Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

JDR13

Arcane
After playing them again I can say that, in my opinion, that Thief 2 is a superior game.

I find that Thief Gold has a better story and is more challenging but Thief 2 just has a better level design.

I found Thief 2 slightly more challenging. I preferred Thief 1 though because I liked how it mixed in supernatural enemies with the human ones. Thief 2 didn't have as much of that as I recall.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After playing them again I can say that, in my opinion, that Thief 2 is a superior game.

I find that Thief Gold has a better story and is more challenging but Thief 2 just has a better level design.

I found Thief 2 slightly more challenging. I preferred Thief 1 though because I liked how it mixed in supernatural enemies with the human ones. Thief 2 didn't have as much of that as I recall.

They had some supernatural enemies, while not much, they were used in a decent way, logical placement and a nice break from the normal enemies.

Personally I found Thief 2 to be really easy, during the entire game I used at most 20 arrows and gadgets (even then its mostly due convenience). I found robots to be a lesser threat then supernatural enemies in the first game. I did like the Servants due them being so creepy, even if they were a non threat and underutilized, I do wish they used Golden Boy more often.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Rage quit Blade Runner.

Between running around random places to trigger random events in other random places, scanning pixellated photos with pixel-perfect precision for random and obnoxiously hidden details necessary to advance the plot, and now finding out that a critical character may or may not appear at a certain location to advance the plot again, and the jury is out on whether this is a bug or radiant AI, I really don't want to continue.

What the fuck are people even seeing in this? Anyone mind explaining? This game is just thoroughly shit apart from the purdy graphixxx.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
This was my third and most successful run in Neo Scavenger. Game is fucking tough man
N57UorD.jpg

Aside from that I'm like 10 hours into Black Mesa. It's been like 5-6 years since I played HL1 so my ability to make an accurate comparison is not great, but I'm certainly enjoying it

Also played about 14 hours of Bannerlord and wish in was more complete :|. I knew what I was signing up for, but still... You always want more I guess. It is fucking fun though

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Now Im going to play Deadly Shadows , I never finished it since I didnt think too highly of it when it was released. But maybe I just didnt give it a fair chance.

It was hard to ignore the Xbox influence at the time, and the pain from Invisible War was still felt. However years later with everyone being used to multiplatform development, and a lack of good stealth games in general, Thief 3 a very enjoyable experience.

HansDampf

Arcane
I've given Tyrian another chance but can't deal with it. It's like a great shmup for people who don't like shmups. The game is either trivially easy, thanks to overpowered upgrades, or hard for the wrong reasons. Worst of all is the lack of visual clarity. Just firing the main weapons creates pure chaos on screen. It's also hard to see enemy bullets at a glance when they tend to blend into the background or look too similar to my own bullets. And I have to deal with all of this at an odd 29 fps. The controls are sluggish thanks to the ship's inertia. And enemy bullets have this quirk of following the camera when I'm moving left or right, which makes no sense and looks weird. The best thing about this game is the soundtrack.

Next, The Messenger. What Shovel Knight was to Mega Man x Ducktales, The Messenger is to Ninja Gaiden. I've played for 2 hours, and it's looking like a nice game so far. But unless there are some big surprises coming, I can't see this land on my "bestest games I've played all year" list at the end of the year. It's just ... nice. Nothing particularly wrong with it, unless you hate this type of self-referential humor. Like, remember Ninja Gaiden?! Aren't vidya games funny?! The game is pretty easy, so far. Unlike Shovel Knight where you lose a portion of your money on death, in The Messenger you don't lose anything, but a small greed demon will follow you and steal newly-collected money for a short time. And since you have to backtrack to your death location and will collect more money on the way, it's like you never died in the first place.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Now Im going to play Deadly Shadows , I never finished it since I didnt think too highly of it when it was released. But maybe I just didnt give it a fair chance.

It was hard to ignore the Xbox influence at the time, and the pain from Invisible War was still felt. However years later with everyone being used to multiplatform development, and a lack of good stealth games in general, Thief 3 a very enjoyable experience.

I tried playing it yesterday but it is like playing Invisible War immediately after first game, it feels like torture for all senses.

I decided to put a hold on Deadly Shadows for a few months, hopefully I will get first two games out of my system enough for the third game to be playable.

Krivol

Magister
I just discovered Xbox Game Pass. For 18 PLN (it's less than bottle of vodka) per month I can play outher worlds, prey, bard's tale trilogy, football manager 2020 and shitload of metroidvanias - on my PC!

Perfect for current lockdown.

Started Outer Worlds and well... I would be really dissapointed if I would pay 50 bucks for this...

Krivol

Magister
I just discovered Xbox Game Pass. For 18 PLN (it's less than bottle of vodka) per month I can play outher worlds, prey, bard's tale trilogy, football manager 2020 and shitload of metroidvanias - on my PC!

Enjoy contributing to the death of consumer ownership.

Look - I paid for my favourites games more than once. Fallout 1 - bought it 3 times, Fallout 2 - I have 3 physical copies and GoG + Steam copies. Fallout New Vegas? 3 copies. Baldur's Gate? I have no idea, I probably bouth BG1 2 times, BG2 once, 1 collection + GoG BG1&2 EE (I know, that's a herresy).

I can check all those games I am not sure about for fraction of price: Dishonored 2, Bard's Tale 4 and plenty of others. Ican pay for them if I feel like this.

See Outher Worlds - I am great FNV fan - one of my favourite games ever. I really hoped for something on this standard when first heard about OW. And then Epic store; and high price, I was like... well, maybe let's wait. Then codex opinion (which is usually something worth a damn) - rather cold - and I just didn't feel like OW is worth a risk.

Now I can check it - it is really not worth 50$ and with my lack of time even during Kung Flu (kids, man!) I really don't want to replay it. I will finish it (maybe, still not sure about that) and try Prey or Bard's Tale 1-4. Why not?

How much money did you spent for games you have never touched or was quite dissapointed about? For me it was like tousands of dollars in last 10 years. XBox game pass seems reasonable way to check those games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
He's utilising a (reasonably priced) rental service. Make your fucking stand on your own. Did you say this shit to people who used Blockbuster?

Blockbuster is way different from Netflix, where there are now a resounding number of exclusives you can never own and only watch via subscription. That's where we're headed with games, and it's a very different place. But hey, no one gave a shit when people warned them about Netflix, and no one gives a shit now, and there's nothing I can do about it other than make weak ass jabs on forums. So celebrate, it means nothing and you win.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished Van Helsing 1. It's alright, the ARPG side isn't wonderful, but it has some charm (though I wasn't a fan of the magiteck/steampunk switch halfway through) and it doesn't overstay its welcome (finished in 12-13h). I appreciated having a sidekickchick to carry my loot and tank my enemies while I pumped them full of lead. I'd say that it was worth buying on a sale.

Switched to Warhammer Mark of Chaos, since it has been recently released on gog and I was in the mood for some Warhammer and some strategy (and it's not as if my potato computer can run TW:W). It's not a great RTS, but I'm still having fun. Listening to the Chaos dudes going full ham is fun.

I also continued Drakan, but I'm still not getting the combat and getting wrecked by the knights with flaming swords

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

I tried playing it yesterday but it is like playing Invisible War immediately after first game, it feels like torture for all senses.

I decided to put a hold on Deadly Shadows for a few months, hopefully I will get first two games out of my system enough for the third game to be playable.

Pussy. Deadly Shadows is quite the departure from Thief 1 & 2, but quitting it because "it's not quite Thief" is precisely why you've never played it through to the end.

It's not that bad of a game and may actually challenge you if you're well familiar with the Thief games because it's different.

For the negative side of Thief, click the link in my sig and get ready for a readin'. Then realize that Deadly Shadows, while having its shortcomings, will never sink that low.

Get in there, taffer!

Codex Year of the Donut
Finished Van Helsing 1. It's alright, the ARPG side isn't wonderful, but it has some charm (though I wasn't a fan of the magiteck/steampunk switch halfway through) and it doesn't overstay its welcome (finished in 12-13h). I appreciated having a sidekickchick to carry my loot and tank my enemies while I pumped them full of lead. I'd say that it was worth buying on a sale.
FYI they released a version of the trilogy with all three games stitched together to form a single big game.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Got to hell in Doom 3 and the boss area had massive framerate issues. Doom 3 has some weird frame drops on modern hardware, but nothing like that before. Good god, it was almost unplayable. I really wish the BFG edition didn't look like ass.

I discovered in only the last two years or so beginning with Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships that a LOT of older directX games have weird and completely unacceptable framerate drops on modern hardware or Windows 10 even if FRAPS or other FPS software showed at least a constant 60FPS.. The fix was usually to try the DGVoodoo2 wrapper. 9 times out of 10 it corrected the issue for me. Star Wars: Republic Commando for example is so loaded with microstutters on even the most powerful hardware that it's pure cancer to play it normally. DGVoodoo fixed it right up.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Pussy. Deadly Shadows is quite the departure from Thief 1 & 2, but quitting it because "it's not quite Thief" is precisely why you've never played it through to the end.

It's not that bad of a game and may actually challenge you if you're well familiar with the Thief games because it's different.

For the negative side of Thief, click the link in my sig and get ready for a readin'. Then realize that Deadly Shadows, while having its shortcomings, will never sink that low.

Get in there, taffer!

Man, I don't know why I haven't played these games in so long. I really should get back to them. Saw this on YouTube recently and it was good for a guffaw. I played about 1/4 of Deadly Shadows when it first came out but my system wasn't up to snuff. I hated the constant stuttering. I remember digging it though.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I was wasting my time with Ultimate General Civil War until I lost one battle during the Wilderness Campaign and the defeat screen pops up. Screw branching campaigns and screw that game. I don't often rage quit, but I made an exception there.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron

I dont see there anything worth bottle of vodka.

Get in there, taffer!

I dont doubt that Deadly Shadows level design is decent or even good and much better then "Thiaf" but the problem is still the bad UI, the visuals and the movement. If I didnt play first two games just before playing Deadly Shadows I probably wouldnt mind but it feels like going from driving a car to driving a tractor.

So yeah Im going to wait some time until I try playing that game again.

Comte

I was wasting my time with Ultimate General Civil War until I lost one battle during the Wilderness Campaign and the defeat screen pops up. Screw branching campaigns and screw that game. I don't often rage quit, but I made an exception there.

Yeah I rage quit this game a few times and then never revisted it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I dont doubt that Deadly Shadows level design is decent or even good and much better then "Thiaf" but the problem is still the bad UI, the visuals and the movement. If I didnt play first two games just before playing Deadly Shadows I probably wouldnt mind but it feels like going from driving a car to driving a tractor.

The interface is made to work with a gamepad of course, something I'm used to at this point, but I can't say I remember the movement being weird.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Felt like shooting things in the head so went through my library and settled on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl with ZRP mod. It's a very different experience from what I remember, now that I know the ins and outs, but it's still quite satisfying, especially shooting things in the head part.

Yesterday I put on my SEVA suit and loaded the Vintar BC with SP-6 rounds and made my way through the Red Forest and all the way to the Brain Scorcher complex. The sight of that thing is still fucking amazing. The sniper on top of one of the towers interrupted my enjoyment by taking potshots at me so I had to shoot him in the head too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom