories you have to to click continuously to make it move, so you must watch as your avatar slowly crawls across the screen, rather than giving it a command to move and watching it move there without further input.
There is a system of location bookmarks that allows you to automatically walk to known locations, so you can do something else while your avatar walks there.
You could make the case that the game is a statement about life, waiting, depression, or video games in general, which Steam reviews do quite a lot, but that’s a cop out for a the lack of meaningful interaction. The game would be drastically better in an emulator, sped up to 400x. I was gonna play this while listening to lectures in the background, but this game isn’t engaging enough for that.

Last edited:

Citizen

EE, a lot of people said it's worse, but I still haven't heard a coinvincing argument

It had many changes for the sake of muh balinse that just made things less fun (subjective obviously). But it also had a lot of QoL changes, dual wielding and better perfomance

The real reason codex hates it is because of cheese vendor VO actually

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was just crowned king in Kingmaker. The game is fucking dope, I don't know why I ignored it for so long. The only thing that really bothers me is, it seems like sometimes my representative has a really low chance of handling an issue well, for no fucking reason. Even on a recurring type event, fucking 30% chance of success out of nowhere.

Why is this specific feast so much harder to organise, motherfucker????? :rage:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
He didn't say every attempt was EE. Maybe though I dunno

You still didn't list why it's worse than the original either

I completed both and I don't even remember anything in particular standing out as different, although there was a fairly large time gap between playing the two versions

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They streamlined the game and balanced it like a certain Josh would. It was disappointing. Your stats, attributes, traits and whatever they are called were changed for the worse. They changed resistances. Sure, they added some stuff like dual wielding and whatever, but it doesn't change the fact that the balance changes made for less fun builds.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You still didn't list why it's worse than the original either

i'm pretty sure a bunch of people, me included, explained it in the dos thread where the guy says he's trying it again 'this time for the last time'

and what do you know, in that very thread he whines about the terrible omnipresent voice acting

which is not present in the non-ee

but i guess it just isn't a convincing enough argument, what a shame

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Divinity: Original Sin, my fourth attempt
Which version?
EE, a lot of people said it's worse, but I still haven't heard a coinvincing argument

tries the ee three times, doesn't like it
people say he should try non-ee because it's better
lalala i cant hear you, tries the ee for the fourth time

yeah, you have fun with that
I have tried two times the original, and I am trying the EE now for the second time. I am stoopid, but not that stoopid.

Maybe I don't pay enough attention or maybe I haven't seen enough, but I haven't noticed any particular difference between the two versions. I think you really need to know what you are doing to notice any difference at all.

I have muted the voice acting, so that's no longer an issue. :positive:

Codex Year of the Donut
All you need to know is that the EE has tactician mode where the AI is way better, base game has near zero difficulty in comparison.
Other than that, large parts of the story were adjusted to make more sense. Companions actually have story arcs in the EE. You can find a detailed list of changes here: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572102#Post572102
and if you don't take Wolgraff then fuck you, his story is great

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
All you need to know is that the EE has tactician mode where the AI is way better, base game has near zero difficulty in comparison.
Other than that, large parts of the story were adjusted to make more sense. Companions actually have story arcs in the EE. You can find a detailed list of changes here: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572102#Post572102
and if you don't take Wolgraff then fuck you, his story is great

Sure sounds better than the default version (is this just codex flipping its shit over companion content)

JDR13

Arcane
Playing Phantasy Star. I finished the original version several times when I was a kid. I'm playing the PS2 remake this time.

I'm about 7-8 hours in, and I'm enjoying it enough so far. It's definitely easier than the original though which is disappointing.

Sad He-Man

Educated
Just beat Disco Elysium. You may not like it, but this is what peak storyfagness in rpgs is like.
There are definitely some lessons to be learned by other developers here.
I would not like this to be the next benchmark for rpgs, though.

The comparison might be overused, but what Disco does with RPG genre, Dear Esther has done with FPS one.
The scale and ambition might differ. The principle remains the same.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
and what do you know, in that very thread he whines about the terrible omnipresent voice acting

which is not present in the non-ee

I assume you can turn voice volume down to zero and play it without voice acting, which is what I do in pretty much every game of its type.

lightbane

Arcane
I've been playing Death and Taxes. Initially, it looked fun (you play as a Reaper that is tasked to reap the living daily), but it quickly became apparent the blatant SJW-friendly stance of the devs: A ridiculously high number of women researchers, mudslime names, using "they" instead of pronouns, making nationalists and gun-lovers pure evil people, etc.
Worse, it follows this moderntard belief that following orders from your boss is bad and you're punished for doing that, even though you don't have any other choice but to do your job, or you lose the game. Besides, since you can improve the world in an objective way and make it better by killing evil people, that argument doesn't stand on its own at all. Your boss is clearly shady, but again you do not really have a choice to not kill people.

It's like these choices that are all about not playing the game (aka not a real choice). The devs are also Estonian like the Disco Marxist ones, but at least they actually uploaded a torrent of the game for those willing to try a demo, so that's nice. Worth a try or two, but not worth buying at all.

I'm also playing Phoenix Wright 5, the first one for the 3DS. Visual improvements aside, it's more of the same, for good and bad. Funnily enough Wright has little protagonism as the writers try to make Apollo less annoying and more a character of his own.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Making progress in Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul.

Part 2 was shorter and with a more generic medieval world, but still very enjoyable.
As in part 1 I only used companions in the final stages, since some enemies are virtually impossible to beat without backup, especially for healing, buffing and debuffing. Direct damage spells are only slightly more useful than nipples on a breastplate.

UMo5xxi.png

FMXDMFH.png

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Yoku's Island Express – Really polished pinball metrovinia.
- It’s well suited for kids, which is really nice. NPCs constantly send you on quests for items and they use text rather than icons, which is naturally harder for kids to handle, especially if they don’t speak English. This should be changed.
- Music is 10/10.
- Moving around is extremely annoying. There are very few teleporters, and a non trivial amount of backtracking.
I haven’t played a pinball game in… well, I don’t remember, a decade or two. It’s fun, but I got my fill after three or four hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom