Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games did you complete in 2018?

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Might & Magic 4
Tales of Maj'Eyal
Temple of Elemental Evil(Ironman)

+
Arcanum

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
  • Hollow Knight (in progress, actually im stuck on the crystal caverns)
  • The Bard's Tale 1 remaster
  • Warsim: The Realm of Aslona - in no way close to finished but it reminded me of old BBS doorgames and was fun for a couple hours
  • Templar Battleforce
  • Stranger of Sword City
  • DUNGEONS OF CHAOS - party based RPG well worth checking out
  • Shigatari - FTL type gameplay events with a unique turn based combat system
  • Zombie Night Terror - good if you like lemmings
  • Crypt of the NecroDancer
  • Caves of Qud
  • West of Loathing
  • The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
  • Fallout 1.5 - this is a great fallout mod
  • TOME - i was killed on the last section but fuck me if im going through all that again

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
  • R-Type I (1-ALL, the 2-ALL still eludes me to this very day)
  • Alien Soldier (Superhard)
  • Infinos Gaiden (Hard)
  • Ys: Memories of Celceta
  • DESYNC
  • Sin & Punishment (Hard)
  • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Hard)
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars (Hard 1-ALL)
  • ZeroRanger (2-ALL)
  • Descent II (Insane, Cold Start, No Mid-Level Saves)
  • Overload (Insane+)
  • Quake (replay)
  • Quake: Arcane Dimensions
  • The Ninja Warriors Again (Hard w/ Ninja, Kunoichi, Kamaitachi)
  • Devil May Cry 1 (Hard, should complete Dante Must Die before Christmas)
  • Aztez
  • Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter
  • Castlevania (1-ALL)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1. The Beginner's Guide - 2h (PC)
2. Words for Evil - 4h (PC)
3. Spellforce II: Shadow Wars - 35h (PC)
4. Crescent Bay - 20m (PC)
5. Dreamfall Chapters: The Final Cut - 21h (PC)
6. XBLAZE: Lost Memories - 9h (PS3)
7. Pixel Puzzles: UndeadZ - 5h (PC)
8. Ultima VII: The Black Gate - 39h (PC)
9. The Sexy Brutale - 7,5h (PC)
10. The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 - 22h (PS3)
11. Ys Seven - 30h (PSP)
12. Assault Android Cactus - 4h (PC)
13. Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy - 5h (PC)
14. Hitchhiker - 30m (PC)
14. The Darkness II - 6h (PC)
15. King Oddball - 3h (PS4)
16. Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord - 50h (PS3)
17. Game of Thrones - Episode 1: Iron From Ice - 2.5h (PS4)
18. Game of Thrones - Episode 2: The Lost Lords - 2.5h (PS4)
19. Game of Thrones - Episode 3: The Sword in the Darkness - 2.5h (PS4)
20. Game of Thrones - Episode 4: Sons of Winter - 2.5h (PS4)
21. Game of Thrones - Episode 5: A Nest of Vipers - 2,5h (PS4)
22. Game of Thrones - Episode 6: The Ice Dragon - 2.5h (PS4)
23. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - 57h (PC)
24. Faith of Danschant - 37h (PC)
25. Epic Battle Fantasy 4 - 16h (PC)
26. White Knight Chronicles - 35h (PS3)
27. Chainsaw Warrior - 12h (PC)
28. Girls Like Robots - 1h (PC)
29. Teslagrad - 6h (PC)
30. Aviary Attorney - 6h (PC)
31. TIMEframe - 30m (PC)
32. Quiet City - 10m (PC)
33. Dreaming Sarah - 2.5h (PC)
34. Persona 3 Portable - 104h (PSP)
35. Ghost of a Tale - 12h (PC)
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 32h (PSV)
37. Cosmic Star Heroine - 14h (PC)
38. Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora - 7h (PC)
39. Inquisitor - 59h (PC)
40. Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition - 11h (PC)
41. Machinarium - 7h (PC)
42. Hector: Badge of Carnage - 9h (PC)
43. Lost Civilization - 3h (PC)
44. Octopath Traveler - 100h (NSW]
45. Lara Croft GO - 4h (PC)
46. Orwell - 6h (PC)
47. Primordia - 6h (PC)
48. Beyond Eyes - 3h (PC)
49. Championship Manager 01/02 - 30h (PC)
50. Burly Men At Sea - 2h - (PS4)
51. AER Memories of Old - 3h (PC)
52. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - 30h (PC)
53. Kraven Manor - 1h (PC)
54. Ratchet & Clank - 12h (PS4)
55. Icewind Dale II - 44h (PC)

Last edited:

Okagron

Prophet
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Hollow Knight

Easily my favorite playthroughs this year.

Modron

Arcane
Want to see what autism looks like? I know I am forgetting some non-steam stuff I played but yeah this is what I have managed to complete:

Icewind Dale 2
Temple of Elemental Evil *
Prince of Qin *
Bastard
Beyond Good and Evil
Blackwood Crossing
Blood and Gold: Caribbean
Blood Knights
Boot Hill Heroes
Borderlands 2 kek
Contrast
The Darkside Detective *
Dex *
Expeditions Viking *
Faery - Legends of Avalon
Figment
Four Last Things *
GalCiv III
Galaxy of Pen and Paper
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Hard West
ICY: Frostbite Edtion *
Just Cause 2
Kathy Rain
Knights of Pena and Paper 2
Mad Max
Mars: War Logs
The Quest *
Shadowrun Hong Kong *
SKYHILL
Slayaway Camp
Snail Trek chapters 1-4
Stories: The Path of Destinies
Submerged
Sudeki
Tales of Berseria
The Last Door 1 and 2
The Technomancer
Tharsis
The Way
Venetica
Volgarr the Viking
West of Loathing *
Yakuza 0 *

P.S. Put asterisks next to the more enjoyable experiences.
P.P.S. I got like 50 games installed at the moment still :negative:

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The Longest Journey
Thea - The Awakening
Total War WARHAMMER II
Subnautica
Endless.Space.2
Hearts.of.Iron.IV
MGSV, or nearly finished.
Tropico 4
ELEX is interrupted.
Kingmaker well if I survive bugs...

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I can hardly remember the stuff I played near the beginning of the year, but

Rengoku: The Tower of Purgatory
Shin Megami Tensei 1
Stalker SoC, CS, CoP (replay)
Gabriel Knight 1
Age of Decadence (replay x 7 or so)
The Witness
Max Payne (replay)
NEO Scavenger

I think I spent more time playing multiplayer shit/4x/rogue-like type stuff this year

Edit:
I'll list the multiplayer shit/4x/rogue-like type stuff

Tales of Maj' Eyal

Got hooked on this again, after taking a year or so break from it, and played it non-stop for about two weeks. Still haven't finished it but managed to get further than before. Easily my favorite rogue-like.

Day of Infamy
The best WW2 multiplayer shooter I've played. It mixes a good a amount of realism with fast-paced, arcadey gameplay, and has a real intensity to it. The weapon handling and player animations are all very slick and responsive. And it has a small but relatively intelligent player-base.

Rising Storm 2
I really like this game but I simply cannot continue to play it due to the sheer, staggering stupidity of the player-base. The utter inability of people to get on and stay on the fucking point in an objective based multiplayer game made me want to throw my monitor out the window time after time. The newly introduced campaign mode is always a one-sided steamroll due to team stacking, with everyone trying to join the winning team after every round and the auto-balance being completely ineffectual (I enjoy playing PAVN and NLF but on the server I was playing on choosing North Vietnam meant settling in for losing 9 out of 10 battles).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I played a lot of shit this year, copypaste from my alter ego's signature with thoughts on everything:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
I liked it. A lot of the systems of the game felt underdesigned, but it reminded me of Oblivion in the best way possible with the simulation based design.
GTA: San Andreas
Fun game. Hadn't played it in ages. It's still as good as it was yesteryear. Last time I played it was on PS2 like 5 years back.
Max Payne 3
Completed it just because I got all 3 Max Payne games for like 5€ from a CD key site. I completed MP1&2 in December of the year before, I believe I did MP3 in February. Doesn't hold a candle to the first two but it was decent enough. Not something I ever really want to replay though.
Shadowrun Returns
A bit of a slog. Nothing really stood out about it, pretty forgettable and painfully linear game.
Hitman: Contracts
One of the two Hitman games I had not completed. I quite liked it, there were quite a few solid missions in it.
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon incl. Island Thunder & Desert Storm
Excellent tactical FPS, expansions were good too. The expansions added OP as fuck suppressed carbine assault rifles that made stealth focused missions a bit too easy, but a friend of mine told me to avoid them and so I did.
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
The least bad modern stealth game, in my opinion. I honestly quite like the game, the fast pace of the movement makes it quite enjoyable and I believe it is totally competent as a stealth game. I feel like people hate it for similar reasons as to why people hate Hitman 2016, because they think that this game is entirely like the game that came before it, while in reality it's not really like that at all.
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
One of my favorite games of all time, probably top 2 second only to Deus Ex. It's not flawless -- nothing is -- but setting aside slightly strange AI behaviors and one poor mission it's really 10/10.
L.A. Noire
It's decent. Honestly gets kinda repetitive and boring later on.
Risen
I liked it. Later on it gets really repetitive, but the first 15 hours are great.
Another World
Completed it in like 30 minutes on an Amiga emulator. Cool art, insane to think that one guy made it.
STALKER: Call of Pripyat
I turned off the game in my first 2 hours because I fucking hated how guns worked. An AK rifle couldn't even shoot accurately at 50m. It was ridiculous. I searched for a weapons overhaul mod and I found Arsenal Overhaul, which made guns satisfying, pretty, accurate, damaging and had everything serve its purpose which then made me really like the game and play it until completion. Great game.
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
A nice RTT stealth game. One or two weird/bad missions aside it was really good fun.
Max Payne
My second playthrough. Great game, although really short. Only took me 5 hours this time around. The core gameplay is just so fucking good.
Hidden and Dangerous 2
Excellent game. Stealth mechanics were poor and AI was weird, and playing it on second hardest difficulty really did make it pure hell, but it still felt amazing to finish it off at the end. Very interesting mishmash of RTT, tactical FPS and stealth game with a cool historical setting.
Gothic 2: Night of the Raven
I wish I hadn't played the game on ultra-nightmare difficulty, that being mage. Playing as a mage really made it difficult up until the very end. Still, excellent ARPG. More than likely my favorite ever.
Gothic 1
Way easier than Gothic 2 and no where near as good in all honesty. Doubt I want to replay it next year.
Hitman: Blood Money
My billionth playthrough. I really love this game.
HITMAN™ 2 Legacy Pack
Which is to say, Hitman 2016 missions in Hitman 2018. This was my second playthrough of Hitman 2016, the first being on a pirated copy. Really great game, mission design is superb. Better than any other Hitman game before it IMO.
The Dark Mod
This game doesn't have a proper "completion" per se, but I have completed about 5 or 6 FMs this year I believe. I also beta tested Grayman's newest FM, William Steele 4. It was cool to get involved into beta testing a mission like that, might do it again in the future.

Multiplayer crap:
Rising Storm 2
I love this game. I've spent 118 hours in it and that number is only climbing, I just got back into it again and the recent changes and additions have really made the game a lot better than it was before. Best FPS of 2017 and because labor of love has continued I will consider it best FPS of 2018 too.
Planetside 2
I spent about 200 hours playing it this year for about 2 months, and I quit again. There's great people in the game, but the core gameplay is really getting tiring. They fucked up tanks and ground vehicles so hard, they made airplanes just destroy infantry by spawnroom camping, the infantry play is getting boring because everyone keeps using cancerous meta gear. The devs have promised some good stuff like the DX11 renderer, which according to them will allow for 20% more FPS. Great stuff, but if the core gameplay is going to stay so shit I'm probably not gonna spend too much more time on this game.
Team Fortress 2
About 50-100 hours this year, I still like this game but I'm no longer too engaged in it. Casual play is boring because I am a godly pub heavy and I destroy casual servers as the class and competitive TF2 is a joke where everyone just plays only medic, demoman, soldier and scout. Taking a break before I start playing again next year or something. Or waiting until the Heavy update comes out.
Counter Strike: Global Offensive
It's not too good. I think the developers have buffed pistols and SMGs too far, nowadays pistols other than the Deagle can oneshot headshot armored opponents for only $500, this has really made these autistic eco Tec-9 rushes really effective. This has been the case for a while, but still bugs me.
Midair
Unfortunate fate, now this game is just as dead as any other FPS-Z game. Sad, I liked it.

Last edited:

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Let's see, in alphabetical order:

Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (finished the Roland Campaign)
Pillars of Eternity + White March
Pool of Radiance (again)

That's it.

Planned for completion in 2019:

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire with all DLCs
Pathfinder Kingmaker (it's HUUUGE!)
Curse of the Azure Bonds (again)
Secret of the Silver Blades (again)

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm... Off the top of my head:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Dark Souls 3
Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
Gateway 2: Homeworld
Nier: Automata
Might and Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum
KOTOR 2
Pool of Radiance (again)
Wizardry 8 (again)
Jagged Alliance 2 (AGAIN. Sirtech Canada, man :salute:)
Portal 2 (again)

If I had to pick a top three of the games I played for the first time:
1. Wiz 6
2: M&M 1
3: Gateway 2 (or KOTOR 2, not sure. Both good games.)

On PS4:

- Yakuza 0
- Yakuza Kiwami
- Yakuza 6
- The Witcher 3 (and DLC)
- Fallout 4
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- Dying Light
- God of War
- Farcry 5
- NieR: Automata
- Uncharted 4
- Firewatch
- The Last of Us

On iPhone:

- Planescape: Torment

On PC:

- Hexcells
- Half-Life
- Mafia 3

Currently playing (and aiming to beat before end of December):
- Divinity: Original Sins 2 (on PC)
- HITMAN (on PS4)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl (w/ ZRP patch)
- Arcanum

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
ブライ 上巻
ブライ 下巻 完結編
天神乱魔
Metal Eye 2
Vain Dream 2
魍魎戦記MADARA
Filsnown
倫敦聖霊探偵団

Dragon Knight 4
Taimanin Asagi ZERO
Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer
Startling Odyssey: Blue Evolution
Startling Odyssey 2
Star Breaker
Azure Saga
Dragon Quest XI
Efera & Jilliora
Emerald Dragon

nobre

Cipher
'New' shit:
  • Jagged Alliance 2 and Unfinished Business
  • This is the Police
Replays:

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
AvP(1999)
Max Payne 1 (replay)
Max Payne 2 (replay)
Doom 1
Doom 2
Quake 1 with expansions and Arcane Dimensions
Stalker SoC
Stalker Clear Sky
Stalker Call of Pripyat
Star Wars: Empire at War
KOTOR 2
Unreal
Bayonetta
SMAC
Ultimate General:Civil War

No proper SP campagin/MP

CK2
Vic2

a bit of multiplayer stuff:starcraft.insugrency,quake champions

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I really like this game but I simply cannot continue to play it due to the sheer, staggering stupidity of the player-base. The utter inability of people to get on and stay on the fucking point in an objective based multiplayer game made me want to throw my monitor out the window time after time. The newly introduced campaign mode is always a one-sided steamroll due to team stacking, with everyone trying to join the winning team after every round and the auto-balance being completely ineffectual (I enjoy playing PAVN and NLF but on the server I was playing on choosing North Vietnam meant settling in for losing 9 out of 10 battles).
What server do you play on? I'm Euro (obviously) but I mostly play on Right to Rebel and Bloodbath servers, both Kwan, ping isn't great but the netcode is good enough to handle it. The players in both are decently skilled and most of the guys are pretty chill and fun, although I do recall one dumb bitch that played on Right to Rebel every so often some months ago, she was constantly saying this fucking retarded "silly boys" tier shit in text chat and was always at the bottom of the leaderboard, abysmal fucking player. I think her name was nicole or something like that. I recall her once having 1 kill 15 minutes into the match and she was leading a squad and bitching about how every other SL wasn't "doing their job."
The only EU servers I can stand playing on is the Finnish RS2 clan one and Clan UK.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Legit only God of War and Red Dead :lol::lol::lol:

:negative:

edit: no wait, I finished my second Age of Decadence playthrough!

Last edited:
I've only finished 2 games this year, I think - and I had played them both years and years ago.

A replay of IwD + HoW, and the recent remake of Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap. In my old age I've become terrible at finishing games. It's very hard for a game to hold my attention for more than a couple of hours, I simply lose interest and go read a book instead.

Not even Dota is enough to keep me playing for longer than an hour or so, and I've been addicted to that game for the past 7 years.

Zibniyat

Arcane
You people play lots of games... I finished Vampyr, and replayed Warhammed 40K DOW (plus Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm). That's it. Dropped DOW III after playing for less than 10 hours.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
2 more games done:
Arma 3 Main Campaign (The East Wind)
Surprisingly good. The first two parts were pretty solid, but it kinda just fell off towards the third part. Although, the "Game Over" mission was excellent.
There were also tons of Operation Flashpoint references in the game that I didn't know until I played Operation Flashpoint, like the resistance faction being called the FIA in both games, and a lot/most of the cutscene quotes being directly from OpFlash.

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (actually Arma: Cold War Assault on Steam but it's the same game, and I got it for free ages ago)
The campaign was great, but there was a few meh missions. Otherwise really fun. I really hated the tank commander missions and one escort mission (luckily doesn't have to be completed) but other than that it was good fun. The gameplay aged really well, to my surprise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom