Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
TOEE I've been running back n forth from Hommlet & Moathouse to gain EXP, hit Level 2, and was OK with everyone's progress - except for the Rogue in the party.
Is that all she can do? Just open locks, disable traps, skill checks? Because her combat contribution is pretty abysmal. Getting hit twice in combat and drop to the floor, asking for a heal. Over and over.

Maybe I'm missing something very obvious here but it's still not too late for me to reroll a new Rogue at this point in the game.
Party is made up of Fighter, Barbarian, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Welcome to D&D, I hear you have a problem with your 5 foot trap deactivator. Have you considered replacing them with a long stick?

RK47

Patron
Welcome to D&D, I hear you have a problem with your 5 foot trap deactivator. Have you considered replacing them with a long stick?
Is there a possible replacement that is more useful?
Maybe shd take ranger multiclass with rogue for longbow?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Roll a warrior, eat up the damn damage. Or roll another heavily armored cleric then eat the damage and heal it afterwards.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is that all she can do?
Don't worry. At later levels, your rouge will deal 120 damage per round and you will use him to cheese enemies with damage reduction.

Edit: And somehow you'll still not be able to disable traps. Wow.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
Yeah, once the wizard gets Web & Invisibility spell nothing catches me by surprise anymore.
Invis the Barbarian, zoom around look for threats.
Prep a nice Web to isolate targets then slowly whittle them down one by one.
Funny shit, my Lawful Evil party managed to get to Lareth without fighting and convinced him that we wanted to join up.

unknown.png

He agrees and the party gets a level 5 Cleric, a ridiculous powerhouse with self-buff, summoning, party buff, and tank. With two-weapon fighting. :lol:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
All Strenght Clerics With Polearms is my favorite party. Everyone gets Enlarge Person and Bull's Strength, with double the AoO range of a polearm, which tends to cover a good chunk of the battlefield.

Adon

Arcane
Started up Assassin's Creed: Odyssey not too long ago. This is the first AC game I've played since the first one released in 2007.

I've been playing it for a while and couldn't quite understand what kept me going. Started out on Hard, but didn't take me too long to lower to the difficulty once I saw the awful level scaling that the game has. Much like typical Ubisoft games of past, it's littered with tons of filler content from forts with arbitrarily simple objectives to "conquest" battles that puts either the Athenians or Spartans in control of a portion of land which plays absolutely no part into the story right after it's introduced. Upgrading your equipment eventually starts to become expensive not too long after a few hours into the game, and the game does nothing to make up for the rising costs of this and instead still shells out a small amounts of drachmae for quests and sellable items; and dropped equipment tends to be under-leveled more often than not. Suffice to say that I dislike the "RPG" mechanics of the game in general.

So what draws me in? I have to admit to having grown up watching Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: The Warrior Princess and in many ways AC Odyssey reminds me of those shows. Playing as the somewhat cheeky, but straightforward Kassandra (who knows who and what she is and never comes across as self-important despite her situation) along with meeting a plethora of colorful characters whom you do a bunch of far-fetched and kooky quests has a certain charm to it. The main quest seems to be going to for a Greek tragedy drama type of story, but actually functions more as a premise to explore the rest of the world while going on these adventures.

The combat itself seems serviceable enough, riding around in your ship is a fun time and nice change of pace, and I'm always a fan of a game giving you the option of changing how your gear looks. Not to mention the game is fairly beautiful and some of the vistas are incredibly gorgeous -- particularly islands like Kos. It's a shame the rest of the game isn't up to par, but I suppose that lack of focus (both in the story and gameplay) is a both a detriment and advantage to the game.

Might end up checking out Origins since I've heard plenty of good things about that game.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
unknown.png

OK, that's another 'fuck you' encounter. 5 tries and finally succeeded.
The game doesn't really make good use of character skill sets. Just lazy copypasta tabletop encounter without understanding player & DM interactions.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Why can't we have a Dawn Of War game like this with a full on RPG system in place lfor the heroes?. It doesn't have to have dialogue, or a story.

Well, someone must have thought the same because that's how we got DoW2 singleplayer. In a sense that "RPG systems" amounted to loot and stat progression.

1035788-dow2-2009-05-25-22-39-03-22.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just used the submarine in Underrail. I've been killing stuff right and left. The atmosphere in this new place is quite cool. I saw a strongman with a gaping hole in its chest. It makes me go
sweatonmybrow.png

I'm about 15 hours into Pathfinder: Kingmaker and I've not even completed chapter 1. 100+ hours playthrough it is. I'm exploring the map and trying to keep a tab on the time, because I don't want to mess up. I'm exploring the map, trying to find as many places to explore as possible. The party is level 4, I think. I have a decent idea of how I want to build my main character, but I'm just whinging it with my companion builds.

In Tales of Symphonia, I reached the last scene before the final boss, but I'll do some side quests, unlock the Devils Arms, do the Coliseum and whatever else there is that I haven't permanently missed before entering the point of no return.

Other than those, we're trying to play Grim Dawn and Vermintide 2, 4 player co-op, but lately, we haven't been able to play these much because real life commitments are doing their damnedest to mess up someone's schedule.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished Spellforce 3, I played, finished and liked the first two game so the moment it got a decent sale I bought it. After finishing it I have a both good and bad reaction on it, its a best Spellforce game, with stunning visuals, probably the best looking isometric game of the new generation, it has decent RPG gameplay, bland RTS gameplay, decent writing that still manages to be more interesting then most modern games, which is not much of a praise.

As a Spellforce game its great and well worth playing, the problem is that the parts when you lead only your party are so much more interesting then RTS parts. So the bad reaction comes from this constant thought I had while playing this game that if the developers removed the RTS part and just expanded the rest of the game with more quests, dialogs and made the combat system more complex this could have been the true Baldurs Gate successor.

So I recommend the game, its fun, even if not prefect, well worth buying and supporting the developers as I want to see what else will they produce in the future.

cosmicray

Savant
Half-Life 2. Wow, after playing through HL1 and its EPs, HL2 feels quite inferior. Those fucking blowing up barrels! Gunplay with combines is boring as hell. I like the environments and atmospheric aspect, but the main one - combat - feels so bland. I'm on boat now, so the game should pick up after that, IIRC. (I still like the boat sequence, though)
And the whole premise of "Savior and shit" is over the top.

I like the menu, where you're the observer of sorts of a peaceful environement. I almost wish HL2 was more of a walking simulator with this kind of lonely atmosphere.

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane
I just finished my replay of Deus Ex and this time I joined the illuminati. Now it's my turn to decide everyone's immigration policies. :obviously:

During my playthrough i focused mainly on my rifle skill and i maxed it out. Enjoyed using the assault rifle and especially it's alternate fire grenades/rockets or whatever the fuck it's shooting. Who needs LAMs, anyway?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
OK, so no mods and patches needed for Fallout Tactics.
The GOG version supports resolutions up to 1920x1080 so I guess it's already patched with some kind of widescreen patch, official or not.

Anyway, what control scheme do people recommend? Continious Turn Based or Individual or Squad Turn Based? The former feels like RTwP, I guess, due to the simultaneity of actions, so it feels more "realistic", while the latter I guess give you better control and is more like the F1 and F2.

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
The GOG version supports resolutions up to 1920x1080 so I guess it's already patched with some kind of widescreen patch, official or not.

Gog has the "new" Bethesda versions that have widescreen support unless you got the old Classic version some time ago

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Anyway, what control scheme do people recommend? Continious Turn Based or Individual or Squad Turn Based? The former feels like RTwP, I guess, due to the simultaneity of actions, so it feels more "realistic", while the latter I guess give you better control and is more like the F1 and F2.
I played mostly squad turn based, and it works just fine that way. You can always switch back and forth depending on the circumstances. My advice would be to try them both early on and go with the one you like best.

RK47

Patron
Feels good thrashing that encounter.
I gave scrolls to my Rogue and she doesn't feel that useless anymore.

MYFjlkC.jpg

The best part of the encounter is probably Charming the Leader and putting to sleep around 8 brigands.
End the fight by slowly stabbing the charmed Leader and coup de grace the sleepers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom