Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Thrasher

Erudite
I disliked its mean spiritedness, definitely.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone knows of a way to tone down random encounters in Fallout Tactics? I'm fucking sick and tired of getting at least a couple dozen on EACH square. My outdoorsman skill is reasonable so I get to skip most of them (and with the others I just run out without fighting anything) but the sheer number, and the pause for each, means it still takes 5-7 minutes just to move from a mission back to the bunker, never mind trying to explore and find the special encounters. On several occasions I get 3-5 encounters pop up without the marker on the world map even moving!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sceptic said:
Forgot to mention I'm wasting my time with Fallout Tactics. Combat is fun (full party control, finally!) with the exception of the completely retarded RT mode. Graphics are pretty nice. Rest of the game, meh. Good for what it is.

Jaesun said:
ok thanks. And yeah, I read an old review and the specifically pointed out BE SURE TO FUCKING LISTEN in the review. Apparently that is something really important.
It is, in more than one place. It's not absolutely required mind you - it'll just turn seemingly trial and error puzzles into ones that makes perfect sense and are relatively straightforward.

Found the note and got my first message and read the 2 (red/blue) books. Now to figure out this fucking tower rotation thing..
I remember that one and it's not particularly hard, so rather than give you specific hints I'll just give some general advice on how to approach the game. Most important: keep a mental map of the island. If you pass by a building/item/feature that stands out, remember what it is, and when you find something later on that seems to be linked somehow chances are the link is key. If you're standing somewhere and can see some other feature in a way that puts it in emphasis, there's most probably something you can do. If you're in the tower this means you've passed the library - be sure to read the books that you can read. You don't need to transcribe them, but notes of what seems important helps (you obviously don't need to copy the whole pattern book...)

If you can resist, try not to read any hints (and definitely not walkthroughs).

:salute: Thank you good sir. And no, I will NOT use a walkthrough, because that's for fags.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just finished Mass Effect 2 with my paragon alien fucking Shep from the first game. More honest to goodness Alien fucking in the second one(My Shep cares not humans). Now just have to wait to fuck some more aliens in the third and the circle will be complete! Saved everyone in the pathetic 'suicide' mission too. Fuck, 39 hours of bumming around the galaxy preparing, then an 'epic' half hour on the 'ultimate badarse mission'?

Phew, need to clear my head from the 40 hours of repetitive combat, think I feel like a ragefest over ARcania but have to wait till it's cracked properly. Don't have the clear head needed yet for a proper game.

Oh and AP shits on ME with it's approach to combat. How fuckers rate ME above AP I'll never know.

spekkio

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Anyone knows of a way to tone down random encounters in Fallout Tactics? I'm fucking sick and tired of getting at least a couple dozen on EACH square. My outdoorsman skill is reasonable so I get to skip most of them (and with the others I just run out without fighting anything) but the sheer number, and the pause for each, means it still takes 5-7 minutes just to move from a mission back to the bunker, never mind trying to explore and find the special encounters. On several occasions I get 3-5 encounters pop up without the marker on the world map even moving!
AFAIK encounter rate is calculated based on CPU speed (same retarded way as in FO2), so you have to decrease your CPU speed using tools like CPUGrabber or sth. Worked for me when I tried it.
I'm not certain if editing game files will help, FO2 required special fix for that (.exe modification).

commie said:
Oh and AP shits on ME with it's approach to combat. How fuckers rate ME above AP I'll never know.

Mass Effect 2 has too much combat. Overly long missions with repetitive shooting. AP has much shorter missions. Still, combat in ME 2 is much more enjoyable. Even though it often takes too long.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Multidirectional said:
commie said:

Mass Effect 2 has too much combat. Overly long missions with repetitive shooting. AP has much shorter missions. Still, combat in ME 2 is much more enjoyable. Even though it often takes too long.

I don't think so and really only because you have at least some different ways to get through encounters, be it stealth, guns blazing, ghosting. There usually are a preset amount of enemies in an area that you can avoid or dispatch at your leisure and the spawns only come sensibly at particular scripted moments or if you raise alarms and shit. In ME2 it's just go into a room where you can hide behind shit(every room is full of obstacles for some reason, AP at least was more sensible with the cover), and clear the 3-5 spawned goons, then the 5 waves exactly the same after, followed by going through a corridor to fight another 3-5 spawned fuckers in 4-5 waves....FUUCKKK! No stealth, no avoidance...if it had even this it would be a far better game. At least some of the mission could have been Shep or other characters in stealth solo and there were too many characters to recruit that meant that most were ignored. I expected the final mission to let you control at least most of the characters in turn in a very detailed assault on the Collector Base(As they let you control Joker for a bit) where their various skills would be used, but no: Same shit as the 100 other battles earlier!

visions

Arcane
Duke Nukem 3D and the Keepers campaign in Age of Wonders mostly. Occasionally also working on my M&M6 playthrough.

Finished reading the Xcom manual yesterday after fiddling around with the game a bit, will probably start playing it seriously for the first time soon.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Finaru Fantasi III for SNES. Just got out of the evil empire factory where you get a lot of espers. Gau and Sabin with dual earrings make an already easy game a joke. I don't really wanna keep Gau for too long - I'd rather have someone who matters more to the plot and knows more than five or six words in my party instead. Yes, I'm gay.

Heresiarch

Prophet
After poking around different games, I finally locked down on Syndicate Wars with its excellent windows port mod. It's just great playing it the way it's supposed to be, with flawless music and performance. Too bad there seems to have no tension music with the port.

I think after finishing it FO: NV will be out, then I'll have a new game to enjoy (or disappoint at).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Fowyr said:
I don't remember where is file with encounter probabilities, but it was here. I confident. Almost. Too many time has come. :oops:
spekkio said:
AFAIK encounter rate is calculated based on CPU speed (same retarded way as in FO2), so you have to decrease your CPU speed using tools like CPUGrabber or sth. Worked for me when I tried it.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Turned out I can unpack the BOS files with 7-zip, but I couldn't find one that looked like it had encounter rates... settled for CPUgrabber, which is probably killing my system but at least I can get somewhere now. Stumbled upon Pitch Black and spent 2 hours trying to keep Riddick alive through it and then he just sits there at the exit doing nothing :x

This game is starting to piss me off.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Sceptic said:
Stumbled upon Pitch Black and spent 2 hours trying to keep Riddick alive through it and then he just sits there at the exit doing nothing

FO:T special encounters mostly not so fun jokes. Do you install 1.27 patch, btw? Game has several bugs like APC what cannot drive from third BOS base and so on. Don't forget what special encounters not so random. They occur only in the certain map squares. I tried to sqeeze five encounters from such place (four corners and center).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished StarCraft 2. Liked the ending. Now going to start either second attempt at Gothic 2 (+NotR) or my second attempt at NWN2 (+MotB). Don't know yet.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Fowyr said:
FO:T special encounters mostly not so fun jokes. Do you install 1.27 patch, btw? Game has several bugs like APC what cannot drive from third BOS base and so on. Don't forget what special encounters not so random. They occur only in the certain map squares. I tried to sqeeze five encounters from such place (four corners and center).
Yeah got 1.27 installed, and widescreen patch (playing at somethingx768 scaled up, good balance of detail vs view size). Yeah I noticed special encounters can happen on top of each other, walked out of Pitch Black and got another one (Bazaar I think) straight away.

spekkio

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Stumbled upon Pitch Black and spent 2 hours trying to keep Riddick alive through it and then he just sits there at the exit doing nothing.
You have a free slot in your team for him of course? :M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just finished Myst (and not using a walkthrough at all). What a fucking awesome game!

Off to get Riven from GOG.

Thrasher

Erudite
I finished HoMM V after much stopping and starting.

Now playing Age of Wonders for the first time. So far it pales in comparison to the MoM gameplay...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Jaesun said:
I just finished Myst (and not using a walkthrough at all).
Well done :thumbsup: I know far too many people who, even back then broke down and looked at a walkthrough "just for one hint"... then ended up using it to solve the entire game.

Riven is usually touted as a better game, but I personally find Myst to be superior in terms of atmosphere (and also, Riven is insanely difficult in parts. THAT one I had to use hints to get through).

So what were your (more detailed) impressions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom